A Holiday Surprise

Home Run
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.
Finally it’s Christmas Eve.

And just like our past Christmases, it’s been a tradition to have an early Christmas dinner together. Through the years we’ve been alternating who will hold the Christmas dinner and this year, it’s Minzy’s turn.

The girls opted to help out Minzy for the preparation while us guys just needs to show up on time.

“No !” I worriedly uttered under my breath.

Again, I’m late.

As I entered the Gong Mansion, I could clearly hear the gang sharing a conversation.

“Merry Christmas, everyone!” I greeted them as I entered the living room.

“You’re exactly 10 minutes late, Kwon Jiyong!” I heard Bom bawled at me.

“Sorry. I guess I took longer than I should have under the warm shower.” I tried to explain.

“Well you should have known better and prepared earlier.” Bom darted another one of her knowing remarks at me.

“Jagiya, stop lashing out on Jiyong. It’s Christmas, remember?” Seunghyun hyung came to my rescue.

“Here. Have one of these first. Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes.” Minzy said as she handed me a glass of brandy.

“Thanks.” I said.

“Where’s Dara and Chaerin?” I asked Minzy.

“They’re still upstairs. But they’ll be down here any minute now.” She replied.

“Oh, okay.”

After a couple more minutes.

“Jiyong! You’re here at last!” Dara said as she descended the grand staircase carrying with her a number of wrapped gifts.

I slowly stood up from my seat and walked up to meet her.

“Want me to help you with those?” I asked her.

“Sure. Thanks. What took you so long?” She asked me.

“Doesn’t really matter why I was late. Besides, it was just 10 minutes.” I answered her.

“Maybe he was with one of his flings before deciding to show up here.” Seungri commented.

“I was not.” I argued.

“Whatever. Well now that everybody is here, why don’t we start that dinner now? Shall we?” Minzy said.

“Nice idea. I’m hungry.” I heard Youngbae said.

Just then everybody started to proceed towards the dining room except for Dara and I. We were left behind because we still had to put the gifts that she brought under the Christmas Tree.

“So which of these is mine?” I asked as I began to read the label on each gifts.

“Later, okay?” Dara said as she tried to pry my hands off the gifts giving it more than a slight pat.

“Ouch! That hurts, you know. It’s not as if I’m going to open my gift already!” I told her and pouted at her.

“Just wait until later, okay?” She said and started to walk towards the dining room where the others were.

“Fine!” I said and followed her.

Just as she was about to pass by the threshold of the living room area, I swiftly moved to catch up with her and held her arm to stop her.

“What now?” I heard her ask.

“Ummm, it’s a Christmas tradition to kiss under the mistletoe.” I just told her and shot up my pointer finger on the mistletoe that was hung above us.

Without waiting for any reply from her, I grabbed her closer holding her slim waist with both of my hands.

Her hands rested on my chest.

Both our eyes locked together.

We stayed immobile for God knows how long.

Slowly, I traced her small and lovely face.

Soon, I was already closing in the gap between us for a kiss.

I was a mere inch away from claiming her lips when,

“Unnie! I’m gonna need your help here please.” I heard Minzy call on Dara.

“I, Uh, Ummm. Ok. I’ll be there.” Dara called back as she inched herself away from me a little.

I was still holding her by the waist and my gaze was still fixed on her.

“Ummm, Ji. You heard Minzy. I’m needed in the kitchen.” Dara softly said.

“Of course. You go ahead.” I finally said as I shook myself back to consciousness.

“Anyway. Merry Christmas.” She said and leaned closer giving me a peck on my left cheek before she headed towards the dining area.

I stood rooted to where Dara had left me as I watched her walk into the other room. My left hand touched the cheek where she had planted a kiss.

God only knows how much I had wished to kiss her on the lips.

“The night is young, Jiyong. Maybe later.” My consciousness dictated on me.

Yes.

Later.

And as Dara slowly disappeared from my vision, I suddenly got distracted with the way she looked and moved. She was dressed in an all white ensemble. A tube top that she matched with a tight (and I mean tight!) Capri pants. Her hips swayed provocatively as she glided away from me. Leaving me staring at her back, I noticed how her bun showed off its roundness.

“Gawd! Why does she have to wear thongs?” I asked myself and soon I was wiping away beads of sweat that was trickling down my forehead.

I quickly shook off these malicious thoughts that was beginning to creep inside my head.

“What’s gotten into you, Jiyong?” My mind asked me.

Maybe Dara is right all along. I guess I’m really a ert.

“Nah!” I loudly said, shaking off the thought inside my head. I soon then headed to the dining room to join the rest of the gang.

***

“Phew!!! That was close!!!” I sighed as I turned my back from Jiyong.

That was really close. Jiyong and I almost kissed. No matter how much I wanted him to kiss me, I just shouldn’t let him. I cannot blow my cover. I’m not ready yet.

I closed my eyes and started to remember the kiss that we had shared a couple of months back. I remember it clearly. So clear that if I thought harder, I could actually taste the kiss on my lips.

Maybe I should just quit in hiding the truth.

“Oh Gawd!” I sighed again.

I wish I’d be able to taste that kiss again.

“Oh Father Christmas? Santa? Do you hear me? Just another kiss. That’s all I’m asking for Christmas. Please?” I silently prayed.

I’d beg if I needed to.

I know I’ve been good all year.

“Please?”

Dinner was spent as joyous as the holiday season. As usual, Seungri and his silly antics was our lifeline. Oh, Seunghyun pitched in a little as he fell oblivious to some of our topics.

After an hour, the whole pack started to gather around the huge Christmas tree back at Minzy’s living room.

The boys were holding on to their glass of brandy while us girls excitedly started to give out our gifts to each other.

I got Bommie a pink cashmere sweater, which I know that she’s been eyeing for the longest time at the mall.

I got Minzy a nice leather pouch bag.

For Chaerin, I got her a purple pashmina that was made from some sort of a sheer material (which I don’t really know!).

For Seungri, Seunghyun, and Daesung, I got them some nice dress shirts and a book for Youngbae.

It’s always been said that you save the best for last.

Well it seemed that after a while, our friends started to go as couples. I watched Seunghyun come up to Bommie with his silly smile that somehow made my best girlfriend blush.

Then I saw Seungri hold Chaerin at her waist and then gave her a kiss on the nose before presenting to her his gift. And when I turned around, I saw Daesung and Minzy already engaged in a tight hug.

So that leaves Youngbae, Jiyong and I as the non-couple. Youngbae went out to take a call from his mom. So now, it was only me and Jiyong. I don’t know why but I suddenly couldn’t make myself face him. He was standing somewhere behind where I was rooted. I was acting as if I was enjoying every moment that I was watching those 3 couples in front of me.

Actually, I’m sort of starting to envy them.

“Yah!” I heard him call from behind me.

I was left with no choice but to turn on my heels and face him.

“So, it’s Christmas.” Jiyong started.

“I know. You can open your gift now.” I said as I picked a large gift box under the tree.

“Wow! That’s big!” He said this in all excitement just like a child.

“It’s not much really. I honestly had a hard time thinking of anything to give you.” I confessed.

Soon enough, Jiyong was already lifting the lid of the gift box that I gave him. And for someone who has already everything, I couldn’t help but be amazed at how his face lit up as he took out two fluffy pillows inside the box.

“Wow! It even has my name on it. Cool!” He said as he touched his name that was embroidered on the lower left corner of the pillows.

“You really like it?” I asked.

“Of course I do.” He said.

“Honest? You’re not just faking it are you?” I couldn’t help asking.

“Honest!” He swore.

“Good! Honestly, I bought that because I couldn’t stand your pillows anymore. They’re all soiled with your drool.” I said as I tried to make things less awkward between us.

“I beg to disagree on that Dee!” He protested.

Without saying anything more, both of us started to laugh.

“Aren’t you going to ask me about my gift that I got for you?” He asked once we were able to get a hold of our laughter.

“But you’ve already given me so much. And the beetle, it’s supposed to last for all the Christmases that I have left for the rest of my life.” I told him.

“Still, I got something for you.” He said as he took out a rectangular box from the pocket of his jacket.

“Merry Christmas.” He said and handed me the box. Just by the look of the box, I already knew that it was something quite expensive.

I looked into his eyes and had willed me to open his gift.

And so, I did.

And just as I’ve expected, it was something that probably cost more than a month of my salary.

It was a platinum ID bracelet. And as I looked closely, I saw both of our names encrusted on it.

JIYONG – DARA.

“You really shouldn’t have, Ji.” I said.

“But I did. And I wanted to.” He replied.

He must have sensed my hesitation because in a second or two, Jiyong lifted the finely crafted jewelry from its velvet case and took my left hand.

And in another second, he was already putting it on my left wrist.

“Now, doesn’t it look perfect on you?” He asked smiling after finishing with the task.

“Thank you, Jiyong.” I told him and gave him a hug.

“I even had our names carved on it.” He said.

“I know. I saw it.” I whispered.

“Please wear it always.” He requested.

I just nodded after I pulled myself from his embrace.

“You’re not trying to brand me as yours with this, are you?” I joked at him.

“Of course I’m not.” He said smiling.

“Just kidding.” I said.

“Ji, thanks. Really. Although you shouldn’t have bothered.” I continued.

“Come on now. You’re my dearest friend. How can I not give you something as important as that?” He said.

“You’re mine too. My dearest friend, I mean.” I said.

Although right that very moment I had wished to be someone more than a dear friend to him, I still tried to give him a sincere smile.

***

“Okay listen up everybody! May I have your attention please?” I heard Seungri call on us.

“I have something to say.” Seungri announced.

“As you all know, 4 days ago, I asked Chaerin to marry me. And she said yes!” He added.

“And what a way to propose man!!!” I hollered at him.

“Thanks for reminding me hyung.” Seungri raised his glass of bourbon at me.

“Anyway, to make up for that lousy proposal, Chaerin and I are having a new year’s party where we’d be announcing our engagement. So I’m expecting everyone in this room to be there to celebrate with us.” Seungri continued his announcement.

“Congratulations, Seungri!” Youngbae came over where Seungri was standing and gave him a brotherly hug. Seunghyun and Daesung followed suit . Then it was my turn to give him my wishes.

“Hey, who knows, your “masked lady” might just show up.” Seungri said loudly.

“That’s right, Jiyong ah!” Seunhyuni joined in.

“Maybe.” Youngbae replied weakly.

“As if she still has the intention of being known.” I uttered.

“Come on Jiyong hyung! Are you suddenly admitting that you’ve just been had? The worst part of it all, It was a girl who sent you a daze.” Seungri  clamored on.

“That’s something new!” Youngbae said.

“I just can’t believe that would ever happen to you!” Seunghyun retorted.

“Will you guys just shut up!” I hollered at them.

I really can’t believe that these men that I greatly considered as brothers has been at my throat ever since that “masked lady” appeared in my life.

As far as I’m concerned, I’ve learned to accept the fact that my “masked lady” won’t be showing her face to me anymore. I mean it has been months now since I’ve started the search and I haven’t landed on any clue as to whoever she is. I just have to give up and get on with my life.

There are still lots of fishes out in the sea.

And there’s still Dara.

I still have a year and a half to wait until my mother’s deadline anyway.

Besides, I am Kwon Jiyong. I can get any girl I want.

***

After the gift giving and Seungri’s announcement of his engagement party, everybody was kept busy with something. Well almost everybody, that is with the exception of myself. And so I opted to stay back and head to the veranda overlooking Gong’s vast garden.

I was carefully studying the piece of jewelry that carefully rounded my wrist when I heard footsteps from behind me.

“Noona, noona! What are you doing out here alone?” Surprisingly, it was Seungri. All the while I thought it was Jiyong.

“Nothing. Just thought of catching some breath of fresh air.” I answered him.

“I see. So, did hyung give you that bracelet?” He asked as he noticed that I was playing with the bracelet on my left wrist.

“Yeah. His Christmas gift.” I replied.

“It’s pretty.” He said with a smile on his lips.

“I know. I really wasn’t expecting that he’d be giving me something today since he just got me the beetle. And I, Well I just got him these set of pillows. Kinda lame for a Christmas gift right?” I told him.

“Well you know hyung.. He likes to shower his women with gifts. Expensive gifts as a matter of fact. You should know. You’re his best friend. And I’m sure he loved your gift.” Seungri expounded.

“I suppose so. But hey, I’m not his woman, okay? But I am his best girlfriend.” I said.

“Oh yeah, I seem to have forgotten that little detail. Sorry.” He said.

“That’s okay. No problem with me.” I smiled at him.

Seungri and I kept silent for a while as we both stared at the night sky.

“By the way, I just got the tape from the Coca Cola event.” Seungri said breaking the silence between us.

As I heard this, I sort of felt something stuck on my throat. I don’t know why but I suddenly feared that Seungri would soon reveal something.

“Oh yeah?” I had to say

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter