Friends For Now

The Secret Admirer

Krystal threw the letter on her work table. That 'F' person seems like a real stalker, she difinitely won't reply him. He even dared to mention her break ups? 'It's none of his business!' Althought she should just throw the letter away, she had to agree gaving someone to write you old fashioned letters was a little bit romantic. Maybe she'll just keep those two letters as a proff that she had an admirer. Never mind that, she had to get ready for meeting with Taemin. She had no idea why he got her number, but nevertheless she was ultra happy. Of course, with her head cleared a bit from dating boys, she tried to not assume things, but it was a bit hard when she remembers what happened last night with Luhan and the fact that Taemin has asked her out. Taemin was like a god to her, so smart, so handsome and so friendly, she couldn't believe he knew about her existance. Right now she was happy with all the hard work through the first year at university, because the reason she got his attention were her scores. 'I have to look pretty!' Krystal started running through her apartment, choosing her clothes and make up.

After bothersome waiting, she decided to go to cafe earlier than planned. She got around thirty minutes early, so she went straight to her usual table, only to find it occupied by Kai. Strangely, he was alone. When he saw her standing two meters away from him, he smirked to her and gestured for her to sit in front of him. Krystal was dumbfounded. 'Why is he here? He stole my table! And why is he inviting me to sit with him?' She didn't come up with a good escape so she just accepted the seat. Kai was the one to start the conversation.

"Fancy meeting you here, nerd."

"That's my line, jerk."

"Still so feisty, are you?" Kai chuckled and opened the menu. Krystal just stared at him. "Don't stare. Choose what you would like to eat."

"I'm not hungry."

"Oh yeah? Then why are you here?"

"I'm waiting for someone."

"Don't tell me it's a guy," he put up the meniu and signaled for waitress to come.

"So what if it is?" she smirked; it is not some guy, it is Taemin, the one Kai dislikes.

"After your last break up? You really like changing boys a lot. Or, other way around - you are the one they always dump." Waitress came so Krystal didn't say anything. Kai ordered some cocktails with a bit of alcohol for both of them while flirting with the waitress. Krystal definitely won't accept anything from him, she thought. When the waitress was gone with a wink from Kai, Krystal finally responded.

"For not being so interested in me you sure know a lot. And I'm meeting an awesome guy, way better than someone like you."

"Who said I'm not interested? After our last meeting I did a little research."

"Never guessed mr. palyboy could be a stalker in disguise."

"I'm not. I was just choosing my prey. Since you said that I can't go after Jinri, I had to think of something else," he quickly grabbed her chin and pulled her face closer to him while smiling widely. Right now she could only think about how he resembled someone else... After a few seconds he let go of her, smug smile plastered all over his face.

"So what are YOU doing here? I come here a lot and it's the first time seeing you here. You even stole my usual spot, ," Krystal tried to change the subject so that her hearth would calm down. The waitress brought them their cocktails. Krystal pushed her glass closer to Kai, but he glared at her so she accepted it and had a sip. It was really strong and she couldn't understand how he could drink this early.

"I accidentaly got information about my dear brother meeting a girl here. It's his first time going on a date, so I was interested in his choice of girl. If he likes her enough, I'll steal her from him."

"You really are a bastard. And I never knew you had a brother."

"Thanks, I work hard on my image. My brother... you have seen him," he gulped down his whole glass and looked at a new customer that came into cafe. He put his glass down and waved that person.

"Hyung!"

The new customer came behind Krystal and she turned around, interested in who's Kai's brother. When she saw Taemin standing here, with a questioning look on his face while looking at her, her head felt dizzy. It was like her brains were riding a really fast rollercoaster with many ups and downs. Only now she understood why Kai looked like someone she knew- he and Taemin were almost identical! How could she not realise it the first time she saw them together?

Taemin was puzzled. Why was Jongin here, and furthermore, why was Krystal sitting with him?

