CHAPTER 5

Guardian Angel

Yong Guk arrived at his dorm, on Heaven Avenue.

“There you are!” Dae Hyun smiled.

“Missed me that much?” Yong Guk went to grab a drink in the fridge.

“Not really,” He sipped on his soda, “so how’s Soo Jin?”

Yong Guk froze and slowly looked at his friend, “You wouldn’t believe how knocked up that girl is.”

Dae Hyun grabbed a chair and sat down, “Try me.”

Yong Guk took a deep breath and started telling Dae Hyun how his day went. Of course Dae Hyun’s expression were exaggerated, even he was shocked to know a human could live a life that way on earth.

“That’s one messed up girl.” Dae Hyun managed to blurt out, stunned by the story.

Yong Guk could only nod in agreement, a lot of things weren’t making sense yet. What happened to her parents? How’d she get even get herself in tangled with Reaper? Why? How?

A beeping noise broke their thoughts. They looked at each other.

“What’s that beeping sound?” Dae Hyun asked.

Realizing what the beeping sound was Yong Guk ran off, “Soo Jin!”

 

Soo Jin grabbed her stuff and checked her watch, “Perfect.” It was twelve midnight. She closed the door to her house and-

“~!”

There Yong Guk was leaning on the wall with a paper bag and a hand in his pocket, “I’ve been having these sleeping problems,” he held the paper bag of food up, “wanna help me out?”

Soo Jin rolled her eyes, “And of all the people you possible know, you come to me for help?”

“Who said I knew a lot of people.” Yong Guk smirked, “Now about my problem.”

Soo Jin eyed Yong Guk, not liking how he’d appear around her so suddenly, “Go fix it on your own.” She started walking.

She heard him take steps after her, “If you’re wise,” she looked back at Yong Guk, “you wouldn’t follow me.”

Yong Guk stopped and held his hands up in surrender, “Kay fine.”

Soo Jin smirked, “See ya, creep.”

 

Soo Jin used the employee exit of the building and put her hood up. With her head down, she started walking. She played with a knife in her pocket as she turned the corner and crossed the street. The lights started to dim as she got closer to her destination.

“Oh man,” Yong Guk groaned already knowing where she’s going, “any place but this.”

She turned right in between two buildings and stopped in front of a door. She knocked and stepped back.

“Name?” a buff man opened the door.

“Sparrow.”

Ignoring the people who greeted her she made her way to the bar. She took a seat and ordered a drink. After a sip, she circled the rim with a finger while staring at nothing. Suddenly, a name enters her mind… Yong Guk.

She smirked, “Wonder how he dealt with his pathetic sleeping problem.”

Yong Guk smirked, he’s seated right beside her, “If I told you, you’d be more scared than relieved.”

“Isang.” Soo Jin shook her head, *Since that kid showed up… I’ve been feeling…*she shook her head, regaining focus, “Whatever.”

Yong Guk sighed, “What are you denying?” he then looked around, “And why are you even here?”

Not too soon a siren was blown, signaling the start of the tournament. People cheered and surrounded the rink.

“Welcome to the Iron Fist’s tournament!” Rap Monster announced and the crowd echoed with cheers and claps.

Soo Jin watched Rap Monster do the usual introductions. Yong Guk’s attention was diverted when he felt a familiar presence entering the club.

“Aish.” He left Soo Jin and walked towards the person.

There stood at the entrance, was Zico, his is eyes glancing over the people looking for someone.

“Woo Jiho.” Yong Guk approached Zico with a smirk.

Zico smiled, amused, “Thought only angels could see me.”

“Still am,” Yong Guk smirked, getting the pun, “thought I ended you ten years ago.”

“Thought, my friend,” Zico looked around, “thought is past tense. Therefore, finished, now I have a new inspiration.”

Yong Guk rolled his eyes, “I pity this new inspiration of yours.”

“I know you’re going to ask so I’ll tell you anyway,” Zico snickered, “I’m here looking for a damned soul.” He showed him Soo Jin’s picture, “Seen her around?”

Yong Guk kept his eyes on Soo Jin’s face, smirking, “You always get the pretty ones.” He then met eyes with Zico, “Haven’t seen her.”

“Now you know, lying is a sin,” Zico pat Yong Guk shoulder, “since it’s against your kind to lie, I’ll believe what you say.” With that he walked away.

*Another risky mission.* Yong Guk shook his head and looked up, “Thanks Tae Song hyungnim.” He made his way back to the bar only to stop half way, *Where’d she go?*

 

There in the midst of all the people crowding the rink stood Soo Jin. While watching, she felt a presence beside her.

“What do you want?” She asked.

Zico smirked, “I have a question,” he tilted his head, hoping that she’d look at him, “are you Sparrow?”

Soo Jin smirked but it didn’t reach her eyes, “We don’t ask questions like that rookie.”

*Ooh, smart one this is.* Zico smiled, amused, “Since I’m a rookie why not tell me who you are? Ya know, for friendship’s sake.”

Soo Jin eyed Zico, “I don’t make friends.” And disappeared with the crowd, *ing rookies, annoy the hell out of me.*

 

Yong Guk groaned and relaxed on his seat, he just witnessed Soo Jin’s interaction with Zico.

*Thank god she plays smart.* He reached for his drink and downed his cocktail.

Zico sat down beside him, “Enjoyed the show?”

Yong Guk raised his drink to Zico, “Amusing, so she’s the one you’re after?”

“Yeah,” Zico smirked then his lips, “she’s a fun one, think I’ll do my way with her before killing her.”

Yong Guk snickered to hide the nervousness in him, “So you like playing with your food before cooking them?”

“You act as if you’ve never seen me do that before,” Zico reached for an empty glass on the table and raised it in the air while looking for a waiter, “where’s your human?”

Yong Guk kept his eyes on Zico, knowing that if he looked away Soo Jin would be revealed, “Can’t I roam around earth without a mission?”

“Hey y,” Zico greeted a waitress as she poured him his drink, “others? Yes. You?” he waved bye at the waitress, before looking at Yong Guk, “Never.”

Yong Guk chuckled, “Judging will send you to hell, man.”

Zico smirked at the pun, “Hell sent me back to earth,” he stood up and downed his drink, “anyway, my time’s almost up. Gotta introduce myself to my beautiful prey,” he his lips, excited, “see you around.”

Yong Guk nodded and watched him disappear. *How the hell do I get myself out of this?* When Zico was out of range, he brought out his phone and dialed Tae Song’s number.

“Yeo-“

“Now she’s being tailed by my number one enemy?” Yong Guk’s tone was bemused, “Is this mission supposed to be worse than an apocalypse prank and the victim never finds out it’s a prank?”

“Okay, okay I get where you’re coming from,” Tae Song sighed, remorseful, “I didn’t put it on the papers cause I know the minute you’d see his name you’d turn the mission down.”

“I still am even after I just had a drink with my jolly old friend.” Yong Guk mocked.

“Are you sure?” Tae Song asked, dubious, “As I recall the Bang Yong Guk never backs out of a mission, especially if Zico’s in the picture.”

“I don’t back out since I know I can still win and fight,” Yong Guk explained, “but right now? This chaos you got me into? This isn’t something I can handle, it’s out of my league. I have no way to win and fight over this one.”

“Losing your hope already, huh?” Tae Song sighed, disappointed, “Well this is a first.”

Yong Guk was silent, even he was taken aback with what he said.

“I’ll be expecting you then?” Tae Song pressed on, knowing that Yong Guk wouldn’t just give in to defeat this early.

Yong Guk sighed, frustrated, “Okay fine,” he ran hand up his bangs, “anything you’d like to tell me about the next parade of events?”

“I knew I could count on you,” Tae Song smiled, “you can’t save her in whatever way you’re already planning.”

Yong Guk frowned, “Just a minute ago you were trying to get me to stay on this mission, now you’re telling me off?”

“What I mean is,” Tae Song snickered, “our traditional way won’t help her. Break whatever rule, as long as it’s for her soul…”

“Whatever rule?” Yong Guk’s eyes widened.

“Even our number one rule,” Tae Song added, “this isn’t just a rescue mission of a human, Guk.”

“Rescue mission? What do you- yeoboseyo? Yeoboseyo?!” Yong Guk gawked at his phone, “Ya~!”

 

Soo Jin found her way back to the bar and ordered another drink.

“Excuse me?”

Her eyes widened, *That voice.* she looked back to see a smirking Yong Guk.

“This seat taken?” He pointed to the seat before sitting down.

Yong Guk ordered a drink and smirked at Soo Jin, “Surprised?”

Soo Jin composed herself before smirking, “So this is how you cope up with your sleeping problems?”

Yong Guk playfully smirked, “Told you it was severe.”                                

Soo Jin unconsciously broke into a smile, “You are one off the wall creep, Guk.”

*Again with that heartfelt smile.* Yong Guk grinned, “I like to live up to the expectations of others.”

Realizing that she was smiling she composed herself again, *, did I just let my guard down again?*

Yong Guk’s grin fell into a flat line and realized what just happened, “So, met your opponent already?”

Soo Jin arched a brow, “How’d you know I fight?”

“I told you,” Yong Guk raised his glass to her before taking a sip, “I grew up around this kind of environment. Violence, revenge, anger, pride and greed…”

Soo Jin looked down at her glass, *Why is he reaching out to me?*

*Why are you pushing me away?* Yong Guk continued to watch her.

“I haven’t met him yet.” Soo Jin managed to blurt out, breaking the awkward silence.

“Well he’s met you.” Yong Guk guaranteed.

Soo Jin eyed him.
“You better be mindful with who you engage conversations with, rookie.” Yong Guk teased.

“He’s Reaper?” Soo Jin mockingly comprehends.

Yong Guk smirked, “Be careful around him.”
“I’m getting advice from a person who has sleeping disorder?” Soo Jin teased.

“I spend it all here,” Yong Guk pointed at the table, “watching the people.”

Soo Jin looked away.

“Something you should do too, just in case, I don’t know,” Yong Guk ridiculed, “you want to live the next day.”

Soo Jin’s pride was biting at her tongue, “I can take care of myself thank you very much.” She downed all her drink in one gulp, “I don’t need your pity.” With that she turned to leave.

Yong Guk yanked her back and stared her straight in the eye, “It’s not pity, it’s ing concern. Be damn careful around Reaper and start watching the people that move around you. If something goes wrong, I won’t think twice bout getting you permanently out of this livelihood.” He let her go and looked back at his drink.

Soo Jin, stunned, walked away with a poker face. Yong Guk’s words repeating in her head like a broken record player.

It’s not pity, it’s ing concern.

“Whatever.” Soo Jin shrugged it off with a cold shoulder.

 

 

“And now,” Rap Monster entered the ring, “the moment you’ve all been waiting for,” the crowd went silent, “please welcome our five time champion, Sparrow!!!” the crowd went wild.

Soo Jin put on her black mask before entering the ring. Yong Guk stood by the perimeter of the ring, watching.

*Use my abilities, you stubborn soul. May you be guided by my ever trustful wisdom and instinct.* He met eyes with Soo Jin before disappearing into the crowd.


*isang.* She looked at her hands and flexed her muscles, *I feel stronger…* then she scanned the crowd, hoping to lock eyes with him again.

 

“And now let’s welcome the rookie…THE REAPER~!” Rap Monster announced.

Whispers echoed from the audience as Zico stepped in the ring. He met eyes with Soo Jin and smirked.

“y eyes.” He winked.

Soo Jin arched a brow.

“So you are Sparrow.” Zico his lips, excited.

Soo Jin rolled her eyes.

“Let’s get this started.” Zico grinned.

 

“Ready?!” Rap Monster stepped out of the ring, people started cheering.

The two locked eyes.

“FIGHT!”

The bell rang and Soo Jin’s eyes darkened.

“Ooh, scary eyes,” Zico taunted, “I love scary.”

He threw a punch, Soo Jin caught his fist and flipped him over. She gave him a strong kick to the ribs before backing up.

*She’s strong.* Both Yong Guk and Zico took note of that.

Zico smirked and lunged forward with a raised fist. Soo Jin dodged the punch, went low and went for Zico’s knees.

“AH ~!” He fell to the ground at the temporary pain.

Soo Jin brought out her knife, stepped on Zico’s ribs and kneed his throat. She placed the knife right on top of his heart and eyed him.

“You’re going to kill me?” Zico choked.

*You kill him now, he’ll take you with him.* Yong Guk got on his feet.

As if she heard Yong Guk’s warning, she got back on her feet and got off the ring. The crowd started murmuring in disappointment of no blood tonight.

“Ey Sparrow!” Rap Monster caught up with her.

She took off her mask and looked at him.

“That’s it, you’re done?” 

Soo Jin smirked and made way for the door. Zico slowly got on his feet, *Swear it was evident in her eyes, the passion to kill.* he limped to the side of the ring, *Why didn’t she go for it?* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~