Cruel Summer

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyung... are you asleep?", Jonghyun shook Byunghun-hyung's body as he rested his head on the desk. Here we were at the library again.
"Hyung...", Jonghyun shook harder.
"Hnnn", Byunghun-hyung moaned and raised his head, he tried to opened his eyes.
"Yah, you look so pale, hyung", said Jonghyun.
"It must be the heat, the heat", I said. Byunghun-hyung dehydrated so easily, he rarely went out in summer. That was his excuse when he contributed so little in our tree house though.
"Ah, I should study", Byunghun-hyung opened his book and started to read a big book full with medical terms.

Not even 5 minutes passed, he was resting on the desk again.
"Hyung, isn't it better to go home?", I suggested. He was too tired after taking the bus and walking in piercing heat that summer.
"I'm alright...", he whined.
Me and Jonghyun just looked at each other in worry. We then back to our books and let Byunghun-hyung slept for a moment, the aircon in library was pretty refreshing anyway.

"Why am I not smart enough?", Byunghun-hyung suddenly mumbled.
"Eh?", me and Jonghyun looked at him.
"I think I can't be a good doctor. I'm so lacking in everything. I couldn't score high enough to become the top 5 spot, how could I enter Oxford?", he mumbled once again.
"Oxford? hyung? are you alright, really?", I started to worry at his state of mind.
"My dad went to Oxford. I need to go to Oxford too", said Byunghun-hyung, gathered his strength to support himself up.
"Does it need to be Oxford?", asked Jonghyun.
"Yah! it's okay! Oxford is okaay....! you just need to work hard. You can do it, hyung, come on", I massaged his shoulders.
Byunghun-hyung just smiled at me. That particular smile was the most worrisome thing for me and Jonghyun. He looked like he was about to die when he smiled with his sad eyes like that, there must be thousands of negative things running on his head.
"Ah, it's lunch time already~! let's eat something, right? you guys haven't eat, right?", I awkwardly tried to lighten up the atmosphere.
"Yeah! aish, so hungry so hungry", Jonghyun took glance at me, thought about the same thing.
Byunghun-hyung looked at us then blankly stared back at his book.

"Hyung, come on. You don't want to study here alone, do you?", said Jonghyun as he pulled books away from Byunghun-hyung's sight and put them back to the shelves.
"Hmm of course not", he said, forced a smile to us.
We then walked to the university cafeteria. Me and Jonghyun bought two big bowls of of noodles. But Byunghun-hyung just drank his orange juice.
"You don't order something to eat? this cafeteria has some delicious foods to try, hyung. Don't waste it", I said.
"I'm not hungry", he said, stirred his juice around.
"You ate so little these days. You can't study with empty stomach", said Jonghyun.
"I don't wanna eat~", Byunghun-hyung whined and rested his head on the table again.

I rolled my eyes. Our baby Byunghunnie was back.
"Yah, what do you want, hyung? I'll order it for you", I said. Sometimes I felt like I was his dad.
"I don't want anything, Niel-ahh... I lost my appetite lately. I couldn't eat anything, I feel so sick", he said.
"You study too hard, hyung, you were awake until 3 AM couple days ago, weren't you?", I said.
"Isn't that dangerous? have you talk to a doctor yet?", asked Jonghyun.
Byunghun-hyung just shook his head. Me and Jonghyun looked at each other and sighed heavily. We once wondered how is it like to have a child one day, then we concluded that it must be like with Byunghun-hyung in his worst mood. He's older than the two of us, but we're always the one who babysit him.

"Jonghyun-ah, let me try yours", I said as I dived my chopsticks into his bowl.
"Yeah, sure", he said.
"Ummm... it's the spicy one isn't it? it's delicious. I should order this instead", I said while chewing his noodles.
"What about yours?", said Jonghyun, dived his chopsticks into mine.
"It's the savory one. Too greasy I guess", I said.
"Mmmm! it tastes good though? I like yours more", he said.
Our conversation seemed to interest Byunghun-hyung, his head went up and he took glances on our bowls.
"Ah, hyung, you want some?", Jonghyun asked.
"I want Niel's", he said as he took the chopsticks out of my hand and took a mouthful on his own.
I just looked at him. He always like that, never asked politely for something, but I already got used to it.
"How was it?", I asked sarcastically.
"It's good", replied Byunghun-hyung short.
"Go on, hyung, you can finish Niel's. He doesn't seem to like it anyway", Jonghyun took the bowl from me and handed it over to Byunghun-hyung.
"Yah, how could... Hyung, you can't eat this, it's too greasy. You should mind your voice", I said, pulling back the bowl to my side.
"Ah, that's right, though", said Jonghyun.
"I'll have yours then", said Byunghun-hyung to Jonghyun.
"Sure. Here", Jonghyun feed Byunghun-hyung a spoonful of noodle.
"I like it", he said with his mouth full.
"You can have it if you want", said Jonghyun, offering his bowl.
"But I want Niel's...", Byunghun-hyung giggled at me.
"Aish. Alright. Take it. I'll buy another meal", I said as I handed him the bowl. I went to the counter once again and bought a jjigae. Byunghun-hyung finally gave up after two mouthfuls of noodles. Leaving plenty amount of leftovers. He then asked for my jjigae instead. He gave up again after just a spoon. He said he felt sick and lied his head back to the table. I felt sorry for him though. Me and Jonghyun ended up force feeding him with our foods so he would at least filled his stomach.

We then decided to go home since Byunghun-hyung didn't look well, we asked him to stay at home and rest, forget his study for awhile. But, as we all expected, Byunghun-hyung insisted that he was totally healthy and took a walk with us. Me and Jonghyun spotted a popsicle stand and excitedly approached it. We bought two popsicles, a melon and a bubblegum while Byunghun-hyung was busy looking for the one he wanted.

"Which one is bet-ter? strawbb-ery or wat uh, wat-ermelon?", Byunghun-hyung struggled with his hoarse throat.
"Yah, hyung, you can't eat this. Your voice, your voice", I said as I took them away from him and put them back to the fridge.
"It's because of your noodle, really", said Jonghyun full with annoyance.
"Uh... that's why. He couldn't eat more of damaging foods", I said, firmly closed the container fridge's lid.
"But I want that", said Byunghun-hyung struggled in front of me to opened back the lid.
"Hyung, it's better not", Jonghyun helped me guard the fridge.

Byunghun-hyung giggled and still tried to opened the lid. But he was just too small to broke our defense. He whined over and over then finally exhaust himself out and backed off. We continue to walk as Byunghun-hyung followed us in silence, still sulking over the popsicle.
"I'll take a cab then", Byunghun-hyung coughed.
"Hm, that's good, you need to rest", I replied.
"Let's wait for it together", said Jonghyun, threw his popsicle package to a garbage bin.
Byunghun-hyung stared longingly at the bin.
I laughed at him; "Hyung, we'll buy a popsicle once your voice fully recovered, okay?", I held his shoulder.
"Tsk", he dodged away and I laughed once again with Jonghyun.
"Aigoo, hyung", Jonghyun couldn't resist to pet his head.
"Ah, that's a cab", I stretched my arm to stopped it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter