Shinkyu: The One (SJ-M)

Kyuhyun's Drabble Diary

Looking at his own reflection in the mirror, Kyuhyun sighed as he examined his bare torso. The scars that were made all those years ago still lingered, staying almost permanently on his skin. A horrible reminder of the ordeal he went through. Wincing at the sight, Kyuhyun immediately slid his shirt back down, not wanting to look at his mangled upper body again. Just then Shindong walked in, as he could still see Kyuhyun staring at the mirror with a hint of pain.

“Ne, Kyuhyun.” Startled by the presence Shindong, Kyuhyun jumped, backing away from his reflection.

“Y-yes?” Kyuhyun said as he clutched his shirt tightly.

“What are you doing staring at yourself like that? Have you become as vain as Heechul hyung?” Shindong replied, smirking. A loud thud was soon heard, creating a smacking sound against the door. It seemed like a pillow had been thrown.

“YAH! I can hear that Shindong!” Screamed Heechul from the living room, his fingers curled up into make-shift claws, ready to attack Shindong once he left Kyuhyun’s bedroom.

“Ignoring Heechul hyung, can you tell me why you’re staying at the mirror so intently?” Kyuhyun bit his lip as he avoided eye contact from him.

“It-it is n-not important.” Kyuhyun replied as he made up an excuse to leave. “Oh! I-I just remember that I have go and help Ryeowook cook.” Attempting to flee the scene, Kyuhyun’s wrist was immediately met with the powerful hold of Shindong’s hand.

“No you don’t maknae. Ryeowook doesn’t need help cooking right now, it’s only three o’clock.” Pulling him back, Shindong gazed at Kyuhyun with worry and concern. Kyuhyun, however, tensed up as he tried to pull out of Shindong’s vice-like grip.

“Please… let me go.” Kyuhyun said pleading.

“I can’t Kyuhyun, you’re making me worry.” After a few minutes of trying to resist, Kyuhyun finally stopped struggling under Shindong’s grasp. Barely heard was Kyuhyun’s response.

“My scars…” Holding his free hand onto his chest, he slowly and painfully traced the contours of the scars that were hidden underneath his shirt. With deepened eyes, Shindong nodded as he pulled the maknae into a back hug.

“What’s wrong with a few scars Kyuhyun?” However, Kyuhyun looked away his face showed disgust.

“It’s because they always there hyung.” Kyuhyun croaked. A tear fell towards the floor. “Just looking at myself… I get repulsed by it. They always remind me that I’m not beautiful...I’m not handsome, I’m not the person people make me as.” Quickly, Shindong tightened his hug around Kyuhyun, comforting the younger one.

“Don’t say that Kyuhyun. You ARE beautiful. You ARE that person who can make people swoon by just singing. You ARE the one with snarkiness that can’t be trifled and with a personality that can’t be duplicated.” Shindong smiled brightly at Kyuhyun. “You’re you. The one and only Kyuhyun. So what if you have scars? Everyone does. And I’m absolutely certain that our fans as well as the members don’t care, because you’re still alive and still singing on stage. There is no one on this earth that can replace you so don’t forget it.” Comforted by those words, Kyuhyun soon collapsed into Shindong’s secure arms. Tears of acceptance streamed down his face.

Maybe it was okay to have the scars, to be tainted with the harsh past… because there is only one you in the world with only one life. And you have only one chance to live it to the fullest.