"Hi hyung. So where's your friend?" Kai greeted Taemin, who was now having a deep eye's contact with Krystal. After Kai coughed, the two broke the contact and looked at him.

"How did you know where I'm going?"

"I accidentaly came upon your open message. So who's SooJung?"

"It's me," Krystal interupted. Kai was shocked. Taemin grabbed Krystal's arm and made her stand up. Without another look at now smiling Kai, he took her hand and huriedly went outside, walking fast down the street for almost five minutes until she let go of him and stopped in their track.

"Are you really that bastard's brother?"

"It's complicated, really. What I can tell you for sure is that you should stay away from him at all costs. He might have misunderstood us and might want to try something. He's really dangerous, SooJung," he looked at her with eyes full of worry and she couldn't help but nodd in agreement.

"I understand. I'll ignore him if he comes close. I don't really understand, but I can tell you aren't on friendly terms either."

"Thank you. But since you have already gotten in to this thing, I'll have to stay close to you. Accept me as a friend?' Taemin smiled and pushed his hand forward. Krystal blushed a bit, nodded and accepted the hand shake.

"What did you wanna do today?"

"I told you already to call me oppa!" he laughed and started leading Krystal towards his car down the street.

"Okay, oppa," she chuckled. "So where are we going?"

"Before I wanted to go to the new technologies presentation. That's the reason I invited you. Nobody else I know are as smart as you, and I couldn't leave my rival out when learning new information. But I don't want to go there anymore."

"Such a gentelman," Krystal slapped his shoulder lightly while chuckling. "I think I have an idea."

 

*

 

The wind was strong and cold so Krystal shivered. Maybe it wasn't a smart idea to come here while she is wearing only a light yellow dress and black chunky heels. Her hair was now a mess, too. Taemin noticed that it was cold for her, so he gave her his warm jacket and was left now only with his white ed shirt and sky blue pants. nevertheless, he didn't look cold.

"I think you regret coming here, it's too cold for you," he chuckled. Krystal only rolled her eyes and pushed her tongue out.

"Nonsense! I love it here. We used to come here a lot with my sister Jessica and her ex boyfriend Jonghyun. It brings back nice memories." She then shivered once again. It was now Taemin's turn to roll his eyes when she almost tripped with her heels on the sand. He helped her to get up and removed her heels, taking them in his hands.

"Probably no memories of cold weather here, no?"

"..." Krystal glared.

"This place is really nice. But it's sad the water is so cold. We could have gone swimming." They were walking in the beach, two hours away from Seoul. Near the beach were summer houses, but only half of them seemed occupied. Krystal noticed Taemin looking at one of the houses.

"Most of the time they are used only by high school students for vacations. Nobody really comes here anymore, because there's a newly cleaned beach just a few minutes away from here. Now this place is abandoned." She then taped Taemin on his shoulder to get to point to grass fields near the road where they left his car.

"Oppa, let's go there. I want to find some beautiful flowers and twine a wreath," she smiled smiled sweetly at him and Taemin couldn't say no.

"I'll help you."

 

*

 

Taemin's phone showed 8:23. It was time to go. But he didn't want to, when he looked at Krystal sitting opposite him on the grass with her legs covered by all the flowers they found on the field. She looked at him and gave the wreath she made for him. He accepted and put it on his head, then took the one lying between him and Krystal and put it on her head.

"It's time to go now, right, oppa?"

"We can stay longer, if you want."

"No, it's fine. It sould be pretty late already. We still have a long road home."

While going home, there was a peaceful silence. Midway home, around nine thirty, Krystal decided to ask something that has bugged her for a while now.

"I know it's not my business, but since we're friends now, could you tell me what exactly happened between you and Kai?"

"I don't think I'm ready to talk about it yet. Nobody else aside from our family really knows about it either. All I can tell you is that it started mainly because of our parents. I never really hated him. But he does. He hates me and himself. I believe our family is the only reason of his awful behavior. Even thought it was quite okay in the childhood, he always desperately tried to find anything to hate me for and he succeed."

"Truth to be told, I don't get it. At all," she whispered while looking through the window. Taemin bitterly smiled to himself.

"Maybe I'll explain everything to you some day. Just don't push me now."

If Taemin was Kai's brother, then they had something in common. She guessed it might be their short temper, so remembering how Kai reacted to the insult, she decided it was the best to drop the topic. She's really interested how these two brothers became enemies, but it was none of her business and she knew at least that.

 

*

 

"Thanks, oppa. Have a safe trip home!" Krystal waved at Taemin and he drove away. She went inside the building to the third floor, where her apartment is. She unlocked the doors and was greeted by Jinri.

"Sul! What are you doing here?"

"I decided to have a sleep over at your place, but since you didn't respond to my messages, I just came straight here." Krystal then took her phone out of her little bag and saw that her phone's battery was dead.

"Sorry, I was out with Taemin oppa," she then sat on the coutch. Jinri almost dropped the magazine she was holding.

"Bwo? What were you doing? Tell me all about it!" Jinri, full of glee, sat closer to Krystal and was almost bouncing in excitement. Krystal smiled widely to her best friend.

"Well, he messeged me today, asking to meet."

"That's why he wanted your number! At first I thought that it was some university deal. Go on."

"Well to start, i came to cafe where we were supposed to meet too early and I met Kai, his... never mind that. After drinking with Kai a bit..."

"Are you stupid? Drinking with Kai?" Jinri smacked Krystal on the head. Krystal sheepishly looked away and continued.

"It was just a one sit, Sulli. Then soon Taemin saw us and the two of us drove to a beach outside Seoul. It was really nice. I almost wanted to stay there more. But it was late, so, he took me home. That's all."

"So... are you going to meet him again?" Jinri asked with a twisted expression. Krystal knew what was in her friend's head.

"I think so, we might hangout again, as friends." Jinri sighned.

"You know I want you to find a great guy, but I think it's too soon for you to get in a relationship. You just started to realise what's been wrong and you have to think of yourself first."

"I get it. Sul, I really do. I will just look for friends, okay?" Krystal took Jinri's hands.

"You're really smart." Jinri smiled. "Now, how about some popcorns and a movie marathon?"

"Sounds awesome! But I don't have any popcorn at home."

"I'll go to the convenience store. I'll buy ice cream too."

"Banana flavor for me!"

Jinri chuckled. "Alright." She then grabbed her bag and was about to go out, when she remembered something. "Has your admirer wrote to you anything more?"

Krystal hesitated for a second. "No, i don't think it was serious in the first place."

"That's strange. Well, you might hear more from him in the future."

"Maybe. Now go, I'll look for good movies while you're out. Don't forget banana ice cream for me!"

 

*

 

Krystal didn't know why she lied to Jinri. Maybe she thought it was not that important. And maybe, just maybe, she actually wanted to have a pen pal. Jinri should be out for twenty minutes at least, so Krystal could take a shower now. But only as she came to bedroom for clean clothes, she saw the letters and quickly grabed clean paper and pen; she started writing.

'Hello... I really didn't think about replying you. But then again, I think I need someone to talk to. It's just that I don't know if I can trust you, mr. F.'

Krystal looked at the paper in her hands. She wasn't content with how little she wrote. She then added a bit.

'Well, since you seem shy, I guess you are a nice person too, also for writing a letter. Can you tell me something about yourself? I need to know something if you want us to become friends.'

"That'll be enough," Krystal said. She decided to keep the letters as a secret and to find a place to where to place them. She also needs a new envelope, so she might go buy it tommorow. For now, she places her letter in her closet, under some shoe boxes.

Soon after Krystal came out of shower Jinri came back with snacks. Their movies marathon began.

 

*

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

How was it? I would really love any comment :D

Also, I felt that Krystal's interaction with Luhan was too unexpected. I think I'll explain his behavior in some other chapter.

How many of you want next chapter to be KaiStal mainly? :D