Field Day

High School 2013

Here's chapter 7!

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters, but the plotline is mine, so please respect that.

 


The day of the competition…

After finding out that all the other classes were going on a field trip for field day, Mr. Jang and Ms. Ahn had to pick up random strangers to be the judges. They recruited two elderly couple, 5 ajummas, and 3 ajusshis near the school. It was totally embarrassing and disappointing.

The two classes came face to face.

"Get ready to lose ajusshi," Ms. Ahn said. Mr. Jang’s eyes twitched at the word ‘ajusshi’.

"I should be saying that," he retorted, "I just hope when you lose you don’t have another meltdown like you did last year." Ms. Ahn’s veins popped at the mention of last year’s defeat. She had a mental breakdown in front of the whole student body, while her students sneaked away in embarrassment.

"That won’t be happening because we’re going to win!"

"You’re all bark, but no bite. It’ll be really embarrassing if you were to lose after acting so confident," Mr. Jang snidely remarked. Ms. Ahn looked like she was ready to pounce on the other teacher. Her class had to intervene.

"Woah there, let come with us. Remember 1, 2, 3, 4……." Yoseob and Sungmin dragged her away while trying to calm her down. Class 2-A laughed at them.

"Ignore them," Taecyeon said and shooed his class towards their side of the field. The group huddled.

"I want us to go out there and burn them to the ground. No Mercy. DESTROY THEM." Ms. Ahn said scarily. So much for a motivational speech. The class gave each other frighten glances.

"Hands in class. On the count of three, Kick !" Ms. Ahn said. The class put their hand in and shouted loudly so the other team could hear them.

First up was the battle of the classes’ multi-legged race. The class as a whole had to tie their together and using teamwork beat cross the 30 ft finish line. Everybody was lined up and ready when the banner gun was shot. Class 2-B had been practicing, so they were ready, while class 2-B was unsynchronized and tumbling all over the place. With their teamwork class 2-B made it to the finish line fairly quickly. They wasted no time rubbing it in the other class’s face.

"Who’s laughing now?" Eunhyuk stuck his tongue out. The other class glared.

The second activity competition was hurdling. The class 2-A won because Sooyoung tripped over one of the hurdles. Class 2-B bitterly put up with the mocks from the other class.

"You’re suppose to jump over it Soo, not run into it," Key teased. His classmates laughed.

"Why you!" Sooyoung was about to get physical, but her friends pulled her back.

"Let me at him," she struggle, "Let’s see how you look when your perfect hair is yanked from your head!"

"Calm down Soo. Breath in, breath out…." Sulli tried to calm her friend.

"Why are girls in Class 2-B so violent," Minho muttered.

The third competition was the class Tug-of-War. Class 2-B lost again. Badly. Class 2A has more strong guys. They’re athletic and fit, whereas class 2B has only a handful of fit guys. Class 2B did the walk of shame back to their side of the field to get ready for the next event which was the high jump.

"Don’t give up hope; we have a good chance of winning this next one." Yuri said trying to lift their spirits. "Sulli, Gikwang, Eunhyuk, and Hyoyeon, you guys are up next!" Yuri may not enjoy being class president, but she was extremely competitive. She wanted to win. The competition was a close one, but class 2B came out on top with a 3 point advantage.

Next was "capture the flag". The two classes had to guard their flags while the other team tries to steal it. The game went on for about 20 minutes with the majority of the classes out. Class 2B gathered together to form a game plan. Siwon was the guard for the flag, so they just need to distract him and steal the flag. Jessica observed him and suddenly came up with an idea. She told the remaining team, Yuri, Minho and Tiffany her plan. Minho and Yuri thought it could work, but Tiffany wasn’t pleased. Regardless she was talked into it.

Siwon was surprised to see Tiffany walking towards him. He smirked.

"Are you by any chance planning to take the flag from me?" he asked.

"Why, you don’t think I can?" Tiffany retorted. Siwon laughed.

"What makes you think you can get past me?" he asked. At the corner of her eye, Tiffany saw Yuri sneaking past them towards the flag.

"Simple," she smiled, "You could just give me the flag,"

"Why would I do that?" he retorted.

"Cause we’re somewhat friends," Siwon laughed he couldn’t help it. "Somewhat friends? You’re really bad at this negotiating thing. Tiffany saw that Yuri got the flag, and redirected her attention back to Siwon.

"I’m better than you think," she pointed to Yuri. Siwon’s smile was wiped off when he saw that Yuri had stolen the flag from right under his nose. Class 2B came running towards them shouting and cheering.

"You tricked me," Siwon said in disbelief, but his expression quickly changed, "Impressive,"

"Thank You," Tiffany bowed. Tiffany was pulled away for a short celebration before the relay began.

The relay race began with Sungmin. He was actually really fast. He passed it unto Junhyung who began running. Yuri was up against Krystal, which gave her all the more reasons to want to win. Junhyung handed her the stick and she bolted out. Krystal wasn’t far behind. Krystal caught up to her. The two took turns inching in front of each other, until Yuri felt an elbow to her gut, causing her to lose balance and fall. When she tried to stand up her foot was twisted. She couldn’t believe Krystal would stoop so low. Krystal made it to the finish line, much to Yuri’s dismay. She saw an outstretched hand in front of her. Minho was standing over her offering his hand to her.

"Don’t stare at it, just take it." He said. Yuri eyed him. Why was he being nice all of a sudden? She took his hand and he pulled her up. He turned and pulled her arms around his shoulder.

"Wait, what’re you doing?" Yuri asked.

"Piggy-back ride, get on," Minho said.

"NO!" Yuri refused trying to pull her arms away.

"Why are you so stubborn?" Minho grumbled.

"I'm offering it to you nicely."

"I don't want to, it's weird," Minho lost his patience and just forcefully got her on his back. Yuri tried to struggle, but gave up.

"I saw what happened," he said as he carried her back.

"What do mean?" Yuri tried to pretend that she didn't know what he was talking about.

"Are you going to tell Ms. Ahn?" Minho wasn't buying it. Yuri sighed and gave up.

"No," She said, "It's going to be my words against hers. It's not worth it."

"Omo, Yuri-ah, are you okay?" Tiffany asked running towards her friend. Yuri got off Minho's back.

"I'm fine, my ankle is just sprained." Yuri replied.

"What happened?" Jessica asked.

"Krystal," Yuri told her friends the truth.

"Did she hurt you?"Tiffany looked mad.

"Don't," Yuri shook her head, "And don't tell the others or things will get complicated." Her best friends tried to protest, but she made them promise. Minho helped her to the bench. The class wasn’t very pleased when Yuri told them that she tripped.

"There's still the treasure hunt," Yuri said. The two classes were currently tied. The treasure hunt took place in the school. Whichever team gathered the items on the list first would win. Class 2A came out victorious, because there was a little argument between Class 2B and a couple of students from class 2A. Class 2B was now feeling hopeless. The final event was the 3-on-3 basketball tournament. Class 2A had Siwon, Dongwoon, and Jonghyun---actual basketball team members. They were good.

"Guys don't give up yet," Sunny tried to lift their spirits, "Even if we don't win, at the very least we did better than last year." The class reluctantly agreed.

"It's true," Sohyun added, "This year we actually put up a fight,"

"Just go there and look cool," Taeyeon gave the 3 boys thumbs up.

"Woah guys, I'm kind of hurt by your lack of faith in us." Taecyeon said jokingly.

"Why, do you play?" Yoseob asked.

"Of course," he said, "and Chansung does too." The class was a bit doubtful since they've never seen any of the boys play.

"What about Minho?" Sungmin asked, "Do you play?" Minho shrugged. Yuri thought that if the event was soccer, Minho could've stood a chance.

Class 2B walked unenthusiastically towards the court.

"What are you doing Cheerleaders? Cheer!" Ms. Ahn ordered. The cheerleaders began to cheer but it was nothing compared to class 2A. The girls had pom-poms and 5x louder. The whistle blew and the game started. The game was set at 10 minutes. Whoever scored the most in the time period would win the game. The game began and class 2A had the ball. The whole class 2B closed their eyes, afraid to watch. When they heard the ball against the basket, and the complete silence form the other class they opened their eyes. Taecyeon had scored the first shot. Almost immediately Class 2-B began to cheer. Even Yuri joined in. 5 minutes into the game, the classes were tied at 3:3. So far Minho had not shot a single basket. Yuri didn't know why but her eyes were fixed on Minho. The change in his expression when he played was amazing. He seemed completely absorbed and focused. He confirmed Yuri's theory that not only was he good at soccer, but he was also good at basketball, when he scored 2 shots in a row. The game was close with 15 seconds left, and class 2A ahead by 1 point.

Chansung passed the ball to Minho who shot at the basket at the 3-pointer line. Everyone held their breaths as the ball flew closer and closer towards the basket. Cleanly and swiftly the ball flew into the basket. Instantaneously class 2B erupted into cheers. Even Yuri stood up and cheered- and then she remembered her ankle was hurting. The rest of the class ran into the court and celebrated with Taek, Chansung, and Minho.

"Guys, that was amazing!" Hyoyeon said impressed.

"We won the game!" Taemin said happily.

"Minho, where did you learn to shoot like that?" Gikwang asked.

"I know that was amazing!" Amber agreed. Before Minho could say anything, Siwon and Jonghyun came over to them, and shook the three players’ hand.

"Good game guys. I’ll be seeing you guys at tryouts," Siwon said, "Minho-yah nice to play with you again." Siwon added. "Did that mean they played together before?"

"In your face!" Ms. Ahn said to Mr. Jang.

"It was a tie, you didn’t win," Mr. Jang said bitterly.

"I didn’t lose either," Ms. Ahn enjoyed rubbing the fact in Mr. Jang’s face. His eyes twitched with irritation.

"Whatever," He said and walked away.

"That’s what I thought. Go cry to your mommy!" Ms. Ahn shouted and laughed.

Yuri smiled at the sight of her happy classmates. Minho came over and sat next to her.

"First soccer and now basketball, what else are you hiding from the class," Yuri joked, "Why aren’t you in any clubs?"

"I told you, I don’t want to," he replied.

"But you’re really good," Yuri admitted. Wow that was something she never thought she would say aloud, "You should pursue it,"

"Okay, give me one reason why," he said.

"So that’s what this is about, you don’t have a reason to play." Yuri said finally understanding and then with a smirk, she said, "Choi Minho, I’m going to find you a muse if it’s the last thing I do," Minho was taken back, but laughed it off.

"Good luck with that," he said.


Enjoy and thank you for being so patient. Please feel free to comment about what you would like to see happening in the story. It'll help me with the writing process. Thanks a bunch and review and subscribe!