Chapter Six

The Nine Month Ride

 

Driving in lonely and empty streets, Taeyeon followed comfortably the directions in her brain to the convenience store. It was 2:30 am and the night was probably cold but Taeyeon felt warm inside her car. She left her room at the middle of the night, looking for something to drink and got surprised when she saw Tiffany roaming the kitchen. Tiffany was hungry and she couldn’t sleep. Taeyeon told her that she could have bread or cereal but Tiffany was specifically hungry for chocolate and vanilla cookies. That thing exactly. Nothing more and nothing less.

Taeyeon didn’t have cookies and that’s why she is now inside of her car, getting into a curve while yawning. At first Tiffany didn’t want to let her go out so late, but Taeyeon made her understand that what she had is something typical of her state and she wanted to be helpful with that.

Taeyeon finally reached the convenience store and suddenly felt bad for the people who have to work there instead of sleeping. Sleeping is just great.  She left her car after she parked it and ventured inside the store in search of these cookies.

It’s been a month and a few days since that Saturday that they spent with each other. The next weeks were extremely busy for Taeyeon. She had more work than usual and that made her have less time to spend with Tiffany and she was a little disappointed about it. One day she came home from work and heard weird noises inside the bathroom. She rushed to it and found the other girl puking on the toilet. She helped her and after talking with Tiffany for a while she found out it wasn’t the first time.

 

“You’ve been busy. I didn’t want to disturb you”

“I’m never busy for you and the baby”

 

Taeyeon felt the cold breeze from the store, oh god why is this place so cold? She rubbed her own arms while looking for the thing she wanted.

Vanilla cookies! Oh no, she wants chocolate too. There are chocolate cookies here… what if I buy vanilla cookies and chocolate cookies? She wondered as she roamed the place.

Umm.

Taeyeon remembered from tv shows and articles on the internet that if a girl is pregnant and wants something, you should give her the exact thing. It helps her mood. Buying separate cookies is a no no.

She kept walking and yawned again. She was so sleepy and Tiffany probably noticed it. I hope she doesn’t feel guilty, Taeyeon thought. She wanted to do this actually, it was something she wanted more than sleeping at this moment.

 

Here they are!

Taeyeon grabbed three choco and vanilla cookies (just in case) and went to pay for them. The guy on the cash register gave her a faint smile after giving her the receipt and put the cookies in a little bag. She said thank you and left the place. She run to her car, not dressed for this night. She put the keys and started the engine.

As she drove she suddenly imagined Jiwoong doing this. Going to a store, buying something for Tiffany at late hours. As Taeyeon followed the road to home she imagined Jiwoong greeting Tiffany with the cookies and a smile. In her mind she saw them being in love. Happy, maybe. She frowned. Where would they live? Tiffany’s old place? A new place of their own? Jiwoong lived with her parents. Taeyeon unconsciously tighten her hands on the wheel. Her parents would have made a living hell for Tiffany if Jiwoong and her moved there. Taeyeon felt angry. She remembered how her mother made the girl with darker hair cry. After some minutes she loosened her hold on the wheel and sighed. There was no point in getting angry about that right now.

Taeyeon hasn’t talked to her mother since that day. She hasn’t even called home. She was still disappointed at her and she was expecting a call with her mother apologizing but it didn’t happen. Her dad did call her and even though he didn’t ask about Tiffany or the baby, he said:

“I’m proud of you, Taeyeon. I’m sorry if sometimes we aren’t good enough”

Taeyeon got in front of the building of her apartment, parked her car and felt on her lips the salty weary tear she just dropped. They were good. Her parents were great. They just needed time. She hoped.

She left her car and went upstairs.

 

 

 The apartment was quiet and dark. Taeyeon was about to call Tiffany but she beat her to it.

“Taeyeon?” She heard Tiffany’s voice and after her eyes adjusted to the dark she finally spotted Tiffany sitting on the couch, waiting for her.

“Cookies delivery here” Taeyeon smiled, even though she knew Tiffany might not see it.

She heard steps. Tiffany was getting closer so she also walked, making the distance shorter.

“Here you are, miss” Taeyeon was the first to speak, “I brought three in case you are still hungry, haha”, she joked as she stared at Tiffany’s features. They were close already and they could see each other.

But Tiffany was quiet.

“Tiffany… are you ok?” Taeyeon said worriedly.

Tiffany dropped her gaze and stared at the floor. Taeyeon felt puzzled at her expression, what was happening? She was about to ask again when Tiffany lifted her gaze and stared at her and Taeyeon stayed quiet. It was like she wanted to talk but couldn’t.

Tiffany grabbed the bag with the cookies and smiled. They kept staring at each other and Taeyeon felt a little tingle on her stomach.

“Thank you… not just the cookies, its…” Tiffany mentioned but stopped. Taeyeon understood.

“Fany, I…” She knew.

She touched Tiffany’s elbow and then her shoulder. She smiled, moved on by Tiffany’s eyes. Her eyes were so pretty, she thought.

Tiffany hugged her. Warm and unexpected. It was exactly like the first time she felt her arms around her but this time she couldn’t react faster and before she was about to hug the girl who had her cheek resting on her shoulder, the arms released her and Taeyeon was left standing with her arms awkwardly in the air.

She blinked and dropped them.

Tiffany smiled sweetly before thanking her for the cookies, saying she was still hungry with a husky laugh.

 

“I’m happy that you are Jiwoong’s sister” Tiffany said before saying goodnight and going to bed.

Taeyeon smiled even after seeing her figure getting inside the room in front of hers.

 

 

Taeyeon rested her head on her pillow, stared at the ceiling and felt... good. This night wouldn’t be a sleepless one.

 

 

***

 

“Martini here” Tiffany said smiling to the customer, a young man with his group of friends looking like they have been drinking from bar to bar.

“Thank you baby” the guy said as his friends laughed while watching her with grins. Tiffany left the table and rolled her eyes when she wasn’t facing them anymore. Ugh, disgusting guys.

She walked to the bar stool table and saw the bartender handing some drinks to Yuri. Tiffany smiled while watching her. Yuri got better as the days passed by but she was still nervous from time to time. Tiffany saw her leaving as some guys standing or sitting around watched her, probably thinking she was a hot girl. Tiffany sighed. A part of her didn’t want Yuri to experience the things she had to experience while working. But work is work, and Yuri might have her reasons to work there… just like her.

Tiffany returned her eyes to the bartender who was giving her a smile.

“Yuri has gotten better, right?” the guy mentioned while glancing shortly towards the lady serving drinks on the tables and before he starts cleaning the table.

Tiffany nodded “I guess she got used to this, at least”. They both faintly smiled.

“Just a few more drinks and your shift will be over, I gotta stay a little” the bartender said with a sigh after he finished cleaning.

“Sorry about that, Donghae” Tiffany mentioned as she sat on the stool chair.

Donghae has been the bartender at Red Lips from the very beginning. He was not only good for business, since some girls came only to flirt with him, but he was a good guy and a good friend. He helped in everything he could. Tiffany knew she could count on him, especially after he hugged her when he found out about Jiwoong, not asking anything, trying not to hurt her with questions. But she still hasn’t told him about being pregnant. Even Yuri knew. It was still a difficult topic.

Donghae laughed “It’s fine. I’m used to it” He served her more drinks, “You know the table for these, right?”

“Yep, thanks” Tiffany left with the drinks, hoping to not deal with more s. She was safe from that this time, the table had only women laughing loudly and talking about men. Tiffany laughed while listening to them, unconsciously wishing for them to go early and not meet any of the usual customers they have.

She left the table and felt relieved. The shift was over and she walked directly to Jessica’s office. She had the key, Jessica always leaves it with her when she isn’t at the place.

Tiffany got inside and closed the door. The music was only a faint and far away sound now. She sat on her usual seat and relaxed, closing her eyes. She thought of the people in the bar, the drunk guys, the drunk girls, the s who thought they were funny. She thought of Jiwoong. He was no , he was nice and sweet most of the time. If he wasn’t drunk.  Tiffany opened her eyes and sighed. Red Lips always bring memories of Jiwoong to her. It was weird not having him on the bar stool, talking to Donghae. It was almost sad even if she hated it when he was at the bar, so close to his biggest enemy.

She took out her phone from her pocket and her fingers traveled to ‘Pics’. She had a lot of funny photos with Jessica, Donghae and now she will need to have some with Yuri.  She smiled at that fact. Jessica and Donghae were part of this little family and she wants Yuri to feel she is part too.

