Alliance

The Secret Admirer

 

It was only yesterday that Krystal got to know about today’s photo shoot with a well-known male model. Driving with Jinri to the park that was chosen by the photographers, Krystal though a lot about Kai. She was more than sure that she’ll be modelling with him today, hence, he mentioned it weeks ago.

However, bidding goodbye and thanking for a lift to Jinri, the girl was surprised to find another familiar face instead of Kai’s.

“Lay?”

Lay was just outside the dressing tent, a grim expression clouding his face. “Krystal,” he smiled the moment he noticed her.

“I didn’t think I’ll be shooting together with you,” she admitted. Lay’s knowing eyes formed a smiley shape.

“You wanted it to be Kai,” he more likely stated than questioned. Either way, the girl’s flushed red face told him he has hit bull’s eye.

“That’s not it!” She still persisted, Kai’s smirk crossing her mind. “Aren’t you too popular to work with a newbie like me?

“I’m not going to lie- I was the one to ask for this.”

“Why?” It was unreasonable and unexpected for him to initiate this meeting out of nowhere.

“I had something to discuss with you.”

 

*

 

“So you believe it’s a good plan?” Luhan’s worried eyes scanned Kris’ mischievous expression. The taller friend just dropped something on him.

“It’s a great plan,” Kris proudly assured, fully believing his own idea.

“So where should I start?”

“Go to that place.”

After taking his apron off, without another word Luhan exited the café and took his car downtown. Arriving half an hour later in the center, he parked right in front of one huge glass shining building.

“What could I help you with?” a young register girl asked him when he entered through main doors.

“I would like to audition for modelling.”

 

*

 

Earlier just before the photo shoot began, Lay proposed to chat after the work was done. With it in mind, Krystal kind of stiffly posed with the older model, since her mind was too busy guessing what this meeting truly was about.

With the photographer and the rest of the staff getting tired of countless re-takes, Lay asked for a short break. The others agreed and so Lay, with Krystal strolling beside him, took a bench a bit further from the commotion.

“You’re too tense.”

“Well if you had told me whatever you had to say earlier, I wouldn’t have been busy the whole time, trying to figure out what that was all about.”

“I’ll cut you some slack then,” he smirked and placed his arm behind the seated girl. She uncomfortably shifted a bit from him, but didn’t say anything about it, not wanting to change the topic.

“It’s Kai. Before he came to your apartment, we met at a party.” Before she could question further, he continued. “We started texting afterwards, so he told me about his visit the next day. I guess he needed somebody to help him.”

“Help him with what?”

“It goes back to the party, actually. When I met him that late evening, he had a lot on his mind. I strongly believe he likes you and wants to change himself.”

Krystal struggled with closing . Such confirmation from someone beside Jinri gave a huge shock to her.

“Do you think he can change?”

Lay was still grinning. “From your lack of disgusted response I suppose you like him also. Well, one way or another, I want to believe he can be a great boyfriend to you. But it’s too difficult on his own, trust me on this, I tried. It may seem simple to you to attach yourself to just one person, but once you taste our life, it gets harder every day.”

“And what should I help him with? Should I say I like him also or what?”

And that’s when Lay became serious. “No, the opposite. If you come so easily to him, he’ll forget why he started liking you in the first place soon enough.”

“I have to be unreachable then?”

“That might help the case,” he grinned again. “Want me to give you a few helpful examples?”

“Sure,” she nodded.

“First, your appearance.”

Krystal took a strand of hair in her palms. “What’s lacking?”

“Nothing, actually, but if you want to act cold, you have to look like it also. Then comes the harder part: your acting. If you want to fool Kai to think you’re not yet interested in him, you have to be a great actress. Try to show less emotion to whatever he does.”

“Fine. I’ll try. But I don’t even know when I’ll meet Kai again, he likes to skip our lectures at the university a lot.”

“And that’s the second thing I wanted to talk to you about. There’s a huge party coming next Friday, and both of you are invited.”

 

*

 

“I had to meet the CEO of the company to be accepted,” Luhan announced to Kris though his cell phone. He was already heading to his home.

“They took you in so easily? I’m impressed.”

“Hey, you thought of this! But, I wasn’t exactly accepted…”

“What?”

“Well… I have this period of time as a test set for me.”

“How long?”

“Two weeks.”

“That’s too long.”

“And why is that? I think it’s more than we could ask for.”

“There’s a gathering this upcoming Friday you need to get into. You know who will be there.”

“How do you even know about it?”

“I have other important friends beside you, Lu,” Kris chuckled into his phone and drew a shape with a pencil in his notebook.

“Well now I’m impressed,” Luhan mocked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Anyway… If it’s like that, what should I do now?”

“Most of the attendants will be from the fashion and show business. You have to get into the sphere this week. I’ll ask one friend about it, we’ll get you there.”

“Thanks. You’re helping me out a lot.”

Kris nonchalant shrugged, “We’re friends.”

“So… Why aren’t you working right now?” Even with Kris helping him out as it is, Luhan still had to remind his friends at the café of his superior position as their employer. And right now Kris wasn’t really fulfilling his job.

“I’m drawing.”

“Get back to work then.”

“Yes, chef,” Kris obediently stood up like a good employee should do and placed the notebook on the table in the kitchen, where Kyungsoo was working.

“On and Kris?”

“Yeah?”

“Sorry, man, but your drawings seriously . Stop slacking off the work for that.”

 

*

 

“Do you really trust Lay that much?” Jinri pushed her cup away from her face. The girl just heard about the unexpected union. But the thought of her senior model dropping the plan on her best friend who only met him for, like, three times, came as more of a shock to Jinri.

Krystal’s body heavily slopped down her seat across Jinri. “Sulli, look, I know it was too random from him, but he isn’t that bad. He also said he started getting all buddy friendly with Kai, so that may be the only reason he’s helping me out.”

Still, Jinri was uncertain. She never heard about someone being so friendly in this business, especially him. What would he gain from all of this? The possible realization struck her.

“He might be using you. Kai is the rising star right now, the only one who could outshine Lay anytime soon. And having such an unstable job as of Lay’s, he would probably like to get rid of all the obstacles in his way. That’s when you come in.”

Krystal pursed her lips and sipped apple juice from her glass. “I would never ask Kai to stop modeling if he loves it that much, if that’s what you’re getting at.”

“It doesn’t depend on you. You may have guessed it already, but if Kai is the big bastard now, Lay is the experienced jerk, to only one superior to Kai’s playboy self. I wouldn’t trust Lay so easily. Furthermore, there are more cases in which Kai could drop the job. In case you haven’t thought about it, you’ll be trying to change not only Kai’s way of living, but also thinking. What if he wouldn’t like modeling with you in his life? Or if you suddenly became the jealous girlfriend and make him get away from all the possible sways?”

Jinri took a deep breath. “Krystal, why not try the usual, normal way of pursuing the guy’s heart?”

Krystal’s bitter eyes looked straight through her friend’s gaze. “Because it didn’t work so far, JInri, you know that the best.”

‘That’s right,’ Jinri thought. Being reminded of all the unsuccessful relationships Krystal’s has ever been into, the friend felt really bad for even suggesting that. Krystal was naïve, but not that badly to become her old self again. However, doesn’t Lay’s plan sound too suspicious?

Lay would get something from this in return, Jinri was more than sure of it, but seeing Krystal slumped there, devastated, got the better of her and JInri gave in. “Fine, you win. I’ll contact him and see what I can help with.”

 

*

 

Teamin was outside his father’s mansion and the maids didn’t want to let him in. Suspecting it to be Kai’s instruction to the workers, he quietly snuck in the living room with an old maid’s help.

However, all his suspicions were deemed wrong when he met his younger brother in the spacious room.

“Your workers are obeying your orders well,” Taemin grinned.

Kai turned around at the sound of familiar voice and raised brows. “I seriously have no idea what you’re talking about.”

To anyone else Kai’s words would sound like a sarcastic lie, but Taemin was his older brother after all, probably the only one who knew him too well to differ from when Kai is saying lies and when- the truth.

“So it seems someone else wanted me out of this place today, besides you.”

Kai grinned. “I don’t want you out of here,” he corrected. “I want you out of my sight. Out of my life. Forever.”

It was almost amusing to see Kai say such cruel words with a smile, but Taemin just smiled at him. He wouldn’t retort . At least today.

“What are you doing here?” a voice from the upstairs called. Soon their father entered the living room.

Taemin knew the question was meant for him. Today’s occasion was the reason he should be as far away from their ‘family’ as possible. “Hello, father.”

“I thought the workers understood my instructions well.”

“Ah, so you told them to kick me out,” Taemin bitterly smiled.

Kai stepped away, ready to leave. “We’ll leave in five minutes. Make it quick,” and he left.

“To think I’m your oldest son and even I can’t talk to you like that,” Taemin scoffed.

Father fixed his tie. “I don’t want to repeat it again. Why are you here? Do you know what day today is?”

“Yes, I do. It’s the day Kai hates me the most.”

“If you’re so well informed, why? I believe your relationship doesn’t let you to be so carefree, then.”

“It will sound stupid to you, but I want to go with you. I want to go to the cemetery.”

“You’re right, that’s stupid. You’re the reason Kai’s mother died.”

The boy’s eyes widened in anger; how could his own father say thing like that? “It’s you who got her into a situation like this! Where’s mom right now?”

“Your mother is in Brazil with her friends. At least she’s not that dumb to be around here at this time.”

Taemin felt a temptation to hit his own father. And he despised the feeling whatsoever.

Pretending to look at his watch, the father snuck his hands in his pockets. “Taemin, son, don’t make me speak like this. You know how much I cared for her.”

Taemin scoffed again, rolling his eyes, “And you found just a way to show her how much you loved her.”

The father swung his arm and Taemin placed a hand on the burning cheek. Taemin lost a count of how many time his father has slapped him in the past.

“It’s not the place nor the time to have this discussion. Get back to studying and don’t disappoint me from now onwards,” the old man hissed before quickly walking out of the house.