Niel-hyung

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite the heat that summer, I pedaled my bike just to visit Byunghun-hyung in the hospital. I had so many things going on in my head as my family opposed my decision to study literature. Even they didn't break in anger, I knew it from the way the smiled awkwardly and whispered through my ears; "Isn't it better to go for management in public university?" or "You know that Gyeongju community college around the corner? I heard they have good finance major". I truly understood that my family wanted the best for me and being a writer wasn't the most promising career out there, but writing was the only thing I wanted to do.

"Byunghun-ahh!", I bursted into his room.
Byunghun-hyung was lying there while switching through channels on tv in front of him. He took a glance on me coldly. He totally hated it when I didn't address him with hyung.
"Ehehehehe... how's your voice?", I asked while picked out one popsicle out of my shopping bag.
I opened it in front of him and it deliciously. It was strawberry flavored, his favorite.
"Yah. Get lost!", he yelled with his hoarse voice.
I dodged away as he about to punched me. I took a chair and sat behind him. His face was still pale and a nasal cannula still dangling from his nose.
"When will they release you from here?", I asked.
He cleared his throat and put the tv remote aside; "Two days from now, I guess", he said.
"Whoa, why does it take so long?", I asked.
"They just want to make sure that I rest well", he said.
"Ah of course, you have to", I ruffled his hair.

"I hate wearing these though. My nose is really itchy", Byunghun-hyung poked his nasal cannula.
"Hahaha, you want to pick your nose?", I laughed.
"It's not that~! Well yeah, maybe", Byunghun-hyung giggled.
"Removed it for awhile, is that a problem?", I inspected his nose.
"What are you doing?!", he pushed my head away. "The doctor said I could remove it after my heart rate went normal. He said I need oxygen supply", Byunghun-hyung continued.
"Heol. Your body has so many problems", I said.
"Tsk. I'm fine", he pouted and looked outside the window.

I was still busy my popsicle when Byunghun-hyung put his attention back to the tv. I picked up my mobile and played with it. Every situation grew boring when people started to picking up their mobile. I checked on Twitter and people were still mentioned me about what Byunghun-hyung posted days ago, my ugly face eating in cafeteria. He will pay for this, I thought. Byunghun-hyung stretched his arms and yawned as I pointed my camera on him and voila. I got it.

Byunghun seemed to noticed it and tried to snatched my mobile. He got the glimpse of his yawning
picture.
"I'm gonna upload this", I giggled.
“Niel, don’t upload it for God sake!”, he yelled and coughed hard.
“Should I asked you to do something...?", I took a glance on him mischievously.
"Don't play with me", he cleared his throat while still held on to my arm.
"Call me Niel-hyung then”, I stood up and released my arm.
“Aish! In your dream. Gimme that!”, Byunghun-hyung tried to snatched my phone again but I was too agile for him who lied helplessly on the bed
“Come on… call me hyung”, I chuckled.
“Hell no! what’s wrong with you?!”, Byunghun-hyung coughed once again.
“You’re the one who started it, you uploaded my ugly eating face on Twitter”, I protested.

“No one sees it”, he sighed.
“Yeah? YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT? Hyung, since you went out with Hyuna your followers tripled, alright. The whole school saw it”, I exclaimed.

“Alright alright, Niel-hyung! There. I said it. Happy now?”, he took a deep breath.
“Ehehehehe… you’re late, I already uploaded iiiit”, I smirked.
“Son of a ! You’re evil fish demon!”, Byunghun-hyung smacked my  with a pillow.
“Whoa, fish demon… that gave me story ideas… Dani The Fish Demon and Honey The Weak Kid”
“What the hell is that? Is it supposed to be me and you?”, Byunghun-hung chuckled.
“No… why so self-conscious”, I raised my eyebrows mischievously.
“Heol. Your story idea sounds stupid”, Byunghun-hyung pouted.
“Yah, hyung, in this story I’m the one who will be a great writer in the future. Who are you?”

Byunghun-hyung just stared at me and laughed.

“Anyway, it’s not the first time you called me hyung, do you remember that?”, I put my phone back to my pocket and Byunghun-hyung sneered, didn't really like what I was about to remind him.
"It was back when...", I started.
"Ahh mollayo molla molla molla", Byunghun-hyung covered his ears tight. I laughed so hard until no sound came out from my mouth.

It was back when I first met Byunghun-hyung, I was about 8 and he was about 9. He just moved in to the town I guess. The school hadn't started, the spring came quite early that time and he was there playing alone in the park, throwing rocks to the forest beyond. He was so tiny but with his ever frowning face I was hesitant at first. I rode my bike like always, I usually had a meeting with my friends every morning, but I guess everyone was on holiday that time, visiting relatives.

So, instead of playing alone like a fool, I approached him.
"Hey, kiddo~ what are you doing throwing rocks to the forest? you will kill some animals", not the most pleasing opening lines, but I guess I was really tight that time because I had no friends to play with.
"Huh? who are you?!", he looked at me with hostile stare.
"I'm Daniel. You?", I introduced myself. He didn't want to answer me at first but after awhile he finally looked back at me; "I'm Byunghun", he said with his frowning face.
"I've never seen you before", I said as I got off from my bike.
"I just moved here two da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter