Chapter Seven

The Nine Month Ride

 

“Unnie, don’t sleep”

Taeyeon opened her eyes and sat straight. She watched Seohyun besides her, typing without looking the keys. Seohyun stopped to look at her and the shorter girl showed her a faint smile.

“I was just resting”

Taeyeon stared at the keys on the keyboard close to her hands and sighed. The day felt slower than usual and Taeyeon kind of knew why. She touched the keys in front of her, she sighed again and thought that work could make her stop feeling like how she is currently feeling.

“You’ve been sighing a lot” Seohyun mentioned without glancing at her.

“Really? Its nothing” Taeyeon said as she took the papers besides the computer, organizing them.

She felt eyes on her and her body and her mind felt like releasing another sigh but she controlled herself. It was a way to stop the conversation.

“So… its about Tiffany unnie, right?” Seohyun mentioned casually.

Taeyeon stopped with her work and finally released the sigh she’s been holding in. She looked at Seohyun with a tired expression and nodded.

Seohyun attention was fully on her, “Are you guys still fighting?”

Taeyeon chuckled “We barely talk, Seo”

There were some seconds of silence and Seohyun went back to typing. Taeyeon was about to get back to work when she heard the tall girl speak.

“Then talk to her” she said.

Taeyeon sighed again, “Its not that easy” she touched the papers she left on the desk but she couldn’t concentrate. How could Seohyun write, concentrate on her work and talk to her without making mistakes? She wondered.

“Come on, unnie. You’re making it harder than it should be, just talk to her” Seohyun said while frowning, her eyes locked to the computer screen.

“Well its hard for me, ok?” Taeyeon confessed.

It was Seohyun’s turn to sigh. She stopped writing and stared at Taeyeon again. When Taeyeon saw that kind of stare coming from the young girl she understood that she was slightly annoyed. And she knew why. Annoying Seohyun wasn’t rare but Taeyeon disliked it every time she was the cause of it.

“You’ve been like this for more than a week, you’re making it complicated when it really isn’t” Seohyun was serious.

“The both of you live in your apartment, unnie” she continued “I think you should be the one to take steps to make up with her. You said you didn’t want her to be uncomfortable with you, remember?” her tone was soft but firm. It made Taeyeon feel like a child.

And she was right.

“Fine” Taeyeon pouted.

 “Talk to her, stop this and that way you can actually work” Seohyun joked and Taeyeon laughed.

But she was right, the silly fight has been bothering her mind in work hours and making her feel awkward at home. She didn’t want to go back to square one with Tiffany, not after they were truly bonding.

“I will I will… but not today” Taeyeon said.

Seohyun, who already turned to face the screen on her computer again, curiously asked “Uh? Why is that?”

Taeyeon smiled warmly as she stared at her. What she was about to do later made her feel glad inside.

“I’ll leave early in order to visit our favorite doctor” She grinned.

 

 

***

 

 

The ride to the hospital was nice and calm. She hummed to the song on the radio, Gee, the song that was really popular years ago. Her mood got better and she wasn’t sure if it was because of the song or because she is going to see someone who she hasn’t seen in a while. Probably both things.

When the song ended and followed a slow tempo one her mind unconsciously started thinking about a particular girl.

It’s been two weeks since the fight she had with Tiffany and she still felt guilty about it. It was because of what she said that night that now they were awkward with each other. Leaving Tiffany notes about breakfast was a hard task for her and the day after the discussion, she spent 30 min only thinking how to write it to not sound so distant and not so warm. She found that one note in the trash and as silly as it sounds, it kind of hurt her. Taeyeon usually changes the notes on the refrigerator herself; the other girl never threw them.

Their conversations were only things like ‘I’ll be back late’ and monosyllables. Some days, Taeyeon heard her coming home late after work and a part of her wanted to talk to her and say that she was glad that she was already home but she obviously never did it. She recalled the day she went to buy cookies for Tiffany and the thought that Tiffany didn’t ask her to do it again or just the thought that she couldn’t do it again disappointed her.

But there is something else that bothered her, that’s been also bothering her these days. Taeyeon didn’t dare to think about it, she suppressed it and it was almost like it doesn’t exist. But it is there and that bothers her. She stopped those thoughts.

Seohyun was right, she suddenly thought. Tiffany lives with her in her apartment, she should try to mend things even its hard, even if it feels complicated. Because she wants to do all the things she couldn’t do the last two weeks. Even if they get busy and they can’t talk that much because of work, Tiffany at least would count on her when the time is needed.

She would talk to her later.

 

The view of the hospital was getting bigger and when she was already close to it she drove her car into the parking lot. She looked at the time on her phone and realized it was almost lunch time.

She walked around the hospital until she noticed a cafeteria. The place was big but there weren’t many people yet. Most doctors might be still working. At the far, she distinguished someone eating carefully her food. She smiled as she watched her. She knew she would be there even if it wasn’t lunch time yet.

She approached the girl, “Hi there”.

The lady looked up and widened her eyes “Wha-hey hi, sit down!” she said while motioning Taeyeon to sit on the chair in front of her.

Taeyeon sat and smiled at her when she was already facing her “It’s been a while, Sooyoung”

It took a moment for Sooyoung to answer, “That’s true. I missed you shorty” she smiled.

“Yah” Taeyeon said before cracking a grin, “I missed you too, stick”

Sooyoung playfully glared at her “Tsk tsk”

Taeyeon laughed and felt that it was great to visit Sooyoung.

“But, what brings you here? I mean, we haven’t talked since…” Sooyoung stopped and Taeyeon knew how to complete that sentence. ‘Since the funeral’.

“I know… I’m sorry about that” Taeyeon lowered her gaze, staring at Sooyoung’s food. The smell was making her feel a little hungry.

“Its fine, I understand. I’m happy to have you here anyway. How have you been?” the girl with the white doctor coat asked carefully.

“Umm, I’m… better now” Taeyeon reassured her with a smile.

Sooyoung moved the hand that wasn’t holding the chopsticks and grabbed Taeyeon’s left hand, squeazing it in silence. Taeyeon appreciated the gesture.

“How have you been?” It was Taeyeon’s turn to ask.

The girl ate before showing her the food with the chopsticks in her right hand. A way to ask Taeyeon if she wanted some. Taeyeon shook her head.

“I’m fine. A little stressed with work, you know. It’s a stressful job and- oh I have a date this Saturday” Sooyoung grinned before taking another bite.

“Who is the unlucky guy?” Taeyeon teased.

“You know he will be the luckiest guy on earth, come on” Sooyoung joked after taking a sip of the soda besides her.

“Yeah, right” Taeyeon chuckled, “Have fun, then”.

“I will, he’ll pay”” She joked and Taeyeon laughed.

 

Taeyeon and Sooyoung have been friends for 3 years. It was a boring Friday night at Seohyun’s house when a guy that wanted to hit on the young girl rang the bell. He wanted to take Seohyun to a party close to the neighborhood and Taeyeon thought that it was the perfect opportunity to tease Seohyun. The taller girl wasn’t into parties and even less into that guy but Taeyeon insisted so they went to the place with him. Taeyeon giggled all the way to the party with Seohyun glaring at her, but after a while there they both got bored and Taeyeon wasn’t giggling anymore. Seohyun wasn’t glaring at her anymore, she was more like dead.  When they were about to leave they saw a girl approaching them, asking if they wanted something to eat. ‘Don’t go’ she said, ‘let’s talk!’

 And that’s exactly what they did, in a corner far away from the noise and the people dancing and sweating; they sat and talked together, laughed and even drank soju. After laughs and stupid conversations, they found out that the owner of the party house was no other but the funny girl talking to them, Sooyoung.

Going to the party was a great idea after all and they were thankful towards the dude who rang the bell that night and who Seohyun rejected the next day.

 

“So… you just came here to chat?” Soo asked her while pointing the chopsticks to Taeyeon.

“Why do you think I came with other reasons?” Taeyeon smiled.

Sooyoung shrugged “Just asking”.

Taeyeon sighed. Sooyoung knows her really well. Even if she wanted to see Sooyoung, she would have just called to meet. She came with a bigger reason in mind.

“Is not like I didn’t want to see you-“

“Hey, I know. Don’t worry” Sooyoung smiled.

Taeyeon nodded before speaking “You’re an obstetrician so I was hoping you could help-“

“What?!” Sooyoung suddenly said.

Taeyeon watched her, confused.

Sooyoung widened her, “Oh my god are you pregnant?!”

Taeyeon frowned.

“No- What”

“Wait!” The doctor said as she widened her eyes even more, “You can be pregnant. It is Seohyun? oh my god why!”

“Soo- no”

“Oh no Seohyun she was so brilliant! This can’t be-!”

“Soo-calm down” Taeyeon said as she looked around, hoping no one was watching them.

“Who did this to her?! Who, tell meeeee!?” Sooyoung raised her voice.

“No one! God, its not Seohyun”

Sooyoung looked like she was about to speak so Taeyeon beat her to it, “And definitely not me”.

 

“Oh… Sorry about that” the thinner woman continued eating.

Taeyeon was slightly amused about what just happened. She chuckled as she thought that this will become one of those silly moments they would talk about in the future. Seohyun would laugh so loud when she tells her about the incident.

“So, who?” Sooyoung said after finishing eating everything.

Taeyeon looked down for a second, staring at the table before speaking “A friend umm… my roommate?” She hesitantly said.

Sooyoung’s expression showed curiosity “Roommate? Since when did you have one?”

Taeyeon didn’t know how to answer that. The truth was that she didn’t want to explain everything. Maybe later but right now, the only answer could be…

“It’s… complicated” She showed a small smile.

Sooyoung watched her and Taeyeon gazed somewhere else. She knew Sooyoung was thinking about her words, but she wouldn’t ask. Sooyoung used to ask a lot before but one day she changed her ways. ‘Is better if you just trust me enough to tell me’ she mentioned years ago and Taeyeon appreciated it.

Taeyeon trusted her its just… sometimes she just doesn’t want to talk about it. And other times she wanted to hide things. It was better that way.

“Uh… I see. You want me to be her doctor, I assume”

Taeyeon nodded.

“If its fine by you, Soo. I trust you more”

Sooyoung smiled, “Of course, Tae” and that earned a sincere thank you and a smile from Taeyeon.

“Sorry if I ask… I assume the father isn’t around?” Sooyoung asked.

Taeyeon gulped.

Sooyoung’s eyes made her feel weird about trying to hide the fact that her brother is the father. A part of her wanted to just let it out and welcome the surprise stare that Sooyoung would show, see how those eyes change slowly to pity or even anger. ‘Jiwoong was reckless’ she would think but Sooyoung wouldn’t say it out loud and that would make everything easier.  That would end this hard talk and she wouldn’t need to deal with it later. But the other part of her was stronger or maybe weaker? And that part didn’t want deal with the feelings that would get to her when she sees the eyes changing in front of her.

It was a matter of time anyway, but right now she would wait.

“He… left” Taeyeon answered after a while, trying to stay as calm as possible, tears threating to come out.

Sooyoung lowered her gaze, looking serious, thinking. She sighed and Taeyeon thought that maybe she realized who the father was.

“I hate it when guys just run away… When this is their responsibility too” Sooyoung shook her head.

Of course Sooyoung wouldn’t think that. She would need to be crazy to come up with something like that even if it was true.

Taeyeon just stayed quiet.

“Poor girl” Soyooung continued “Dealing with this alone” she sighed again.

Taeyeon frowned, slightly offended by Sooyoung’s words. Tiffany wasn’t alone, she was there to help her in anything that she needs and she would be there for her for a lifetime, even if it gets hard. She was about to protest against Sooyoung’s statement when it hit her. The tall girl meant that Tiffany would be a single mom and now that Taeyeon thinks about it, no matter what she does or how she does it, she would never fill that space and Tiffany might do feel like she is dealing with this alone, just like her friend in front of her said. It made her feel sad and helpless.

“Taeyeon?” She felt a hand on her shoulder, pushing aside the thoughts running on her head.

“Ah… sorry I was just … You’re right” She said in a low voice and clenched her fists unconsciously.

Sooyoung nodded.

“So, how long is it?” Sooyoung asked with a serious and doctor-ish tone.

“The pregnancy? Umm… Around 3 months, I think” Taeyeon answered, focusing on these type of thoughts and leaving the other depressing ones.

Sooyoung got surprised “Oh! That means that she could know the gender of the baby”

Hearing that, Taeyeon felt a surge of excitement growing inside of her, her expression mirrored Sooyoung’s but with a bigger smile.

“Seriously? That’s great, I’m sure she would be excited about it!”  She imagined telling Tiffany.

Sooyoung laughed. “You make me feel excited too! When do want to do it? I can tomorrow”

Taeyeon was about to say yes but the word stayed in when she remembered that Tiffany and her were still awkward with each other. Tomorrow was still too sudden for Taeyeon, she didn’t think she could work it out with her today and even if she did they might still need a few days to get comfortable again.

“I can’t tomorrow” Taeyeon lied, a little disappointed that they will need to wait a little longer.

“Umm well I can on Friday and all the next week around this time” Sooyoung said while touching her chin.

“Friday would be great, Soo. I’ll confirm with you by text” Taeyeon smiled.

“Great! And then we could talk about everything with your friend.” Sooyung smiled before staring at her watch.

“Oh! I gotta go, Taeyeon. I’m late for one appointment. Text me” Sooyoung said while touching Taeyeon’s arm “And talk to me, anytime. I’ll be there”

Taeyeon stared at her and nodded, smiling.

 

“I know, Sooyoung and… thank you”

 

 

***

 

 

 Tiffany adjusted herself on the chair in front of Jessica’s desk every 30 minutes. Her back was hurting from the positions but that was the only chair available and she was really sleepy.  With closed eyes, she groaned and moved her shoulder, flicking at the small pain on it.

“If you wanted to sleep you should have stayed at home”

Tiffany didn’t need to open her eyes to see who was talking to her. She didn’t respond.

“Hey, Tiff”

Ugh.

“Tiff”

She furrowed her brows.

“Shh, Jessi. I want to sleep”

She heard a sight coming from her best friend, “You didn’t want to see Taeyeon or you really thought that my chair would be greater than your bed?”

Tiffany opened her eyes slowly, brows still furrowed.

“I can’t come early to see you anymore?” Tiffany asked trying to sound a little offended by Jessica’s question.

Jessica stared at her with a ‘yeah right’ expression and Tiffany sighed in defeat.

“I woke up early and tried avoiding Taeyeon who was still in the kitchen by coming here to eat breakfast” Tiffany finally answered with a hint of sadness on her voice.

Jessica rolled her eyes, “Seriously, Tiff? It’s been like what? Two weeks. Give it a rest already”

Tiffany opened , trying to say something to contra rest Jessica’s words but she didn’t exactly know what to say.

“It isn’t exactly easy, ok?” Tiffany frowned as she looked anywhere else but her boss.

Tiffany felt Jessica’s eyes on her, she imagined her expression, a curious one probably. There were some seconds of silence and the brunette assumed her friend was thinking what wasn’t exactly easy, like she said.

“Tiff” Tiffany slightly turned her head towards her friend, staring at her “Move on. I thought you were getting along, don’t let this ruin that”

Jessica was serious and Tiffany thought she looked a little annoyed. Jessica would get annoyed at her when she was so stubborn.

“We were, but…” Tiffany said and memories of that night flashed in her mind. There was something else.

“What but? Seriously, Tiffany I thought you were more mature. You told me Taeyeon even got out late only to buy you cookies. Do you really want this-“

“No!” Tiffany said frustrated, Jessica was right. She was being immature. “I don’t what to ruin anything; I just don’t know how to approach her after what happened”

If Jessica could only know… could only understand, Tiffany thought. But, Tiffany didn’t exactly understand what’s on her mind. Well, sometimes Jessica understood more than her but this wasn’t one of those times.

“Just do it. Taeyeon offered your help and she’s been trying, you know it. She might even feel guilty, you know?”

Tiffany lowered her head, now she was the one feeling guilty.

“She made a mistake, but just… let it go” the blond showed her a small smile.

Tiffany sighed, “I… You’re right. I’m sorry”

Jessica lifted her eyebrows and laughed, “Why are you apologizing to me, apologize to her for being so damn annoying”

Tiffany laughed and slapped her boss’s arm “Yah!”

She stopped staring at Jessica to gaze at the floor, thinking about what to do. She didn’t want to be like this with Taeyeon, she would talk to her today. She made up her mind.

She moved on the chair uncomfortable unconsciously when she heard Jessica chuckle.

“Go home and rest, don’t come today. It’s Monday, slow day.”

Tiffany sighed, her back was indeed killing her and it would be better to get home and rest for a while before Taeyeon comes home and they could finally talk.

Taeyeon… Tiffany pushed away some thoughts that were threating it to come back to her. She didn’t want to think about something in particular.

“Thank you, I’ll go now” Tiffany stood up and reached for her purse, she stared at Jessica, softly. What would be of her without Jessica? She would be lost.

“Go” Jessica smiled cutely.

Tiffany smiled and Jessica nodded in response. Tiffany knew her best friend understood she was really thankful for her advices. They don’t need more words.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Tiffany opened the door of the apartment to find it empty like she expected. Taeyeon was still at work and she wouldn’t be home until 7 pm or so. She closed the door and walked to her room; she dropped her purse on the bed and sighed while watching it jump a little from the fall.

 She sat on the corner of the bed, her mind blank. Her eyes were locked to the floor as her minds started to remember things. Things from two weeks ago. She absent mindedly touched the sheets, her mind traveling to Taeyeon, the fight, their words. To others eyes it might be a compressible fight, but they wouldn’t understand why the both of them are still not really talking to each other. It’s not like she was this stubborn all the time, even if her character showed it a lot. Tiffany lifted her head, not really paying attention to her surroundings; not stopping her thoughts.

Tiffany had more reasons that the fight itself.

Her eyes finally focused on the thing that was in front of her, it was a mirror that was handing above the drawers, on the wall. She focused on her reflection, on her eyes, her nose… her lips.

She stood up from the bed and walked closer to mirror, she saw her reflection with a serious expression. When she was in front on it, a few centimeters away, she moved her hand and it slowly went up to her lips. She touched them softly as if they were hurt, and recalled what happened.

The aura around them in the dark living room. A faint light coming from outside. Taeyeon’s eyes. Their proximity. Tiffany held her breath unconsciously when she remembered Taeyeon staring at her lips. It was… almost intense.

Tiffany thought about what happened more times that she would admit to. She thought more about that than Taeyeon’s previous words, than the fight itself.

She wasn’t angry.

She was confused.

She dropped her hand and turned her back to the mirror. Supporting herself on the drawers behind her.

At some point she thought it was just her imagination, but she knows what she felt there and when Taeyeon suddenly backed away and almost run to her room. She was almost sure it happened. It was something she was expecting to be just buried down but the truth was that right now, it was there on her mind. And Tiffany was just confused.

Pain on her stomach cut out of her thoughts, “ugh, not again”

She touched her belly as she squatted a little because on the pain. She groaned as she felt the nauseas that haunted her from time to time. She left her bedroom and walked fast to the bathroom, feeling the thing elevating from her stomach to .

