Epilogue. Us

To See Her Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Epilogue. Us

 

 

“Appa, why is it dark when I close my eyes?”

 

“Because there’s no light inside your eyes.”

 

“Why there’s no light inside my eyes?”

 

“Nobody knows, Haneul-ya, go to sleep and stop asking,” I groaned but a bit guilty for raising my voice especially when my daughter’s hand gripped tightly on my arm.

 

“But it’s dark, Appa. I’m scared,” her sweet voice pierced through my annoyance.

 

“You said you’re big now, right?” I moved closer and kissed her temple reassuringly, “Why are you scared?”

 

“I’m big but it’s dark so I’m scared!”

 

Finally, I laughed softly and hugged her tight, “Fine, big girl… shall we turn the nightlight on?”

 

“Hmmm… ‘kay…”

 

Clicking the lamp on, I noticed how my little girl pinched her eyes tight and my gaze shifted to her mother at the other end of the bed hugging our youngest protectively. She had been quiet for the past minutes and I thought she was sleeping. I grinned at her passing a secret message and she just sighed.

 

“Um… ma…”

 

Haneul called and Seohyun just hmm-ed. Ever since Haneul learned to converse very well, my wife and I also managed to communicate through body language. One look and we understand what we want to say to each other. And at the moment , I was trying to remind her something she promised awhile back.

 

“Umma, you’re sleeping in the other room?”

 

“You want us to sleep here, honey?” Seohyun asked without peeling her gaze off me.

 

I raised a brow as she snickered obviously teasing me so I groaned, “Jung Haneul, please go to sleep. You’re going to wake your sister.”

 

“But Appa,” Haneul turned to me with her eyes wide open now, “You and Umma will not sleep in the other room, okay?”

 

“Ya, you said you’re six and you even moved out of Umma and Appa’s bedroom last month. It’s the same as here…”

 

“Umaaaaaaa!” Haneul grumbled and frowned ready to burst into tears. I was already laughing recalling that night. She declared that she was old enough to move to her room. Her mother cried that night too and I assured her that Haneul was just moving to the next room and she might not make it through the night. However, our brave little girl really managed to sleep on her own. After a few nights, Haneul convinced Nari that it was time for them to be in their own rooms. It was Seohyun who didn’t take the change lightly but she lived through it. As for me, I am just happy to have more alone moments with my wife.

 

“Okay, honey… go to sleep,” Seohyun reached out to rub Haneul’s eyebrow to make her close her eyes. It has been a habit since they were a baby.

 

After a few minutes of humming and tapping my Haneul, she finally gave in to sleep.  I finally found my chance so I playfully poked her arm that was hugging Nari and said in undertone, “Damsel, are you sleeping?”

 

“Yes, I’m sleeping… and I’m sleep talking right now.”

 

“Aish… let’s go.”

 

“Go where?”

 

“Ya, Seo Joohyun-”

 

“Arasso…” giggling softly, she eased Nari’s hand off her waist as I did with Haneul. She stirred a little but thankfully, she just flipped on her side and lay on her stomach.

 

When the girls were sleeping soundly, we moved to the smaller room that had become ours for the past days. The night was surprisingly humid so we remained at the terrace for a few minutes just looking up in the sky and talking. A couple of minutes more, the stars were gradually covered with dark clouds and the wind got stronger, I moved behind my wife and s my arms on her waist. Seohyun smiled when she lifted her chin allowing me to kiss her.

 

“I love it when you do this.” She said, holding my face on her palm to keep me in place.

 

“This?” I dropped a soft kiss on her lips again.

 

“When you hug me like this and kiss me. I remember the first time you did it.” Seohyun sighed and closed her eyes, her lips spread a smile, “I always remember the first time.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter