Complimentary

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally, new academic year was coming. That February the wind was still strong, but the snowy days had passed. I ate my lunch passionately. Hadn’t got the breakfast before. I was eating in the usual spot, the corner facing the school’s yard, been watching kids running around while Jonghyun blabbered about NASA interview. He’s been busy studying since he made up his mind for Harvard scholarship route.
“So, you will taking the exam in the 12th grade right? Is it necessary to taking so many things while we’re still in the first day of our 11th grade??”, I looked at him that busy shoving the Physics books. Ugh, Physics, I really hate that subject.
“Yeah, but it’s a tough exam, you think I’m the one that applied for that scholarship? I’m competing with the whole world. I need to be the first Korean NASA astronaut”, he said while eating his sandwich without lost his sight on his Physics book.
“Whoa that sounds really cool, you’ll be in the news someday, and I’ll be like ‘hey hey look, he was my best friend in high school’”, I said.
Jonghyun chuckled, almost spill his sandwich; “I’ll invite you, Changhyun, and Byunghun-hyung for my first flight outer space”.
“Eh? You could actually do that?”, I asked.
Jonghyun just laughed at me with his blank, amazed eyes and back to his books; “Of course you could”, he mumbled.

Looking at Jonghyun that studied so hard already tiring for me, my eyes was scanning the whole cafeteria and there was Byunghun-hyung walked with Chanhee and Hyuna. They were all in the same class now. How convenience… Byunghun-hyung noticed me and he waved excitedly, he then asked Chanhee and Hyuna to follow him. Weirdly enough, they just went along, approaching our table. I could sense how other eyes been carefully observed our situation. Chanhee and Hyuna, King and Queen of Wangja Highschool, now coming to our corner table…

“Niel-ah, Jonghyun-ah, how is it going?”, Byunghun-hyung sat excitedly beside Jonghyun.
Chanhee and Hyuna just looked at us, they chatted about something else. Gave us a really awkward atmosphere.
“Um, Chanhee, Hyuna, it’s Niel, and Jonghyun”, Byunghun-hyung introduced us. The two different worlds collided.
“Oh, hi, you guys must be Byunghun’s best friends... he told us a lot about you guys", Hyuna offered us her hand. She was so stunning, like bright sunshine on the dark alleyways in the morning, she brighten our once awkward atmosphere. Byunghun-hyung was right, she was no way snobbish or y, in fact she came as friendly and warm. I didn't know who the girl I saw in the bar couple nights back, this Hyuna in front of us just a regular high school student... well, except for the fact that she dyed her hair in light brown color.
"I'm Chanhee", Chanhee also gave us his hand after finished his texting and put his phone in his pocket. Both me and Jonghyun welcomed their hands and nodded lightly.
"So, Byunghun you want to eat here? me and Chanhee will go there...", Hyuna pointed at the center table, now crowded with loud sound of laughs. Popular group always drew everyone's attention.
"Ah, well...", Byunghun-hyung looked at the center table hesitantly.
"I stay here", said Byunghun-hyung, unwrapped his burger.
"Alright then, see you", said Chanhee, rushing to the center table, I looked at them walking proudly through other students, like they're so important.

"Whoa, what are these books? Jonghyun, you study really well now", Byunghun-hyung busy flipping Jonghyun's books. Me and Jonghyun looked at each other. It's quite awhile Byunghun-hyung weren't together with us. Though he was a year older, he always had lunch with us. He was friend with many, since he was the type who like to approach first, but I think he was the most comfortable around us.
"It's the NASA, hyung, NASA", I said.
"Oh! you're really serious about it, then...?", Byunghun-hyung stared at Jonghyun.
"Of course I am! do you think I'm just joking around?", said Jonghyun.
"No no, it's just quite unbelievable how far you'd go for it", said Byunghun-hyung shoving the burger into his mouth.
"Hyung, do you understand Quantum Mechanics? I've work on it quite a while now. It's really hard", said Jonghyun, showing Byunghun-hyung some equations.
"Quantum Mechanics... that's university degree Physics, Jonghyun-ah. Let me see...", Byunghun-hyung pulled the book from Jonghyun and started to read it carefully.
"I think it goes this way, isn't it...?", he started to scribble the equation. Jonghyun watched him carefully, tried to understand one by one. But at the end, the answer didn't match up.
"Ah... it's not it?", Byunghun-hyung laughed at himself.

"That's the exact same problem I encountered yesterday, hyung... but you did it in faster way. I'm still impressed", said Jonghyun, also giggling.
Byunghun-hyung looked into the book once again.
"This element is really complicated. Yah, I think it's beyond me. Hahaha... you will have this in NASA exam?", asked Byunghun-hyung.
"Yeah, for the Harvard scholarship test though. I told my home teacher about this before, he was so stunned about my decision, he thought I was joking too, but then after he saw how determined I am, he looked for the test materials, and this Quantum Mechanics was there. Ah, really. It's hard isn't it?", said Jonghyun, looked at his own books, disgusted.
"Why didn't you ask him, then?", asked Byunghun-hyung.
"No teacher could extract this as well! hahaha... could you believe that? ah, should I go to the university?", said Jonghyun.
"Why don't you ask Chanhee? his brother majoring Physics in university", said Byunghun-hyung, make me and Jonghyun looked at each other meaningfully once again.
"Is that okay?", asked Jonghyun hesitantly.
"Yeah, I'll ask him later", said Byunghun-hyung.
I took a glance on Jonghyun, he was also giving a signal about how weird it's gonna be. I peeked to the center table behind. Chanhee was with his girlfriend, Son Naeun. The cute and nice girl in my class back in 10th grade. It was quite a buzz how Chanhee didn't choose Hyuna as his date, in fact he fell for Naeun's charms. What could I say, guys always picked nice girls in the end, except well... this one hyung; Byunghun-hyung who was busy talking about his progress with Hyuna.

"You guys think I should say it to her? soon? or I should wait longer?", Byunghun-hyung was worried about confessing in front of Hyuna.
"Soon~!", I said mischievously. It became tiring about how he talked nothing but Hyuna lately. He fell in love like girls.
"Right? Uh, what to do, really... It's my first time", said Byunghun-hyung, looking down and blushing.
"Just looked into her eyes and say you want her to be yours", said Jonghyun with serious face.
"Yah, Jonghyun, don't say like you had it before", I said.
"But it's true, hyung, you saw that a lot in movies and dramas too, right? You should be like in control, be a man", Jonghyun tapped Byunghun-hyung's back.
"Of course... ah, but... ah, really", Byunghun-hyung looked outside, biting his lips, tried to contain his giggle. I never fell in love before, I didn't know how does it feel like to be happy just thinking about one person.
"Hey, could I have a bite of your burger?", I asked.
"Uhm? yeah sure sure", Byunghun-hyung handed me his burger. I bit almost a half of it. See, he didn't even care about his food.
"How Hyuna feels about you? is she giving a positive signal?", I was picking out the pickles from the burger and had another bite.
"Yeah, she is. We talked a lot in class and in text messages, I think we match each other so well. Hahahaha", Byunghun-hyung laughed awkwardly.
"Hummm... she's really pretty though, and friendly like you said", I said. Then the bar scene flashed into my mind. Should I tell Byunghun-hyung about it, I thought. But he seemed very determined about his love. He probably wouldn't care anyway, he'd think that he'll fix her.

The bell finally rang, forced us to departed ways once again. It had been awhile that we didn't hang out in our little palace in the forest. So, on the day after, I skipped one class to went there. I rode my bike comfortably, sneaking through the side gate that few knew, because the bushes already swallowed it up. I didn't know why was I skipping class that time, maybe because earlier in the morning Bosung personally told me that he needed extra money to take some Saturday classes. Or simply because it was Physics class...

I went up to the tree house and noticed a pair of shoes in front of its closed door. Who is it, I wondered... it wasn't Byunghun-hyung's or Jonghyun's. Could it be Changhyun?. I opened the door carefully and spotted a small face lied on our pillows, reading an Algorithm book. It was Lee Chanhee. Very irritating, I had my head in a mess then I should witness a stranger sneaked into my palace. It wasn't my Jonghyun, it wasn't my Byunghun-hyung, it was this prince like presence.

"YAH! what are you doing here?!", I yelled at him, all yesterday courtesy when we both introduced by Byunghun-hyung just gone.
"Oh, hi, I'm studying", he casually showed me his book.
"It's my tree house, I don't want you here. For ones who want to enter this tree house, they should be invited", I said, giving him threatening stare.
"I invite myself. You didn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter