The Big Reveal

The Secret Admirer

 

Giddy inside, Krystal almost skipped in her walk. Twirling loose hair strands around her index finger, smile never decreasing, cheeks faintly blushed, the girl’s Thursday morning begun just awesome.

“Hey,” the blonde greeted her boyfriend through the phone.

“Where are you right now? I’m on my way to the SNU.”

Strolling through the streets Krystal went on by her routine. “I’m almost at LuLu’s café. Do you want me to pick something up for you while I’m there?”

There was a slight pause before Kai responded. “Why do you call him that?”

“Well, it’s an affectionate nickname me and my sister came up with when we were still kids. Why?”

Opening the café’s doors with her free hand, she avoided the counter and went to sit down by one of couple’s table.

“I just am not that keen on you calling him that. Though it sounds kind of ridiculous.”

Krystal snickered at the remark. Noticing Kyungsoo eyeing her joyful self from the other side of the café, she reminded of her earlier question. “So, do you want anything from the café? I just sat down by one of the tables.”

“No need for that, I’ll order it myself,” as she was about to ask him what he meant by that, she saw a familiar white sports car park right across the street and watched as a handsome tall guy with perfectly styled hair got out of it.

Kyungsoo was about to make his way to the female as Kai entered the café. The waiter watched as the girl was totally mesmerized by the male’s entrance, though the same could be said about Kai’s happy expression once noticing the girl. Nevertheless, Kyungsoo walked up to the table where the two now were sitting.

“Good morning, Krystal, you’re with a friend today,” he smiled at the pair nonchalantly, like any waiter would.

“Hello, Kyungsoo, this is Kai,” she gestured at the dark haired man in front of her.

“Her boyfriend,” the latter added with no care in his tone, just as an introduction.

The waiter, however, didn’t show any surprise whatsoever . “Nice to meet you, Kai. What could I get you two?”

Krystal was a usual customer here- she came her every morning, actually. “Chocolate Frappuccino.”

“Latte with caramel syrup for me,” Kai requested.

“Got it, anything else?”

“No, thanks,” Krystal smiled at the waiter and he went on his way.

“So,” the blonde grinned at the young man with nonchalant gaze in his eyes, “Do you have any lectures at the campus today?”

“Naturally,” Kai grinned; he had something in mind. “Just like you do. But we’re skipping today.”

Krystal leaned forward, interested in this change of her routine. She rarely skipped lessons, well, at least, until she met Kai. “So what do you have in mind this time?”

“Since our last meet up didn’t go so well,” the girl gulped at the memory of getting an insight of her boyfriend’s family drama, “I wanted to make up for it.”

“So what have you came up with for our first official date?”

Kai chuckled at the choice of words. “To tell you the truth, I never took this dating thing seriously. All of my previous dates were either at the club or with my friends.”

Krystal lightened up at the mention. “I haven’t met any of your friends yet, by the way.”

“I don’t think you meeting them would be a good idea,” Kai looked worriedly at the girl’s gleaming eyes. Taking her hands into his hold, he said “It would be for the best if they didn’t know about any of this.”

“Any of ‘this’? We are dating, Jongin, why do you want to keep your friends in the dark about this?”

“The people I hang out couldn’t really be called as friends. Those people are deep in some awful stuff that I don’t want you to see.”

“Kai,” Krystal leaned in even more, “These friends of yours know you better than anyone else. I really don’t see how bad it could go. Just talk to them for me, alright?”

The boy wasn’t that keen on the idea of his new girlfriend meeting up with his ‘friends’. Just before he could say anything else, Kyungsoo came back with their order. Placing it on the table, the waiter took his time, so the couple’s topic was already forgotten by the time Kyungsoo was done.

“I was thinking we could go watch a movie today,” Kai introduced his idea.

“That’s so unlike you,” Krystal chuckled.

Sure, Kai may have looked for first date ideas on the internet, but that shouldn’t have been that obvious, or was it?

“However,” Krystal continued, “I would like that very much.”

“Let’s just avoid sappy romance dramas,” Kai grinned as if accusing Krystal of watching such movies.

“That’s fine with me,” she sipped her cold coffee.

 

*

 

“If I didn’t know you well enough, I might even say you don’t look surprised.”

There it was; a time all of Luhan’s friends hanged up on him.

“Well, it was natural for such a pretty girl to find a boyfriend, while this dude here kept quiet about his feelings for her,” Kris added more fuel to the fire.

Luhan grunted loudly, looking for a way out of this situation.

“Luhan knew about this Kai guy,” a new voice surprised the group; Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Kris took this short break to announce that Krystal is in a relationship to their friend Luhan.

“Oh, Sehun, what are you doing here?” Chanyeol smiled at the newest addition to the gang.

Sehun shrugged. “Was bored. Decided you might need some help at the shop. Oh and Luhan knew Kai, he told me himself.”

“How come you didn’t tell us about him, your best pals?” Chanyeol glared at the oldest guy, finally returning his attention to the man in question.

“I knew, too,” Kris interrupted.

“They weren’t dating then,” Luhan signed, “And it is none of your business. Neither is it mine.”

Kris smacked his boss’ head in one swift motion, to the latter’s surprise. “If you let your girl go that easily, you’re a .” As others nodded in agreement, he continued, “Just few weeks ago you would have done anything to keep her away from this dude you thought was bad for her.”

Kyungsoo wondered if this Kai was indeed bad for Krystal. As he inspected the pair earlier, both of them looked pretty much in love.

“Guys,” the shortest friend tried to grab attention, “I understand you feel bad for Luhan, but just keep in mind that it was his own choice to keep quiet. Krystal is already in a relationship, so I think it would be a really bad idea to push Luhan into confessing right now. If Kai is by any means not a good boyfriend for her, it won’t take long for her to break it off.”

“I’m fine, really, I knew this was coming. There was no point for me to say anything when she had already been in love with Kai by the time I realized it. So just get back to work, customers must be noticing there’s no staff around.”

 

 

*

 

The apartment looked cleaner than ever, Taemin noted, as his furniture-less flat was big and empty, only one huge mattress lying on the ground. After all the cleaning work he and Jinri had done today, he looked over at the said girl lying beside him on the same mattress, wondering how he could thank her for the help.

“I should buy you dinner,” he muttered. The upbeat music filled the almost empty apartment, leaving his quiet suggestion to disappear into the air. He was thinking about repeating the sentence once more after the girl didn’t respond, but before he could do so, she shushed him with his deep stare.

“Lee Taemin, are you asking me out on a date?” the young man didn’t know whether to laugh or not, since the girl looked dead serious about the matter.

However, he chuckled once the girl continued, “Let me remind you that you were the one to miss out on any chance we had.”

“Point taken. But what I meant was going out as friends, as a thank you for your help.”

Jinri looked over at her phone. It was nowhere the time to have dinner.

“I’m hungry. But it’s not really dinner time yet.”

“Take out?”

“Chinese, you got it,” she snickered and proceeded to surf the net on her phone to look at the available meniu. Once the order was done, the apartment fell into silence, since the music was turned off.

“Care to enlighten me about your family matters?”

Taemin seemed confused, “About what exactly?”

“You’re leaving because of your family, right?” Jinri pursued the topic.

“You make me sound like some crybaby,” Taemin tried to lighten up the mood. “Why are you interested?”

“Well, you know how I felt about you, and since we’re really friends now, I hoped to get to know the real you. Since family is what forms the person, I thought you could tell me about your family.”

The brown haired man rested his head on Jinri’s stomach. “Alright. I might as well tell someone about all the that happened with Kim family. So what exactly do you want to know?”

“Well, I know that you and Kai are half-brothers, but I also know you have no normal sibling relationship. And how come nobody else really knows that you’re both brothers?”

Taemin chuckled bitterly; it was difficult to open up to somebody for the first time in forever, but he had nothing to lose. He needed someone to listen to what he had been through.

“So I should start from way before I was even born, then.”

“Our father, Kim Jongdae, was already married when he met my mother. She was his secretary, when their affair begun. A typical story, if you ask me. Though nobody knew about it, not even suspected, since she was in a relationship herself for a while, after my birth they had to be extra careful. So they decided it would be better if she quit the job and lived somewhere nearby the Kim’s mansion. My father came to visit me quite often, but then his wife gave him another son, a successor to his business. Of course, my mother wasn’t that happy with living in the shadows, furthermore, to grow a child all by herself. But it wasn’t my mother’s intention for the wife to know about the affair and my birth.”

“On one of the occasional visits from my father, Kai’s mother sent a worker to investigate where her husband would go to. To say the least, her instincts were right and when she found out, she fell terribly sick. By then I was around twelve and Kai had just turned eleven. The worst part is that way before she finally found out, me and Kai were already best of friends. Once Kai was attending the kindergarten, the two of us were introduced to each other by our father and my mother. Of course I was too little to understand why, but I was instructed to act as if he wasn’t my dad by my mother. Even now I can’t understand how they thought it could be a good idea.”

Jinri felt sadness wash over her; how much pain had the family go through was beyond her imagination.

Taemin continued. “So, by the time Kai’s mother found out, we were best friends. Then his parents started fighting all the time. Every time I mentioned it, since Kai relied on me for advice every time it happened, my mother would keep quiet. Kai’s mother knew nothing of our friendship when she told Kai about me, so when he was happy that his best friend was also his brother, it came out as a huge shock to her. Her illness took an even worse hit when Kai’s father told her the whole truth and decided to introduce me. What I learned later was that she didn’t hate me, as I thought every time I saw her at the mansion, but she hated everything I made her think about. Kai was almost twelve when his mother died.”

Taemin kept silent for a minute. Remembering his twisted past made him wonder why he even insisted on being a part of that family.

“Nobody outside the Kim mansion knew of my existence. So when Kai’s mother died, an opportunity to introduce me as an official son of Kim Jongdae appeared. Father seemed keen on that idea too.”

“Something must have happened for you to be in the position that you are in now,” Jinri muttered.

“Well, it was around that time me and Kai met Joy.”

 

*

 

“Looks like we’ll have to watch the sappy romance drama you didn’t want to watch,” Krystal chuckled at her boyfriend’s frustrated expression.

“Not a chance.” With that, Kai took Krystal’s hand and walked out of the cinema. , he should have done more research on dates.

“What now, then?” The girl asked the question Kai was afraid to hear.

“I don’t know.”

Getting back into the white sports car that Kai drove that day, the two started discussing what to do for the rest of the day. Earlier they met up at the café, went on to the mall, and then came here. It was still pretty early in the afternoon.

“We could watch some movies at my place,” Krystal suggested. She was excited about doing something couple-like with Kai for the first time, so she was a tad sad when nothing interesting was showing at the cinemas that day.

 

*

 

“Who’s Joy?” Jinri was curious. It sounded like this girl had an important role in this story.

“We met her when I was sixteen. She was Kai’s neighbor, only few months older than him. We met her one of the times I were at the mansion to visit my brother. She was a really pretty and humorous girl. Kai instantly felt attracted to her, I knew it even before he told me about it. We met up with her every time I came to the Kim’s residence, since Kai was afraid of asking her out on his own.  The three of us were friends for half a year, but the situation changed when my mother started having huge fights with our father. Only at around that time I started realizing what kind of place me and my mother were in, and to say the least, I was unhappy about all of this. Kim Jongdae started having other affairs once Kai’s mother died, but I found out about it after meeting Joy. I was furious and had nowhere to vent my anger to. I asked out Joy to anger my own brother. My mindset at the time was that Kai had it better than me. Well, I wasn’t wrong on that, but the way I hurt my brother’s heart was beyond childish.”

“Don’t tell me Kai hates you only because you dated his first crush,” Jinri skeptically retorted.

Taemin sat up; said like that, it does sound ridiculous. “Not the case here. You see, after some time he accepted the fact that Joy liked me back, but he didn’t want to know anything about that. The three of us never met up again, Kai didn’t keep in contact with his ongoing crush either. Nevertheless, the day came when I explained the details to Joy on how I decided to ask her out and she was heartbroken. I never liked her, so I left her after only few weeks. As I heard from him, she visited his house, blamed him for all of it, and never contacted either of us again. Kai, still being in love with her, was beyond furious. We fought a few times because of it, but it got even worse when he finally put two plus two together. His mother died because she fell ill. Furthermore, it was all because of the affair. Kai started thinking about how I was the result of his mother’s heartbreak, her death. By the time I was aware of his growing hatred, it was too late already. He understood that the only thing his mother had left him was the title of the company’s CEO. If I were to become an official part of the Kim family, I would take the title, as I am older. He fought with the father, and the latter decided to keep me an illegitimate child.”

“My mother wasn’t happy about it. She wanted the best for both of us, but she had no opportunity to find herself a new lover, as my father was really greedy of her. If she did find someone, he threatened to end all of his connections to me. That way my father would leave me for real, and she didn’t wish for it to happen. She sacrificed her own happiness for a chance for me to have a full family.”

“Then, a few years back, my father promised my mother to finally wed her and to introduce me to society as his true son. Kai despised the idea and hated me even more for it, but father wanted me to start studying about business and economy. That’s why I worked so hard at SNU. I had no desire to take over the company, but it was the only way father would recognize me. Kai was a big troublemaker in high school, had no interest in studying, so father gave up on the idea on him inheriting the title of the CEO. Kai obviously hated me, but put no effort into working towards the title. He always thought it was his natural right to inherit the company. His only. Father obviously thought differently.”

Jinri had to ask, “But what changed? You’re leaving for good in just two days.” She knew the answer, by what Krystal had told her, but she knew Taemin has to end the story to be able to move forward.

“Just days ago, my father called off the engagement. He also, once again, doesn’t want to make me his legit son. My mother and I had enough of this. There is no way I could really be a part of that family, but I don’t want to, anymore, too. Even after all those years, Kim Jongdae stills loves his late wife, and is apologetic towards everything he had put her through. That’s why his past actions were so indecisive. I know that now. I just don’t want to be a part of this mess anymore.”

“I’m glad you told me about it. I believe you have a chance to have a new future. But is it really necessary for you to leave? You could start anew right here,” Jinri got up to open door; their takeout arrived.

“My mother is in Switzerland and she needs my support.”

“Just keep in contact with me, okay?”

Taemin nodded, relieved. “Of course, Jinri.”

 

*

 

Krystal looked over at the sleeping Kai. The second movie had just begun and the boy fell asleep. His head on her lap, she couldn’t really move much. It was only around nine o’clock, possibly too early for the boy to sleep.

Brushing his dark hair, she smiled upon seeing his sleeping expression. In her opinion, he was too cute when unaware of the world around him. Her heart beating fast, she watched as the said boy’s eyes slowly opened at the loud commotion coming from the TV.

“Sorry, but I couldn’t reach the remote to decrease the volume with you sleeping on my lap,” the girl silently said.

“Oh,” Kai sat up, still half asleep and yawning, “I wouldn’t want to miss the sequel.”

Krystal started laughing, as the movie was obviously too boring for the boy’s liking. “Too late, anyway. What do you want to do instead? Maybe go for a walk?”

Kai turned to Krystal with sly grin plastered on his deviously handsome face. “I have some ideas.”

Flustered, the girl quickly stood up. “Do you want some coffee or tea?”

“Coffee. There is a long night ahead.” He loved seeing his girlfriend getting so embarrassed; he enjoyed having such effect on her. That was the Krystal he got to know, not the false version she tried to introduce to him few weeks back.

“I loved your brown hair,” he noted nonchalantly.

The girl felt relieved at the change of topic. “Well, I like my blonde hair now.”

“Doesn’t it hurt your scalp?” Kai asked. “I know mine hurt every time I dyed it anew.”

“That reminds me, why did you stop dying it blond? I thought you tried to make some sort of statement with that hair. I liked it, too.”

Kai snickered, “Yeah, the girls dig it.” Krystal furrowed her brows at the statement. “But I wanted a change. You know the saying ‘new hairstyle new life’? Same reason for you going blond.”

“Why do you think I wanted to change?” Krystal disagreed, “All I wanted to do was try out something new.”

“Krystal, it was obvious you were in love with me way before and wanted to have my attention. That short-lived cold attitude fooled me at first, but you’re not the first girl to try that.”

Krystal’s face flushed bright red. It was true she dropped the act somewhere among the time she started being cozier with Kai.

Kai came up to her, cupped her cheeks and leaned in for a quick peck on the lips. “But I started liking you before you thought of that. I think you should be happy I fell not for your act but for the real you.”

Surprised by such dear words, Krystal hugged her boyfriend with a huge grin on her face. She was a fool in love, but so was he. Because of her, Kai started changing for the better. Krystal knew it, too.

“Forget the coffee,” Kai suddenly declared, then took the girl into his arms. “Right now I have all the energy needed,” he smirked before taking the embarrassed girl into her room.

 

*

 

Chanyeol looked at the time. It was merely past two. He couldn’t sleep, his mind preoccupied by one mystery he was strangely interested in.

Every time he saw Krystal at the café, he tried to get some information about the mysterious ‘secret admirer’. That’s how the two dubbed him in-between their discussions on who it could be.

Since he and Krystal became quite good friends because of the mystery, he knew almost everything about her, what was written in those letters, and about the people around her.

Suspect number one: Luhan

Since the first letter came straight to the Krystal’s address, it had to be someone who knew it. Luhan hadn’t met up with Krystal by then, but he knew the address from her parents. Also, it was kind of strange that the person behind the letters decided he should send it through that person and then through Chanyeol. It would make sense if Luhan was the one at fault and wanted to make sure the letters would reach Krystal. But then again, why not just stick with sending it through normal mail?

Also, as Krystal mentioned, the ‘secret admirer’ was against her being close to some boy. Only after today’s news, Chanyeol finally understood that the boy mentioned in the letters was the same Kai. It would make sense, given Kris mentioning Luhan’s distaste towards the guy.

Suspect number two: Kai

Chanyeol laughed at the thought. This guy is dating her now. Why would he be against Krystal being close to him some months ago?

Well, Krystal told him that that guy (who from today has an actual name, Kai) was a womanizer. It may be that Kai felt that the girl was really different from the ones he hanged out with and didn’t want her to get involved or even hurt. Or he had a growing liking of her, but knew no real way to show it.

But nah, Chanyeol brushed the thought. To think that Kai would be some sort of admirer, would be nonsense.

“Wait!” Chanyeol suddenly sat up on his bed, a realization striking him.

The admirer was all against Kai. All against Krystal having any relationship. From what every little detail he had gathered, it indeed could be just one person.

A tall, brown haired girl with plump lips and pale skin. The person who always ‘just passed the letters through’.

“If I think about it more, didn’t Krystal mention her friend looking somewhat alike?”

Quickly grabbing his phone, he searched the net for a model going by the nickname Sulli.

“That’s her!” He chuckled, satisfied, “I finally found the ‘secret admirer’!”

 

*