Chapter Three

The Nine Month Ride

 

 

Taeyeon heard a faint noise, but she didn’t want to move to see what it was.

Unnie…

Unnie…

Ugh, unnie… what?

She felt someone touching her shoulder, shaking it. Ugh.

 

“Unnie!”

Taeyeon opened her eyes and turned to the source of the sound and found Seohyun, her coworker. She realized she had fallen asleep.

At work.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, Seohyun… oh I fell asleep”, Taeyeon was pretty worried now. She hoped with her entirely life that her boss didn’t see her sleeping on her desk when she was supposed to be filing papers.

“It’s fine, unnie. The boss is not here yet”, Taeyeon released a relieved sigh, “but I’ve been trying to wake you up for a while. You were heavily asleep, are you ok?”

Taeyeon saw the worry in Seohyun’s eyes and it made her feel bad. The last thing she wanted now is people getting worried over her.

Taeyeon grabbed one of the papers she should be filing before her boss comes to check and answered Seohyun, “I’m… better, but I’ve had a fight with my parents yesterday night”, Taeyeon sighed “I think I had a hard time trying to sleep after that”.

Yesterday, a call from her parents surprised Taeyeon. They usually call her at her cell phone number but this time they called her at her home telephone number. Taeyeon forgot to turn her phone on since the day before and her parents were worried and angry at her behavior. Her mom cried on the phone and Taeyeon said sorry more than 10 times, but her mom was still angry… and something she said also angered Taeyeon.

‘Don’t you care about your mother crying for your dead brother every day?’

Ugh.

Taeyeon remembered clearly how mad she felt at that moment when she screamed on the phone.

‘I cry every morning and every night too, mom! I cry because not only because he was my brother but also because he was the only one who could ever understand me in this family!’

And she hung up the phone.

 

“Unnie…”

 Taeyeon felt a hand on her face and that startled her, “uh, what?”

“You were spacing out” Seohyun said after sighing.

“Oh… sorry, I might still be a little sleepy”

Seohyun smiled and started working again. Taeyeon leaned on her chair and stared at her work. She kind of hated her job. Business Administration was a boring career to her, everything was too practical. One didn’t need to feel anything and that was the thing Taeyeon disliked the most about her job. Or maybe the problem was just her since a lot of people loved their job at her work place, like Seohyun. The girl smiled big at numbers and statistics even if what she wanted before was to be a pianist and now it’s only a hobby, it was cute.

Taeyeon always wanted to be an architect. She had great imagination, she believes. Old friends used to ask her why she didn’t study Architecture instead of Business. Taeyeon said ‘easy money’ with a grin. The truth was that she needed the money because she wanted to leave her parents’ house and live… freely.

She loved her parents with her whole heart but there was something about her that they just wouldn’t understand.

“Maybe you should go back to your parents’ house for a while, spend time with them”, Seohyun said while typing things on her computer.

“You know why I moved out in the first place”, Taeyeon said lowering her gaze.

Seohyun stopped typing and looked at her.

“They don’t need to know, unnie. Just some days, why don’t you try?” the younger girl said with sympathy in her eyes.

“I need them… but I can’t, even if I actually wanted to go back, I can’t”, Taeyeon stared at the ceiling thinking of someone.

Seohyun asked curiously, “why?”

 

“I have a roommate now… her name is Tiffany and since I know what you’re thinking, Seohyun, no, she is not my girlfriend”, Taeyeon tried to make a joke before starting to tell her what’s going on.

Taeyeon almost wanted to see Seohyun play one of those dramatic songs she sometimes plays on the piano.  

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Tiffany sat on the couch and stared at the ceiling, her mind blank. She sighed while her eyes roamed Taeyeon’s house and now according to Taeyeon ‘her new home’. Only for 9 months though or 8 and few days more.

 Her pregnancy is 2 weeks and half old and Tiffany still couldn’t believe there is life beyond her belly. Is this what she wanted? Of course not. At least not in this way, with the father of her child dead, with no money to raise someone so weak, with a baby that wasn't made out of real love.

She dreamt of having kids even if she didn’t know how to handle them, even if she was kind of awkward with them. She dreamt of many things, none of them happened.

Tiffany stood up from the couch and stared out of the window close to it. She felt so miserable.

As she touched the curtains and looked at the people on the streets, Tiffany thought of Taeyeon. The girl who looked as sad as h- no, she looked sadder. Her brother died and Tiffany knew the feeling of losing a family member. The girl who probably saw in her belly the only chance to have her brother close, like he was here.

When Tiffany didn’t get her period, she did the test hoping for the best and when she found out she was expecting a baby, she thought it was the worst mistake in her whole life. She cried so much that afternoon.  Tiffany closed her eyes as she recalled Jiwoong’s attitude days before that when she told him there was a problem. And now she knew why he got drunk the day of the accident and why he didn’t pick her call. Jiwoong wasn’t what she thought of him.

But she wasn’t angry anymore. She just missed him and their long talks. She was disappointed in herself because she promised him she was going to help him through his problems and she couldn’t.

She thought she had reached the bottom of her life and she would never get her out of that hole. But then she met Taeyeon and saw her tired sad eyes, shared tears with her, and saw her kindness.  Now, as she touched her belly with the hand that wasn’t on the curtains, she thought that maybe this was her chance to change her life… that maybe this was a ray of hope in the dark days.

This is not what she wanted but if things were meant to be like this, she is going to trust God and do things right. She was going to be a good mother.

“Fighting, Tiffany!” she said to herself between tears.

 

 

“Are you ok?” Tiffany was startled by the words and jumped a little. She turned to her left and Taeyeon was there.

“Oh sorry, did I scare you? You were in deep thoughts and umm I didn’t want to interrupt you but I saw you crying and… ah” Taeyeon said nervously.

Tiffany chuckled a little; she thought it was kind of cute.

She wiped her tears, “I’m fine, sorry… just a little emotional, nothing to worry about”

Taeyeon sighed, “Don’t apologize”.

It sounded like she was reprimanding her but then she showed her a grin and Tiffany smiled at her. It felt like this was her way to make the room lighter even if it really was something that might annoy her a little.

“Oh, Kim Taeyeon, you might get used to me being like this since we are going to be living together for a while”, she was trying to sound serious but Taeyeon’s smile made her smile too.

Taeyeon shook her head jokingly and stared at her.

“Well miss, since I can’t change your mind let’s just eat this”, she showed her a bag of Mc Donalds, “I’m sure we agree on this, right?”

 

Tiffany was glad that Jiwoong had Taeyeon as his sister.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon was sitting on the couch, chewing on her food with Tiffany eating beside her. They were silent, both lost in their thoughts. The TV was on but Taeyeon didn’t pay attention to it. She was thinking of her parents. Should she call them? Should she wait for them to call? She didn’t know what to do.

She felt a hand on the arm that was bringing fries to and turned to Tiffany.

“Umm, I’ve been wanting to ask you something since last night…” Tiffany said and Taeyeon watched her curiously.

“Yes?” Taeyeon said after munching her fries.

“I didn’t meant to eavesdrop but I heard you screaming on the phone, you were talking to your parents… if it was because of me-“

“No, it’s ok” Taeyeon said taking a sip of her drink.

She sighed.

“It wasn’t about you. They still don’t know you’re here…” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany and the girl with darker hair furrowed her eyebrows.

“You know I did tell them that I was going to ask you to live with me. They weren’t ok with it… so I thought I should wait a little more before telling them you’re already here, are you ok with that?”

“No”

Come on.

“Tiffany…” Taeyeon sighed. She has been sighing a lot nowadays.

“I want to tell them myself, I want to talk with them”, Tiffany looked pretty determined, but she knew that would be a problem.

She didn’t want to fight with Tiffany. She grabbed two fries and put a lot hot sauce on it as she tried to say something that would make Tiffany understand that her parents probably didn’t want to see her at all, at least now.

“Tiffany, now isn’t the best moment”, she stared at her trying to convey her worries, but Tiffany didn’t want to understand.

“I don’t want to live with you if they don’t know, I don’t want them to think badly of me… Taeyeon I need to meet them” she looked pretty serious.

Taeyeon couldn’t change her mind.

Ugh.

Taeyeon felt a little annoyed so she just munched on the fries that were in her fingers a minute ago. She widened her eyes. Oh god. her tongue was burning!

“Ohr gwddd!”, Taeyeon grabbed her drink and drank all of it fast. She was sweating and breathing hard.

“Oh my god, are you fine?” Tffany looked at her worriedly, Taeyeon noticed how she stared at her lips and it made her blush. Since she was red already, Tiffany wouldn’t notice.

Tiffany made a weird noise, like she was containing herself.

She wanted to laugh.

Taeyeon pouted, “Oh god, just laugh”.

And Tiffany laughed, she laughed and said between her laughs things like ‘oh your lips… the way you drank” and also apologized, Taeyeon was amused by the way she was laughing and then she saw something beautiful.

Tiffany’s eyesmile.

She was surprised. It was so beautiful.

Tiffany calmed herself down and said sorry like three times but Taeyeon didn’t pay attention to it. She just stared at her.

“Is… everything fine?” Tiffany said a little worried.

Taeyeon closed her eyes for a moment and smiled at her after she opened them, “Yes… I’m just glad I saw you laughing like that”

Tiffany seemed taken aback and shyly said thanks to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon just stared at her. Eating those fries might have been the best thing she did in the whole day.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The next day, after work, Taeyeon picked up Tiffany at her apartment and drove with her to her parents’ house. She called them and said she was coming but didn’t say she was coming with Tiffany, her mother wouldn’t agree.

 Now they were in front of the house.

 

She turned to Tiffany and said, “Are you ready?”

“Of course, Taeyeon”, Tiffany nodded her head.

Taeyeon wasn’t though. She knew her parents could be very offensive if they thought they were right about something. That was a thing she didn’t like about them.

She took a deep breath and rang the bell.

 

 

Someone opened the door, “Darling, I’m glad you-“, it was her mother. She didn’t finish what she was saying after seeing the girl beside Taeyeon.

“What?” she said.

“Uh, mom hi, this is Tiffany”, Taeyeon touched Tiffany’s shoulder while she said that.

Tiffany bowed to her mother and greeted her, “Good afternoon, Mrs. Kim, I’m-“

“So you came here only to bring her, right?” Taeyeon’s mother said as she cut Tiffany’s word.

Taeyeon saw how Tiffany lowered her gaze awkwardly.

Taeyeon stared at her mom, she didn’t understand why she was acting like this.

 “Mom… she is- was Jiwoong’s girlfriend”, Taeyeon said even though her mother already knew that. They met each other at the hospital anyway.

Her mom just stared at her without saying anything. She moved from the door and let them in.

Her dad was on the old red armchair, smoking like always. He got up with a smile when he saw Taeyeon and hugged her. Taeyeon hugged him back. She was happy to see her parents, she just wished her mother was a little more like her dad and just hugged her when she saw her instead of getting angry at seeing Tiffany.

Taeyeon broke the hug and touched Tiffany’s arm.

“Dad, this is Tiffany, she was Jiwoong’s girlfriend”

Tiffany bowed just like she did to her mother and greeted him. Her dad seemed unsure but he greeted her with a smile.

“We meet again”

 

 

 

They all sat down. Taeyeon was beside Tiffany. The silence was a little awkward; she talked with her dad about her job for a while and he asked about Seohyun. Her parents met her a few times. But everything felt absurd since they all knew why both of them were here. She needs to end this fast, the room was feeling heavier and heavier.

“Mom, dad… we have come here for reason” Taeyeon finally said.

Tiffany looked at her and she seemed pretty nervous, Taeyeon smiled assuredly.

“I- I want to tell you something, Mr. and Mrs. Kim” Tiffany said.

Taeyeon saw how she was breathing fast. She felt really bad, this shouldn’t be this hard. Why were her parents treating Tiffany like she was a problem?

“You-You already know I’m pregnant and Jiwoong is the- or was the father” she stared at the ground.

Her mom scoffed and Taeyeon frowned.

“You will definitely prove that”, she said.

Ugh. Taeyeon was annoyed.

“I will! I will, I understand why you are like this, Mrs-“

“Do you, really?” her mother again cut Tiffany’s words. Taeyeon wanted to say something but she knew Tiffany wouldn’t want that.

Tiffany seemed confused.

“Jiwoong never talked about you and from what Taeyeon said you were dating for 5, 6 months”

Taeyeon clenched her fists, she was getting more annoyed.

“I know, Mrs.” Tiffany said lowering her gaze.

“My son was never like this. He always said who he was seeing and he looked fine. He wasn’t drinking anymore”

Tiffany stared at her mother, frowning. Maybe she didn’t understand what her mother wanted to say, but Taeyeon surely knew and she was going to stop her.

“Mom” Taeyeon said sternly.

Her mother didn’t pay attention to her and continued, “I don’t think you were good influence to him”

“Mom! Jiwoong had problems with alcoholism. He always had. That doesn’t have anything to do with Tiffany”, Taeyeon was trying hard to not raise her voice. Why was her mother acting like this? Why was her dad so quiet?

“Oh, please, Taeyeon! Your brother was fine! Then he dies and the only different thing in his life that we noticed was the person beside you!” her mother stood up and raised her voice, Tiffany also stood up and Taeyeon followed along.

“Mrs. Why are you saying it was my fault? I always tried to help him with his problems and yes he was better. But when he found out I could be pregnant he started drinking again!” Tiffany was already tearing up.

“You should have been more careful then! He was still young, he didn’t want a kid with some girl he met and probably felt embarrassed to introduce to his parents!”

“Mom!”, Taeyeon raised her voice. It was enough. She stared at her dad and was really disappointed in his lack of reaction. It’s like he was dead, just staring at them.

Tiffany lowered her head and Taeyeon noticed some tears running down her pretty face. Why would her mother try to destroy her spirit this way?

“The kid Tiffany’s going to have is your grandchild, stop this! Why are you like this, mom?!” Taeyeon stood in front of Tiffany, acting like she was a shield.

“Because I’m sad, Taeyeon! Because I cry everyday, I just want to mourn for your brother in peace, I can’t deal with a grandchild of a son I don’t have anymore.” Her mother was crying in front of her and that hurt a lot.

“And I have the right to think your brother didn’t want this and that girl just thought this was a good opportunity to use him,  there are a lot of girls like that, Taeyeon” she said seriously and that made Taeyeon’s blood boil.

“MOM!”

“I’m going, I’m sorry, Taeyeon”, Taeyeon saw Tiffany taking her purse and reach to the door.

“Please, Tiffany!” Taeyeon grabbed her arm.

“I should move out”, Taeyeon grabbed both of her arms and pleading, said: “No, Tiffany, you know I’m different. Please let me help”, she didn’t have anywhere to go, since her old apartment was rented.

Taeyeon gave Tiffany her car keys, “Please wait for me in the car, I’ll be there in a minute”. Tiffany just nodded and closed the door, running out of the place.

“Is she living with you, Taeyeon? What’s your problem!”

Taeyeon couldn’t hold it anymore, “What’s YOUR problem?” she pointed her finger at her, more than disappointed.

“It doesn’t matter anymore if Jiwoong didn’t want this, mom! It was his mistake too, not only Tiffany’s if that’s the case! There’s a creature inside of her. Life created by both, Jiwoong and her!” Taeyeon exhaled, “Why don’t you understand?”

She lowered her voice, “I knew you didn’t like this at all mom, but I really thought you were different…” Taeyeon felt tears running through her face. She wiped them and said her last words.

“This is miracle to me and I don’t even believe in God… I’m going to treasure it and I’m sure, I’m sure that even if it was a mistake, Jiwoong would want me to help Tiffany with this, because he was a good guy”

She took her things and turned to her dad. He stared at her for a while and said, “You’re… a really good kid, Taeyeon”, she felt one more tear fall as she reached the door.

“This isn’t just about Jiwoong and the kid, right?” her defeated mother said.

 

Of course not. She opened the door and left the house.

She stepped on something outside and when she looked at it she saw her car keys. She grabbed them and rushed to her car but Tiffany wasn’t in sight.

She sighed and leaned her head on the vehicle.

“Im so so sorry, Tiffany. I really am” she said to herself.

 

-------

 

A/N: Thanks to all the suscribers and the people who comment, I'm really glad you guys are liking this. Hey silent readers, don't be shy? Haha. I want to say that I was really surprised when I saw a comment of one of my favorite Taeny fanfic writers ;A; I love your fics, Road Trip and others, I love them!

Anyway, I hope I won't dissapoint assfsd. See you next week with another chapter.