First revelation

The Snow Prince

Ryosuke returned to his fortress with Daiki's accompany. Daiki watched Ryosuke closely as he knew something is wrong with him. every step Ryosuke took is painstaking, and Daiki noticed how the snow around his footsteps are melting.

"sir~" Umika ran towards them as soon as they stepped into the fortress. she was worried sick about his saviour who is obviously injured because of the trickery she fell into. Being stuck with Yuri in the fortress isn't helping since he's even more worried for Ryosuke than she is. In fact, she felt confused as to how she should see Ryosuke, as a saviour or as someone who is gonna kill her soon. but the reality is that he did save her or she would have died horribly, according to Yuri who explained the curse on the ice dagger.
 
the curse must have been really strong or it couldn't have injure the mighty strong prince so much. Even after the energy transfer to him, Umika can sense something is wrong with him.
 
"Ryosuke? you're burning up! look~" Yuri pointed at the snow around melting slowly, and Umika quickly ran up and placed her hand on his forehead.
 
"I said don't touch me" Ryosuke pushed her back furiously.
 
"he's running a fever!" she ignored Ryosuke's anger and alerted his 2 minions.
 
"yeah, no wonder the surroundings is reacting to his heat. this is not the good time to fall sick, Ryosuke. it must be the side effects of the curse" Daiki added.
 
Ryosuke gave Umika a deadly stare as if implying that she's at fault, which she took it in since that's the truth.
 
"if the werewolves sense his weakness, they'll attack our territory. we can't let them find out" Yuri added.
 
"there are bound to find out. it's just a matter of time."
 
"I'll think of something." Ryosuke uttered weakly and staggered his way to his ice bed.
"er... I have a suggestion," Umika hesitated but she thought she owed him a big favor, and whatever he has done now for her is nothing but keeping her safe, so she realised she can't stand by and do nothing to help him.
 
Ryosuke laughed sarcastically as though it's a joke. well, Umika did expect this reaction since she's like a noob here who know nuts about any of the things or people living in this compound, and yet trying to give a suggestion to the rulers of this land.
 
She shrank after his sarcastic remark as she didnt wanna make a joke out of herself but the 2 minions on the other hand were curious about what she had to say.
 
"Ryosuke, just listen to her. it's just an additional opinion. it doesn't hurt to listen" Daiki advised. Ryosuke shrugged but listened anyway.
 
"my suggestion is... to hide in town until the fever subsides. I have my reasons for this. werewolves, I presume, don't exist outside this cold forest, so there's no where else safer than where I stay since they won't detect your presence. another reason is, recuperation is much faster outside where it is much more conducive than here in the freezing cold."
 
There was a long pause of silence... Umika remained quiet after her suggestion as she couldn't get a sense of what they feel about her ideas, though she's almost sure they think it's stupid. they just stood motionless as though they were deep in their thoughts.
 
"Ryosuke, that makes total sense" Yuri broke the silence, after what seemed like forever.
 
"I agree with Yuri. she may be your prey, but this could be the best idea ever" Daiki seconded Yuri's opinion.
 
With his continued stern expression, Ryosuke took Umika by her collar and pulled her close to him.
 
"If you try anything funny, I'll crush your bones on the spot. I've been kind to you thus far, but if you disobey me once more like this time or test my patience, I will not hesitate to take your life immediately regardless of how useful you are. I am weak now only to the werewolves, but to kill you, I have more than enough energy. my powers are not limited within the forest, so don't think you can escape. I'll hunt you down if you do"
 
Umika was shaking because of his intimidating stare. Out of Fear or admiration, she doesn't know but the close proximity always make her heart pump fast and adrenaline rush. his facial features become even more gorgeous and captivating when in such minimal physical distances that she is failing over him. his sweet breath from his attractive lips always dulls her senses, causing her to undergo slight hyperventilation everytime he comes close.
 
"Yuri, Daiki. Watch over everything here for me. I'll be back in at most 3 days.if the Queen asks for me, just tell her the truth. one more thing, if she asks about her, do not give her the wrong impression....reassure her that she's my captive and nothing more." his last instruction left her in mild confusion as she felt there's a hidden meaning behind it.
 
"don't worry~" both his minions bowed and before she could clear her doubts, she was literally dragged by her collar and led out of the forest.
 
*********
"I can walk myself. it's not like there's anywhere to run so you don't have to be paranoid that I try to escape. your threat is more than convincing," Umika said frustratedly. Ryosuke looked at her for a while and then decided to let go. By then, they were already outside the forest, into the town. He realised that he's gonna look very unnatural if he continues to treat her like a captive. besides, she's going to be very useful given her familiarity with navigating around town.
 
" isn't there anything you consume to subside the fever?"
 
"~ y-yes. do you want me to get it?" she was stunned by his question cause ever since she was in his hands, he never asked her for anything. 
 
"are you seriously asking me this question?! you said it yourself, it's more conducive to recuperate here, so I expect you to host my stay," he remarked with slight frustration which angered Umika a little. 
 
"okay. there's a pharmacy round the corner. I'll go get it, wait here for me." she walked a few steps and realised something else.'
 
"oh, this street is quite notorious for underground triads so we should get out of here as soon as possible. just saying, in case you come by any"
 
instead of a nod, he gave a smirk and a obnoxious reply that irked her beyond words.
 
"it's nothing worth mentioning dear. they should be the one counting their blessings if they bump into me"
 
She ignored and ran towards the convenience store. Actually, she believed that Ryosuke trusts her or he will not have let her out of his sight. although, it could also be that he is really confident that if she did try to escape, it'll be easy to hunt her down. whatever it is, she knew she does not stand a chance of escaping, so it didn't cross her mind once that she can run away. 
 
"can I have a box of paracetamol and cold medicine?" she asked the pharmacist and within seconds, she got what she wanted. She exited the door only to have her path obstructed by a pack of 5 older boys dressed in skulls and biker jackets.
 
"hey pretty girl, where are you going? I see you are not feeling well... let us bring you home." they surrounded her, leaving her no room for escape.
 
"s-sorry. I can go home myself. I n-need to go now," she stammered as she felt her life being endangered again. She cursed herself for being an epitome of bad luck. it just seemed like everything unfortunate is drawn to her like a magnet.
 
She tried to force her way through a small gap, but they didnt budge. instead they started giving her intimate touches on her face and shoulder, and finally binding her arms behind her back.
 
"LET ME GO!!!!" one of the guys forced a kiss on her. She sealed her lips tightly but he still manages to break through and enter her cavern. 
 
"R-yo-su-kee!" she don't know why she called out to her predator but he's the only one who surfaced in her mind. he's probably happy to see her in agony and distress - she thought.
 
"how pathetic can humans get~you lost your bet again, Umika. humans are worst than beast~" Ryosuke stood in the background and watched her suffer. She looked at him with such sorrowful eyes that he felt a cringe in his heart.
 
why is that look on her face so familiar~ why does it remind me of her? no, she's not her.
 
He shut his eyes from the scene. The voices of struggles and the laughter overwhelmed his senses and he finally erupted.
 
"I'll say once. let go of her, or you'll regret." Umika felt a surge of relief and gratitude when he stepped out for her once again.
 
"ah, who do you think you are, boy? we can snap your bones anytime, so back off" one of the boys gave Ryosuke a strong push but to his horror, Ryosuke stood firm on his feet and responded with a smirk.
 
Ryosuke grabbed the hands of the guys who were holding on to hers and twisted their hands backwards causing them to scream in pain.
 
"I warned you guys" the two guys fell on their feet as soon as Ryosuke released their hands, though there's probably a few broken bones.
 
"you!!!" another 2 of the guys attacked next, but with a gentle wave of Ryosuke's hands, they flew towards both sides of the walls and slammed hard, knocking them semi-unconscious instantly.
 
"w-who are you?" the one who ually offended Umika backed away after seeing his comrades fall one by one. Ryosuke walked towards him, and the last guy felt chills running down his spine.
 
"I-I'm sorry... I w-won't do it again."
 
Ryosuke didn't respond to his pleas, but continued to approach him. The guy retreated backwards until he reached a dead end. He continued to beg, even kneeling down but to no avail. Umika watched from around the corner, and she regretted seeing the scene.
 
Ryosuke's eyes shines as he looked at him. The guy who was kneeling down, suddenly stood up and remained motionless. then the next part was all too familiar to Umika. Ryosuke brought his lips close to him and then she saw the thin white smoke transferring from his mouth into Ryosuke's. As the transfer continues, she saw the guy becoming frail, to the extend that she saw his wrinkled, dying complexion. Ryosuke, on the other hand, glowed. Finally, the guy turned into an ice statue, just like those in the forest of dooms where Miku and Suzuka were imprisoned.
 
She was shivering in fear as she, for the first time, saw her predator feeding on his prey. She has to admit that no matter how hard she warns herself, she kept letting her guard down because he has been saving her life. but after she saw his killer instinct right before her eyes, she is more sure of her uncertain fate. 
 
She tripped over the curb when she backed away the instant the ruthless killer refocused his attention on her. She noticed his eyes still shining. She knew this isn't the time to be staring at his hypnotic eyes, but it's so captivating she can't divert her attention from it.
 
He approached her and her heart pumps fast. She thought she's gonna die since his killing mode is activated, but instead he stretched out his hand towards her.
"be patient, it's not your time yet," he pulled her up and that instant she felt an electrifying feeling run through her veins that made her blush. she should be feeling fearful from his threat but she felt shy from his touch. maybe she has grown used to his threatening lines and intimidating scares. 
 
the gory scene couldn't get out her mind. throughout their journey to her house, he just followed behind her silently. 
 
"why is it that I didn't become like that when you extract my energy out the past 2 times?" she asked timidly.
 
".... unless I draw your energy right to the last bit, or you'll not end up like that." she thought he's not gonna answer again, but he did after a while, and it didnt sound like he's reluctant to answer. 
 
"so you deliberately left behind some energy in me for me to regain my energy?.. others can't recuperate like I do?"
 
"enough. there's no need for me to answer you" she sighed at his response. she recalled him telling the Queen that she's different because she could regain her energy by herself, but can't others do that? why is it only her? she believed it's just an excuse so the Queen doesn't kill her, but she really ain't sure. she wanted to know the truth.
 
"we've reached." she's surprised that he was the one who said before she even stop her feet.
 
"h-how did you know my house?"
 
"then how do you think you could end up in class with your books and everything else that day~"
 
this proves to her once more that it's futile to try escaping. he knew everything about anyone under his fingertips. 
 
"damn~ my grandma. what am I gonna say to her? I disappeared for at least a week!"
 
"in her eyes, you didn't disappear at all... she won't even notice your disappearance"
 
"you charmed her?!" she raised her voice slightly, only to be pushed aside by him.
 
"well, I could kill her instead~"
 
"nooo, p-please" she ran up and grab his arms as he was about to open the door to her house.
 
before he flamed at her for touching him, the door swung open and an old lady stood before them.
 
"grandma!" Umika disregarded Ryosuke who was standing next to her, and threw her arms over the old lady.
 
"what's the matter with you, girl? your boyfriend will be jealous" her grandma winked at Ryosuke.
 
"w-what? my b-boyfriend? he's my...." she almost revealed the truth that will send her grandma into her graves.
 
"boyfriend~... good evening, grandma, if you're fine with me calling you that? or do you prefer me calling you with proper honorifics?" Ryosuke is unusually polite that shocked Umika. She never expected him to claim possession over her in that way, she thought he's gonna be resistant against her grandma's blunder, but instead he went along with it.
 
He threw his arm over her shoulder and bent towards her so close that she sense herself falling for his charm again.
 
"i advise that you play along. you're a smart girl... you should know that if your grandma finds out the truth about me or your unfortunate plight, she will be implicated into the mess you created. I'll not be sorry to take her life too" he whispered into her ears while smiling to her grandma.
 
"I love the way you call me now. come in, dear. I've extra food for all of you" 
 
"anyway, what's your name?" Umika was afraid of this question cause she recalled the time she asked. he didnt actually tell her his name either, she heard the way others called him.
 
"Ryosuke~"
 
"nice to meet you Ryosuke" her grandma greeted. Umika pondered why he doesn't divulge his family name. if the snow queen is his mum, then who's his dad? perhaps she fell for one of her victims and gave birth to the snow prince? oooh that's a tragic love story that gave her goosebumps all over.
 
"Umika, you come and help me, while your boyfriend can take a rest first."
 
"thank you grandma. I'll definitely need the short rest." he said. Umika agreed that he seemed a little exhausted. perhaps it's the drastic environment difference.
 
her grandma entered the kitchen first.
 
"w-where are you going?" Umika stopped at her feet as she saw Ryosuke walking upstairs.
 
"your room."
 
"w-what?! my room?!" she never had any guys enter her room before. not even Hikaru, her closest guy friend. 
 
"no no you can't go into my room. you can rest on the sofa. it's comfortable enough" she grabbed his arms again.
 
"nope. I'm gonna rest in your room throughout the three days. wake me up when the food is ready" he stick out his tongue playfully as if to show that he won the argument.
 
Umika was stunned to see him acting childish for the first time. from the start, she thought he is very matured and thoughtful for a guy their age, therefore playfulness doesn't seem to resonate with his image at all. she is sure that he is either the same age as her or a year older, nothing less, nothing more. she finds herself smiling as he turned his back against her and towards her bedroom. 
 
"missy, come and give me a hand and stop spazzing at your boyfriend" she tried to silence her grandma so he doesn't hear about her retarded behaviour.
*********
Ryosuke laid on the soft bed and stared on the celling. it has been a long time since he took a proper rest. ever since Mirai's death, he has drowned himself with his task of guarding the forest from outsiders and the werewolves. he absolutely would not allow himself to make another mistake which leaves him in regrets, for himself, or for those who he cared for.
 
Umika's bed is unusually soft like the snow in his fortress. he thought he could fall asleep immediately but something caught his eye. His arms reached out to a photo album that lie beside the bed.
 
He flipped the pages and found himself absorbed by the happiness captured within the still photos of Umika from birth. he could really sense the genuine happiness from her smiles when she's with her friends, Miku and Suzuka. he felt it's a pity that she trusted her friends too much. 
 
there's very few photos of her with her parents, mainly limited to only 1 page of the album. the last photo of the page is probably taken when she's about 5. he looked at it intensely and ran his fingers on the photo. he shut his eyes and his finger tips glowed. instantly, flashes of her parents' last breathe ran through his brain.
 
he saw two masked men with fierce tattoos on their arms. they pointed their daggers at a family of three. the five year old Umika cried loudly as her parents begged for their attackers' mercy.
 
"it's a pity your friend sold you out to save his own . blame yourself for having such a friend" 
 
Ryosuke realised it's a case of betrayal, a friendship that gone utterly wrong. He unconsciously felt angered by the scene. He clenched his fist and watched on. The merciless attackers stabbed them with the daggers and gorged out the internal organs of their victims, leaving the little girl crying beside the pool of blood. The dagger went straight for the girl next. Without any hesitation, he ran forward and wrapped the girl in his arms. he doesn't understand why did he wanna save her, but it's an unexplained urge. out of pity??
 
"be strong~" he said to the girl on her ears as the dagger went straight for them. A very glaring bright light flashed and the last he heard was little Umika's screams, followed by a soft call.
 
"excuse me~ sir~" he felt someone touch his forehead. his defensive instinct is activated, he grabbed hold of her wrist.
 
"ahhh it's painful! it hurts!" he shut his eyes and disregarded her scream until he's contented. he overcame his weakness in his body and opened his eyes.
"s-sorry. I just wanna check if your fever subsided. but I think it has gotten worst. you are breaking out in cold sweat. I meant no harm."
 
"like as if you could harm me~" he coughed a little as he released her hand. He noticed her reddened wrist but ignored anyway as his mind is disturbed by his action in the flashback. why did I save her - he continued to ponder over the question.
 
she saw her photo album beside him and wondered if he is checking out her background to look for his next prey.
 
she tried to suppress these fear since it's useless. it's probably be wiser to treat him good so he may decide to change his mind about killing her.
 
"dinner is ready. I prepared some porridge for you. after you fill your stomach, you can eat your medicine" she said with some reservation.
 
he tried to stand up and make his way down but his limbs feel weak.
 
"d-do you need me to hold you?" he looked at the flight of stairs and as much as he didnt want to be in physical contact with her, he is afraid that he'll fall over.
 
He froze in position, so she gets his hint that he needed help. She went to his side and grabbed his arms. She can feel her heart beating fast upon the time of contact. it's the first time he has allowed her to touch him and she felt his body temperature radiating through her veins, causing her to blush.
 
"grandma~ please eat" he greeted. he took a mouthful of the porridge, while Umika looked at him in anticipation.
 
"is it nice? "her grandma asked.
 
"it's delicious! the best I've ever eaten! thank you" he continued to gorge down the food as though he  really loves it. Umika is delighted that he likes her food.
 
"Umika prepared it." her grandma explained and Ryosuke turned to Umika with a wide sincere smile that instantly melts her heart. She was captivated and dumbfounded by his smile that shines above everything else. it's the first time she sees his smile and she has to say - he's beyond gorgeous. his eye smile, especially. 
"she'll make a good wife, won't she~ you taught her well" he pat her back which made her blush even further. Looking at him munching on his food happily is enough to distract her from everything else.
********
Umika helped her grandma with the dishes while he took his medicine and returned to her room.
 
"Umika dear~"
 
"y-yes grandma?" she stammered because she was afraid of the questions she'll ask about him, but instead she wasn't asking, but telling.
 
"the boy, he has a lonely heart. you have to show him that there's love in this world."
 
how come it feels like as though she knew what's going on. it can't be.
 
"grandma~ how do u know? he's actually a~"
 
"shh. you don't have to tell me anything girl. all I want you to know is he needs to learn to love and trust. and Umika, grandma may not be by your side to take care of you, so you've to fend for yourself. just one tip, never lose hope that there's love in this world no matter how cold, how despair everything seems."
 
somehow, Umika found comfort in her words. she stopped pondering why her grandma said those stuff which seemed like as though she knew everything that has happened thus far. if Ryosuke charmed her, the charm must have backfired or have screwed up.
 
She returned to her room and was surprised to see Ryosuke sitting in the balcony, staring into the starry night. His backview did reveal a sense of loneliness that gave her a strong urge to throw herself at him. Her grandma seems to be right.
 
What is he thinking about? Is he bothered by something? or is he thinking about someone? 
 
She thought of silently watching him from the back, but she got startled when he spoke, with his back facing her.
 
"The stars are particularly bright at this side of the country, isn't it? The ones seen from the forest are much duller in comparison."
 
"Y-Yes." she let down her guard and daringly sat beside him, joining him in the star-gazing.
There was a long silence. Umika just quietly looked at him as he seemed to be enjoying the peaceful, night breeze. I've seen so many sides of him today ~ the heartless, brutal guy who kills his prey mercilessly; the guy who saved me from the many dangers I faced; the guy who pouted like a kid; the guy who gave me the sweetest smile; the guy who enjoyed the food I prepared; and lastly, the guy who appears so emotional on a night like this. You are really mysterious and so hard to understand. despite his disturbing evil threats and overt hostility, I could feel the pure goodness hidden within you. Which is the real you? 
 
"Umika~"
 
She blushed at the thought that he realised she has been staring at him stupidly.
 
"can I ask you a question?"
 
"y-yes" she was surprised that he is actually asking for permission, however she tensed up anyway as she feared his question would be about her death.
 
"what if I did let you go again....would you come back if I asked?"
 
"Huh?" she was taken aback by his abrupt questioning. It would be obvious that the answer is no, but Umika hesitated to reply, as if the question requires some deep analysis.
 
While she pondered over her unexplained dilemma, he answered the question on her behalf.
"of course not. why would you come back to me if the consequence is death." no one will be as stupid as her to choose to be my friend and stay by my side.
 
He mumbled the last part, but Umika could briefly make out his sentence, though she don't understand the content. What has become clearer to her is that there was someone else in his life, during a time where he hasn't slipped into the darkness that he has subjected and confined himself to. Whatever that happened could be the turning point for him and the reason for the monster in him.
 
"Why are you wholeheartedly helping someone who is gonna kill you? It doesn't make sense at all. If it was others, they would have seized this opportunity to escape, regardless of the fear of being recaptured, since either way they have to die. but you stayed behind, and even helped me"
 
"true. but I won't take advantage of someone when he is not in his best condition. Besides, you saved me 3 times thus far. Even if you saved me to kill me afterwards, the act of saving is concrete and undebatable."
 
"you know your innocence will get you killed someday. You're too naive over human nature. The series of unfortunate events that befall on you has proven that your sincerity will give people an opportunity to trample over you, and that includes your highly-regarded friends."
 
you are just like her. so innocent that she got herself killed ~
 
Umika remained silent as her mind thought of her friends, especially Suzuka who almost got her killed. At the same time, his warnings summoned back a forgotten portion of her memory that was locked up in her heart and soul for a long time - the death of her parents, which was clearly the result of a friend's betrayal.
Ryosuke recalled the little girl's bitter cries..He looked into Umika's eyes and saw what is going in her mind, and he saw tears. 
 
"Thank you~ for whatever you did for me today. Like I've promised you the first time, if you obey my instructions, then I can assure you that you will be well-taken care of until the time comes for you to die. I will take your life in the most painless way. This is my kindness to you. If you land in the Queen's hands, you can be certain that you will die in the most tragic way."
 
Umika looked into his eyes, as though she is trying to seek comfort from him. I see his graciousness, his merciful heart, his kind-heartedness.
"I appreciate that. Thank you" she smiled with tears rolling from the corner of her eyes. He wrapped his fingers round her wound he inflicted on her wrist earlier, and gave it a soft squeeze. The wound healed, and it's no longer swollen. He smiled, causing her heart to skip a beat.
 
"oyasumi, Umika~" he walked towards the mattress he laid on the floor beside her bed and settled down. Noticing that he has left the bed for her, she went straight for it without making an offering to swop. But before they shut their eyes, Ryosuke said something that gave her a sleepless night ahead.
 
"Call me Ryosuke~"