CHAPTER 6

Guardian Angel

The walk back to her condo wasn’t very peaceful. Soo Jin’s mind was on a fracas.

*Why didn’t I end him?* She glared at the pavement under her feet, *I felt it, he saw it too. The fear in his eyes were there.* Soo Jin roughly pushed pass the main entrance to her building.

*What happened to me?*

Yong Guk of course was right behind her. Heck, he had the triumphant grin plastered on his face.

“Regret really takes one big damn bite on the .” He snickered at the thoughts of Soo Jin, “For a stubborn head, you are very easy to manipulate.”

 

Soo Jin was going up the stairs when she missed a step and lost her balance. Thanks to thinking too much, she scraped her knee and elbow.

“Ah .” Soo Jin groaned in pain.

Yong Guk went human mode and ran to her, “Ya, gwaenchana?”

Soo Jin mocked him a smile, “Oh look, isn’t it my almighty savior.”

“Aigoo, you spill blood here on the stairs but none in the ring?” Yong Guk went down to her level and helped her up.

“Sorry to disappoint you,” Soo Jin had irritation all over her words, “even I wished I shed blood back in that ring.”

Yong Guk shook his head, “Why do you even do what you do?”

Soo Jin looked up at him and blinked in shock. She only realized how close her face was to his, now. She gulped and looked away, struggling to keep her composure.

Yong Guk felt her stare earlier and decided to ignore it, for her sake. He knew she wasn’t so welcoming to people.

“Never mind,” Yong Guk stopped in front of her door and put her down, “forget I said anything.”

Soo Jin nodded and turned her back to him, “Yeah well, hope you get over your sleeping problems.”

“I’ll try my best.” Yong Guk chuckled.

Yong Guk greeted her goodnight and Soo Jin could only give him a nod before closing the door. Yong Guk smirked and walked pass the door.

“Omo-na.” His eyes widened when he saw Soo Jin standing right in front of the door, her eyes on the floor.

*Why didn’t you just say it?* Soo Jin glared at the floor.

“Say what?” Yong Guk arched a brow.

Soo Jin roughly sighed, “Whatever.” Then walked away.

 

Soo Jin took a warm bath before pulling the covers and calling it a day. Before she could’ve fallen deeper into sleep she mumbled, “Thanks Gukkie.”

Yong Guk’s eyes widened at what he heard and his heart softened, “Woah, that’s new.”

He sat on the floor of Soo Jin’s room and rested his head on his arms.

 

Everything around her was dark and she sulked at the corner, her head on her knees and her arms hugging her legs.

*They’re gone, dead. They’ve abandoned me in this cruel world.* She repeated in her head.

The coldness and darkness stabbed her heart like sharp spears, reopening already healed wounds. Tears trailed down her cheeks and she couldn’t feel anything else but the weight of the world pulling her lower and lower in grief.

 

Yong Guk sighed, he was watching Soo Jin’s dreams. He put a hand on her forehead and closed his eyes.

 

Darkness was getting heavier and heavier, her breathing already rapid and uneven. She shut her eyes tighter in hopes that everything would change and that things would get back to normal.

Yong Guk was now in her dreams and he walked to her. Every step he took lit the floor and pretty soon light was overcoming darkness. He placed a hand on hers, feeling sudden warmth, she looked up and gasped. Yong Guk held his hand out and Soo Jin took it. At her touch the darkness vanished and was replaced with a warm earthy environment. Soo Jin let go of Yong Guk and awed at her surroundings.

“Omo.” Soo Jin smiled at the lovely flowers around her and touched every single one.

Yong Guk tilted his head to the side, observing her, “You like nature?”

“Not really,” Soo Jin shrugged and giggled, “but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it either.”

Yong Guk’s eyes widened at her sudden change of attitude, *She’s let her guard down.*

Soo Jin gasped in realization, “Omo,” she eyed Yong Guk, “what are you doing here?”

Yong Guk shrugged and walked to the giant oak tree and sat down, “This is your dream remember?”

Soo Jin arched a brow, “Yeah,” then she sat down beside him, “first time something like this happened to my dreams.”

Yong Guk nodded and eyed the wound on her knee then her elbow, “Aigoo, you didn’t clean your wound?”

Soo Jin giggled, “Jinjja? Aigoo, guess I was too sleepy.”

Yong Guk shook his head and placed one hand on her knee and the other on her elbow, “Check this out.”

Soo Jin watched as Yong Guk’s hands started radiating off a light, a light that made her feel warm in the areas his hands were. When he drew his hands back, she gasped.

“The wounds,” Soo Jin’s eyes glittered in amazement, “they’re gone!”

“Healed.” Yong Guk corrected.

Soo Jin looked at Yong Guk, “How?”

Yong Guk smirked, “I don’t know, this is your dream remember?”

“But-“

Yong Guk disappeared.

“Where’d he go?”

 

Soo Jin gasped awake and eyed her bedside clock, it was 7:30 in the morning.

“Just a dream.” She ran a hand through her hair, smirking, bemused but not bothered.

“Weirdly you’re always in my mind at some part of the day.” With that she got out of bed and grabbed her towel.

 

Yong Guk lay back on Soo Jin’s bed, closing his eyes.

“It’s because this is the only way I’ll save your soul, kid.” Yong Guk sighed, content, “Just you wait, I have a more exciting plan for you today.”

 

Soo Jin got to school and her confidence dropped from 200 to -100. She kept her head down while walking and avoided every eye contact. After passing by her locker she went for her classroom.


“Here comes disaster.” Yeon Hee greeted her as they passed each other in the hallway.

*You have no idea how I’d love to slit your throat open right now.* Soo Jin rolled her eyes and continued walking.

 

Soo Jin sat at the very back of the class and started playing Flappy Bird on her iTouch.

“Good morning class.”

“Ah .” Soo Jin mumbled, pissed, she had just died thanks to the unannounced greeting of their teacher. Her score was only 35.

She looked up and pushed back her nerd glasses, she wore the glasses to protect her other identity.

“We have someone new who will be joining us,” Mr Yoon announced while fixing his stuff on the table, “let’s welcome the new student.”

Soo Jin blinked at the door, slightly interested.

The new student took a deep breath before walking in.

“Son of a .” Soo Jin’s eyes widened in shock.

There stood Yong Guk wearing the uniform with ear piercings giving a bad boy vibe. The boys rolled their eyes at the girl swooning over Yong Guk.

“Please welcome, Bang Yong Guk.”

“Duhell you doing here?” Soo Jin mumbled and snickered, amused.

Yong Guk heard Soo Jin’s comment and met eyes with her. He smirked, “Annyeonghaseyo, Bang Yong Guk imnida. Please treat me nicely.”

“Alright,” Mr. Yoon opened his book, “find your seat and I’ll start my class.”

Yong Guk nodded and looked at his classmates, *Forgot how awkward it feels to have people watching you.* he found an empty seat beside Soo Jin and smirked, *Bingo.*

Soo Jin’s eyes widened before she face palmed, *Ah , the empty chair is beside me.*

Yeon Hee pushed the girl beside her off her seat and smiled at Yong Guk. Yong Guk looked at Yeon Hee with disgust, helped the poor girl up and walked away. Yeon Hee’s eyes widened.

“First time got rejected, ?” a boy said out loud, making the others laugh.

 

Soo Jin arched a brow at Yong Guk, “Following me around now?”

Yong Guk chuckled and sat down, “Psh, don’t lie you know you like having me around.”

Soo Jin narrowed her eyes at him before looking away, “And I thought I was the conceited one.”

“There can always be two stars, Soo Jin.”

Soo Jin smirked, *Whatever.*

 

Yeon Hee looked away, pissed, *They know each other?!?*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~