January

Kings Of The Forest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That day was a cold winter day. It was Saturday and just two days after that, we will have another mid test. We promised ourselves to study the subjects, but... it's us. We ended up playing around.

"Ah, this portable heater saved us", said Byunghun-hyung, sat right beside it.
Around that Christmas, we asked the ranger ahjussi to give us some electricities. Me and Jonghyun were kinda friends with him since the alien incident. Finally he helped us to connect the electricity from his cabin to our place.

"Eeh.. Tarantino canceled his new film after his script leaked. Damn this people.. aah this is annoying", Byunghun-hyung scrolled his Twitter timeline and whined over his all time favorite director, Quentin Tarantino.
"Hum.. his Django was rather flat for me. I don't know if I want to watch another Western from him", I said.
"Ah. You're the only one who think that way. It won Oscars! The reviews are all great!", he said.
"Nah. I better wait for Nolan's Interstellar", I said
"Nolan didn't make any good films after Memento...", he said.
"Huh?! His morality is far better than Tarantino's all bloody for nothing filmmaking", I replied.
"Seriously? He's not even a director. He's an auteur", said Byunghun-hyung, didn't want to lose to me.

"Guys... Ingmar Bergman is waaaay better than any of those kids", Jonghyun came in, mediating our little dispute. Ingmar Bergman... what should I say about it. Though the three of us watch any kind of movies, I have inclination towards the blockbusters, Byunghun-hyung loves indie films, Jonghyun, well, only love the Cult Classic. Byunghun-hyung first downloaded The Seventh Seal and forced us to watch it with him. It was 2 hours of philosophical absurdities. I gave up after 15 minutes and Byunghun-hyung gave up after an hour. But Jonghyun finished it and even, LOVED it. Since then I didn't know what else he was downloading. I knew he finished the whole Bergman's filmography, though.

"Ah!. Hyuna followed me!", squealed Byunhhun-hyung, still busy with his Twitter.
"Eh? Kim Hyuna? THAT Kim Hyuna?!", said Jonghyun, disbelieved.
"Yeah her. I met with Chanhee in cinema yesterday, watching The Conjuring. And he was being friendly since he went there alone too", said Byunghun-hyung.
"Yah. Hyung, you always watch films alone", said Jonghyun.
"You guys never available when I asked you out", he protested.
"Lieees. You never ask in the first place", I said.

"Hahaha. Anyway. We chatted along and we happened to sit side by side. Then after we finished the film, he met with his friends and.. Hyuna was there. And you know, she was very nice", said Byunghun-hyung excitedly.
"Really?", me and Jonghyun amazed at his words. Because this Kim Hyuna we talked about is the school's queenka. She's the iest, prettiest girl that everyone dreamed about. But of course she had some reputations. She once caught smoking pot and issues about her having affairs with multiple men were well acknowledged. But the school couldn't do much since her father is the main investor for the school's foundation.

"Hyuna didn't came up as snobbish or y like I thought she would. But rather friendly and warm. Now I understand why guys swoon over her. We talked about many things, she lively talked about her current events. And Chanhee was surprisingly fun too. We never really talked in 10th grade...", said Byunghun-hyung.
Lee Chanhee. Our student council president. He was the prince of our highschool. Beside his beautiful face, he was also a straight A student. He never miss the top 10 spot in school's highest score. But weirdly enough, he wasn't a nerd, not at all. He was in Hyuna's circle of friends, he had the money to spent for that kind of lifestyle, his dad was the CEO of one of the biggest company group in Korea. If the word perfect were created for particular person, he was the one.

"Anyway, next Saturday we're about to hit one club in Seoul. Yah, you two should come with us!", shouted Byunghun-hyung full of excitement.
"Ehh? You and Chanhee?", asked Jonghyun.
"Yeah", answered Byunghun-hyung hesitantly as he avert his eyes back to his mobile.
"Seoul, huh. How do we got there...", I wondered.
"Huum maybe Chanhee will bring his car around?", said Byunghun-hyung.

Me and Jonghyun just looked at each other. Club, Seoul, cars. That time those words were strange to us. Maybe Byunghun-hyung fitted to that lifestyle more. There were reasons why we built tree house in the forest rather than wild out in city jungle.

"I never went clubbing in my life, so I want to give it a try hahaha", Byunghun-hyung laughed awkwardly.
Though we never discussed it, I realized how me and Byunghun-hyung came from different background. I never know how it feels like to spent money without second thoughts. My family was struggling with money for their children education, how could I went to the club and spent a week allowance for some booze.

"Argh! I won't do that ever again. Sorry", someone's squeal suddenly heard from distance. The three of us rushed to the window and search where did it came from.

"Yah! You want to die?", another yell came.
Jonghyun grabbed our binoculars and spotted three guys were surrounding a student just outside the forest entrance.
"Heol, it's Changhyunnie", said Jonghyun.
"Who?", I asked.
"Changhyun, he's my neighbor, just moved in last week. Yah, I know he's the type that will get bullied", said Jonghyun.
"What does that even supposed to mean??", I chuckled.
"Tsk. I'll go and save him", said Jonghyun, rushed downstair.
"Yah, we didn't even know who those three guys are~", said Byunghun-hyung, but still followed Jonghyun.
I nodded at hyung's words. Jonghyun stopped and stared at us; "If you guys didn't want to involve in this then fine, I'll go by myself".
"Alright. We'll stay here", I said and Byunghun-hyung giggled.

"Just wait for me", Jonghyun chuckled and ran like a fox.
It's not that me and Byunghun-hyung were cold hearted. We just didn't see how could both of us helped the poor Changhyunnie. We couldn't fight those three guys. Hahaha, Jonghyun was the only one whom we could depend on for that kind of thing back then. We then back to our comfy tree house, exchanged the binoculars and watched Jonghyun talked the three guys calmly. They pushed Jonghyun hard but he just stand there and lifted his arms as they kept

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter