Passing Notes

Speaking Through Closed Lips

NEXT DAY- (at school)

"Okay, class as you know your paintings for the contest are due today so hand them in. Hyun since you're new, you can ask someone to explain it to you. The rest of you, set up your paintings." The teacher instructed the students as they rushed to set up their canvases.

"Hey, Hyelyn, can you explain this to me?" Hyun immediately looked to her.

She answered him with an 'I could care less' look before getting up to set her painting.

"Oppa! " a girls voice came from the right of him. "Oppa, I'll explain it to you," Tia smiled.

"Mm." he quietly agreed.

"Since this is an art-school, each senior class picks their best student by competing every month with their class mates. That student then competes with the other class's students, until only the best student is left. That student gets to win a scholarship to any school of their desire."

"Oh, sounds fun! But, is it mandatory to participate? "

"It's not mandatory, but why wouldn't you, right? " she smiled.

'It's not mandatory, then why is Hyelyn participating? She wouldn't need to use scholarships, she's already got tons of money.'

"Why do you ask? " Tia snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Actually, I'm not so good in the whole painting thing." He laughed, rubbing his head.

"It's not always painting, it's different everytime so don't worry. Plus sometimes we get to work with partners, I'll help you out." She smiled. "Oh! I have to go set up my painting now. See you later! " she skipped away.

"Yep! " he waved her goodbye and looked back at Hyelyn.

-Flashback -
I looked at the woman's painting, "Who is this? " Without a word she quickly pushed me out of her room.
-End-

'She doesn't seem like she's doing it for fun. ' He looked at her in thought, but immediately looked away as soon as she noticed him.

She placed her painting faced away from the other student's views.

"Okay, reveal your paintings as I walk by." The teacher spoke carrying a notebook as she walked up to the first student.

The boy took off the white cloth that draped over his canvas. A painting filled with reds and blues filled the space creating a beautiful landscape.

"Nice work." the teacher scribbled something down as she walked over to the next student.

(...)

Finally only two paintings were left.

"Okay, Tia" She signalled.

"Ne." She slipped the cover off, showing a portrait of a girl. She looked to be a famous actress.

"Wow, she'll probably win. "
"Yeah, I'm so jealous! " T
he students whispered to each other with envy.

"Nicely done Tia!" the teacher smiled as she checked something on her notepad.

"And, lastly is Hyelyn. " She walked over as all the eyes looked towards Hyelyn.

Hyelyn turned the canvas to everyone's view and slipped the cover off. Unlike, Tia's painting which showed a classy and sophisticated image, hers was a mess. Black markings were splattered across the canvas. Everyone stared at it, whispering to each other. She didn't care and slowly peeled away at the black paint that was scratched up. Little by little an image cleared up showing a beautiful woman, looking up and reaching out. Hyelyn slowly moved aside, showing the whole image. A black tear ran down the woman's cheek. Everywhere, but the corner of the canvas and the tips of her fingers, was shaded black and white. Her finger tips were touched with pinks and yellow hues as if she was reaching for the colours.

"Hyelyn..." the teacher stared in astonishment along with everyone else. "It's beautiful! " she smiled and quickly jotted down something in her book.

Everyone slowly got back to their desks and waited for the teacher to make an announcement. "Well." Everyone stared anxiously. "This hasn't happened in I don't know how many years, but there's a tie! "

The class burst into whispers of those that were happy and those that we're shocked and curious.

"The first winner is Tia. " Everyone clapped and others whispered, knowing that she'd be up there. "And the second winner is Hyelyn! "

The whispers and hands collapsed to silence except for one.

-His POV -

"And the second winner is Hyelyn! "

"Oh! Congrats! " I smiled and clapped, until I realized that I was the only one. I looked around awkwardly and then back at Hyelyn.

She looked at me as if I were crazy and then turned her eyes to the front board.

(…Lunch…)

*Bell Rings*

"Well that's lunch, see you later." The teacher exited, followed by Hyelyn .

"Oppa where are you going? " Tia walked up to my desk.
"Sorry, I have to go work on something in the library. I'll see you in class. Congratulations on the contest by the way." I grabbed my bag and followed Hyelyn.

"Hey wait up! " I jogged up to Hyelyn, but she kept walking. "Aren't you going to eat? "

She kept ignoring me and entered the library. No one was inside except the librarian and a few students cramming for a test. I grabbed a chair and sat down as she pulled out her homework getting to work right away.
"Oh!" I put my sandwich down.
She looked up at me, putting her finger on her lips telling me to be quiet. I looked around and caught the stares of the students and librarian. Quietly I slipped out my notebook and a pencil.

-Her POV-

He slipped a paper across the desk to me, but I ignored it. "Hyelyn~ " he whispered and I continued to ignore him. "If you ignore me, I'll just talk loudly."
'Like I care.'

-HIS POV -

'Fine.' " Hyelyn, why aren't y- Ah! " I held onto my shin.

"Excuse me. If you are not going to work, leave now. " the librarian gave a stern look.

"Hyelyn, write back." I whispered to her again. "Hyelyn. "

-Her POV -

He kept repeating my name over and over. *sigh* I finally looked at the paper sheet.

''You're not wearing the necklace? ''

I looked at him and then back down at the paper.

-His POV -

Surprisingly, she replied. I looked at the paper.
''No.''
'What? That's it?'

-Her POV -

'Now what? ' He slid the paper again.

"Why? "

-His POV -

"Stop this, I have work to do. ''

-Her POV -

"Can't you do it at home? ''

'It's better if I just find some where else to sit.' I packed my books and got up.

"Where are you going? " he asked.

"Shhhh!" the librarian hissed.

I exited the library and he followed. 'Ugh! How do I get rid of him?'

He kept walking next to me until I entered class and the girls raided him.

"Oppa, I thought you went to the library. " Tia walked up to him.

"Huh? Yeah, I finished what I went for. "

-TIA POV -

'He came in with Hyelyn. Were they together again? ' I looked at Hyelyn. Hyun sat down and also looked at her. 'What's with the both of them? '

(…After school…)

-Her POV -

As I entered the house I heard a loud scream from upstairs and quickly rushed up. 'What's going on?! '

My bedroom door was already open. I walked inside and saw my step mother on the floor, staring at the floor beneath my bed. 'What is she doing in here?!' I wanted to yell and get an answer, instead she yelled again.

"Why do you have that in here?!"

I looked beneath my bed and pulled out the furry creature. Petting it slowly to calm it down after hearing her piercing shriek.

"Oh my goodness!! Get it out of here!! "

'Whats her problem? '

"Don't you know that I'm allergic to dog fur?!!" she kept yelling.

I ignored her and put it on my bed. She stood up in a hurry and dusted her dress. I went over to my desk and quickly wrote down what I wanted to ask her.

"Why did I come to your room? " she looked up at me. "Do I need a reason? Your my daughter, I should be able to enter your room if I want to visit it."

''Get out right now, this is my last warning.''

She looked at me in shock and quickly left in anger. I locked the door and lay back onto my bed, playing with the dog. *sigh* 'You can't stay here any longer, I'd better find your owner soon.'