CHAPTER 8

Guardian Angel

It was difficult for Yong Guk to pretend this was the first time he’s been in Soo Jin’s unit. Soo Jin offered him food.

“Kim Yeon Hee is the brat she is because she’s the daughter of the only guy everyone in the streets fear.”

“Andwae.” Yong Guk’s eyes widened, not this man. The only man that lead him to where he is now… dead.

Soo Jin’s eyes widened, “Wae, you know the guy?”

Yong Guk smirked, a cold one, “Of course I do,” he stared at his food, “Kim Jae Joong.”

“How’d you know him?” Soo Jin asked.

“I grew up in the streets, remember?” Yong Guk smirked at her, “And like you said, he’s the only guy everyone in the streets fear.”

Soo Jin looked at her fingers, *Should I tell him why I’m doing what I’m doing?*

Yong Guk eyed Soo Jin, *Now I know why you’re doing this in the first place.*

“Exactly how was your life in the streets?”

Yong Guk arched a brow, “Which version do you want, short or long?”

“Long and complete with details.” Soo Jin eyed him, *Will he open up to me?*

*Now you want me to open up?* Yong Guk looked at his hands, “Let’s just say you’re not the only one who sought revenge to calm the nerves.” He caught her stare and she looked away.

*How’d he know?* Soo Jin chewed down her lip, nervous.

“Long story short,” Yong Guk took a sip of water, “I wasn’t successful.” He said before getting up to leave.

 

 

Night came and of course Soo Jin was getting ready to leave.

In the midst of her preparations Soo Jin couldn’t help but have her head filled with Yong Guk’s last words.

“How’d he know?” Soo Jin repeated to herself the enth time that night. She was on the balcony, looking down at the city.

“Cause I used the same approach you’re using right now,” Yong Guk sighed, sitting on the ledge, “and look where it got me.” He eyed her, “But of course I didn’t have Reaper tracking my soul back then.”

“What the was he talking about revenge?” Soo Jin sighed, crossing her arms, “This is damn ing annoying.” She vigorously walked back in, slamming the doors.

“Glad to know someone shares the same tremendous sensation of both frustration and confusion.” Yong Guk followed in after her.

Grabbing her stuff, she shut the lights and headed for the door. Yong Guk was right behind her, but he was in Angel mode.

He brought out his phone and dialed Tae Song’s number.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Hyung are you mocking me?” Yong Guk snapped.

“Mworago?” Tae Song asked, astonished.

“You put me in this mission to save a girl’s life, but at the same time to remind me of the human life I suppress myself from remembering? What is this, a comic book story with a trip down to memory lane?”

“Yong Guk,” Tae Song sighed, “again, I apologize for never revealing everything at once. However, I didn’t wish for this to happen to you. Like I said, He assigned you, I tried protesting but He wouldn’t allow it.”

“Putting me up against Zico is understandable,” Yong Guk raised his voice, aggravated, “but trying to save a human from doing the exact same thing I did before? How in Heaven’s will do I even not let her continue with killing the one man who sent me to my grave?”

“I don’t know Yong Guk,” Tae Song sighed, ashamed, “I don’t know why it was given to you and I don’t know why you’re at this crossroad. But I do know one thing, you’ll save this girl’s soul without you knowing.”

Yong Guk pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, his temper at the brink of exploding.

“You know what, if this mission can’t be solved within a week, then we’ll just abandon her.” Tae Song said, knowing this would spark a growing passion for Yong Guk to finish this mission.

“No.” Yong Guk snapped, “I’ve never left any of my humans behind and I refuse to let my past be the cause of any abandoning.”

“Now that’s the Yong Guk I know.”

Yong Guk sighed, smiling.

“For a minute there, I thought I’d lost you.” Tae Song snickered, “Now get off the phone and get back to your mission.”

“Ne.”

“Oh Guk, remember one thing.”

“Ye?” Yong Guk arched a brow.

“This isn’t just a rescue mission for a human’s soul.” With that Tae Song hung up.

 

Soo Jin was watching the match in the ring while Yong Guk was watching her from the bar. He looked away when Soo Jin looked around.

“Jeogiyo?” Yong Guk raised his empty glass at the bartender, “Refill please?”
“Coming right up.” The bartender gave him a salute before attending to another customer.

“Ah, drinking to another lonely night, Guk?”

Yong Guk smirked and looked to his side to see a smirking Zico, “Well nice to see you too, loser.”

“Hey, you know that I let her win that match.” Zico sat down beside him and signaled the bartender for another drink.

“She’s a strong one, I’ll tell you that.” Yong Guk eyed the bartender who refilled his glass.

“Thanks man,” Zico thanked the bartender before taking a sip from his scotch, “yeah well tell me something I don’t know.”

 

Soo Jin saw Yong Guk at the bar and started walking. Then she realized she was talking to someone, Reaper.

“They know each other?” Soo Jin arched a brow.

She took a deep breath, hoping for the worst of this situation.


“That she’s coming here?” Yong Guk smirked, to hide his nervousness.

“She is?!?” Zico choked on his drink before looking back to see a smirking Soo Jin.

“I see my presence disturbs you, Rookie.” Soo Jin smirked.

Yong Guk carried his drink and faced Soo Jin, “What an honor it is to be in the presence of the five time champion,” he bowed his head, “my name is Yong Guk.”

Soo Jin eyed Yong Guk before deciding to play along, “What did you feed him?” she arched a brow at Zico.

Zico snickered, “The bartender’s urine.”

Yong Guk spat out the drink in his mouth, “BWO?!?”

Soo Jin rolled her eyes before walking away, “Whatever.”

Zico watched her leave with a grin, “The things I’d do to her when I finally have her.” He wagged his eyebrows of triumph at Yong Guk, “Wanna watch?”

“Nope.” Yong Guk got off his seat, “I’ve got better things to do than to watch a erted boy play with his food.” He saluted Zico before walking away.

 

Another match was about to start and Soo Jin was in the ring with a tall man. Yong Guk was watching with the crowd.

“A fallen angel interested in violence,” Zico whispered from behind Yong Guk, “am I supposed to be asking why?”

Yong Guk chuckled, keeping his cool, “You know my human life. Just because I’m on the good side that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a show of chaos and murder.”

“Sadistic,” Zico snickered, “You see if only you went to my side of the universe, we’d be best friends.”

“Thank god then.”  

 

Even though Yong Guk and Zico are sworn enemies they’re not the type to cuss at each other at sight. In the GAI (Guardian Angel Industry), Yong Guk’s the number 1 Angel and in the Demon Clan, Zico is at the top of his game; making the two automatic enemies since no one other than the other can defeat them.

 

“I’ve heard this unfortunate soul going up against our favorite Sparrow is a weakling.” Zico alleged.

“Our favorite?” Yong Guk arched a brow at him.

Zico smirked, “Let’s stir a bit of a challenge for our young Ms Sparrow.” He disappeared.

Yong Guk shook his head, smirking, *I hope you’re anger and determination will get you out of this one.*

 

Zico pushed the man’s spirit out of his body and stepped in the vacant body, “This is gonna be so much more fun now.”

 

“I now bring you another challenger,” Rap Monster started the introductions, “LEE~!!!”

The crowd went wild.

Soo Jin narrowed her eyes at Lee, oblivious to the fact that Lee’s soul was not in his own body.

“y eyes.” Zico winked.

Soo Jin scowled before getting into her stance, flexing her fingers.


“READY?!?”


Zico his lip, excited, “Let’s get this started.”

Soo Jin recognized that familiar phrase, *Someone said that phrase in the exact same way…*

 

“FIGHT~!” the horns rang and crowd cheered.


Lee was the first one to move, he lunged forward aiming for Soo Jin’s chest. Soo Jin stepped to the side and kicked his abdomen, sending him to the floor. Zico wheezed and struggled to get back on his feet.

*Damn this Lee guy can’t take a kick.* Zico wiped the sweat off his head before getting up.

Soo Jin saw his stance was unstable and aimed for his feet with her other foot. Zico leaped forward, dodging the kick. He raised a fist and jammed it straight at her abdomen.

Soo Jin smirked, slightly set off by the not so strong punch, “Weak.” She gripped the fist, twisted it and threw him in the air.

“Aish.” Zico groaned, his head the first thing hitting the floor. In a few seconds he felt blood dripping down his face.

*I hate this human.* Zico emerged from the body and shoved Lee’s soul back in, “Enjoy your pathetic excuse of a body, boy.”


Yong Guk snickered at the sight of a limping Zico. Zico eyed him and raised a finger.

“Not one, word.” He taunted before disappearing.

 

Soo Jin gripped the collar of Lee’s shirt and twisted his neck, destroying his air pipe. Lee’s body fell lifeless to the ground and the crowd celebrated.

“Now that’s the Sparrow we know~!” Rap Monster howled on the mic, celebrating with the crowd.

Soo Jin looked up at a special room that overlooked the arena. It was the only part of the upper wall that had windows, it was the room where she knew he was watching.

 

*One day, I’ll get you.* Soo Jin looked away and made her way out. 

________________________________________________________________