Enemies & Friends

The Secret Admirer

 

Krystal gave one last glance at Kai's car. They just stepped out in front of a really tall, expensive looking building made of glass. Seeing it from afar, Krystal guessed it might be a company building. But then again, it didn’t quite look like it either. She had no idea why they are here. She tried to get some information in the car, but all her questions and threats deemed futile. Kai just drove quietly with a slightly smiling face, probably enjoying Krystal’s attempts, even when she started hitting him lightly. He chuckled once and told her it’s connected to her new job as a model. Right now she just hoped he was trust worthy enough to go with him to an unknown place.

“When we get there, don’t tell anyone that you’re a newbie in this biz. Unless you want too much attention,” Kai instructed her while getting inside. Krystal was too amazed by spacious extravagant halls to actually get an image of what he was talking about. She probably didn’t even hear him; nevertheless, she still nodded. They stepped into an elevator and Kai pushed a button with 34 written on it. Since it was quiet here, Kai decided to break the ice.

“Aren’t you going to ask me where are we?”

“Hah!” she turned to face him with a disbelieving look. “There’s no point in that. I’m too tired to interrogate you when we’re already here. I’ll just see for myself.” He put his arm around Krystal’s shoulder and winked at her. She took his hand off of her and crossed her arms. If Jinri got to know who she’s with right now, things would become troublesome. Not that Kai near her was big trouble itself. Elevator opened, letting the two youngsters out.

“Holly . Where have you taken me?!” Krystal almost face palmed herself for trusting him. He had taken her to a big party! Not like a fun, full of friendly chats and dances party, but the kind where all that is important is getting as drunk as you can, maybe try some new drugs and find a lonesome person for the night. It was her first time in this kind of gathering, and she sure didn’t felt excited about it.

“Have fun, maybe see you later,” and with that Kai was gone. There was Krystal, standing in front of an elevator, inside a huge apartment with minimum lights, creating a more adult-like atmosphere. She shuddered. While she was standing here all alone and looking around, she saw some boys playing poker, girls with really revealing clothes and heavy makeup flirting with others, Krystal also noticed two boys from afar looking at her and talking about something. After holding an eye contact with the taller one for at least ten minutes, he started walking towards her. She panicked; she had no intention of interacting with drunk males right now. So, she quickly disappeared from the boy’s sight, into the crowd. Since it was a huge house-like apartment, may she call it as a mansion, she struggled to find a quiet place to be alone until she decides what to do now. She definitely had to call someone to pick her up. But who? Maybe she should ask her parents for Luhan’s number?

After finally finding the couch, she checked her phone. She wanted to call her mother, but knew she would be worried hearing so many voices in the background. Krystal wrote a message instead, waiting patiently for a response. Sadly, there was none. For the next hour, Krystal just sat alone awkwardly on the couch, playing games on her phone.

“Found you. Why did you run of?” Krystal then looked up from the game she was playing, only to lock eyes with a dangerously handsome boy she saw before. He was a bit tanned and tall, his brown hair perfectly combed and sprayed with gel. When he smiled, she remembered that she has seen him before.

“You’re Lay! I saw you yesterday on a cosmopolitan! You looked absolutely gorgeous by the way,” Krystal couldn’t help her inner fan girl and smiled widely, showing him her white teeth. Hanging out with Jinri helped her to recognize famous models, sometimes even to become their fan. One of her well-liked model was Lay, the young man that was standing in front of her. She couldn’t believe it. Somebody has to pinch her!

“I’m glad you liked it. Worked for almost two hours straight, actually. So, I never saw you before. What agency are you working for?”

“What do you mean?” She got up to face him full on. She tried not to sound puzzled, but failed miserably. He started laughing.

“Your modeling agency, of course. Are you new, perhaps?”

“I just signed the contract at SM today, so I’m pretty new with all of this.”

“You got lucky to be invited here so soon. Usually only professional models can come in.” It all downed on Krystal now; it was a privileged party only for models. “How did you manage?”

“Kai. But you probably don’t know him.”

“I heard of him. Are you with him?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, are you taken for tonight?” ‘Oh,’ was all Krystal could think of in this moment. As much as she likes being recognized by a super famous cover model, it still was wrong on so many levels. He was probably a bit drunk, so it was only for the best to drop conversation and find a way to leave this party somehow. Since Krystal didn’t respond, he understood her thoughts and signed.

“It must be your first time at a party like this. It’s not taboo to talk about things like these. Why did Kai bring you here?”

“I honestly have no idea.” Krystal felt relieved; it seems as Lay knows how she felt in this situation and he shouldn’t try anything funny. He chuckled once again, his dimples appearing.

“So you just agreed and went along? I heard he’s a big playboy; thought if you’re acquaintanced you should know that.”

“He gave me a lift after a tiring photo shoot. Only he headed here instead of bringing me home like I expected him to.”

“Want me to take you home? I was getting tired of this already.”

Krystal didn’t know what to feel about his proposal. He didn’t look like a dangerous type, he also explained her a bit about this place. Also, she didn’t really have a choice, so she might as well go along with it.

“Sure. Thanks.”

Both of them then walked out of the party together, not even suspecting that Kai was watching their interaction the whole time. Kai was leaning against a wall and smirking to himself. He expected Krystal to be different, but it’s better this way. It’ll make his plan all easier.

 

*

 

The next morning Krystal woke up with a headache. It took her a whole hour to fully wake up. When she started making breakfast, at around nine in the morning, someone knocked on the door. Without having a chance to open them, Kai walked in. She almost chocked on a sandwich she was eating. The least she expected coming over was him. Seeing him two days in a row? Maybe her luck was really running low.

“Get out,” was all she could think of. She tried pushing him out, but he was too strong to do that.

“Are you always so good with visitors?” he closed the doors behind him and walked past Krystal to the kitchen. He saw a hot cup of coffee and took it. Krystal was almost amazed with his attitude. He wasn’t even invited here, and look at him now- so laid back without a care of the world, eating her breakfast. She really needed to punch him so badly she had to hold something to keep her hands busy. She took apple juice carton and started drinking it, still keeping her eyes on Kai, who has now settled on her chair, still drinking her coffee. When she couldn’t take the uncomfortable silence anymore, she sat on other chair across him, clearly waiting for him to start. However, he didn’t.

“Okay, cut the crap. Why are you here?” Krystal wasn’t too keen of talking to him, but since he’s here, she had to ask him.

“Friendly as ever. Why, are friends not allowed to hang out?” Kai was clearly enjoying himself. Too much for Krystal’s likeness.

“What made you think we’re friends?” with that she quickly grabbed the apple Kai was looking at. He then looked at her with the most charming smile she had witnessed.

“I helped you to hook up with that model yesterday; if not for me, you wouldn’t have a chance to go to that party either.”

“Actually, it’s your fault I got home so late. I didn’t go there because I wanted to; YOU dragged me there. I shouldn’t have trusted you.”

“Now now, don’t be like that. Lay was a big catch you know. By the way, did he just left? It’s still a bit early.”

“He left yesterday, right after he drove me home. And how did you know about him?”

“I saw everything. But are you telling the truth?” Kai smiled deviously and tapped his fingers on his cheek. “I know you’re a good girl and all, but since you were fangirling so much, I guessed my plan has succeeded.”

“What plan?” Krystal got up and glared at him like her life depended on killing Kai. She was frustrated beyond words.

“Oh did you actually think that me being friendly, giving you a lift and maybe even hooking you up with one of the most wanted guys was just a friendly deed? Certainly not.” Krystal couldn’t take his cocky attitude anymore. She angrily took him by his collar and almost slapped him; he was fast enough to grab her hand right in front of his left cheek. To her surprise, he didn’t look angry by her actions; he even dared to smirk.

“Taemin oppa told me to stay away from you. He was so right.”

“Oppa? Are you two really dating?” Kai was now glaring at Krystal. She hen released his shirt and chuckled.

“Is that what you care about?” She straightened her mini skirt and crossed her arms on her chest. “Is your ‘plan’ connected with me being friends with your brother?”

“He’s not my brother.” Kai got up too, grabbing Krystal’s hands angrily. “At least I don’t accept him as one. And if you really want to be his girl, I’ll make your and his lives a living nightmare. I’ll steal you away.”

With that, Krystal didn’t know how to respond. Why was it so hard to be Taemin’s friend? Seeing Krystal out of her mind, Kai let go of her hands and pushed his face nearer Krystal’s. Their faces were just inches apart when she finally realized what was truly happening. She slapped him. Hard.

“I’m not your brother’s girlfriend. How did I even get in this mess? I barely know anything about Taemin. But witnessing your sick hatred for him, I want to understand why you two are like this. Now I definitely won’t back down. I’ll show you that you can’t play with either of us.” Krystal pushed Kai and pointed to the doors. He got the message and went towards the doors, giving a one last glance at her.

“If you don’t want any troubles, then stay away from my brother.”

“Not a chance. And where’s he?” Kai’s expression immediately changed from sour to almost happy.

“You’re such good friends that you don’t even know about him… Maybe HE doesn’t want to know you.” Now, again, he was just too much for her to handle.

“Get out and never come here again!” With that Kai left. It really wasn’t a pleasant meeting. She needed to talk to someone, to tell what’s on her mind… Jinri isn’t here… She’s still quite stiff around Luhan…

 

*

 

Krystal almost ran to her bedroom, took her letters box and read the latest letter again. She lately has been chatting with her pen-pal a lot; she started to like and trust him a bit too. From his letters she knew now that he’s going to the Seoul University too, that he likes art and sports. He also wrote to her that he met her accidentally a lot of time ago. To Krystal he started to seem as a normal, quite romantic young adult, similar to her. For the last week they talked about relationships a lot, she even wrote to him about her new goal and how she feels about it.

Now that Krystal remembers, she’s supposed to receive his new letter today. She quickly changed her clothes and went to the cafe. Noticing that there’s really small amount of people there, not like usually, she asked the waitress what’s going on. Krystal then was told that the café was bought by someone and that the whole café store is being changed; it will close up soon for renovation. Then realization hit Krystal; how will she chat with her secret pen-pal for the mean time?

“I see. That’s a bit sad. Also, did Mr. F leave his new letter?”

“Ah, yes, sorry, totally forgot about it with so much going on.” The waitress then took an envelope from her pocket and handed it to Krystal. “Here you go. Oh, and he also knows about the café’s changes.” Waitress was about to go to the kitchen when Krystal suddenly grabbed her arm. She was just curious.

“Please tell me, what does he look like?” The waitress started giggling.

“So you really haven’t seen him? Well, he’s gorgeous for sure. You know he told me not to say anything to you.”

“Are you good friends?”

“No, we’re not. He’s regular client here. Now that I think about it, you met him before. At least he told me that. I don’t know much about your relationship, but I can see it’s a cute one, not knowing how the other person looks like and still being friends with him. That’s what I call a true and deep friendship.”

“Yeah, it’s nice having a true friend. Has he told you anything about what to do when the shop closes?”

“No, he didn’t mention anything.”

“Ah, I see. When’s the day the café closes?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Then I have to order something today, for good memories.”

Krystal ordered cold coffee and went to her favorite table. She sat there quietly, reading the letter.

‘…And so it feels as if you don’t really want to talk about your true feeling with your best friend, Jinri. I believe that if you call each other good friends, you should talk to her. Nevertheless, I’m happy you’re talking to me, at least. I think you really need someone to talk to and that’s why I’m here. So…’

Krystal read the letter two times before retrieving a blank paper from her bag. She took out her pen.

‘…And about Jinri, I think you’re right. I should talk to her, but it’s just not the same as before. In high school we used to be inseparable, but now we can hardly meet or talk about anything other than music or fashion industries. I hope that we can go back to the way we were before. I think me getting in her modeling agency will help us meet more. Oh yeah, I didn’t mention it to you yet. Yesterday I was fooled by Jinri and went to modeling audition. I signed up the contract immediately. Also, there I met that bastard that I mentioned to you- Kai. Apparently he’s working there too. After the photo shoot, I had no chance but to get him drive me home. Instead, he drove me to alcohol-heavy party. I was told there that those parties are only for people from entertainment. Yesterday there were only models. So yeah, that Kai left me there alone. Nevertheless, I still got home safely. Today he dared to show up and talk bull about my relationship with Taemin oppa. I told you that they’re brothers, right? Well, Kai told me that I’ll get in trouble for being friends with his older brother. That bastard. Of course, I won’t listen to Kai’s threats. But Taemin still doesn’t respond to my texts. Does he really don’t want to be friends, just like Kai has told me? Either way…’

Words flowed freely; Krystal was too immersed by the writing that she didn’t notice that somebody has sat on her table. After she wrote the last words, she let out a deep breath, smiled and finally looked up. She was startled; Luhan was here, drinking banana milkshake.

“Finally back to the real world. What were you writing?” He flashed her one of his trait smiles, his eyes full of interested as he looked at the paper. Krystal grabbed the paper and put it in her bag.

“Nothing important. What are you doing here?”

“Drinking a milkshake. You want some too?” He then pushed his straw to her, with she gladly accepted. She gulped some of his drink and smiled tenderly. Luhan chuckled and took the straw away from her. To him it looked like Krystal liked the drink so much that she might drink it all. He might as well buy her another.

“You do understand that it was an indirect kiss, yeah?” Krystal rolled her eyes; he has already stolen a kiss from her. She quickly brushed off the memory and motioned the waitress to come. She and Luhan ordered another glass of milkshake.

“To answer your question, I’m here for my job.”

“I thought you’re working as a CEO for your family’s company.”

“I should be, but I got in a fight with my parents. Now they gave the job to my cousin, Sehun, temporally.

“Why did you fight? I always remember your family to be really close.”

“We are close. It’s just that they want to leave the whole business to me. I know how much my sister want to become a CEO. I also have my dreams. I have no intention of taking after them.”

“And what’s your dream?” Krystal was curious. She never heard anything about his dream when they were little. Luhan gave her a sheepish smile.

“I’m trying to achieve it right now. Even if my parents disagree, I want to start my own business. I don’t really know what kind of business, but I’m thinking about Music Company. I always loved to sing and dance. Maybe helping others to become stars would be a nice job.”

“Why don’t you try becoming one yourself?” Krystal never heard him sing nor has seen him dance, but she was sure that if he gives it his all, he should be good.

“I don’t know, really. My parents would be angry beyond words if I became famous; I definitely wouldn’t take their business then. And also I don’t know whether it’s a good idea to try now. I already finished university and I my age doesn’t fit the one for trainee.”

“Still, you have to try. You might be so talented that you wouldn’t have to train for years.” Luhan opened his mouth to retort, so Krystal was sure he didn’t believe much in his abilities. Nevertheless, she decided to drop the subject. “Anyways… what are you doing now then?” Luhan grinned.

“Hoped you would ask about that. I’ll try running a café.”

“Really?! That’s a big job. Where are you opening a café?”

“Right here.” Krystal seemed confused, so he explained. “I bought this café and I’ll redo it. I guess you might have heard about it closing for a mean time. I heard you’re a regular here.”

“Yes, Seoul University is close to this place. I come here with my friend almost every day. But wow, Luhan. Do your parents accept it?”

“They don’t know yet. I bought it with my own money. I’ll tell them about it when the business goes really well. I want them to see that I can accomplish whatever goal I have.”

“That’s good, Lu. I believe the café would run as good as it never has before.” Krystal showed him her brilliant smile and stood up. “I better get going now; I want to call my friend.”

“Is your friend a he or she?” Luhan questioned, also getting up. Krystal crossed her arms and winked at him.

“Why, are you interested?” Luhan chuckled at that but didn’t say anything. Krystal dropped her arms and frowned. He was no fun. “She’s my best friend.”

“Okay, go now; it’s bad to keep friends waiting. How about you come over this evening if you’re not busy?” Luhan suggested and Krystal agreed. She then bid her goodbyes, went to the counter and paid for her drinks; she also handed her written letter to the waitress. Luhan saw the exchange and smiled. Krystal has a friend to write to.

 

*

 

When finally at home, Krystal once again thought why she was so keen to be friends with Taemin. Did she already have a crush on him? Now that she thinks about it, she never felt like this before. She had a lot of relationships, but never truly loved or even liked someone. But Taemin… she’s really sad he’s ignoring her after their date. Wait, was that even a date? He said he wanted to be friends… But he didn’t put much effort into it. She’s angry at him. Maybe she really likes him after all..?

 

*

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hello, reader! That's if there are any. *sign* Really guys, if there's no one reading this, I might as well delete it and write it only for myself. I was really happy that this story has 10 subscribers (woohoo, 10!) and some comments, but it's sad how I'm updating and there's no new comments. It looks like nobody reads it. If you really don't like this story, then unsubscribe, I won't be mad; it will just show me how many of you are actually interested in it.

So anyways, after I wrote my feelings, let's talk a bit about this chapter.

Basically, that's the moment when Kai and Krystal start their hate realtionship. They're kind of enemies now, provided that Kai wants to separate her from Taemin (obviously having no idea they're not friends even) and Krystal wanting to fight for her choices of friends, in this situation, for Taemin. Krystal wonders if they're friends already, seeing each other only two times. She even thinks that she might hold a crush on Taemin already. As I mentioned before, she's quick to assume things. I don't know whether to tell you if her feeling are true or not right now.

As for Luhan, Krystal will see him a lot more than before. I have three questions for the readers (again, if there are any...):

1) where the hell is Taemin and why he's not responding to Krystal's messages?

2) what did Luhan mean by ' Krystal has a friend to write to'? do you think he knows something?

3) your thoughts on who's Krystal's secret admirer;

btw, Mr. F stands for Friend, not for some name. If you have any suggestions for anon name, write it to me in the comments!