9

Sleepless Nights

It has been exactly a week. The two groups were so busy with practice and their comeback. Nana did not have the chance to discuss a plan with the three SNSD members but she had a few ideas in mind.

Things were getting a little bit more difficult between Yuri and her members. She would attend practice and schedules but she rarely talked to her members. The only time she will talk will be when she has to greet them, excuse herself to the washroom or to tell them that she’s leaving. Yuri would also leave straight after practice and schedules, not giving the chance for her members to catch up with her.

Today was like any other day. Yuri had just finished practice and it was almost 8 pm. She was thankful that it ended earlier than usual because honestly, she couldn’t stand being in the same room as Yoona. She grabbed her bag and made her way to the door, anxious to return to her room in the After School dorm.

 

*

 

“Hello?”

“Hey. Practice ended earlier than usual today. Are you free?” Yoona asked the person on the other line.

“Uh yeah, I’m having dinner though.”

“Oh. Well then it’s ok.”

“No no. We need to meet up to come up with a plan for you and Yuri unni. Are you heading back to your dorm? I’ll just drop by your dorm so it will be easier. Yuri unni is probably on her way back to my dorm now.”

“Ok. Give me a text when you’re nearby our dorm.”

“Got it. I’ll probably reach there around 9 pm.”

 

*

 

Nana had just texted Yoona saying she will be reaching in 10 minutes. Thankfully the dorm was going to be empty tonight. Yoona was on her way home after dinner with her members. The TaengSic couple didn’t join them for dinner since they insisted on having their own dinner date but assured Yoona that they will join Nana and her in the meeting later. The remaining members decided to go for noraebang since they didn’t have any schedules the next day.

Yoona and Nana arrived at SNSD’s dorm at the same time and they politely greeted each other, a huge contrast from when they first met. Yoona opened the door for the two of them and was surprised to see that the dorm was still dark. She had thought that the TaengSic unnis would be back before her.

“You can place the stuff you bought on the counter in the kitchen. Make yourself at home. You can grab anything you want from the fridge just not the ones that is labeled with ‘Sooyoung’s’ on it. I’m gonna go change.” Yoona then made her way to her room.

Nana opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water (basically, that was the only drink that did not have the ‘Sooyoung’s’ label on it). She then made her way to the living room to watch some TV. Much to her delight, her favourite cartoon, Spongebob Squarepants, was on.

Then Nana heard a moan. It wasn’t a loud one but it was a moan alright. Thinking her ears were playing tricks on her, she ignored it. Yoona then came out from her room, fresh from the shower and was wearing a mismatched Mickey Mouse shirt and Rilakkuma pants as PJs.

“I wonder where is Taeyeon and Jessica unni. They said they’d be here.” Yoona then dialed Jessica’s number knowing how the ice princess always has her phone with her wherever she goes.

They heard Jessica’s ringtone and were surprised to see Jessica’s phone under the coffee table in the living room.

Yoona picked up the phone, “Oh? Sica unni is here? Where are they then?”

Nana stared at Yoona as though the other had suddenly grown three heads.

“This is your dorm. Shouldn’t you know?” Nana asked.

“Right. Maybe they’re in their room. Let’s go check.”

The two went ahead and knocked on the door of TaengSic’s room. There was no response and they were contemplating if they should open the door since the two might be asleep. They didn’t want to unleash HellSica. They knocked again and then slowly turned the doorknob. The door creaked open and the two were not prepared to witness what they were witnessing.

“OMG TAE RIGHT THERE! RIGHT THERE!”

It took Nana a little while to register the sight before her. Taeyeon and Jessica were on the bed. Jessica was lying down whereas Taeyeon was hovering above her. The blanket was only covering the bottom half of the pair.

Yoona screamed whereas Nana could only shake her head. The couple that was previously oblivious to the surrounding finally noticed the two intruders. Jessica pushed Taeyeon off and grabbed the blanket to cover herself. Poor Taeyeon landed on her on the floor.

“Uh, we’ll just wait outside. Please get dressed.” Nana bowed to the couple before holding onto Yoona who looked like she will collapse any time and closing the door.

 

*

 

Taeyeon and Jessica were finally out of their room. Yoona has now calmed down after the traumatizing scene. Nana seemed like it was an everyday thing to see two females .

“Uh, sorry about that.” Taeyeon spoke up, rubbing her nape.

“It’s ok. I’m pretty used to it.” Nana said as though brushing the topic off.

“WHAT???” The other three in the living room were shocked.

“What? You didn’t read the articles? My members and I walk around in the dorm all the time. We even sleep .”

The other three had their jaw dropped.

“OHMYGOD DOES THIS MEAN YURI UNNI HAS SEEN YOU AND YOUR MEMBERS BEFORE???” Yoona was about to pounce onto Nana and strangle the younger girl but was stopped by Taeyeon.

“No. We are well behaved when we have visitors. Jung Ah unni will kill us if she sees us walking around with visitors.”

Yoona heaved a sigh of relief whereas Taeyeon groaned.

“Damn. All those y bodies I have missed out. Yuri is a lucky one.” Hearing this confession from her girlfriend, Jessica did not hesitate to smack her girlfriend at the back of her head.

“OUCH! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?” Taeyeon yelled while rubbing the back of her head.

“For being a byuntae. Sleep on the couch tonight!”

Taeyeon pouted and gave those puppy eyes to Jessica. She even picked Ginger up and placed it next to her face.

 “Sica baby~ Please~ I’m sorry~” Yoona and Nana had almost vomited their dinner but Jessica was the complete opposite.

“Aigo!! My Taengoo so cute!!” Jessica then pinched Taeyeon’s cheeks.

Yoona cleared , “Excuse me, we’re here to help me get my princess back.”

“So I have a few ideas in mind.” Nana started. Seeing as no one was stopping her from talking, she continued, “I call it, Win Kwon Yuri’s Heart In A Day plan.”

“That’s a mouthful but sounds legit.” Taeyeon voiced out her opinion before getting a pillow thrown into her face by Yoona.

“Carry on.” Jessica encouraged the girl to continue.  

So Nana continued with her plan and without much hesitation, the other three Soshi members agreed and admitted that it was a brilliant plan.

 

*

 

The following day, SNSD was given a day off. While everyone else was busy sleeping in and resting, a certain doe-eyed girl was already awake at an unearthly hour, 5 am. She had to be up and ready to start the day since she will be executing the plan today.

After washing up and having a light breakfast (well, 3 bowls of cereals is considered light, right?) Yoona left her dorm and drove to After School’s dorm.

When she arrived, it was already 6 am. Yoona was carrying quite a number of grocery bags since Nana had mentioned that her dorm was running low on food supplies. Instead of knocking or pressing the doorbell, Yoona called Nana using her phone.

“Hello?” A groggy voice greeted Yoona.

“Hey, I’m outside. Open the door for me.” Yoona whispered.

“Who is this?” The groggy voice asked Yoona.

“It’s me! Yoona unni!” Yoona raised her voice a little, annoyed with who she thought was Nana.

“Oh. Jin is in the toilet washing up. I’ll let you in.” And the person hung up.

Yoona stared at the phone. So that wasn’t Nana? Yoona thought to herself.

Lizzy opened the door for the SNSD member. Yoona entered the dorm quietly, trying to make as minimal noise as possible.

“I’m sorry I woke you up.” Yoona gave a slight bow to the younger girl.

“It’s ok. I have to get ready anyway. I’m just waiting for Jin to get out of the bathroom.”

Yoona nodded before gesturing the grocery bags towards the kitchen area. Lizzy nodded her head and made her way to her shared room. Yoona was busy unpacking the things she had brought along with her. Most of it is ingredients for Yuri’s favourite dishes. Part of the plan was to cook all three meals for Yuri.

Yoona was so busy imagining about her day with Yuri today that she did not notice the presence of another person in the kitchen.

“You should stop grinning like that while staring into empty space. It’s creepy.” The voice brought Yoona back to reality. She realized that Nana was now in the kitchen with her.

“Can’t help it.” Yoona shrugged and gave a small smile to Nana.

“You better not screw up. I had a hard time convincing the two maknaes that they should spend the day outside.”

“Thanks Nana. Really. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me just yet princess. Win her heart again and then thank me.”

 

*

 

Yuri woke up to an empty bed. It was 7:30 am and she assumed the Orange Caramel members were already out for practice but the dorm felt eerily quiet. She went out of her room and almost had a heart attack when she saw Yoona wearing a cute Rilakkuma apron in the kitchen, her face had some flour and she seemed to be mixing some stuff in a mixing bowl.

“Yoona?” Yuri’s hoarse voice broke the silence.

“Oh unni. You’re awake! I’ll make your ma juice now. You can freshen up first.”

“What are you doing here?” Yuri asked out of curiosity. She was sure she went to After School’s dorm and not her own dorm.

“Let’s spend the whole of today together, unni.” Yoona had this huge grin on her face and Yuri can’t help but to stare at her in wonder. Is this really the Yoona who rejected her?

Without saying anything, she exited the kitchen and headed to the bathroom to freshen up before going for her routine morning jog.

 

*

 

Before leaving, Yoona had offered Yuri a glass of fresh ma juice. The tanned girl gulped it down and then excused herself for her run. Nothing was unusual about her morning run. There was the usual group of ahjumma doing some morning exercise in the middle of the park. That cute lady that always walks her dog. And Yuri loves the sound of kids’ laughter as they played at the playground.

Yuri was done with her morning run and was about to walk home when the vendor at the balloon cart called out to her. Curious, Yuri made her way to the man.

“You called me?”

“Are you Kwon Yuri?”

Yuri stared at the man in front of her. He was probably in his late forties. Must be an uncle fan then. No harm.

“Yes.” Yuri replied shortly.

“Ahh~ you’re prettier in real life.” The man commented causing Yuri to blush (even though her face was already red from all the running).

“Someone told me to pass you these.” The man then gave Yuri a bouquet of red roses and a Mickey Mouse balloon.

Yuri stared at the bouquet and balloon. She had a puzzled look on her face but thanked the vendor before walking to a bench nearby. After settling down, she checked the bouquet for any cards or notes. She saw a cute pink heart shaped card hidden in between the roses.

 

Hi unni. Did you know that red roses mean passionate love? Actually, I didn’t know what it meant until I searched it up. Hehehe. Let Mickey Mouse accompany you when you walk home, okay?

 

- Yoong

 

With a smile, Yuri placed the card back in the bouquet and stood up to make her way home.

 

*

 

As soon as Yuri opened the door to After School’s dorm, she could smell the sweet aroma of pancakes and maple syrup. After taking off her shoes and walking to the living room, she noticed Yoona passed out on the couch. She smiled to herself and quickly made her way to her room to wash up so she can have her breakfast.

As soon as she was done, Yuri made her way to the kitchen to get some of those pancakes. Instead of finding a plate with pancakes stacked neatly, she only found three pancakes on a plate. They were all oddly shaped heart pancakes to be exact. Yuri grabbed the plate and was about to throw it into the dustbin when she noticed that the dustbin was almost filled to the brim with burnt pancakes.

With a sigh, Yuri brought the plate back to the dining table. Honestly, the pancakes didn’t look appetizing at all but her stomach was growling like some monster and there was no other option but to just eat them all.

When Yuri took a bite, she instantly regretted pouring only a small amount of maple syrup. While the top part of the pancakes looked ok, the bottom parts were burnt. Well not that badly burnt like the ones in the bin.

Yuri grabbed the bottle of maple syrup and poured a huge amount on top of the pancakes. She then wolfed down all of it at an insanely inhumane speed.

A sleepy Yoona walked in as soon as Yuri was done with her pancakes.

“You finished them all?” Yoona stared wide-eyed at the older girl.

“Was I not suppose to?” Yuri asked the girl without answering her question since it was pretty obvious.

“I’m sorry they’re not as tasty as the ones Tiffany unni used to make.” Yoona lowered her head in embarrassment.

“It’s ok. I survived.” Yuri gave the younger girl a small reassuring smile. “I’m just gonna get some sleep.”

 

*

 

Yuri woke up when she smelt something burning. Without hesitation, she leapt out of bed and ran to the kitchen. Yoona wasn’t in the kitchen but Yuri saw smoke coming from the oven.

Panicking, she grabbed the fire extinguisher that was right outside the kitchen. She switched off the oven, opened it and was greeted with thick black smoke. Seeing that nothing was on fire, she grabbed the cloth near the sink, opened the kitchen window and started using the cloth to clear the smoke.

Not wanting to suffocate herself with the smoke, she stayed out of the kitchen and only entered when the smoke had been cleared. She took a peek at what was burning in the oven. She couldn’t even tell what it was because it was burnt. Just then, the door to the dorm opened.

“OHMYGOD MY CHICKEN!!” A frantic Yoona ran to the kitchen.

“Yoona-ah, were you trying to kill me?” Yuri asked the younger girl. She was trying to keep calm.

“I only wanted to make lunch for you and I was hungry.” Yuri had almost hit her head against the counter upon hearing Yoona’s explanation.

“Let’s just call for delivery.”

 

*

 

They called for delivery and Yuri called Nana to inform her about the oven situation and she promised to get them a new oven since Nana loves baking. Nana could only laugh after Yuri informed her about the oven. She told the older girl that it was completely alright and that she never knew Yoona was that bad at cooking.

When the food arrived, the two ate in silence. It was awkward and frustrating. Both had wanted to say so many things but did not want to ruin what they were having since this is the first time in quite some time that they were enjoying lunch together.

Yuri cleared before asking, “So where did you go?”

“Pardon?”

“Where did you go that you had to leave the chicken and attempt to kill me?”

“Had to be somewhere to settle some stuff.” Yoona answered quickly, trying to avoid any more questions because she was horrible at lying to Yuri.

 

*

 

“So how is it going?” Jessica asked Yoona over the phone.

“Awkward.” There was silence as though Jessica is asking Yoona to continue.

“I burnt the pancakes. They were pretty ugly. And uh, I almost set the house on fire.”

“YOU WHAT???” Now it was Taeyeon screaming into the phone.

“Baby, calm down. You know Yoona isn’t that good at cooking.” Jessica reminded her girlfriend.

“Hey I heard that!” Yoona did not like being looked down upon.

“I’m sorry Yoong. But it’s the truth!” Jessica tried to explain herself.

“On the bright side, you still have dinner to win her heart. Remember, if you screw this up, there won’t be anymore chance.” Jessica reminded her.

“I know. I have to go.” Yoona hung up before Jessica or Taeyeon could bid goodbye.