First Meeting

Speaking Through Closed Lips

" May someone please put the answer up on the board? " the teacher looked across the classroom. " Yes, Hyelyn."

The girl got up from her seat walking towards the front of the class. She wrote down the answer and quickly sat back down.

"Okay who's doing the next solution? ... Yes, Yumi."
(...)

At lunch time, she headed upstairs to the rooftop and ate by herself. Once school was over she directly went home straight to her room. After she was finished with her studies she had dinner with her parents without saying a word, took a quick shower and headed off to bed by 9. This was her daily routine. She didn't communicate with anyone, nor did she participate in any activities.

-Next day-

"Be sure to focus on your paintings, they will be submitted to the annual art contest! " the art teacher shouted to the class.

"Ne! " the class synced.

Hyelyn grabbed the paintbrush making smooth across the board.
"Very well done Hyelyn! " the teacher praised her, holding up her painting to the class.

"Tch." the girl opposite to her grumbled under her breath.

- Hyelyn POV -

Once school was over I quickly grabbed my belongings and headed home. As I walked in I headed for the stairs walking upstairs.

"Hyelyn! " I turned around to see my father. "We need to talk."
(...)

"As you know our company is merging with O.K. Corporations... " he looked at me. "And you've alreadyed 18, so you're an adult now.. " he looked at the woman this time. "What I mean is.. We've decide to engage you to their son. "

"What..." I mouthed in shock. I got up from the couch and rushed out of the room, smacking my bed room door as I entered.

"Hyelyn! " the woman yelled from behind.

'There's no way I'm going to let him pick someone for me.'

- NEXT DAY -

The school was silent and still empty this early. I put down my bag on my desk and headed down the empty halls, entering the art room. After working on the painting for a while I headed back as the bell rang.

*BELL RINGS *

The students quickly rushed to their seats as the teacher entered. "Good Morning! "

"Good Morning! " the class bowed and sat down.

"As usual Hyelyn will put up the answer for the first question." the teacher looked at me.

I grabbed my book out of my bag and flipped it open.
"...!" My eyes widened at the scribbles that lay before me. Someone had cut crossed out all the work I had done.

"Is something wrong? Quickly put the answer up. " the teacher repeated. 

Slowly my feet got out of my seat and walked to the front. I looked down at my book, hesitantly picking up the chalk. Slowly I wrote down the question and closed my book.

"What are you doing? " the teacher asked.

I drew a diagram, solving the solution step by step. I put the chalk down and sat back down.

"I asked for the answer, not the whole process. "

"Show off. " a girl whispered.
"What's wrong with her? Does she think she's better than everyone?? "
"I know right! I heard she doesn't speak to anyone cause she thinks we're inferior to her."
"What the! Just because her father's rich. "

I quietly sat there listening to them, if only they knew... No, I'm glad they don't. That would be worse, it's better if they don't know anything.

(...)

The bell rang, signalling the next class after lunch. I headed to the art room after lunch, grabbing the painting and sitting down. As I removed the covering, the paint tubes I held fell to the floor, my hands loosening their grip unconsciously.

"Whats wrong? " the teacher walked to me.

All I could do was stare at the black markings that ran down.

"Miss, she was just painting and threw paint on it over a small mistake she accidently made." A girl with long hair walked over carrying a black paint brush behind her back.

' What?! No! ' I yelled in my head. '..you...'

"What? " the teacher looked at me, "Hyelyn just because you made one mistake doesn't mean you have to throw a tantrum like this."

I looked to her shaking my head, 'No! I didn't-'

"Well, with this you won't be able to participate in the contest, I'm sorry. " she walked away sighing.

"Seriously! That girl has problems, it's one mistake, she didn't need to go that far. " a girl with short hair whispered.
"Well at least we don't have to compete with her anymore. " the long haired girl replied.
"Yeah! " the girls laughed.

I quickly grabbed my things and left.

"Where are you going?! " the teacher stood up.

I kept walking, ignoring her.

"Hey! Hyelyn!! " she yelled from behind.

I walked home in anger. 'Why?... I didn't do anything, so why me?! '

"Hyelyn? What are you doing at home?" the woman walked over.

I walked past her heading to the kitchen, and grabbed a bottle of cold water.

"Yah, Hyelyn! Aren't you supposed to be at school? "

I rushed upstairs, taking out my paints and board. 'The deadline is in a week... I'll be able to finish it as long as I start soon. '
I popped the tabs off pouring the paint out.
(...)

*knock knock *

"..."

"Hyelyn, I'm entering. " The woman slowly opened the door.

"Hyelyn.."

I kept painting ignoring her.

"I came here to tell you to get ready, we have an invitation to a party that you have to attend. I already picked a dress for you so just get ready and meet us downstairs soon. We're leaving at 8. " she exited.
(...)

The woman returned a few hours later.

"Hyelyn are you ready? " she entered. "Hyelyn?! What are you doing?! I told you to that we were leaving at 8!  We only have half an hour!" She stomped next to me, "If you don't go come with us to the party, I'll remove your name from the contest."

I stopped painting and looked to her. She stared back with a demanding expression and I put my paintbrush down. I had no choice but to listen to her, afterall I couldn't argue with her.

"Be down by 8." she walked out.

After awhile I walked down wearing the dress and heels that she gave.

"Good! Hurry along! " she smiled as she grabbed my shoulders.

I moved her hand from me and exited in front.

At the party I stood by my parents not saying anything.

"Ah! This must be Hyelyn. " An old man smiled. "This is my son, Hyun. "

"Nice to meet you, I'm Hyun." He smiled.

I looked the other way ignoring his hand.

"We're sorry, because we just told her recently... This is my daughter Hyelyn. " The man next to me smiled.

"Ah! She's just as beautiful as her mother! " he smiled at the woman next to him.

'Tch.'

"Oh! You're too kind! " she laughed.

"Well, lets leave the children be." the old man smiled as they walked away.

He stood their for a while in silence, "So.. "

I walked to the drinks and grabbed myself a glass of punch. He followed behind and grabbed the same thing. "I know this is sudden but come on the least you can do is greet me. " He smiled. I ignored him again and finished my drink.

"Well ... Then do you mind if I leave? "

I looked at him and shook my head.

"Ah, thanks! " he smiled and left.
Soon my parents came back.

"Oh? Where's Hyun? "

I shrugged my shoulders looking away in boredom.

"Hyelyn did you something? " the woman asked worried.

I ignored her and got back to the car.

It was already pass 11 once we arrived home. I changed and went to bed.
-NEXT DAY-
* Alarm goes off *

I opened my eyes and got ready for school. As I walked down my father came to the side, waiting for me.

"Hyelyn."

I stopped and waited.

"Today Hyun will be joining your class to get closer to you. It'll help you to become comfortable. Treat him well. "

'What? He's going to enter my class? ... That man is very persistent, of course I knew he would be like that.'

Once I got to school I walked to my desk, quietly and sat down right before the bell rang.

"Good morning! " the teacher greeted.

"Good Morning! " the class echoed.

"Today I have good news to bring to you! " the class looked up. "We have a new student! " the teacher smiled as he entered. All of the girls stared and gave their full attention.

"Annyeonghaseyo! I'm Hyun! Please take care of me!" He smiled brightly greeting the class.

"Oh, your seat is between Hyelyn and Tia "

The long haired girl, Tia, smiled as he came near.

'Sheesh, he even gave this guy a seat next to me...' I ignored his greeting and looked at my book.

"Don't mind her, her pride is too big to handle." Melanie, the short hair girl whispered from behind him.

- HYUN POV -

'So that's why she acts like that.' I thought to myself.

*Bell rings *

"Ok, then I'll leave you for lunch! " the teacher exited.

Hyelyn got up as soon as the bell rang and exited.

"Wait! " I caught up to her. "Lets have lunch together! " I smiled at her, but she looked away.

"Oppa! " A girl ran up to me, "Forget her, she's always like that. Have lunch with us! " she dragged me back to the class. I looked back, but Hyelyn was a;ready gone.

- HYELYN POV -

After the school bell rang I quickly exited, but he followed behind just as quickly. "Hyelyn! " he ran up to me. "I'll walk you home. " I nudged him off but he kept following.

'What's with him? Just leave me alone already!' I quickened my pace, but he did the same. I stopped and glared back at him, he looked away casually and stopped. I started to walk again and he did the same. I quickly ran trying to get rid of him.

"Huh?! Wait! " he ran behind me not able to catch up as a car cut him off. I slowed down and exhaled and walked home again. I finally got my house. "How was school? Did you meet him? " the woman kept asking questions as I walked in.

-Next day -

Again after school he insisted on walking me home.

"Hyelyn! At least say something! "

I ignored him and quickly crossed the street. He ran behind me as I ran ahead. ' What the!! Doesn't he give up?! Just go your own way! ' I ran into an alley way, trying to lose him, which worked. I finally got home. As I opened the door my eyes widened in confusion and shock.

"Anyeong! " he opened the door.

'What? How did he get here before me? And why is talking informally towards me?! '

"I hope you don't mind me talking informally. I just thought since we're getting engaged it'd be better to quickly adapt! " he smiled.

I looked to the woman who walked out smiling. "Hyun will be having dinner with us tonight! "

'What? '

"Hurry up and quickly get changed. Hyun come with me, " she walked to the living room.

After taking a shower and changing I headed downstairs for dinner.

"Oh there you are." the woman signaled me to sit down. I grabbed a seat next to him, which was the only one left coincidently, and once finishing my meal, I went back to my room.

"Hyelyn, where are you going?" The woman called.

I walked into my room and continued painting.

- HYUN POV -

" I'm sorry, about her. I'll show you her bedroom. " the lady showed me up.

"You can enter if you wish." she left.

* knock knock *

After no response I slowly opened the door. No one was in the room, just as I was about to leave, a painting caught my eye.

I looked to the painting, it showed a woman I hadn't seen before.

*Click.* I looked back as she walked in.

"Oh, who's this? " I asked.

- Hyelyn POV -

As I entered I looked up to see him next to my painting.
"Oh, who is this?"

My eyes widened and I quickly covered it up. I grabbed his arm and pushed him out of my room locking the door.

-HYUN POV -

"What the?? " 'What's with her?' I rubbed my arm as I walked down.

"Oh? You're leaving already? "

"Yeah, dinner was great. I'll visit again next time. " I smiled at her mom and left.