Christmas

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byunghun-hyung lived in this elite area near downtown. He was a privileged kid. His dad was a famous surgeon that once saved the minister's son. His mom was a CEO in furniture retail business. His older brother was two years above him. Went to study in the US since junior high, he was the tall, smart, outgoing hyung that Byunghun-hyung always depend on. He was very sad when he should separated with his hyung when his parents started their war three years ago. It was like, Byunghun-hyung owned by his father in Korea and his hyung was owned by his mother in US. Adults are really stupid, aren't they? are they blind, how hard is it to see that those two kids only want to have a happy family instead being an asset of battle between their parents.

I picked out my mobile and started to call him. We finally in front of his house, the minimalistic grey house with wood paneling decorated its terrace. It was really quiet, not even an exhale heard. Were his parents on truce right now?. Byunghun-hyung's room was on the second floor, facing the street where I was standing. I tapped my foot repeatedly. Jonghyun and I stare at each other and share the same exact worried expression.

"Hyung, please answer!!!", I yelled to the window.
"Yah! what are you doing!", Jonghyun hit my back.
"I can't wait no more. This is too frustrating, even more frustrating than waiting for UFO yesterday~", I said, biting my lips as my mind racing; Did Byunghun-hyung cut his wrists right now? ah, damn. I watched too many teenage angst films with him. Or he planned a suicide? he's... he's writing the note right now~!.

I walked back and forth.
"What should we do?!!", I messed my hair.
"Call him again", said Jonghyun.
"Tsk. This hyung...", I picked my mobile once again.
"Aaah~ this is useless", I said. I ran to the fence and climbed up the garage roof, to Byunghun-hyung's window. That was how he manage to went out every night.

"Yah! Niel! what the are you doing!!", Jonghyun squeaked at me.
I waved my hand, gave him sign to climbed up as well.
"This is someone's house!", he whispered as he jumped to the garage roof. I peeped into Byunghun-hyung's room. He was there in the corner, watching the empty wall in front of him. I knocked the glass window, and he shocked to see me and Jonghyun outside. He wiped his tears and open the window hesitantly.

"What the hell are you guys doing?!", he said with annoyed face, but yet his voice was still trembled.
I grabbed his hands right away and checked his wrists. They were fine.
"What? why?!", he pulled his hands out of my grip.
"N-no... it's just... hyung! you're fine aren't you?", I said, try to not saying something stupid.
Byunghun-hyung just stared blankly at me.
"Come on", Jonghyun reached Byunghun-hyung's hand to follow us outside.
He knew he didn't wanna stay inside right now. So he agreed to join us. We took a walk in silence.

No one would brought it up first. It was rather awkward moment, Jonghyun then decided to babble about our encounter with alien last night. But Byunghun-hyung showed little reaction. On a headline that filling the local newspaper like that... he was usually so full with curiosity. Not today. I could see how his eyes were still wet. Not that Jonghyun didn't notice it. He tried his best to cheered his hyung... We walked through the stores downtown, inside and out random shop. Just sightseeing and commented at random things. Watching strangers from a park bench and laughed at their slight oddities.
"It's getting really cold", Byunghun-hyung looked up to the grey sky. It was December, Christmas was in the corner.
"Wanna went in somewhere? maybe some tteokpokki down there?", I pointed to the stall in the corner of the street.
"Um...", Byunghun-hyung leaned his back.
"Watch some movies?", asked Jonghyun.
Byunghun-hyung shook his head. What are we gonna do, really. When he was sulky like this, it was so hard to shake it off.
"Ah, I know! game center!", I said.
"I hate games!", yelled Jonghyun.
"That's your problem, me and Byunghun-hyung is so good at it, right, hyung?", I turned my head to Byunghun-hyung that sat between me and Jonghyun.
"No, ah, I don't like game center". Jonghyun sighed.
"Jonghyun-ah, it's time to learn something new", Byunghun-hyung finally smiled.
"Aish, really. It's not that I can't be good at it, I just hate it. It's wasting time!", said Jonghyun, defending himself.
Byunghun-hyung laughed at him. Finally, that bright face emerged.
"You're just not good at it. Come on", I keep adding things up to tease Jonghyun.
"Want to die?!", the sudden burst of anger came out from Jonghyun. It's been his habit for awhile.
"Whoa whoa, so scary. Jonghyun-ah, don't do that ever again, I'm shocked!", Byunghun-hyung hit Jonghyun's back lightly. Jonghyun giggled then his eyes wondered to the stores across the street.
"Hey... let's decorate our tree house! let's buy Christmas decorations!", said Jonghyun full with excitement.
"That sounds great~ wait, do we have a Christmas tree?", asked Byunghun-hyung.
"We could chopped the douglas fir~", said Jonghyun, took a glance on me.
"No! no! really, don't make me go back to that place", the word "douglas fir" only sent chills down my spine.
"Why? Ah, of course your previous alien encounter", said Byunghun-hyung.
"Yeah, hyung, it was really scary. I didn't know was I dreaming, was that reality? what is this bench? is this for real? is hyung real?", I hold Byunghun-hyung's face and squeezed it.
"Mwo yaaa~~!", he dogdged away and we laughed.
"The aliens should just took you both", said Byunghun-hyung.
"Aaayyyyy hyung, you will be sad when we're not around", I said.
He laughed and leaned his back once again. He put his hands inside his coat pocket and stare straightly to the street.

"Really... if you guys not around... I don't know. Maybe I'm cutting my wrists right now, just like in the movies", he said faintly.
I tried not to laugh. That was exactly what was I thinking before.
"Sometimes I wondered... why troubled kids in movies always the same, cutting their wrists, distancing themselves, being emo all the time... I thought, how stupid it is. It hasn't to be that way, you know. I can have a normal life, I still hang out and have fun with my friends, I thought...", Byunghun-hyung continued.
"But today. I don't know why. Maybe it was because now some glass furniture shattered somewhere, or maybe because mom and dad swore at each other more than usual, I felt depressed. Confined in my room, not able to do a single thing. It was their fight, not mine. It gave you an uncomfortable feeling, right? that time when people fight, not just your parents... your best friends, even strangers on the bus. Aren't they the same? maybe that's why I'm really sad, isn't it? it's just generally uncomfortable", Byunghun-hyung chuckled. He still stared straightly to the street.
"It's your parents. It's normal to be sad, hyung. They're the ones you know since you were born into this world. Aren't family the first bonding formed for any individual? when it broke, your fundamental necessities are shattered within", I said.
Byunghun-hyung looked above and closed his eyes, not letting any tears fall.
"But we're here for you. Mending that shattered foundation, build strong structure for you to stand on", I said.
Byunghun-hyung giggled at my words.
"That sounds really cool, huh", I amazed at myself and looked at Jonghyun that tried so hard to pull a serious face and nodded at me.
"We'll be your Olympic Hall", said Jonghyun, full of agreement.
"Yah, what's thaaaat! Olympic Hall?! you ruined my words~!", I hit Jonghyun.
Then Byunghun-hyung round his arms on both of us from behind.
"Let's buy some Christmas decorations, my two Olympic Halls", he said as he squeezed our shoulders.

"Why Olympic Hall though?", I still questioned Jonghyun's answer as we dive our hands on one Christmas decoration container.
"That's where Giant Sadness and Lovers' live held before. I went to watch them last July, remember?", said Jonghyun.
"Giant Sadness and Lovers? what the hell is that?!", I asked.
"That's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter