Of Dinners and Sleep Overs

Home Run
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third Day.

“I can’t believe this!” I started to sigh as I see the pile of work to be done today.

“Fine! What’s with you girl? Wasn’t it just the other day that you were complaining about the less work that was thrown at you? Now why sigh at the sight of this?”

I tried to question myself.

“Oh whatever!!!” I loudly sighed as I positioned and readied myself to start finishing everything. That is if I would be able to finish everything. There were about 6-7 accounts that needed to be done. Then I glanced at my watch and learned that it was almost 11 in the morning.

“So much for lunch!” I continued to think in dismay.

At way past after lunch, my mobile phone started to ring. I hurriedly searched for it among the clutter that was on my desk. And when my fingers started to feel it, I immediately grabbed it.

“Yoboseyo?”? I sounded frustrated.

"Dara!” He sounded elated and I started to wonder.

“Oh Jiyong! What’s up?” I had a few thoughts on my mind as to why he was sounding a little happy than the usual.

First, it was probably because of something that he did with his fling during lunch hour. Or,,, maybe he was thinking of me.

“Tough luck, girl! Dream on!” My mind shouted.

“How’re you?” Jiyong asked. I swear, with his tone. I know that he had a silly grin on his face.

“Fine! Swamped with work though.” I answered.

“Awwwww! That’s too bad. Hey, about the game tonight.”  I heard him say.

“What about it? Don’t tell me that you’re gonna miss out on tonight’s game too?!” I suddenly sounded more frustrated.

“Oh no. Not gonna miss that for the world.” He assured me. So I started to slump on my office chair. My head was already screaming. “What then?”

“Are you on to something Jiyong?” I had to ask.

“Me? No!” He said.

I swear Jiyong has something up his sleeves. I honestly feel his smile at the other end of the line!

“Really now? Are you bringing a girl with you tonight? If you are, then let me remind you again that I won’t permit it. I’d rather watch the game by myself than have you and your girl watch with me.” I knew I sounded kinda rude but I just can’t let him bring one of his flings at my flat. That’s a no! No! A big no-no!

“Hey, I’m not bringing with me one. What’s with you? You’re sounding too touchy today. Is it the time of the month already?” He joked.

I just fell silent trying to recollect my cool.

“Look, I think I just caught you at a bad time. I just wanted to tell you that I’ll just see you later at your apartment, ok?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude or anything. I’m just really busy that’s why.” I explained to him.

“That’s okay. What time will you be home?” He asked sweetly.

Oh Gawd! He sounded so sweet that I felt like melting.

“Ummmm.. I don’t know yet. Like I said, I’m really swamped here. But I’ll be home even before the ball game starts.” I said.

“Oh okay. I’ll just see you later then.”

“Okay. Just  in case you get at my place before I do. Just make yourself at home.” I told Jiyong.

“I will. See you later.” He bade.

“See you later.” I said and ended the call. And in another minutes, I was burying myself again with the load that was heaped on top of my desk.

***

It was already seven in the evening.

I started to hurry up tidying up the kitchen. Looking at it, her once immaculate kitchen was now not so immaculate. For sure I was going to get some scolding from her as soon as she sees the mess that I’ve made. But then, I’m sure she’d understand.

I glanced at the wall clock again after attempting to put everything thing back into its proper place then I heard my mobile phone ring.

“Jiyong!”  I honestly think that my eardrum will soon have permanent damage with the way she speaks so loudly over the phone.

“Where are you?” I asked her as I strip myself from the kitchen apron that I have been wearing for the past two hours.

“I’m on my way home. Would you like me to grab something from the grocery? I mean there’s not much food to eat in my apartment. I’m really famished. What do you want to have for dinner?” Dara asked.

“There’s no need. I mean I already took care of everything.” I honestly said.

“Oh so you ordered some take outs already? That’s good. I can’t wait to come home. I’m really hungry.” She said.

“Don’t worry your food will be waiting for you here.” I assured her.

“I’ll be home in 10 minutes tops.”

“Okay.” I said as I leaned on the kitchen wall. Then we ended the call.

Funny.

Why?

Cause now I found myself sporting this silly grin on my face. So this is how it feels to be a wife. You know, doing the cooking, doing the laundry, waiting for the husband to come home from work.

Silly.

I’m not supposed to be the wife. I’m supposed to be the husband here.

Then I soon caught myself imagining things further.

I see Dara doing her wifely duties, cooking (although in reality she doesn’t know how to, but then I know she’ll try to learn how to cook though. For me that is) And that she’ll be waiting for me to get back from the office.
Again, I found myself with a silly grin on my face. Of course that thought would be close to being impossible. I had to remind myself again that Dara and I are just friends. We are better off as such. But then again, how would we know if we haven’t really tried involving ourselves in a different level of our relationship other than being friends?

“And what Jiyong? Make her one of your one-week women?” I angrily scolded myself. Surely, my best friend deserves more than a week with me.

Hell! She deserves a better man than I am.

***

“Hmmmm. That surely smells good.” I said as soon as I took my key off the keyhole of my apartment door. I soon felt my stomach do the rumble again. Then I began to wonder what my neighbor Mrs. Kim prepared for their family dinner cause it sure smelled yummy.

“Honey’ I began to call him not so loudly. “ I’m home!” I called to announce my arrival. I knew Jiyong was around my apartment somewhere. I took off my coat and hanged it inside the coat closet then took further steps inside my apartment.

Then there it goes again.

That smell.

The smell of home cooked dinner.

I began to sigh for the nth time today that coupled with my grumbling stomach.

“I must be hallucinating things now. I can still smell Mrs. Kim’s cooking.. I berated with myself frustratedly.

“Hey, freshen up first. Dinner will be ready in five minutes.” I heard Jiyong called back from the kitchen.

“Okay.” I answered back and headed towards my bedroom.

As I settled my things on top of my desk, I noticed that Jiyong had already fixed my bed and was surprised to see some extra pillows beside my own.

“Are you sleeping over tonight, Jiyong?” I asked.

It took him a while to answer my call and appeared by my bedroom door.

“What?” He asked. He surely looked yummy too. With that sweet smile and handsome face. He looked.

“Oh Gawd! What am I thinking?” I thought furiously.

“What were you asking me?” He asked as he crossed his arms about his chest.

“Oh that, I just asked if you were sleeping over tonight.” I answered turning my back on him.

“Yup. It’s a Wednesday night.” He answered.

“And I suppose those are your pillows.”

“Well you did tell me the last time that I slept over to bring my own pillows.” He said.

“Only because I don’t want your drools on my pillow.” I told him and laughed a little.

“Do I really? I mean, you know salivate in my sleep?” He asked.

“You want proof?” I answered his question. And then quickly went by my bed and got one of my pillows. I took off its covering and showed him a stained spot on it.

“Are you sure that was me? Cause I swear I see you doing the same thing on one of your pillows.” He defensively said.

“Whatever, Jiyong. Then I’d take it that you watch me while I’m asleep?” I tried to .

He couldn’t answer at first.

“Of course not! I don’t watch you. Your snoring keeps me awake the whole night.” He was again in his defense. But he sure sounded guilty.

“I beg your pardon. I do not snore.” I argued with him.

“Oh yes you do! You snore like this.” Then he took out his mobile phone.

And to my surprise I was hearing my own snores coming from his cellphone.

“See you do snore. And oh by the way I customized my ringtone whenever you call. That’s for you and you alone.” He teased even more. And in a jiff he was out of my sight running towards the kitchen again.

“Kwon Jiyong!!! I’m gonna get you for this!!! I swear!!!” I screamed and ran after him.

We ended up running after each other around the apartment and when we ended up inside the kitchen, I couldn’t help myself but be surprised at what I saw.

“You cooked?” I didn’t know what exactly to feel. But there is one sure feeling that I had.

I was famished.

“Hey, easy!” I heard Jiyong warn me as I sipped on the broth of the viand.

“Sorry, I’m just so hungry. I didn’t have the chance to grab some lunch today.” I informed him.

“And why is that?” He asked.

“Work! I had 6 accounts to finish for the day. My boss put me on a deadline.”

I just saw Jiyong scratch his head and looked down on his plate trying to finish his dinner.

“So what’s this exactly?” I muttered in between spoonfuls of rice and whatever it was we were having.

“This is called, Pork Sinigang. It’s a very famous Filipino dish that I learned.” Jiyong started to say and trailed as he ended his sentence.

“Yeah, yeah, from one of your ex. But this really tastes good. You asked her to teach you this? Filipino you said?” I asked not really surprised that he get to meet different women from different countries.

“Yes, she’s filipina. Actually I was on the phone talking to her while I was cooking. I wanted it to be perfect like the way she does it.” Jiyong said.

“I see. Too bad I don’t know how to cook.” I said feeling a little disappointed at myself not having culinary skills to impress him with.

“Don’t worry you’re still number one with me when it comes to snoring!!!” He began to tease again chuckling to himself.

“When are you going to put a lid on it? Or maybe, you’d rather sleep at home tonight. Alone. Mr. Kwon!!!” I said as I started to point my fork on him and gave him sharp dagger looks.

“Okay. Fine. I’ll stop. But I just can’t help teasing you.” He said still with a grin on his lips.

“You’re crazy you know that?” I said and threw him my table napkin, which landed on his face.

***

“Oh no! This can’t be happening!” Dara’s high pitch voice filtered the living room where we were watching the game.

“What the ?!?!” I heard my voice boomed as I see the finality of the game.

The team that Dara and I were rooting for lost.

There was an eerie moment of silence. I turned the TV off and settled back at the sofa beside Dara.

“Why?” She asked.

“What?” I asked back at her.

“You jinxed the whole game. Last week when you weren’t watching they were doing good. It’s totally your fault!” She said.

“Hey! Don’t get me into this. They’re the ones on the field not me. Why blame me?” I asked.

“How can I blame them? They don’t even know me? Right now, you’re the only one I can think of that I can blame.”

Sometimes, I really find her weird. But none the less, I’ve lived and bore with her weirdness for the past three years. And I can say that it’s one of the things that I like in her. She’s almost unpredictable at most times. The more that I find myself getting hooked and intrigued by her.

I shook my head and started to laugh at her.

In a matter of seconds, she was joining me with the laugh.

“So what do we do now? Are you sleepy yet?” I asked.

“Nah. I’m not. Are you?” She looked at me and smiled at me.

“Hey, wait here. I think I need a shower.” I said before I attempted to lift myself from the sofa.

“I have a better idea.” I heard Dara said and in one swift motion, she grabbed my hand and helped me to stand up then pushed me towards her bedroom. I knew I was heavy for her to drag so placed her arms around my waist and held me tightly, still pushing me to her bedroom.

Just so suddenly, I panicked. I wasn’t ready. I mean. Is she suggesting we do what I’m thinking?

Oh Gawd!

No! We can’t!

“What do you mean we can’t? You’ve been thinking about this long enough. It’s about time you do justice to your thoughts.” My mind was conversing with me.

“But. We can’t.”

“What do you mean we can’t?” I heard Dara asked as she closed the door behind her.

Obviously, I’ve voiced out my horror.

“You’re doing my facial tonight. And I’m going to do your nails after that.” She cheerfully said.

I took a moment to breathe and sigh in relief to what I heard her say. And when I looked back at her, I saw her with a questioning look.

“What? Don’t worry, it’ll be fun.” She tried to assure me.

I felt a little hesitant.

“And let me remind you that you’re still my slave. So that means you have to do as I say.” She said placing her hands akimbo.

“Yes but, Facials and hot oils? Isn’t that a girly thing? I mean what do I know about that?” I questioned her.

Like always, she’d easily see right through me.

“Hey, don’t panic. This’ll be a piece of cake.” She assured me again then she disappeared and appeared again coming from her bathroom with a medium sized plastic case. I soon learned that it contained most of her beautifying stuffs. Honestly, I was surprised that a girl like her even bothered to things like this. As far as I’m concerned, she need not any to beautify herself more.

Yes, that’s because she was beautiful enough for me.

Too beautiful that my poor heart has been suffering for the longest time I know.

***

“Not that boxers again, Jiyong!” I started to holler on him at the same time stifling my laughter when he had come out of the bathroom wearing his almost tattered boxer shorts after our beautification session for the night.

We’ve done the mudpacks, finished hot oiling both of our hairs and I’ve done his nails. And oh, He did a heavenly massage on my foot. Which I soon gathered that he had learned from one of his girlfriends again.

“What’s wrong with my boxers?” He scrunched up his forehead as he gave me a questioning look.

“What’s wrong with it? Look at it  Jiyong. It had certainly served its time.” I said this time not controlling myself from laughing.

“But this is my favorite. I mean it’s really comfy.” He explained as he twirled his finger under the hem of the shorts.

“Then it’s about time that you look and buy another one that would be your favorite. For sure money isn’t a problem. If you want I can buy you one in exchange for the shoes that you bought me.” I suggested.

“No thanks. I’m quite happy. No, let me correct that, I’m perfectly happy with these.” He said giving me a nod.

“Are you sure?” I had to ask.

“Like I said, I’m perfectly happy with these. Thank you.” He courteously said.

And so, I was forced to drop the topic and preceded to towel dry his shiny black hair.

After which, it was his turn to blow-dry my hair.

“I can’t believe you’re making me do this.” He uttered in dismay.

“Oh come on now, Jiyong. This won’t make you less of the man you are right now.” I started to assure him to lift his spirits a little.

“You’re just saying that to appease me. But I know you. Deep inside you’re laughing your heart out. And don’t you dare deny it. I can read it in your eyes.” He said as he tilted back my head and stare at me in the eye.

“Honestly, I’m not laughing at you. But I won’t deny that I’m having a great time doing this with you.” I honestly said.

That was true. I mean” All his flings may be talented, skilled in something. And I envy that. But one thing is for sure. I know they wouldn’t ever see Jiyong the way I see him. And that he would never be this way with any of his girl for the week.

I was smiling inwardly at the mere thought that Jiyong and I could forever be this way.

Well unless he finds his one and true love and if and when he decides to settle down. Then my smile started to falter.

“What’s wrong?” He surprised me with his question.

“Uhhh, Ummmm, Nothing. I was just thinking about. Work!” Good grief! I have to congratulate myself for coming up with a lame answer.

“You sure?” He asked not really buying my reason.

“Of course it’s work. Who, I mean what else could it be?” And yet another boo-boo!!! I was then forced to focus my eyes on something else to avoid Jiyong’s questioning eyes.

“Ok, if you say so.” He said finishing the last section of my hair.

“Okay, we’re done.” I announced and stood up from my dresser chair.

“So can we now hit the sack? To sleep I mean.” He said.

“Sure. I still need to get to work early tomorrow.” I answered briefly.

“Me too.” He said.

So Jiyong and I separated ways walking towards my enormous bed. He walked to the left side and I took the right side.

We have already been lying down on the bed for more than ten minutes now.

“Jiyong.”  I softly called his name hoping that he was still awake.

“Yes?”

“Thanks for the dinner. That was really sweet of you.” I sincerely told him.

“I’m glad you liked it.” I heard him say.

“Well good night then.” I said.

I was surely taken aback with his next action as I waited for a reply from him. He lifted himself up on the bed and turned to face me.

In a matter of seconds, his eyes were locked with mine.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter