Lies

The Snow Prince
"Daiki, get them both out of here. I want to speak to Yuri alone." Daiki though worried, he obeyed Ryosuke's orders and escorted the 2 girls back to their cages. 
 
"Yuri~" Miku looked into Yuri's eyes as she was dragged out and she seemed to read Yuri's mind...
 
don't worry. I'll be okay.
 
Still, she was confused by the kind acts of a man he barely knew; she's touched by his several accounts where she was saved by him. in this cold, hopeless place, she sees herself fortunate to be able to find someone she could depend on. in her heart, she sincerely wanted to thank Yuri.
 
"I know I went against your warnings. but I'm not regretting what I am doing. Sorry, Ryosuke"
 
"there's no need to apologise. I admire your courage. if only I could be as strong as you, then I'll be able to protect the one I love without running away"
 
"you've done all you could, for Mirai, for Umika too"
 
"no. if I did, then I wouldn't have lost Mirai... and I wouldn't have let Umika go. I'll keep her beside me and protect her at all cost... I couldn't even do any of these right"
 
"Ryosuke~" Yuri felt sorry for Ryosuke... he always looked up to Ryosuke as a big brother who is fearless and witty but this was one of those few times he saw his discouraged face.
 
"I won't take her life. but I can't promise you that the Queen won't. and I'll make this clear, I won't allow my best companion to die, so I won't see you perish in place of her."
 
"Thank you~" Yuri was touched by the sincere protection Ryosuke provided him, and felt that his brotherhood with him has leveled up to a whole new peak.
 
"are you ready for the transfer?"
 
"yes... take whatever you need. if it's not for you, I would have been killed by those beasts"
 
"silly. if it wasn't for you, I'm still trapped in that risky  situation waiting to be eaten up. I'll only absorb up to what your body can handle."
 
Yuri nodded with tears of gratitude in his eyes. Ryosuke smiled gently as he endured his weakness that's tormenting him throughout the conversation.
 
He aligned his lips with Yuri's and a thin stream of air moves slowly from Yuri to Ryosuke. Ryosuke focused his eyes at Yuri to monitor Yuri's body condition. in a matter of minutes, Yuri shuts his eyes as the fatigue sets in. 
 
Yuri?
 
Ryosuke tried to penetrate Yuri's mind during the extraction. He tried to reach him but he couldn't. it seemed that Yuri is distracted by something else, something that caused enormous distress that Ryosuke could see him breaking out in cold sweat and is trembling in fear.
 
Something is wrong~ 
 
The moment Ryosuke is almost recovered, he stopped the extraction.
 
"Yuri!" he caught the unconscious Yuri in his arms and embraced him tightly as he called his name. There was no response. all he received was the cold, shaken body of Yuri.
 
Ryosuke forced feed his strawberry juice to Yuri in order to help him rejuvenate, and wrapped him in his warm fur blanket and laid him in his bed.
 
"Promise me you'll be fine." Ryosuke uttered as he pat Yuri's head while sitting beside the bed and guarding his best friend.
 
little did Ryosuke know that when Yuri wakes up, the strong brotherhood they shared will take a 360 degree change.
 
************
 
"Go on... you can do it" the Snow Queen hurried a young sorcerer to test his abilities on a family of 3 prisoners taken by her.
 
A couple with their five year son knelt on the snowy ground, crying in desperation.
 
it was the first time the young sorcerer tried his extraction powers on real humans and was undeniably frightened by the experience.
 
the same-aged boy watched helplessly as his parents fall victim to the young sorcerer one after another, turning into ice statues after their vitality has been entirely extracted.
 
"mom!!! dad!!!" the boy cried over the loss, but not for the impending danger he himself is in.
 
the young sorcerer was astonished by the child's selfless attitude and couldn't bring himself to terminate his life.
 
possibly because they are of the same age, The young sorcerer asked the Queen to let the boy stay as his playmate and companion. the boy heard the Queen agreeing, and the next moment, she held her palms above him and a sharp pain penetrated his brain, leaving him screaming and crying until he was completely knocked out.
 
~
"why am I here? who am I? my head hurts..." the boy asked when he woke up beside the young sorcerer.
 
"don't worry. you're safe here with me. I'm Ryosuke... and your name is Yuri... your parents dumped you here, but it's okay now. you can stay with me." the boy gave an innocent smile filled with joy and happiness that lightens the mood of the young sorcerer.
*********
 
Yuri opened his eyes and was surprised to see Ryosuke leaning by his ice bed, sleeping.
 
"Yuri? you woke up... thank goodness you're fine" Ryosuke was awakened by the slightest movement of Yuri as he sat up.
 
"what's wrong?" Ryosuke felt weird as he noticed Yuri staring intensely into his eyes with...hatred?
 
"Yuri? are you okay? tell me what's wrong?" Ryosuke grew worried as Yuri's expression was nothing he has seen before. that expression filled with darkness and anger. he saw Yuri clenched his fist as if wanting to kill someone.
 
At the same time, Daiki returned, witnessing Yuri's unexplained rage
 
"I always admired you... looked up to you like a big brother and felt indebted to you...I like you so much...
 
but ended up, I am the stupid and naive one ... to take my parents' killer as my best friend!"
 
"w-what are you talking about?" Ryosuke stutters upon his words as he was taken aback by Yuri's accusations. he didn't understand what Yuri was implying, nothing he said was ringing a bell.
 
"still acting blur?!!! I know everything already! you killed my parents and the Queen brainwashed me. all those things you said about me being dumped by my parents are all fake! you KILLED THEM!"
 
"Yuri, are you nuts?" Daiki tried to pull Yuri away but Yuri's outburst of energy pushed Daiki aside.
 
"Daiki, you may have been fooled too. He could have killed your parents and kept you by his side as his obedient prisoner!" 
 
Ryosuke stood motionless as Yuri said those hurtful words that he still couldn't comprehend. 
 
"Yuri, calm down! I don't understand what you're saying at all. there must be a misunderstanding... something must have happened when I extracted your energy" Ryosuke tried to hold in his tears and grabbed Yuri as he feared losing his best friend.
 
"you're a liar and a heartless killer! yeah, you're a devil! everything I know about you is a FAKE!" he pushed Ryosuke's hands away from his arms and ran away like the wind.
 
"Yuri!!!!!!" Ryosuke wanted to chase after him but he was so fast that before he could react, Yuri was already out of sight.
 
"Is it t-true ? you killed his parents? he's not an orphan? what about me? did you lie about my past too?" Daiki stepped back as Ryosuke tried to approach him.
 
"Daiki~ believe me... I didn't lie... please give me some time to prove myself..."
 
"I don't know... I ...I'm tired.. I want some quiet time alone... I guess all of us need it."
 
"Daiki, don't leave me! I need you, I need the both of you!" Ryosuke rushed after Daiki but because he hasn't entirely recovered, he experienced static pain in his chest and limbs.
 
"don't come closer! just leave me alone until I fully understood what just happened.... I'm sorry Ryosuke. just give me some time to absorb... take care" Daiki disappeared into the woods, just like Yuri, leaving Ryosuke alone in the fortress.
 
he clenched his fist and tightened his jaw as he tried to hold back his tears. he has never felt so uneasy and fearful in his life about being alone forever... 
 
"Yuri... Daiki... please don't leave me alone..." he cried to himself but there's no response.
 
"mom?" a moment of eureka strikes him and he realised that all the mysteries that Yuri said could be the doings of his mother.
 
*********
"ah. I see you returned to your physical self... you've definitely grown stronger" the Queen said proudly like as if it was her credit.
 
"mom, I've something to ask you" Ryosuke said coldly, clenching his fist as he prepares for the moment of truth.
 
"it's about Yuri and Daiki~"
 
"it came earlier than I thought." Ryosuke sensed that he was right when he thought that it has something to do with her.
 
"my son, yes to those questions bombarding your brain... you killed Yuri and Daiki's parents...I locked all your memories so that you can enjoy the companionship... you begged me for their lives" these words echoed in Ryosuke's mind. he couldn't believe that all these are true! he felt like he is gonna break on the spot, he felt his whole body shivering in fear of losing his only friends for good.
 
"w-why... w-why must this be true~?"
 
"devils like us, need nothing but our mighty powers... I reminded you time and time again, not to forge any bonds with anyone or you'll hurt those who love and care for you, but you ignored me..."
 
Ryosuke knelt on the floor and cried with his hands over his head. 
 
"it's not too late to realise this, my son. at least we have each other~" he turned a deaf ear as his heart is too pain to further internalise what his mother said. the traumatised prince exited the Queen's fortress and dragged his feet along the silent, cold, empty forest back to the one place where he can hide himself from all his troubles.. 
 
she is right. 
i didn't deserve any friendship or love...
I am a jinx and should have been alone his whole life. 
I shouldn't have delved into any relationship, not with you, not with Umika, not with Yuri and Daiki!
 
Mirai, it hurts so bad...I need you~
 
Ryosuke closed his eyes and shut himself from all the confrontations he faced these few days which flashed through his mind. he pressed his hands against his heart as he felt the waves of sharp pain tearing his heartstrings. he held back his sorrows and cupped his mouth from letting out his cries. no sound but silent teardrops run down the corner of his eyes, as he leaned against the lone tree.
 
*********
Umika picked up a call from her handphone...
 
"Yuto?"
 
"hello dear~! haven't heard your voice since the holidays started!"
 
"yeah. sorry, I was busy" ~ as if...but, she did feel happy to hear from Yuto, one of her closer friend besides Miku, Suzuka and Hikaru. he too enjoy quite a bit of glamour among the girls in school because he is a hottie, but unknown to others, he has this creepy obsession over dark stuff.
 
"I miss you so much. shall we meet?" Yuto asked.
 
"definitely. the usual place?"
 
"yeah. see you, babe!" his words always leave her slightly flustered. maybe that's why many girls are jealous of Umika being friends with some of the school's cute guys, including Suzuka. but deep in her heart, no one other than the Snow Prince could genuinely make her heart beat in that quick rhythm.
 
She dressed herself and rushed to their meeting place, only to find Yuto not alone.
 
"H-hi~" Hikaru stood up and said embarrassed.
 
"hi."
 
"what's with you guys, being so polite and awkward!" Yuto placed his arms over Umika's shoulder and pulled her to his seat, while he sat opposite her and Hikaru.
 
"what do you wanna drink?" Yuto asked.
 
"strawberry milkshake"
 
"alright. wait a bit, I'll go get it" Yuto deliberately gave time to Umika and Hikaru to resolve their issues.
 
"Hikaru~"
 
"Umika~"
 
they uttered at the same time and looked into each others eyes for a long time, and broke out in a burst of laughter. the tension resolved and the mood lightened.
 
"I'm sorry about yesterday" Hikaru said, bending his head shyly.
 
"no, I'm sorry too. I worried you... and yet I took your concern for granted..."
 
"so friends?" Hikaru asked innocently and brought out his hand.
 
"best friends!" Umika smiled and responded with a handshake.
 
"Hikaru... I thought about it.. you're right... it's crazy to habour feelings for Ryosuke... I'll forget him and everything that happened this period.. I'll get on with my life... "
 
"Umika~"
 
"I promise" Umika gave an assuring smile and they both gazed at each other as if something else is transpiring between them.
 
"hooray! reconciled!" Yuto cheered, not realizing that he just interrupted the affectionate moment between them. Hikaru kicked Yuto's leg under the table as a sign of displeasure for interrupting such an important moment.
 
"anyway, Umika, I think we should get some protection from that evil snow queen" Umika was shocked that Hikaru brought this up in front of Yuto.
 
"don't worry, I briefly told Yuto about it... not everything, just the snow queen... he said he can make this charm for us."
 
"yeah, this charm will protect you... well, I don't know if it works, but aren't all temple charms pretty lame too. they only give believers that additional ease of mind" Yuto added after Hikaru.
 
"is it dangerous? what is it supposed to do" Umika asked.
 
"if anything tries to attack you, it'll keep you safe." Yuto explained.
 
Umika thought it sounded reasonable, at least it's not used to curse her perpetrators' souls or some sort that she frequently hear from Yuto. 
 
"alright then. what do you need?"
 
"just 3 drops of your blood"
 
"ah, blood~" Umika was a little hesitant about needle pricking and gore.
 
"don't worry! you know both of us will be gentle right.. haha choose one, me or Hikaru"
 
almost instantly, Umika decided that she could entrust herself to Hikaru.
 
"ouch. it hurts..." Hikaru held her palms and quickly prick a sterilised needle into her finger. he gently pressed the open wound and collected 3 drops into Yuto's small cylindrical container.
 
Umika's face flushed like a tomato when Hikaru on her finger. But she was surprised that she wasn't flustered nor was her heart racing. she was unexpectedly calm, though taken aback.
 
"I'm okay, Hikaru.. thanks" she quickly pulled away from him and diverted the attention.
 
"I'll go to washroom." she left her seat leaving Yuto and Hikaru.
 
"is it okay to lie to her?" Yuto asked with a guilt-stricken face.
 
"it's a white lie... we are doing for her own good" 
 
"hmm. guess so. besides, it's just one of those useless charms from the temples... they don't do anything but remind you of your determination to commit to what you wish"
 
"I hope it works." Hikaru mumbled under his breathe.
 
"what?" Yuto couldn't catch what he said...Hikaru quickly changed the topic before he probe any further.
 
******************
Yuto sat against the dimly-lit room and flipped open a thick, torn book.
 
He buried himself at the cursive texts in the book and engross himself over the content..
 
Ingredients: 3 drops of essence from the target.
 
("He saved her before...her blood should contain his essence right?" Yuto recalled the urgent look on Hikaru's face.)
 
Yuto...calm down...it's just a useless charm. it won't work. since Hikaru insisted, I could only just give it to him 
 
He tried to convince himself the kind intentions behind the curse that Hikaru asked for.
 
("Umika has to forget him. He and his mother are a threat to human...you do understand right, Yuto. They killed too many people, including Umika's grandmother.")
 
but why did the Snow Prince save her if he is pure evil as the legend said...Hikaru seemed to think so too.. something seemed amiss.
 
"ahhh i am thinking too much" Yuto settled down and took his equipments plus the 3 drops of blood from Umika.
 
He added the instructions according to the book.
 
1. Add the first drop of the target's blood into the pre-prepared potion to curse the heart of the target, sending occasional sharp pain that increases its intensity everytime it strikes
 
2. Add the second drop of the target's blood into the pre-prepared potion to curse the mind of the target, stifling his mental strength and causing dillusions and excruciating headaches.
 
3. Add the third drop of the target's blood into the pre-prepared potion to curse the soul of the target, poisoning the subject, sending the subject to eternal damnation of no return where he will perish at the final stage of the curse.
 
The ornament has to be placed on the beneficiary of the curse.
 
*Disclaimer: This will NOT work on humans, but has great impact on the supernaturals
 
-THE DEVIL CURSE-
 
The darkest curse of all time, engineered to send sorcerers to their dooms. the targets will suffer excruciating and unendurable pain which leads to his/her eventual death. The target perishes from the world like the wind, leaving no traces of him/her behind. the more hatred people have against him/her, the more painful the process is. If their closer ones bear hatred against them, the more blood and tears they shed from the curse.  
 
Yuto shut the book and took in a deep breathe as he completed the ritual. He capped the container and reminded himself to hand it to Umika. Yuto has never done any of such dark sorcercy, mainly trivial ones, hence explains his nervousness...
 
"ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" A loud scream of pain rung throughout the forest. Ryosuke clutched hold of his heart as an unknown sharp pain stabs into his heart, causing him vision to blur and eventually fainted.
3721_original.jpg
(photo as credited)