CHAPTER 4

Guardian Angel

Class ended and Soo Jin left the classroom. She stuffed her locker with her books and rushed out of school. She wanted to get out of hell as soon as possible.

She sat on the chair in the bus stop, waiting. Of course Yong Guk was right beside her, eating fries.

“These potato things taste good.” Yong Guk chuckled, stuffing his mouth with more fries.

Soo Jin looked at her fingers and sighed.

Yong Guk heard her sigh, “What’s wrong now?” shaking his head, he got up and stood behind you. He went human mode.

Soo Jin’s eyes widened, *Why do I smell fries?*

Yong Guk smiled, *Got you.* he tapped her right shoulder and sat on her left side.

“Who the?” She looked to the right and saw no one, when she looked to her left she jumped, “Aish.”

Yong Guk smirked, “Ya, watch your mouth.” He continued to stuff his mouth, “Looks like I’m not supposed to be here.”

“Ya think?” Soo Jin scoffed before rolling her eyes. *Was he following me around?*

Yong Guk slowed his chewing, taken a back with her “new” attitude. He looked at the fries in his hands.

“You want some?”

Soo Jin slowly looked at the fries in Yong Guk’s hands, “Mworago?”

Yong Guk raised the fries closer to Soo Jin with a friendly smirk. Soo Jin gave Yong Guk an unsure look before getting two pieces of fries. Yong Guk relaxed when she started eating the fries. Yong Guk then placed the bag of fries beside her bag before turning back to angel mode.

“Hey, Yong Guk-ssi where’d you get these fries?” Soo Jin dusted her hands and did a double take to where Yong Guk used to sit.

“Isang,” Soo Jin looked around, “swear he was here.” She blinked before looking at the bag of fries, “A complete weirdo.” She broke into a small smile, reaching for the fries.

“There’s the smile I’ve been looking for.” Yong Guk contently sighed, watching Soo Jin.

 

Soo Jin punched in the code and her door unlocked.

“Oh man, rich kid.” Yong Guk looked around Soo Jin’s apartment.

Soo Jin’s unit only had at least three colors: black, white and gray. The floor was a marble light black while the walls were white. The interior were different shades of gray and black.

Yong Guk noticed a shelf with pictures frames turned down. He raised up one of them.

“Omo.” His eyes widened. It was a picture of Soo Jin and her parents. Yong Guk softened, *Is this why she’s like this?* Soo Jin was a teenager in the picture. She had a bright smile on her face. Yong Guk put the frame back down, *What happened to the parents?*

Soo Jin went straight for her room.

“Home at last.” She sighed as she started stripping her uniform off.

Yong Guk walked to Soo Jin’s bedroom, he stumbled at the door, “Elgomanida~!” he placed a hand over his mouth before turning his back.

Soo Jin was putting on her cargo pants just when Yong Guk was about to enter her room.

“Bless my angel abilities of not being seen.” Yong Guk sighed, “Omo!” Soo Jin walked pass him.

“Aigoo why doesn’t she put a shirt on?!?” Yong Guk cringed at the exposed upper body of Soo Jin. She only had a sports bra and cargo pants on.

Soo Jin rotated her shoulders and arms while waiting for her food to heat up in the pan. She was heating up fried rice and chicken.

Yong Guk took in her physical built, “Well she’s fit,” her toned muscles bothered him, “too fit for a girl who commits suicide.” He then noticed a scar on her upper left shoulder.

Soo Jin turned the TV on and sat on the couch with her food. Yong Guk eyed the TV, *She likes wrestling?*

Soo Jin was watching WWE while eating. She would smirk every time a body would hit the ring’s floor, but other than that she’d watch with a poker face.

*Is she sadistic?* Yong Guk continued to observe Soo Jin. He was already sitting on the same couch Soo Jin was on.

Soo Jin washed her dishes and walked back to her room. Yong Guk decided not to tail after her anymore, scared she might dress up again.

“She gets bullied in school,” Yong Guk said to himself, taking down notes, “commits suicide,” he looked around the room, “a rich kid with no parents around,” he then looked up to see Soo Jin walking out of her room, “but with a toned body and a possible sadistic mind.”

Soo Jin grabbed her car keys and put on her shoes. She put on a big black hoodie and checked her appearance on the mirror.

“And now she’s going out?” Yong Guk arched a brow and in an instant he was standing on the other side of Soo Jin’s door.

He went human mode and rang the doorbell.

Soo Jin snapped at her door, *Who the?* she cautiously opened her door to a smiling Yong Guk.

“Hey.” Yong Guk greeted, looking straight at her.

Soo Jin arched a brow at him before walking out the door.

*What’s with the sudden personality change?* Yong Guk watched her lock the door to her place.

Without looking at Yong Guk Soo Jin walked towards the stairs. Before Yong Guk could go after her she stopped and turned around.

“Don’t follow me.” Her voice cold as ice and completely dominant compared to her usual voice.

Yong Guk blinked at her, stunned at her new self.

Soo Jin gave Yong Guk a dead smirk before looking away.

Yong Guk turned into angel mode and followed after her. *No way am I gonna leave you alone.*

 

Soo Jin started the engine of her black and yellow Camaro and drove out of the parking lot. Her speakers blasting with party mixed songs.

Oblivious to Yong Guk’s presence, he was at the passenger’s seat deeply thinking. He then looked at Soo Jin, “Exactly what’s your plan in life? You’re a complete opposite of the Soo Jin I met in school…” his head unconsciously bobbing to the bass of the song.

Soo Jin drove like a drag racer, smoothly curving and shifting gears with ease. She’d smirk when she’d get to run out a freshly red light, but her eyes remained cold and distant.

*It’s that time of the day again, Park Soo Jin.* She thought.

Yong Guk arched a brow at her though, “Again, exactly how many times a day does she go through this?”

Soo Jin parked the car inside a hidden alley and killed the engine. She brought out her phone and dialed a number.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Anyone there?” Her tone was flat.

“Eobseo.”

“I’m coming in.” She smirked and opened the door. Reaching in for her bag she then shut the door and locked the car.

Yong Guk followed her to the abandoned building and slowed to a stop. He felt a dark presence towering over the building and it was a familiar presence.

“What in the world has she gotten herself into?” Yong Guk cautiously entered the building.

 

Soo Jin entered the abandoned gym and went straight for the mirror. She peeled her hoodie off her and plugged in her earphones. She started doing stretches and jumps to loosen her muscles. Yong Guk continued to observe her. He could see a different soul in her eyes, an angry and determined soul. Itching for an answer he brought out his phone and dialed Tae Song’s number.

After rotating her shoulders Soo Jin walked to a punching bag. She took in a deep breath before throwing a strong punch, the punching bag madly swinging from side to side. She waited for the bag to come at her before she started doing her combos of kicks and punches.

“Oh Yong Guk.” Tae Song answered.

“Soo Jin ain’t just a lonely rich suicidal girl whose parents are not around,” Yong Guk watched Soo Jin, “isn’t she.”

Tae Song snickered, “What happened today?”

Yong Guk told him everything, “And right now she’s beating the living day lights out of a punching bag.”

Tae Song smiled, “Park Soo Jin is not an ordinary suicidal soul. That’s her cover up, she needs a strong cover up for the real her.”

Yong Guk sighed, “Should I be ready to rescue her or something?”

“Ani,” Tae Song answered right away, “that’s not how you’re gonna save her. Just be prepared for something wild.”

“But hyung- yeoboseyo?” Yong Guk furrowed his eyebrows at the dial tone he was now hearing. He then glanced at Soo Jin with worry.

 

Soo Jin gave one last kick before falling on her back. She watched the punching bag wildly swing from the impact. After she called herself, a Chinese Get Up got her on her feet then eyeing herself in the mirror. Sweaty, messed up, confused and cold. Those words described her right now. She closed her eyes and saw reflection of her parents. Smiles on everyone’s faces, she missed that. Eyes open, reality pulled her back and her heart started aching.

 

“Ya, Sparrow!”

Yong Guk looked back to see a guy holding a bottle of Gatorade, “Sparrow?” he arched a brow and looked at Soo Jin.

She walked up to the guy and took the drink.

“Big fight tonight?” He asked.

She took two gulps of Gatorade before answering, “No idea.”

“Doesn’t matter anyway,” He smirked, “you’re Sparrow.”

Something was off with his tone and Soo Jin could tell, “Black,” the guy’s name, “you know my opponent’s name, tell me.”

Black smirked, “They call him… Reaper.”

Yong Guk’s eyes widened, “Andwae.” Memories of his very first humans flashed, all of them tortured by that very name, Reaper.

Soo Jin felt nothing at the mention of his name, “Nice name.”

Yong Guk smirked at her answer, “How can you be this calm when you don’t even know the danger of an enemy you’re running into?” he then shook his head, “I pray this be just a kid calling himself Reaper, not the Reaper I’d know.”  

After a few more punches and kicks, Soo Jin grabbed her stuff and headed home. Of course, questions ran around Yong Guk’s head.

“How do I even start asking her?” Yong Guk followed her to the living room. Seeing she went straight for the bathroom, he decided to wait out here. He didn’t want to see her half again.

After a warm shower, Soo Jin sat in front of the TV, watching The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. A thought broke her attention.

“How’d Yong Guk know I live here?” She arched a brow.

Yong Guk smirked at her, amused, “If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me.”

“Must be a stalker,” Soo Jin shrugged and turned the TV off, “a pretty creepy yet interesting stalker.”

Yong Guk watched her walk to her room, “Pretty creepy yet interesting… I amuse you now?” he smirked and looked away when the lights to her bedroom closed. He was then standing by her bed, studying her features.

“Sleep well you lunatic girl.” Yong Guk smirked. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~