A Wedding Gift

Speaking Through Closed Lips

-Next day -

As I entered class I was greeted by a crowd full of girls lurking around my desk. I slowly slipped into my seat as the girls pushed and shoved their way to get closer to the desk next to me. 'What's with them? '

* Bell Rings *

"Good Morning! " The teacher greeted.
"Good morning! " The students replied.

"Hyelyn, put the answer only this time. "

The class quietly giggled.

As I was getting up some interrupted me. "Miss! I'll put the answers up! " Tia got out from her seat.

"Ok, sure. "

After putting it up she turned back, smiling at Hyun as she sat down.

"Good work Tia. "
(...)

During lunch I went to my locker pulling out the painting and brought it up to the roof as I ate.

-Hyun POV -

After class she, again, exited the room in a hurry. I got up following her, but Mina grabbed my arm tugging me back to their group. "I'll be right back, I have to go to the bathroom!" I quickly exited trying to catch up to Hyelyn..

She walked towards the lockers pulling a long covered board out and walked up to the rooftop. 'What is that? And why is she on the rooftop? '

She slowly slipped the white sheet off the board uncovering a painting. It was a different painting the one I saw in her room. This one showed a feild of gold colours under a blue sea-like sky. I watched her eat a sandwich as she painted at the same time.

"Oppa?" I turned around as a girl's voice called out to me.

"Oh, Tia. " I walked down to her.

"What are you doing here? "

"Oh! I got lost .. He he "

"The bathrooms are on the second floor. "

"Oh.. is that so? Can you show me? " I quickly skipped past her.

- TIA POV -

I followed Hyun as he rushed out of the classroom. 'Huh? Where is he going? ' He walked past the lockers, heading to the roof. 'Why's he going to the roof? '

I walked up the stairs queitly ithout him knowing. He slowly smiled making me curious as to what he was looking at.

"Oppa?" he turned around.

"Oh, Tia." he walked down.

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh! I got lost .." he smiled.

"The bathrooms are on the second floor. " 'How did he end up on the roof looking for the bathrooms?'

"Oh.. is that so? Can you show me? " He skipped past me.

I slowly walked up to see what he was here for.

"Tia! "

- HYUN POV -

I skipped down, "So which way is it? "

No response came so I looked back. "Tia? " I ran back up and grabbed her arm. "Tia!"

She looked back shocked. "Huh? "
"Can you show me where the bathroom is? " I smiled at her.

"Sure... "

"Great! can you hurry though ? Please!"

"Ah! Oh yeah, sorry! " she rushed in as I followed her behind. 
------- ------- ------- ------- ----------
- Hyelyn POV -

*Ring!!* 
The school bell finally rang allowing me to leave the premises. 

It had been a few days since he stopped walking me home. I guess he finally gave up; I was relieved. Today I had stayed after school to finish up the painting in time for the contest. The Sun had started to set when I noticed something in the bushes. A small weak noise breaking on and off from within a bush. I moved the bushes to the side and saw some goldish brown fur.

'A puppy!' Its leg was stuck in between a few branches entwined with each other. 'How'd it get here?' I undid the branch and carefully lifted it, looking for a collar. A name tag hung from a red strap around it's neck, but it had faded revealing only it's name. 'Pumpkin ' It was a small pup, gold in colour. However now that I looked at it, it had a sort of orange tint to it. I looked around for it's owner, but no one was there. 'I guess I'll have to keep you until we find your owner.' I gently held it as I continued to walk to my house.

- HYUN POV -

As she suddenly stopped I quickly hid behind a closeby tree. 'She couldn't have noticed already! It's only been a few days!'

I slowly peeked out to see if I had been discovered, luckily I hadn't. She bent down and reached for something within the bushes pulling out something small. She picked it up and smiled before continuing to walk. 'So she can smile,' I chuckled "But what was that in her hands? "

(NEXT DAY)

-Hyelyn POV-

The maid came in waking me up. I got dressed and headed down for breakfast.
"Oh there you are!" My step mother walked in.

'What does she want now? ' I looked to her. She jumped in front smiling from ear to ear.

"We have to tell you something!" she walked me into the living room.

I found my father and that boy, with who I assumed to be his parents. They greeted me smiling. He got up and waited for me to be seated. He soon sat back down getting the sign that I wasn't going to stay for long.

"Now then, since everyone's here we can share the good news! " she paused for a few seconds and then continued, " You're marriage date has been set a week from now."

'What?! ' My eyes widened in shock, but she continued eagerly since no-one else seemed to be shocked. 'Was I the only one who didn't know this?!' I rushed out if the room.

"Hyelyn, I know this is short notice, but please cooperate. " she called from behind.

I quickly ran out of the house wiping my tears as they fell down my cheeks.

"Hyelyn!" She shouted again.

(...)

"Honey, the Sun's already set. I think we need to send someone to get her." The woman panicked.

" I'll go." the boy spoke. 
"Son."
"It's okay, I'll bring her home. This could be good for our relationship." he persuaded. 
"I guess your right. Please bring her home soon. "
He ran out, and grabbed one of the cars. 
'What is she thinking..'
(...)

The Sun was setting and I still hadn't found her. As I was about to go back I saw a girl sitting alone with the same clothes as Hyelyn. 'Hyelyn?' I parked the car and got out. I slowly walked up to her. "Hyelyn?"

She turned around, her eyes teary. She quickly wiped her  wet cheeks and got up.

"Are you okay?... " She ignored my question and walked past me. "Wait!" I ran after her.

-Hyelyn POV-

"Hyelyn?"

'What is he doing here'

"Are you okay?... " He hesitantly asked.

I wiped my cheeks roughly and quickly walked past him.

"Wait!" he grabbed my arm as he ran up to me.

-Hyun's POV -

She looked back as if to say "What do you want?! "

-Hyelyn POV -

Without saying anything he walked me to the car.

I moved his hand away.
"Our parents are waiting... You have to go home. " He pulled my hand back. I tried pulling away again, but he pushed me into the car and locked it before I could get out. He drove out of the lot and drove towards the house. I tried unlocking the door, but it wouldn't.

-Hyun's POV -

'She really doesn't want to do this. Should I give her some time alone before returning home?' *Sigh *

-HER POV-

He suddenly took a U-Turn and drove in the other direction. "Don't worry I've got her. " he spoke into the phone before hanging up.

'Why did he change lanes?'  I looked at him a little worried. He looked back at me. 'What should I do?' The sun had already set and it was dark.

"Where do you wanna go? "

I looked at him confused.

"I know for sure you don't want to be at home. You probably need time to think it all over. Am I right? " he looked at me again.

I opened my mouth to speak, but quickly closed it again.

"You don't want to speak to me?"

I squiggled my hand signalling him for something to write with.

"What? Why don't you say it? "

'Is he that dumb? Can't he tell that I'm asking for something to write with??' I shook my head at him, trying to tell him that I didn't care, and looked out the window.

"Fine, how about I take you somewhere? "

I looked back at him.

Soon we arrived at a local (7/11).

'What, this is where he wanted to come? ' He got out of the car and walked over to my side, opening the door for me.

"Wait here, I'll be back. " He walked in to the store. I checked my watch, it was already 10, so not many people were around. A couple was leaving in front and only a couple of drunk guys were sitting behind.

"Excuse me." one of the men from behind me called. I ignored him and checked my watch again. "Lady, I'm talking to you. "

I continue to ignore him.

"Hey, lady." The men walked up to me. "How old are you, huh?"

I looked up at him, disgusted.

"Who do you think you're glaring at it? " He ordered in a rough voice.

I got up and walked to the entrance of the store.

"Huh, would you look at this girl." He grabbed my arm just as Hyun walked out and pulled me away from him.

"You okay? " I nodded slowly. "Good. " He smiled. I looked at him astonished and confused at his words and actions.

"Hey! What's with you?!" The man yelled again.

"Sorry, I can't allow you to touch my wife like that. "

'What?? His wife?? Who says?!'

"What wife? Look at you, you're still in highschool. " he flicked at his uniform.

"You know picking up an underage student is illegal? "

"Oh yeah?! " The man glared at him.

'What is he doing?? Does he have a death wish or something?!'

"Yeah. " He pulled out his phone and slowly dialed. "Nine.. One.. On-"

"Tch. Okay, okay! " the two men yelled as they walked away back to their table.

"Thank you for your cooperation. " He tucked his phone back into his blazer and looked at me, holding up a bag of snacks. "Lets go sit somewhere else. " He pointed at the bench across the street.

He opened a bag of chips and offered me some. I would've turned him down, if my stomach hadn't growled at the exact same time.

"Ha ha, good thing I bought these. "

I grabbed a few and slipped them in my mouth. A sudden fire burst in my mouth and I tried cooling it down, unconsciously wafting my hands.

"Careful! Their spicy, but I guess you know that now." He passed a soda to me and I quickly chugged it down.

*sigh*

"...oh, right! I got you this. " He pulled out a small box and handed it to me. "I know you don't approve of our marriage and think it doesn't make sense. Even I think it's crazy, I'm not saying your crazy. Just cause we're only 19, you know." He said everything in a hurry. "Oh, you can open the box." I guess he noticed that I didn't care. "I hope you like it, I thought it would suit you."

Inside was a necklace. I picked it up and noticed that it had a small ballerina on it.

-FLASHBACK -(9 years old)

"Mom what did you want to be when you grew up? " I looked up to my mother.

"Hmm, I think I wanted to be a painter, like my mom. What do you want to be when you grow up? "

"I want to be a ballerina just like mommy! " I smiled.

"Well, whatever you want to be, make sure you're happy. " She smiled back.

- End -

"Do you like it?"

I ignored him and sipped my soda.

"Here, I'll put it on for you. " He grabbed the case and tried to place the necklace on me, but I immediately got up and walked back to the car. He followed me and sat inside.

"Keep it anyways, think of it as a wedding gift. " He placed the case in my pocket.

(…)

We soon reached the house and saw that everyone was still there.

"Hyelyn! " My step mother walked up to me, holding on to my shoudlers. "Do you know how worried all of us were? Oh, thank goodness your okay! " She tried to hug me, but I moved aside before she could.

"I'm sorry for bringing her home so late. I just took her for a ride, I hope you don't mind."  said as he walked next to me.

"No, not at all. I'm sorry for making you go find her. She's really not like this, its just that the date is so close to her m-"

"It doesn't matter, as long as she's okay." My father cut her off. "Mr. and Mrs. Kang, I apologize for her impulsive behavior. "

"No, no. It's quite okay, she's still in highschool after all." Mr. Kang replied.

"Yes, he's right. There's still a month left, she'll understand when the time comes." Mrs. Kang agreed.

"Thank you for understanding." he replied to the both of them.

"Anyways, I believe it's time for us to leave." Mr. Kang signalled Hyun to join them.

"Oh, yes. Sorry for making you wait. " My step mother walked next to my father. "Please have a safe ride back. Until next week." she smiled and waved goodbye to the exiting guests. She shut the doors, and walked to the kitchen.

-No POV -

"Do you realize that you almost caused me to lose a great opportunity?! " her father yelled.

"You better get your act together. Next week's the engagement party." he ordered in a loud voice. "If you do anything like this again, I won't allow you to attend the dance school. " With that he exited the living room.

She walked up infuriated and upset. When she got to her room she quickly pulled her phone out of the blazer she wore. A small case fell out with it. She slowly picked it up and opened it again. The small ballerina stood there in her dance position, looking as if her hands were wings as she spread them, looking into the sky.

After observing it for a few seconds, she quickly shut it and threw it across the dressing table and continued to bed.