That Night And The Morning After

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyung, I saw you sneaked out in the middle of the night many times. Where did you go?"
"Huh? that's big men's business. A kid like you should stay out of it"
"I'll entered junior high soon! yah, I thought you're my hyung"
"I AM your hyung. That's why you should listen to me~"

Meet Bosung. My younger brother. He was little bit nosy about my business, he followed me everywhere when we were younger. He was about to enter the same junior high as mine. In a town as small as this we didn't have many choices though.

"Hyung, is it a girl?. Ah, I must be right! you're meeting your girlfriend in the middle of the night didn't you. How is she like?", Bosung bombarded me with questions.
I hit his head lightly.
"Don't be such a smartass", I said.
"Ouch. Yah, hyung, why didn't you tell me then?", he still insisted.
"Did you feel nervous about junior high?", I asked, tried to change the topic.
"Hum, I kinda nervous about the entrance money", he said, blunt as always.
"Huh? why was that?", I said, paused my eating for a moment, the rice were still inside my mouth.
"Mom didn't tell you? the entrance money went up a lot since you entered it 3 years ago, apparently it became a favorite school now. And um, you'll have new semester soon, won't you? Things kinda complicated", he said, still comfortably eating.
"Mom told this matter to you? face to face?", I asked.
"Uh, no. I overheard mom's conversation with dad and David-hyung", said Bosung.
"Yah. You sneaky kid", I chuckled.
"I'm fine though, I can enter next year. Not really a problem", said Bosung.

My heart hollowed heard what he just said. Bosung is a good kid. I'm always happy that I could have a dongsaeng like him. I should do something about this situation. Mom was working, even on weekend like today. My dad was a Reverend in local church, he used to have a little business back when I was really young, but he went bankrupt. My oldest brother, David, went to work in Seoul, he sometimes sent us some money, but with two student children, it was never enough. Thank God my family was so full with positive energy, our parents never taught us to dwell in difficulties.
I petted his head; "I'll figure something out. You don't have to sacrifice yourself. Don't waste your age", I said.
"Hyung~! you won't sacrifice your semester instead will you? seriously, if that what you would do, I'll runaway!", said Bosung dramatically.
"Hahaha... where would you go?", I asked.
"I don't know. To the place that hyung always went to every night", he brought our initial topic once again.
"Bosung-ah, don't tell mom, alright?", I said.
He chuckled; "Of course, hyung, do I look like a snitch?"
"That's my boy", I ruffled his hair.

I rode my bike to the forest. Jonghyun was calling me that morning, wanted me to went over the tree house. It was a rare thing, Jonghyun calling us. He never called before. It was either me, or, of course, Byunghun-hyung. Not that Jonghyun never bored or had no issues, he just loved to do things on his own. Like when he enthusiastically told us his plan;

"An alien hunt?!", Byunghun-hyung glared at Jonghyun's request.
"Yeah. I need you guys to accompanied me tonight, according to UFO hunters' forum, today there will be sighting right in this forest! could you guys believe that?!. It's here in our forest!", his eyes widen out. What an unusual sight.
"Heol~ how did they know that?", I said, still questioning his state of mind.
"Because today Mars and Jupiter are in one line, couple years before, when this happened, in Nevada desert where they're exactly in line with Jupiter and Mars' meeting, they saw a big UFO emerged from the horizon...", Jonghyun then explained us the detailed information about weather temperatures and such. Things that I couldn't really understand. Not that it wasn't not interesting, I just didn't get it.
"A-alright-alright... the point is they will land here? tonight?", I said, cutting his explanation.
"Yeah... according to the coordination, it's around there, near the douglas fir area", said Jonghyun, pointing his finger out of the window.
"Douglas fir?! that's way inside the forest", said Byunghun-hyung.
"Of course. But that's our usual hiking route...", said Jonghyun, still calmly persuading.

Me and Byunghun-hyung looked at each other. Jonghyun is always so determined about everything. Even with strange hobby like UFOs. He actually believe it, whole-heartedly.
"Jonghyun-ah, are you for real?", asked Byunghun-hyung.
"I am. I believe they'll come tonight", he said.
"Yah, how could you be so sure? you never see them before, don't you", I said.
Jonghyun just looked at me with that intense stare. Then he smiled.
"Hyung, you're Christian, aren't you?", asked Jonghyun.
"Yeah", I answered short.
"Is it because your dad's a Reverend?", asked Jonghyun again.
"No. Because I believe in God", I said.
"Of course. that's me and alien. Aren't you taught to believe even you haven't see it?", said Jonghyun.
I chuckled. Jonghyun always pointed out sensitive matter like this, even tough it was true, it made the situation rather awkward. For Jonghyun, it was always about saying something meaningful or didn't say anything at all.
"Come on you both. It's our pledge to never refused one's request isn't it?. No matter how~"
"Ridiculous and impossible it might be", I continued.
"It's quite interesting though, I'm in", said Byunghun-hyung, gave us his chicken grin.

"Great! met you guys at 8 tonight? let's hope for a clear sky", said Jonghyun.
"I'm not really sure about that", Byunghun-hyung walked to the window, watching the grey cloud hanging in the sky.
"How if it was raining? will the UFO still come?", asked Byunghun-hyung.
"I guess so", answered Jonghyun short.
"What is it gonna do here in Korea?", I asked Jonghyun.
"Of course doing experiments on us. They wanted to know what we're made of, you see, if you think about it, we have mutual curiosity towards each other. I think if we could find a way to communicate, it will be a lot easier...", said Jonghyun, an excited smile reluctant to leave his ever serious face.
I chuckled.
"Yeah, I'm sure about that. Ah, I saw an alien programme days ago, in History channel!", I suddenly remember.
"That alien guy?", Jonghyun replied.
"Ah, I know that alien guy, he's a meme on the internet", Byunghun-hyung left the sky alone and joined our conversation once again. Then we talked a lot about aliens. Jonghyun shared some weird facts about Roswell incident, about how Asians are probably alien descendants, and before we realized it, we that once skeptical about this mission came out as believers.

So there I was, at 9 PM, walking with Jonghyun to the douglas fir area uphill. And I won't forget to mention that it was raining hard that night, but we're so insisted to going up there. Byunghun-hyung didn't show up for almost an hour, I called him but there was no answer. I thought maybe he was just lazy to walk into the forest in this weather. To think about it now, it was such a dangerous action, though we were familiar with the route, it was dark and slippery.

After 30 minutes of hike we finally reach the spot that J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter