Stunningly Beautiful

The Secret Admirer

With a huge help from Lay, Krystal met up with a young designer who was trying to help her change her looks. She didn’t need a huge makeover, but a few advices here and there could change her completely. The young amateur model wasn’t as brave as at the start of the party’s day when she entered the hairdressing salon. Lay was by her side all morning long, however as he was bound to return to work as soon as possible, he gave his trusted hair stylist a few instructions and left the younger girl in the worker’s care.

“I understood you’re going for a chick, yet rock-like style, am I correct?”

Krystal signed. “If lay said it like that, then yes, that’s the case.”

The hairdresser with a blonde pixie cut started brushing her new client’s hair. “Then you’re left in my hands. Do you trust me?”

“Shouldn’t I?” Krystal bit her lip in a nervous manner that was so evident even though she was trying to suppress it.

“Relax, you’re going to look even better when I’m done. To earn your trust, let’s say I’m Amber, and a personal stylist of Lay’s for two and half years now. He loves my work, and so will you when you see what I got in mind.”

“Not to get you more nervous or anything, but could you keep your eyes closed? You know, for a total surprise.”

Krystal let out yet another sign, this time with corners of curling upwards. “Sure.”

 

*

 

Kai was walking from one side of the room to the other, looking frantically for what to wear. As usual, he was invited for an important party. Just this time, his new half-buddy (only half since he still had suspicions about the older guy) Lay had mentioned about Krystal being invited tonight too.

A minute later he still hadn’t chosen between black beater shirt and casual looking blouse with some picture on it. Instead, he ruffled his already shriveled light locks and checked his phone. He’s supposed to be there at 9 o’clock, even though the party starts at around 8.30. He was used to being late. According to him, being not too late nor on time was just classy and attention seeking. Kai loves attention. It’s 6.54.

He signed and plopped his tall body on the bed. “Why am I even so conscious about it? She might not even come.”

A message from Lay came, asking when the boy will be present at the gathering.

“Krystal is just some girl. No one special. Right, she’s nothing compared to all those other girls from the industry. I should just be as laid back as ever,” he loudly convinced none other than himself. It didn’t even occur to him how stupid he might have sounded right now. Anyone could tell right away he has grown attached one way or another to the girl.

With another loud groan he got up again, determined to pick the first cloth he sees in his closed. Only he spent half an hour more, looking for something to wear.

 

*

 

“You’ll be there for me, right?”

Jinri signed, “Yes, Krystal, not only for you though.”

“Huh?”

“This gathering isn’t exactly the usual one. It’s quite important considering some CEO’s from some serious business will be there as well, just like most popular celebrities in our country. It’s a big party, and it could help me even more with my work.”

“I never really got to know you actually considered becoming a full-time model,” Krystal quietly mumbled, a bit embarrassed to admit she didn’t really know her friend that well. The girl was still with her eyes closed, getting her hair done any minute now.

“Not model,” Jinri heaved out, “an actress. My parents unexpectedly had nothing to say about it. That should mean good, right?”

Krystal almost opened her eyes in realization. She heard Jinri’s true dream many times before, but never really registered she would go for it. When Amber scolded for peeking, Krystal glued her eyelashes to the skin once again. “Yeah, I’m happy for your decision. You’ll be a great actress, I’m sure of it.”

Jinri smiled at her reflection in the mirror. “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear right now. Right. So, how are you looking? I’m quite interested in what Lay had in mind for you.”

“It’s supposed to be a chick style.”

“Woah,” Jinri laughed before grabbing her car keys. “Quite a change from your usual girly, cheerleader clothing.”

“You make it sound bad,” Krystal also let out a chuckle. “Lay will pick me up, so we’ll meet at the party.”

 

*

 

Still in the shop, Luhan was also busy getting ready for the party. Kris’ friend was some sort of co-founder of the party and helped to get Luhan in it.

“You look great, don’t worry,” Kyungsoo chuckled at his boss’ pout. “Come on, it’s just some party.”

“Yeah, just a party where he could change his future girlfriend’s image of him,” Kris out to his friends.

“It’s Krystal, right?”

Everyone looked at Chanyeol. He crossed his arms and slightly shrugged. “It’s pretty obvious considering I heard your chats with Kris a few times.”

Luhan’s eyes widened. “You were listening?”

“Just passing by. Besides, you were pretty loud about it. Even some customers heard about your rants about some girl that lives next door to you. You two talk daily about her at every brake you have. Loudly.”

“Well, I knew it was some girl,” Kyungsoo admitted, “just never really wondered who she was. It all makes sense now, considering how many times we saw her here. Just thought you were really good friends with her considering how much you talked about her. Sorry for not getting the obviousness earlier.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “So? You found out. Fine. I liked her for a really long time now, but there is this other guy who might be interested in her. I got to work fast. This party, at least according to Kris, is my chance.”

 

*

 

“So, what do you think?” Amber’s mischievous smile reflected in the mirror. Krystal was evidently shocked, out of words.

Krystal suddenly grabbed her longer than usual tresses. “It’s white! You bleached it!”

Amber pouted before answering. “You don’t like it?”

“No, it’s not that…”

“I know, you’re shocked,” Amber smiled once more, “I have that power. Look, I also made it longer than your old hair.”

“I-I see that. It’s nice.”

“Oh Krystal, it looks way better than just nice. It looks awesome on you! It immediately changes your style radically. If you want, I could do your make up too, for free, since it’s your first visit here,” Amber suggested.

The younger girl smiled a bit, “That would be really awesome of you.” Somehow, she started to like the word ‘awesome.

Lay arrived to pick up Krystal right before the party, with new clothes from the designer the two meet up earlier that day. It was an understatement to say Lay was just as shocked as Krystal, seeing her new hairdo. Amber didn’t stop scoffing at his stunned expression before and after Krystal changed into the new outfit.

“That’s what I’m talking about,” the boy snickered and high-fived his personal hair stylist.

“I don’t really think it describes what you meant by ‘chick’, though…” Krystal nervously smiled at the ground.

“Yeah, it’s even greater than what I thought it would turn out to. You look amazing, Krystal,” the model himself admitted.

Amber chuckled, “It’s awesome.”

Yet again, Krystal fell in love with that single word that described how she truly felt right then.

 

*

 

Kai went a bit late to the party as he planned, only to find some already drunk people from his company dancing their heads off. He smirked at the sign of girls then and now turning their heads and suggestively eyeing him up and down. He already noted one really attractive girl near the table when one voice called out to him.

“Kai!”

The said boy immediately dropped his previous smirk and turned around. He recognized the voice to be Jinri’s, and his mind was quick to wonder if Krystal was beside her. Once he saw with who Jinri was, he rolled his eyes. “Of course. Hello big brother.”

Taemin stiffened at how Kai addressed him, however maintained his cold expression. “You should have guessed I’ll be there.”

“Why should you be here, exactly?”

Jinri’s hand s around her crush’s. “He’ll inherit your father’s company, if you did not know.”

“How could you possibly know that?” Kai spit out, anger flaming inside him. According to Kai, he was the only one who could inherit it. He deserves at least that much.

Taemin responded on his companion’s behalf. “Rumors travel fast. Our father talked about it yesterday with his secretary. Even though I wasn’t his first choice, he had to go along other co-president of the company.”

“You’re lying,” Kai hissed. “I have ten percents of the stocks.”

“And I have twenty. My mother has another fifteen, and she’s more than ready to give it to me.”

“You’re an . Did you want it all along?”

Taemin rubbed his neck to calm himself. Some girls around were already gossiping about their little chat right now. “You know that’s not the case. But we should’ve seen it coming. Why did you think I was forced to major in business and stocks? Because I like it?”

“Either way, it’s not the best time to fight,” Jinri reminded the two. “People are staring. And Taemin, you need to meet the secretary, he’s supposed to be around here.”

Kai heaved out a frustrated growl. “Jinri, are you that good of a friend if you’re with the guy who likes your best friend?”

Jinri panicked because somehow, Kai got it right.

“I invited her to accompany me. What’s your problem? I told you many times I don’t like Krystal. But just in case you forgot that too, let me remind you one more time: she’s too good for you to crush her heart.

Maybe that was the wrong time for Taemin to say that, since loud gasps grasped the trio’s attention to the main doors. Coming though them, were no one other than Krystal herself, hand in hand with co-host of the party, Lay. Both of them made their way towards the centre of the main room, all eyes glued on them.

Jinri’s mouth went agape at the sight. Even the two brothers beside her couldn’t stop taking in Krystal’s new look. She was dashing, to say at least. Her long, almost platinum white locks were slightly curled and bounced perfectly on her bare shoulders, black skinny dress clothing her slight curves, showing even better view of her model figure. Kai gulped down. Not only her appearance changed. From her satisfied smirk he could tell she has changed drastically personality-wise too. He knew that Krystal had that charisma in her all along, since their first bickering at the university at what seemed like such a long time ago.

“Stop staring,” Krystal smirked even more right before Kai’s eyes. He had to actually close his mouth, only it had already brought a smile on both Lay and Krystal’s features.

“Are you two together now?” He couldn’t help asking. When did they become so close?

“Is that seriously the first thing you wanna know?” Krystal chuckled lightly, and then smirked once more. She couldn’t stop doing that while feeling everyone still looking at her. It was more than pleasant. And somehow, she felt quite natural acting like that. Maybe she should consider acting too, like her best friend.

Talking about best friends… Jinri grabbed Taemin’s hand so hard he winced in pain. She was so scarred he would change his mind about Krystal right away, seeing her even more gorgeous than ever. She was truly happy for such a useful change of her friend; however she should consider herself too. Jinri hoped everything will go according to Lay’s plan.

“You sound jealous, Kai,” Lay snickered under the threatening eyes of the said boy. It was almost like Kai was telepathy asking Lay if the two were really friends to begin with.

“Don’t mistake him,” Krystal patted Lay’s toned chest, surprising even the boy himself. “Kai isn’t that kind of guy to care for a mere girl. Taemin,” she addressed her friend’s pair who stood there silently the whole time, still in shock about the new her. “You look nice.”

“Thanks,” Taemin  stiffened slightly. “You look… um… different.”

“I hope you mean it in a good way,” Krystal winked and slid her hand upwards Lay’s right arm. “We should go now, he promised to introduce me some of his friends from the celebrity world.”

“Yeah, I’ll catch you a bit later,” Jinri faked a smile and nodded. The dashing pair took their leave then.

“And what did you say exactly about Krystal earlier, Taemin?” Kai muttered before strolling away on his own to refill his drink. He’ll need lots of drinks to get through the night.

 

*

 

“So, this is Xiumin, one of the guys that helped me a lot to start acting overseas,” Lay gestured to the really young looking guy with an oversized print tee and snapback hat. Xiumin waved at Krystal and she smiled back.

“His first movie will come out in December, look forward to it,” he smiled a wide smile that decreased his eye’s-size into a crescent moon’s one. He was plainly adorable to be in the business.

“I’m Krystal, nice to meet you. You look my age,” she added.

Lay stiffed a laugh. “Do not mistake, he’s a tad older than me. And already a head of a successful company.”

“Wow,” was all she could say.

“Next on, are Zitao, also known as just Tao, other well known model from China. He just recently opened a restaurant in Beijing’s downtown. Quite successful work, I must add.”

“I could’ve introduced myself way better, but what can we do with you,” Tao smiled. He extended his hand. “Nice seeing you, Krystal.”

Lay smirked and checked his phone. “Kris’ friend should be around here also. He is an inheritor of some huge business oversees, and has recently opened a café in town also. We should help him a bit to get used to Seoul’s Upper East Side’s life.”

Krystal just eyed suspiciously the newly introduced guys, as they also smirked in content, like it was some sort of coded message only rich boys could understand. She wasn’t so sure she liked how the sweet looking boys changed in front of her. It scarred her a bit, even. Especially Lay. She thought simpler than that.

“Are you, perhaps, Xiumin?” A voice broke the silence between the group.

“Luhan?” the called man gasped in recognition. Krystal mimicked his expression. Was she really seeing her childhood friend slash neighbor next door right now? How could the two be connected?

“Haven’t seen you for some years now, I think,” Luhan’s eyes glistened at Xiumin; he still hadn’t noticed Krystal, as hard as it was to imagine. She almost hid herself behind Lay.

“You’re acquaintance?” Tao questioned, practically sure it was a dumb thing to ask.

“My mate from college days. Before I transferred here, that is. What are you doing there, Lu?”

“I was supposed to meet up with a guy called Lay. Do you know him?”

“It’s me,” Lay smirked and Luhan’s eyes fell on the handsome taller man from the magazine cover that he saw a few times in his own café. Under his sight he could make out someone shifting in his or her stance behind Lay. “This is Krystal,” Lay grabbed the girl at the sight and intertwined his hand with hers.

Luhan stopped breathing. When did she change so much? He was more than sure he saw just yesterday, looking like her old self, walking with bag of groceries back to her apartment. So when? No, scratch that, why? Still, he had to admit not only she changed radically, she looked more charismatic and gorgeous than ever.

“Hi, Lulu,” she awkwardly waved to him, her head pointing a bit down and eyes shooting upwards. She looked so pretty Luhan felt his cheeks heating. “We know each other also,” she pointed out to others listening.

“What a small world,” Lay smirked and let go of her hand slowly to grab a glass for Luhan from the table near them. “What could I help you with?”

“I’m Kris’ friend, if it says anything to you,” Luhan averted his gaze from Krystal’s beautiful eyes. He shouldn’t stare at her for too long, he reprimanded himself.

“Small world indeed,” Lay repeated himself and chuckled heartily. “Kris told me you need some commercial help for your café. Let’s meet one of my other acquaintance for that, shall we?” He gestured further into the spacious house.

Luhan mentally scoffed at himself for not asking Kris how he was accepted into the party. Just as he met Krystal…

“Will you be okay alone for a while, Krystal?” Lay turned at Krystal, indicating she wasn’t really invited for the serious business. She bit her bottom lip before nodding.

“It’s okay, I have to meet up with Jinri anyway. Good luck,” she smiled sincerely to Luhan and bid her goodbyes.

Jerk, Krystal thought as she pushed through the crowded pile of people, looking for her best friend. I thought he was way more awesome than this. No, he doesn’t deserve such a word as ‘awesome’, she pouted childishly until others started noticing her again. When that happened, her smirk returned. I kind of like this.