Taking One for the Team

High School 2013

To make up for lost times, here's another chapter! Enjoy!!! 

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, and this is all purely fiction. I do own the plot so please be respectful of it.


Seoul 2010: Sophomore year…
Summer vacation officially ended, and it was time to start on a new year. 

The bell rang as Yuri and   Tiffany sat down on their seats.  It was just another regular day in class 2-B.  
"Morning!" Eunhyuk shouted at the top of his lungs.  He's the loud, obnoxious, yet funny class clown.  “Let’s PARTY!!"  He said and began dancing like a maniac.  Yuri and Tiffany glanced at each and bursted into laughter.  Some of his friends; Donghae, the second biggest goofball in class; Sungmin, the aegyo boy, Taemin; the shy but dancing genius, joined.  The class laughed.  The girls laughed while shouting how immature the guys were.  
"Yah!"  A loud voice boomed. It was Hyoyeon. "What do you think you are doing?"
For a while they were quiet.  "----without me" She continued with a laugh and started dancing around like she was being electrocuted.  The boys laughed along and resumed their crazy dancing. The rest of the class cheered including Tiffany and   Yuri. Yuri had warmed up to them.  Sure they were loud, obnoxious, a bit annoying, and unorganized, but they were the best class she could ask for. They didn't care about what others thought.  They were themselves and they were like a big goofy   family.  There was a mini party in homeroom that morning, the majority of the class joined in and danced like it was the time of their lives. During all the ruckus, some students slipped in unnoticed. One of them being the lazy class vice president Choi Minho and the other Jessica, an emotionless brick.  She doesn't talk to anyone and no one dares to approach her because of her icy aura. 
"After 30 minutes of dancing around, someone finally realized something. 
"Where's our teacher?"  Chansung, Taek's  friend, asked.  Everyone looked around the classroom wondering the same thing. Ms. Ahn, their homeroom teacher who also resembled the living dead, was nowhere to be found.
"How does she manage to keep her job?!"  Onew mumbled.   Taeyeon   nodded in agreement.
"She really is a y teacher."  Yoseab- who competes with Sungmin for Aegyo King- said. The students gathered around in a messed up circle and were in a heated discussion about how bad  of  a teacher Ms. Ahn was.
"She's lazy,"
"Scary"
"Bipolar"
"They way she looks would make even Frankenstein's bride jealous."
"I know isn't she a crazy?!"  A high-pitched voice pitched in.
"She is ---- wait a minute that sounded like…………"   Eunhyuk didn't get to finish as  he slowly turned around to come face to face with the towering she-devil.
Class 2-B froze with fear.  Even Minho sat up straight and Jessica's eyes widened.
"Are you having fun insulting your teacher?" She asked her voice dripping with poison honey.  
"Umm….," Gikwang gulped, "We were talking about another Ms.  Ahn?" He  said unsure.  The class groaned at his lie.  But they decided to build on that.
"We think you're…. uh…"   Sungmin faltered.
"Pretty!"  Tiffany offered.
"Cool!"  Junhyung added.
"Fun." Hyoyeon clapped.
"Stylish." Sulli and Amber said in unison with  two thumbs up.
"Smart" Onew said quickly.
"You're not the least bit like a   zombie bride." Taemin nodded feeling proud of himself. 
"Aw Taeminnie really?!"  Sunny groaned. Taecyeon leaned over and gave Taemin a playful slap on the head.  Taemin pouted adorably.
"Way to go Taemin!"  Yonghwa sighed.  
"Uh-huh" Ms.  Ahn  did not  believe a  single word her  students  were  saying,  "but because you so shamelessly  insulted me, write :  we were stupid,  Ms.  Ahn is the best, 500x and no lunch until you finish!"  She said.    The class groaned and started blaming each other.
"QUIET!"  She screamed.  "Yuri class greetings" Yuri led the class greeting.  She sat down and began to write the apologies.   As the class was writing, the door opened and Mr.  Jang walked in.  If you thought Ms. Ahn couldn't get crankier, you're wrong. Her face grew 10x scarier at the sight of the Class 2-A Teacher.  
"What are you doing here?''  She said venomously.
"What's wrong Jiyoung, can't control your class?" He asked smugly.  By this time all eyes were on them.
"Don't be informal with me adjusshi!"  He sure knows how to tick Ms. Ahn off.
"For your information, I'm only 28." He said as a matter of factly.
"Whatever, shouldn't you go back  to you snooty  students."
"Snooty?" he laughed.  "Very mature."
"Get out, I have a class to teach" she  pointed to  the   door.
"Are you sure you're teaching them well?'  he asked, "   Last  time  I checked, this   classroom has the  most chaotic grades, and my snooty students  earned  the best exam grades."
That about did  it.  Their  homeroom  teacher got physical and  shoved Mr.  Jang  out of the  room.
"By  the  way,  you  look  great."   He said as  he  was  forcefully   shoved  out of  the  room.
He laughed and  walked  back to his  classroom.   Ms.  Ahn  went   to her  pointing stick   and  broke it in have with  scary  strength.  She glared at  her class.    The  quickly  continued  the   writing.  There were  a lot  of  things  that  pissed  miss Ahn  off,  but none  comes  close  to mister Jang.   
With aching hands, Yuri and Tiffany went to  lunch and sat with some classmates from  Class 2-b.
They were talking about what had happened over their summer vacation.
"It was boring really, the guy that I like moved away so I had nothing to do." Sooyoung said sadly.
"What do you do, stalk people for  fun?"  Yuri asked and  some  of the girls laughed.
"I,  on the other hand,  had a great time." Sunny said  happily, "I went to visit my dad in Gangnam with Sungmin."  It was an obvious fact that Sunny and Sungmin were bestfriends and did everything together."  Everyone thought they were perfect for  each  other but those two are so oblivious.
"Oh really?!"  Tiffany asked teasingly.
"OH here comes the snots," Hyoyeon rolled her eyes at a group of  popular  kids from class 2-a  walked into  the lunchroom. The  girls were Krystal, Jiyeon, Eunjung, Jiyoung,  Gyuri,  and The queen bee Im  Yoona.   Many girls want to be  her  and   many  guys  want   to  be with  her.  She's also  a in  line  to  be head cheerleader.  She appears cold and distant from the group of girls and  she's  mysterious. Park  Gyuri is the beautiful  diva  and  she knows   it.  She  is also a  major  witch.  Jiyoung is cute but  mean.  EunJung  is acts nice and friendly but is a fake who  is  totally  in love  with Taecyeon.  Krystal and  Jiyeon  are  double trouble.   Yuri  and  Tiffany hate them the most. The rest  of  the girls were  "cute  and lively"  Hara; smart  and  studious  SeoHyun; shy Victoria; adorable Hyuna, friendly Seunghyun. The boys were mischievous Kyuhyun,  outgoing  Doojoon, Diva Kibum "Key", Short  but  hot Jonghyun, nerdy but cute Myungsoo, handsome Lee Joon, quiet Kai; adorable Baekhyun, 4-D Hyunseung; and JungShin High School Prince Choi Siwon. With his  jaw-dropping  good  looks tall  height,  he is "to die  for". Siwon did a surprising thing  and walked  to  toward the table Tiffany and  Yuri were  sitting.
" Hey Soo." He  said.  Everyone turned to look at Sooyoung, who pretended like she didn't know what was going on.
"Hey guys." He said to the rest of them.  This is weird.  Why would he take the time to come and talk to them all of a sudden.  
"Not to be rude or  anything but why are you talking to us?" Eunhyuk piped up.  Hyoyeon elbowed him in the gut.  (Another weird friendship.) She looked back to Siwon and smiled with aegyo.  Hyoyeon with aegyo?! What in  the  world, Yuri thought.  Eunhyuk pretended to barf. Siwon laughed.
"I'm actually here to talk to Minho," he  replied.  Now everyone turned to Minho, who looked clueless.
“I wanted to personally ask you to try-out for basketball." Siwon said.
"You play?" Taemin asked.  Everyone thought Minho was a lazy bum.
"No," he quickly said, "and I don't want to try-out." Siwon nodded.
"That’s a shame; you would've made a great addition to our team."  He said, “I hope the rest of you guys could make it." he waved and left.
“What was that all about?" Yoseob asked.
"I know," Donghae laughed, "I've seen you shoot and it's not that impressive,"
"And didn’t you sneak away to sleep during PE?" Sulli added.  Everyone agreed and decided to move on to a different subject. 
"Sooyoung don't think  we were going let  you go just like that?" Tiffany said.
"How do you and Siwon know each other?" Taeyeon asked.
"Do you guys like each other?" Sunyoung asked.
"Eww… gross" She made a face.  "  Siwon's my cousin."
"And when were you going to tell me that?" Sunny demanded.
"It wasn't important." Sooyoung shrugged.
"How could you hide  the fact that you're related to the hottest guy in school, from your me?" Hyoyeon asked.  Hyoyeon has this puppy crush on him,  where she would get all girly and giggly around him or at the mere mention of his name."
"Because of that," she replied gesturing to Hyoyeon reaction. 
"Now drop it." she said firmly "or  I'm going to go sit with Jessica."
"Speaking of Jessica, what's up with her." Gikwang asked.
"I tried to ask her to sit with us but she just ignored me." Taeyeon said.
"She cold like ….  like an ice princess." Eunhyuk said.  They looked toward Jessica who sat alone at the table.
During Lunch…..
Yuri went to the bathroom to pee.  Just as she was about to leave, she heard a bunch of footsteps and loud noises.
"I'm so annoyed at that b*****!" One girl, who she did not recognize screeched.
"I'm going to get revenge." 
"How?" her friend ask.
"I will humiliate her so bad that she wouldn't dare to step  foot into this school again." Girl number one said.  They discussed their plans and Yuri heard everything.  "Idiots" she thought. She was about to confront them, but instead decided against it.  She waited until they left.  She had to warn Jessica.  She saw her going up to the balcony. She followed.
“Jessica, I need to talk to you!"  Jessica looked surprised.
“A bunch of girls are trying to sabotage you."  Her eyes widened.  But instead of thanking Yuri, she simply said "So, is that any of your business?"
"What?" a bunch of nasty thing were said inside of Yuri's head.
“Fine, it's not my business, but I was just trying to help."  Yuri said angry. “You know you are like what those girls are saying about you. You push people who are tried to befriend you away and you hurt their feelings.  Good luck getting the paint off yourself. “Yuri walked away.
The next day during lunch …..
Yuri glanced at Jessica who sat alone.  She was reading a letter.  She stood up after she finished reading and left.  Yuri turned to talk to Tiffany but she wasn’t sitting next to her anymore.  Tiffany followed Jessica.  Yuri told Fany everything and despite it all, Fany wanted to help Jessica anyway.  She had no choice but to follow Tiffany and Jessica.
"Hey wait up!" Tiffany shouted as she caught up with Jessica.  Jessica was slightly shocked, but recovered fast.  
"Why are you following me?" She asked coldly.
“Yuri told me some girls are trying to ambush you," Tiffany said,” Where are you going?"
“That’s really none of your business." Jessica said keeping her façade intact.  
“So what does the letter say?" Tiffany kept asking as if Jessica hadn't spoken at all.
“Leave me alone," Jessica mumbled.
“Is it a letter from those girls?" Tiffany asked, “If you know they were going to sabotage then why are you going up there?"
“Leave me alone! This is my problem, not yours!"  Tiffany looked taken back, but she quickly recovered.
“Aren’t you lonely?" Tiffany asked going on to a completely new topic.
“W-wha?" Jessica was caught off guard.
“Well you don't have any friends and you're always cold to everyone."  Tiffany said.
“Don’t you want friends?" She asked.
“No," Jessica actually answered, “friends are useless and dumb. They'll only end up hurting you in the end."
"Not everyone is like that." Tiffany and Jessica turned around to see Yuri standing behind them.
“Yuri-ah!" Tiffany smiled brightly.
“I know how you feel," Yuri said,” I went through the same thing and for a while I thought that way too." 
“If I didn't allow myself to trust Tiffany and befriend her, I would probably be like you: bitter, miserable, and lonely." Yuri continued.
“What Yul is trying to say is, we'll be your friends if you want." Tiffany said, “and you won't ever have to be alone again."  After a long silence, Jessica spoke up. 
“Why are you guys so annoying," Jessica said, " This isn't some touching friendship drama."
 Despite what she said, she said it in a light manner.  She started walking to the rooftop of the school.  
“Where are you going?" Tiffany asked.
“Apparently there is a "cute boy" who wants to talk to me." She scoffed as she opened. Jessica stepped onto the rooftop and braced herself for the upcoming paintball.  She closed her eyes and when she felt nothing, she opened her eyes to see Yuri and Tiffany in front of her paint splattering all over them.  The girls behind it were shocked.  They stopped.
"NO! Get Jessica!" The leader shouted.  After recovering from shock, Jessica stood up and stepped out from behind the two girls.
“I told you guys not to get involved!" Jessica said, “I caused the problem, I should be responsible."
“That’s what friends are; they stay by your side no matter what." Tiffany said.  Jessica stepped in front of her two friends- that felt weird- and spread her arms out in a shield-like matter.
“I’m sorry if I offended you!" Jessica said, “If this makes you feel better, do your worst, but don't involve my friends."
“You have friends?" One girl scoffed.
“Yes, she does" Yuri answered for Jessica as she and Tiffany stepped out from behind Jessica and stood on opposite sides of her.  Jessica looked at her new friends outstretched hands and without a second thought, she took their arms and stood firmly.  They smiled at each other and the whole time the paintballs were hurled at them, they laughed.
After a while the girls either ran out of paintballs or got tired of throwing them and ran away leaving the new friends drenched in multicolored paint.  The girls then sat on the roof as they waited for the paint to dry and just talked, mostly about Jessica.
"Is your name really Jessica?" Tiffany asked, “Does that mean you're from America?"
“Yeah, my parents divorced when I was really little. My mom took be back here to raise me." Jessica said.
"I see, so your dad lives in the US?" Without thinking Tiffany blurted out the question in English.
“Yah, Pani- ah stop speaking in English, I feel dumb and left out," Yuri shouted
“It was an accident, Yulli-ah, Mianhe” Tiffany begged.  Jessica looked at the two and smiled. Can she really become like that with them?
"Yeah, Daddy still lives in the US, he's getting remarried to this witch," Jessica said bitterly.
“I take it that you don't like her," Yuri raised a brow.
“She’s the reason I-" Jessica began, but caught herself.  
“What?" Tiffany asked.  "Do you want to talk about it?"  Did she want to talk about it?
“Its okay if you don't want to," Yuri said quickly.  Jessica decided that she didn't need to hide anything from her new friends, who seemed sincere.
“My mom and my soon-to-be stepmom, Chaerin, used to be best friends, until Chaerin betrayed my mom and chased after my dad."Jessica said reminiscing about the past, “My dad chose her over Mom, and although she pretended to be strong, I hear her secretly crying at night."
“Is that why you're afraid of having friends?" Tiffany asked softly.
“Maybe, I thought if I'm alone, no one could hurt me." She confessed.
“Let’s make a promise, all three of us!" Tiffany suggested. “I’ll start.  I promise to be with you guys through thick and thin…..  Yuri-ah your turn!" Tiffany said.
“Um, to never ditch you for other people,” Yuri said. “Jessica?"
"To never betray you guys and to put you all first." Jessica said quietly.
"Pinky promise?" Tiffany stuck out her pinky. 
“Pinky promise," Yuri and Jessica linked pinkies.
“Slap promise?" Tiffany said holding up her free hand.
“Why not," Yuri shrugged and held up her hand.
“Wait- What?" Jessica asked. 
“Three way slap!" Yuri shouted. 
The girls grew calm again with painted hand prints on their faces.
“By the way, why do those girls hate you so much?"  Tiffany asked.
"You didn't hear, I rejected Kim Jonghyun." Jessica laughed.
“You did what?" Tiffany laughed.
“He actually hit on you?" Yuri asked not bothering to hide her amusement.
“He tried to talk to me actually, and I ignored him and walked away.  Those girls were his fan girls." Jessica explained.
“He’s so short," Tiffany laughed,” But he's really cute." 
“You know who's cute?" Yuri said, “Choi Siwon." '
“He’s the school prince for a reason ya know." Tiffany giggled. “I wish we weren't stuck with a bunch of idiots they call boys."
“Seriously, Eunhyuk is such a little boy; he can't seem to grow up!" Jessica joked.  They went on to list a bunch of guys from their class.
“And don't get me started on Choi Minho; he's such a lazy bastardhh."  Yuri groaned.  “For class president duty, he didn't even help me out!"  Jessica and Tiffany shared a look and burst out laughing.  At first Yuri was mad, but she saw Jessica smile and laugh and decided laugh along.
It seems Tiffany and Yuri managed to crack the ice that was Jessica.  Jessica didn't feel comfortable talking to everyone yet, but people can sense the change she was going through. The cold isolated girl transformed, into a sarcastic, but likeable girl who can change back into her cold façade with the blink of an eye if annoyed. 
 The friendship that the trio formed was strong and unbreakable. 
Seoul 2023…..
“How’s Jessi doing?” Tiffany asked.
“Same old same old, you should call her before she freaks.” Yuri said
“Your right, bye Yul,” Tiffany said and hung up.  Yuri continued to look through the yearbook.