She lifted the toilet lid and bended over to throw up, desperately.

She felt a hand on her neck and could have jumped scarily if it wasn’t because she could barely move at the moment. The person besides her grabbed her hair so it wouldn’t get into the toilet and rubbed her back slowly.

She knew who it was.

She was embarrassed about Taeyeon watching her in that state even if it happened before. Why was she there so early? It was probably around 4 pm. She didn’t say anything after throwing up and stayed there, bending in front of the toilet, breathing hard. She would never get used to this.

“Are you better?” Taeyeon asked softly.

Tiffany nodded; she was a little tired to speak. She couldn’t see Taeyeon but the older girl could.

She stood up with the help of the shorter girl as she slowly walked towards the sink. From the mirror in front of her she could finally see Taeyeon but when their eyes met she lowered her gaze. She might be looking really bad right now. She didn’t want to see Taeyeon’s expression.

She washed her face and her teeth with Taeyeon resting her back on the wall outside the bathroom but close to the door. She wasn’t watching Tiffany but Tiffany could watch her by the reflection on the mirror. When Taeyeon turned to her, she dropped her head a little, pretending she was staring at the sink with the water flowing down.

When she finished, she dried her face and sighed. Her back was facing Taeyeon but it was time to really face her and talk to her and it seemed like Taeyeon was waiting for her to finish her stuff on the bathroom to have a decent conversation.

“Tiffany…” Tiffany heard Taeyeon said in a low voice and decided to just turn around.

Taeyeon looked like a puppy and it almost made Tiffany smile, but it wasn’t the moment to do it. She stayed quiet to let Taeyeon talk.

 “I…” Taeyeon said but stayed quiet again, she stopped staring at Tiffany and glanced at somewhere else.

“I’m sorry” Tiffany said in a low voice. It was what she felt.

Taeyeon stared at her for a second before speaking “No, don’t apologize, please. I’m the one who is at fault” Tiffany wanted to interrupt and say that she was at fault too but she let Taeyeon speak further.

“It wasn’t the right thing to ask. Just because I watched you with a guy- I did jump to conclusions” Taeyeon said seriously and sincerely. Tiffany could feel the sincerity coming from her eyes and she felt guilty of making the older girl feel like she’s been angry.

“I- I’m sorry for making this a big deal. I’m not angry anymore, Taeyeon…” She sighed.

Taeyeon nodded but the air around them was still a little awkward. Taeyeon made the first step. Tiffany will be the one to erase the awkward atmosphere around them.

“I…” Tiffany started as she waited for Taeyeon lock eyes with her, “I don’t want us to be weird. I really want us to grow close” Tiffany said genuinely.

Taeyeon smiled and that earned a smile from Tiffany.

“I want that too, I don’t want us to be uncomfortable with each other” Taeyeon said softly and with a smile still on her face. She walked towards Tiffany and stood up a few steps away from her.

Tiffany smiled bigger this time, “I’m glad we’re on the same page” and Taeyeon nodded and smiled showing a little dimple that made Tiffany feel a little tingle inside of her.

Taeyeon touched her arms and awkwardly tried to hug her, unsure of the action. Tiffany appreciated the gesture and put her arms around her, showing Taeyeon that she doesn’t have to be unsure about that. That she could hug her every time she wanted. Some type of happiness invaded her.

They will have more fights in the future, Tiffany was sure of it. These were bound to happen but she will protect their slowly growing bond, hoping that every fight would end up with a hug and the warm feeling that comes from it.

Inside of a bathroom and close to the toilet that she bended a while ago to throw up, she found the best moment of her day.

 

----------

A/N: Hi, again. Did you like the chapter? Tell me your thoughts, I really appreciate them :3
I wanted to let you know that I have just started school so updates might be slower. Two updates in a month is my goal but sometimes it might only be one .But I will update regulary c: