CHAPTER 3

Guardian Angel

Her eyes fluttered open and she recognized the clinic’s ceiling.

*Clinic? The , how’d I get here?* She slowly sat up, looking around, *I thought I was with someone?*

Her eyes passed the bedside table and did a double take. There was a glass of water and a cup of uncooked ramen. She reached for the letter and read it:

Drink the water when you wake up. Don’t forget the ramen! They’re a gift from the gods…

She broke into a small smile, before her face went into her natural poker face. Smirking she reached for the glass, “First time someone left me a letter that didn’t make me want to kill myself.” She took a sip and her eyes widened, “Woah, the person was right.”

Yong Guk was watching her from across the room, of course he was in angel mode so he couldn’t be seen. He tilted his head to the side, *Something’s off bout this girl…*

The nurse came in to send her off. Eun Mi was about to leave when she forgot about the ramen. Smirking she took the ramen and left.

Yong Guk smirked, *Something’s definitely off with this girl.* he got up and followed Soo Jin out of the clinic.

 

It was lunch time so Soo Jin walked to the cafeteria. She got hot water on her ramen, grabbed a pair of disposable chopsticks, and headed out. She was always alone and she didn’t mind it. Of course there be a few times where in she’d need a friend or at least someone to talk too, but then again this was her life. Park Soo Jin, the neglected, bullied student who has a very twisted lifestyle outside of school.

She sat under a tree and started eating her ramen. Yong Guk sat on a branch and watched Soo Jin.

“Separating yourself from the crowd,” Yong Guk said to himself, stating loud observation, “but commits suicide and uses that as a reason…” he shrugged and continued to watch Soo Jin, “Isanghae.”

Soo Jin finished her noodles, setting them aside with a content sigh, “Aigoo, that was some great noodles.” She reached for a bottle of water in her bag and quenched her thirst.

Yong Guk smirked at the compliment of his ramen, “Of course it was great, I gave it to you.” He sighed before getting of the branch, landing behind the tree. “Time to introduce myself, Park Soo Jin.” He went into human mode and walked to the front.

“Omo!” Soo Jin’s eyes widened at the guy standing in front of her, “You’re the guy I ran into.”

 “Yeah and you’re the girl that keeps falling.” Yong Guk gave her a friendly side smile, “You okay?”

Soo Jin blinked at the guy, analyzing what her impression was, “I’m fine now,” her eyes softened, “thanks for everything.”

The corner of Yong Guk’s lips curved, “I only saved you from your suicide attempt.

Soo Jin’s eyes darkened and she looked away, her friendly aura gone.

Yong Guk noticed the shift in mood, he sighed and sat down beside her, “I’m Bang Yong Guk, your almighty savior.”

That broke Soo Jin’s trail of thought as a smile threatened to appear on her face, “Almighty savior?” she looked at Yong Guk, her eyes soft again.

Yong Guk held his chin up high, “Since I saved you, you owe me something.”

Soo Jin scoffed, but not offended, rather amused, “Okay, what is it?”


“What’s your name?” Yong Guk looked straight into her eyes, *Even though I already know who you are…*

Soo Jin studied Yong Guk’s face, suddenly feeling a warm comfortable feeling at the pit of her stomach. *Why would he want my name?* she hesitated at first before answering, “Park Soo Jin.”

“Park Soo Jin.” Yong Guk repeated, his tone soft and caring, “As your almighty savior, you must never ever jump off anything again.”

Soo Jin, unconsciously, broke into a smile, “Bwo hae?”

Yong Guk blinked, distracted at her smile, *Wow, what a heartfelt smile.* he composed himself, “No jumping off anything.” He repeated.

Soo Jin’s face fell, conscious that she just smiled. *Did I just smile?* she touched her face, bothered. *This is the first time since my parents died that I smiled.*

Yong Guk blinked at her, *What happened to her parents?*

Soo Jin shook her head, regaining composure. She then looked at Yong Guk, she noticed his ring. Yong Guk felt her stare and started taking his ring off.

“A friend of mine gave it to me.” Yong Guk held the ring between his thumb and fore finger, he then looked at Soo Jin, “Wanna check it out?”

Soo Jin could only blink, *why is he opening up to me?* she slowly raised her palm to him.

Yong Guk’s finger tips brushed against Soo Jin’s skin, sending sparks down her spine. Of course, Yong Guk already knew the effect he had on humans.

*What was that?* Soo Jin fanned her face, embarrassed by the sudden feeling. She blinked back her composure before looking at the ring.

Yong Guk smirked, amused, *Why does she always want to regain her composure?* He cleared his throat, “This friend of mine, gave it to me for protection.”

Soo Jin looked at him.

“I was a troublemaker before,” the corner of Yong Guk’s lip curved up, “he was always there to back me up when I had thugs after me.”

Soo Jin’s head tilted to the side, *Thugs…*

Yong Guk looked at her, bothered that he got her attention with that word, “I grew up on the streets. You know, fist fights, guns and money.”

Soo Jin looked away, scared she’d reveal her true expressions, “Why are you suddenly telling me this?”

Yong Guk frowned, “I was just telling you the story of my ring.” He noticed her thoughts and emotions, *She couldn’t be like me…could she?*

Then the bell rang, bringing Soo Jin back to reality.

Soo Jin then got her usual self back, “Well, thanks for the storytelling.” She tossed Yong Guk’s ring up in the air.

Yong Guk caught his ring as he watched Soo Jin get up, *What’s with the sudden shift in personality?*

“Thanks for saving my ty life,” Soo Jin dusted her uniform before looking down at Yong Guk, “and the story.”

“Anytime.” Yong Guk nodded.

Soo Jin blinked at him before smirking, “See ya.” She then gave him a salute before walking away.

That moment before Soo Jin smirked, Yong Guk swore she saw curiosity and remorse in her eyes. *What is she hiding?*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mian no GIF for this chapter... Tumblr