The next pic was a pic of her and Jiwoong. They were hugging each other, looking like a typical couple. It was one of the few pics they had together –He hated taking pics- and Tiffany gladly stored it. It made her smile.

It would be a lie to say that she misses the type of relationship they had as a couple, but she just missed him and a part of her heart was still hurt at everything that involves him. She sighed, unconsciously.

She moved her fingers, seeing more pics but there wasn’t anything that caught her interest again so she stopped and left her phone on the desk.

She closed her eyes again and all of a sudden wondered if she could take a pic with Taeyeon. The amusement park could have been the best place but they both didn’t feel like doing it, they didn’t even think about it. But it could be nice, right? She thought. She and Taeyeon smiling to the camera. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

She touched her belly and opened her eyes. She stared at her hand resting on it and thought of a pic with the baby in her arms. She smiled again, rubbing softly the part she was touching.

 

“Maybe a pic with auntie Taeyeon, huh?” She said before chucking.

 

A knock on the door startled her.

“Fany, can I come in?” A male voice came from behind the door.

“Ah- yes, Donghae. Come in” Tiffany said sitting straight on the chair, wondering what he wanted.

Donghae opened the door and he was wering his normal attire, not the black and white bartender outfit from minutes before. Why?

“Jessica called me. She said we could close early today. It wasn’t necessary to stay this time” He smiled big, obviously happy.

“Oh that’s great, Donghae!” Tiffany said genuinely. Sometimes Donghae was the one to close the bar, making him the only one to stay until late. Sometimes Tiffany felt bad for him.

“Aha! So, I told Yuri I could take her home. I’ll give you a ride too” He said while moving the car keys in his right hand.

“Ah than you but I don’t want-“

“To be a bother” Donghae said while rolling his eyes. “Let’s go. Now now, faster!”

Tiffany laughed, stood up and slapped his arm “Ok, don’t make fun of me. Let’s go”.

She took her purse but Donghae was still watching her, with a grin.

“What?” She said.

“Your clothes, Fany” He laughed.

Tiffany lowered her head to look at her outfit, it was the waitress one. She laughed.

“Get out, I’m gonna change”

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon was playing something on her phone as she waited for a person to come home. It was 3:30 am and she wasn’t sleepy. How could she be? It was really late and the younger girl was still outside or at the bar, who knows. The zone was dangerous, she recalled the incident with that old drunk man a while ago. Taeyeon stopped played. There was no use, she was only losing and getting annoyed.

Should I call her? She wondered. Taeyeon didn’t want to intrude into her space, that space being her work. Tiffany already knew she didn’t like her job and calling her could annoy her and she didn’t want to stress her. Or maybe Taeyeon was just being stupid, why would calling her be wrong? She is just worried.

“Ugh” Taeyeon said as she stood up from her bed.

She walked to the couch in front of the tv and sat on it. She looked for the remote control but when she found it she didn’t turn on the tv.

With the remote still in her hands she turned her head to the window close to the couch. She stared at it. She left the remote on the small table in front of the couch before standing up.

She stared at the ceiling and sighed.

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows. She heard the sound of a car. Could it be Tiffany in a taxi? She walked to the window, with curiosity filling her.

Taeyeon saw a car parking in front of the building and she could see Tiffany inside in the passenger seat. She smiled, relieved. She was home. Her gaze turned to the person besides Tiffany, the driver. She saw a guy and curiosity was back. She used the curtains as a way to not be seen, she squinted her eyes while adjusting to the position.

The dark haired girl left the car with a smile. She turned and waved before walking to the building. Then she suddenly stopped. Taeyeon felt more curious as she watched her turning around. She finally fully saw the man when he left the car, showing something to Tiffany. She probably forgot it inside. Tiffany was probably about to thank him but Taeyeon stopped looking, feeling weird.

She walked to the couch and sat on it. Questions running in her mind. She frowned as she waited for Tiffany.

Minutes later the door finally opened and Taeyeon followed the sound. Tiffany got inside trying not to make any sound, probably to not wake her up. She closed it and when she turned around she looked surprised at seeing Taeyeon.

“Tae hey… why aren’t you sleeping?” Tiffany said in a low voice, like she could wake up someone else.

 “I… woke up and when I didn’t see you I thought could wait for you” She lied. She didn’t sleep.

“Thank you… but you should sleep. Its Sunday but its better if you rest” Tiffany walked to her with a sweet smile on her face.

Taeyeon stared at her, frowning, feeling a bit annoyed. She remembered her smiling towards the guy in the car and the question came to her mind again. She wasn’t sure what she wanted to ask. She wanted to forget it and hold it in but something inside of her was making it hard task.

She had to ask.

“Tiffany… I” Taeyeon started but she didn’t know how to say it. She saw the smile on her face leaving, her expression showing curiosity.

“I saw you, from the window” Taeyeon said in a low tone and waited for Tiffany to say something but Tiffany was just quiet, waiting for her.

“I saw you with a guy” Taeyeon said.

“What?” Tiffany asked with a frown on her pretty face.

Taeyeon opened but no words came from it. She suddenly realized how stupid it sound, how stupid it just was. She felt weird. She felt stupid.

“What- I don’t understand” Tiffany said and the tone wasn’t low anymore.

 

 “I mean… does he like you?” were the words that left Taeyeon’s lips after some seconds and the older girl could just wonder why she said something stupid again.

“What? Where is this coming from?” Tiffany said, her tone sounding angry and Taeyeon couldn’t blame her.

She stood up from the couch so that her eyes could be almost on the same level as Tiffany’s.

“I’m sorry, but I saw you with him” Taeyeon signaled the window “And I just wondered if there was something… I mean, you can tell me-“

“Tell you what? That I’m dating the guy you saw me with?” Tiffany sounded irritated.

Taeyeon lowered her gaze for a second before staring at Tiffany again. She had the right to ask, she thought.

“Tiffany you know why I ask” Taeyeon calmly mentioned, trying to not get into a fight with her.

“No, I actually don’t know. Why would you ask this? What makes you jump to conclusions-“

“No, Tiffany. That’s why I’m asking. I’m not jumping-“

“Of course you are!” Tiffany was exasperated and Taeyeon could totally notice it.

Tiffany continued “You think just because a guy brings me home I could be dating him. What do you think of me? I thought you knew better”

Taeyeon saw hurt in her eyes and it hurt her soul, she shouldn’t be hurting Tiffany and it was even worse now that she is more sensitive.

“It’s because of the baby, I ask this because of everything” Taeyeon wanted to explain but she didn’t know how, “And Jiwoong…” And…

And there was something else but Taeyeon couldn’t figure out what. She frowned, confused.

“That’s exactly the reason I thought you knew better. Why I would be dating at this time? For god’s sake Taeyeon I can’t even think about love right now!” Tiffany showed anger and hurt and Taeyeon’s eyes probably reflected guilt. She clenched her fists.

“Dating is not a ing option, Taeyeon and I never thought-“

“It was just a question!” Taeyeon raised her voice, finally annoyed at her confusion, at her anger, at her guilt, at her hurt.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry, okay? I just had to ask. I needed to ask!” Taeyeon said agitated “I’m sorry if I offended you but…” Taeyeon lowered her tone and almost whispering she said “I didn’t want to ask but I couldn’t stop myself”

She dropped her gaze.

“I’m sorry… I saw you there and I…” Taeyeon stared at Tiffany’s eyes. Trying to convey what she felt because it wasn’t easy to explain. She couldn’t explain it. She wanted the younger girl to understand that it was just something she felt and she never meant to offend her.

“What Taeyeon?” Tiffany’s tone was soft. Like a lullaby.

Tiffany’s eyes were locked to hers, intimidatingly sweet. Softly looking at each other's eyes, like they both were in fragile state. But the oldest broke the gaze when her eyes landed on Tiffany’s lips for a second. Taeyeon noticed her action and dropped her gaze to the floor. She backed away.

“Nothing… I should sleep” Taeyeon stared at the window.

“I’m sorry again, Tiffany. Never meant to hurt you” Taeyeon said while passing besides her, going to her room. She touched the other girl’s shoulder and looked at her for the last time before leaving, not waiting for her to talk.

 

Inside of her room Taeyeon laid on her bed and with closed eyes, she gulped.

 

She wasn't sleepy at all.

 

-----------------

A/N: Hi, new chapter here. Did you like it? Tell me what you think, I like to read you c: