Before the storm

The Snow Prince

"R-Ryosuke, what are you doing?"

Umika finally opened her eyes, only to be caught in an awkward situation as Ryosuke ran his hands on her buttons. She stopped his hands from ing them and looked at him in confusion.
"you're really prone to injuries, ne Umika. first your forehead, now all the bruises on your body... don't worry, I just need to check it out so I can heal you"
 
Her heart beats fast at his intimate request. She couldn't allow any more touches or she'll really break.
 
"it's okay, I'm fine" she sat up and avoided his eye.
 
"i can hear your nervousness" he wrapped his arm around her neck from behind and pull her close to him.
 
"s-stop it, stop teasing me, Ryosuke" Umika is indeed dying from his teasing. She has never experienced such an affectionate side of him before, and is melting from his every gesture.
 
"there's no need to be embarrass, babe. I won't hurt you, so trust me." Umika slowly let go of her hands from his arm and let him take over, though her heart is still beating like mad. she's flushing red hot as his fingers slowly ran down button by button, revealing her skin beneath bit by bit.
 
he stared skin covered only by her bra for a whole second which caused Umika more awkwardness.
 
"R-Ryosuke~"
 
"ah, sorry. I wasn't thinking what you think I am...."
 
she let her guard down after hearing his response. for some reason, she feels safe revealing the more precious part of her to him. there's just this something about him that made her feel secured and at ease. rather, she felt the naughty one is herself.
 
"sorry Umika, I totally lost myself just now and caused such bruises to your beautiful, flawless skin" his fingers pressed on one of the more evident bruises, slightly below her collarbone.
 
the bruises lighten as his fingers went over each of them, and the healing process wasn't at all painful, except the last one which left a tingling feeling in her heart. He brought his head to her neck and gave the last bruise a hard kiss.
 
"Ryosuke~" she slightly backed away after feeling herself burning from embarrassment.
 
"did i make you uncomfortable?"
 
"n-no.. it's just, I..."
 
"shh, I understand." Ryosuke saw her hands trembling as she struggled to button her clothes, so he took over and she watched his overwhelming gentleness.
 
"Umika~"
 
"yes?"
 
"can I selfishly ask you to stay by my side? your stubbornness has conquered me. I have no courage to escape you anymore."
 
Tears rolled down her eyes as he spoke.
 
finally.
 
Umika nodded, but this came with an added disclaimer.
 
"before I think of a solution to ensure your safety, don't do anything stupid that can get yourself killed. do as I say, okay? you've to promise me this"
 
Umika thought of how Mirai died so tragically, and understood Ryosuke's worries.
 
"I promise. I won't worry you"
(credit in photo)
"thank you, Umika" he almost kissed her on her lips when her phone rang.
 
"Umika!"
 
"Yuto?"
 
"how are you feeling? and him?"
 
"better... what about Haruna?"
 
"she's just beside me, and she's doing absolutely fine. anyway, she wants to ask if the 2 of you would like to join us in the Festival of Lights at our school tonight"
 
"er..." she looked at Ryosuke. deep down, she hoped he'll say yes, cause she wants to brighten up his lonely life, but ultimately it's up to him.
 
"do you wanna go?"
 
"if you want me to go, I will" Umika was touched by his willingness. she is starting to understand what Mirai means by the delicate and loving side of him.
 
"thank you" she smiled at him, and he returned a sweet smile too.
 
"we'll go, Yuto! what time should we meet?"
 
"what about 6pm outside the school gate?"
 
"alright, see you!"
 
**********
the Festival of Lights is the school's annual festival that invites members of the public to view handmade lanterns and visit students' booths selling handicrafts, food and more. there are also performances. never did Umika know that the same time next year, everything around her will change (just a little teaser^_^)
"Ryosuke!!!" Haruna threw herself at him when she saw Umika and him approaching. Yuto and Umika looked at the intimacy in disgust.
 
"thank goodness you're okay! thanks for saving me" 
 
Umika and yuto looked at them worriedly as Haruna seemed stunned in Ryosuke's arms. What actually hits Haruna is this sense of cold, yet at the same time, a comforting warmth emitted from his body that draws her closer like an addictive drug. she is entirely captivated by him that if it's not because of Yuto, she would have stayed in that position.
 
"Haruna~ you're too open!" 
 
"ah, sorry. I'm just too affectionate yea....(awkward laughter) anyway, hi, I'm kawaguchi Haruna" she stretched out her hand for him.
 
Umika looked at Ryosuke, and realised she should do the introduction instead based on the past few experiences.
 
"he's..."
 
"I'm Ryosuke. glad that you're okay too." he reciprocated the handshake and gave a gentle smile that caused Haruna to blush badly.
 
Umika was worried about the handshake... she's afraid Ryosuke would not be able to resist his temptation to her energy. it'll be too risky in front of Yuto.
 
"er... shall we walk there." Umika interrupted and The handshake broke.
 
Yuto and Haruna took the lead while Ryosuke and Umika followed from behind.
 
"you are worried that I'll do something to her...right?"
 
"I..."
 
"I won't. I will not touch your friends"
 
"Ryosuke..."
 
"can I not kill anymore lives?" he recited what he read from her mind 
 
"can you stop reading my mind?" Umika said frustratedly.
 
"can't help it..(he giggled). anyway my answer is, yes, if you stay with me forever... killing is only necessary when I run low of energy, but with you around, I don't think I'll need to do that. not unless my mother instructs."
 
"thank you Ryosuke" she smiled but what gave her a heart attack was when his fingers went between hers and tangled together. they walked down the crowded street hand in hand. 
 
*****
at the same time, Hikaru sneakily entered Umika's house using the spare set of keys she gave him earlier. he excused himself from the festival and broke into her house so he could carry out a plan that will ruin the peace.
 
he searched through Umika's drawer and found what he's looking for. along with a sheet of paper, he placed the object on a visible spot on her dressing table.
 
"there's no way you'll stay here after this..." Hikaru uttered, then he quickly ran out of her house in case anyone spot him. 
 
someone within the shadows have captured his every move... the shadow was so fast that he managed to analyze the object and the paper, and exited the house almost at the same time as Hikaru. he tightened his fist as he watched Hikaru retreating.
 
********
"Yuto, Haruna..." Ryosuke sudden call to them startled all three friends.
 
"yeah?"
 
"I like to go somewhere with Umika, so if you would excuse us"
 
Umika blushed and looked on the ground as she avoided all the questioning stares from her friends.
"ah, sure... Yuto and I will go grab a bite first. I'm famished" Haruna responded in place of Yuto who looked at Ryosuke with a little doubt.
 
"I'll bring her back in one piece, Yuto" Ryosuke read Yuto's worries and managed to again convince Yuto of his harmless intentions. it's not because Yuto didn't trust Ryosuke, in fact, he has been exceptionally caring towards her, but trusting Ryosuke would mean that he distrust his own friend, Hikaru.
 
"o-okay... Umika, call me if there's anything, okay?"
 
Umika nodded and led Ryosuke away as she saw the disappointment in his eyes.
 
"Ryosuke?"
 
"he guessed my identity...all who sensed my aura would continue to doubt my agenda for getting close to you..."
 
"I'm sorry..."
 
"what's there to be sorry about. it's my damned fate. I expected that and I'm used to it already. my whole life is about people fearing me, isn't it..."
 
he noticed Umika looking sad after his line, and a sense of guilt grew in him.
 
"come~ I show you this place that will surely excite your five senses" Ryosuke held her hand tightly and quickened his pace towards an isolated street that leads to....
 
 
"omg! it's beautiful! how is it you know this place?!" Umika was stunned by the beauty in front of her. the well-trimmed grass spreads across the park. the park has no trees and thus, one could have an unblocked view of the moon and the bright shinning stars that hung in the dark blue sky.
 
"well, there's nothing in this town that I don't know. because you people are just too blinded by work, school and city life that alot of the natural beauty in this world are forgotten and neglected."
 
He giggled when he saw Umika pouted at his criticism.
 
Umika looked at him as he laid down on a soft patch of grass with his arm stretched out for her.
 
"come on... you won't regret this view of the sky"
 
Umika obeyed and lie down with her head on his arm.
 
he's right! the view of the night sky lying down is so captivating, I'm totally falling for its beauty. along with his strong arm as my cushion, it's the perfect complement!
 
"Umika... what do you think things will be like if you and your friends never entered the forest that day or you never saved the little rabbit?"
 
"we'll still meet sometime, someplace. somehow we'll still cross paths"
"you think so?"
 
"yeah, that's how amazing fate is. "
 
"that's quite sad actually. cause if Yuri, Daiki, Mirai and you are not fated to meet me, your lives would be pretty much safer"
 
"how would you know they'll be happier without you in their lives. at least for me and Mirai, I'm sure we never regretted entering your life."
 
"Umika~"
 
"and as for Yuri and Daiki, I'm sure you guys can triumph all the obstacles with the brotherhood you guys have accumulated thus far"
 
"have you considered being a counsellor... cause you really make someone feels good"
 
"stop teasing me" Ryosuke giggled once more at Umika's frustration over his teasing.
Umika was even more in love with the happier Ryosuke who showed his sunshine smile throughout the day. she hoped he could stay like that.
 
"the stars are really beautiful! if only we can pick them"
 
"who say we can't?" Ryosuke stretched out his free hand and then brought it close to his lips and gave a gentle blow. he opened his hand slightly, revealing a shiny star.
"omg it's amazing!!!" Umika wanted to touch it, but was stopped by him.
 
"there's a reason why stars are situated beyond our reach. because if you touch it, it disintegrates. that's why it's only for viewing pleasure..."
 
"so no one can ever fully possess one?" Umika looks saddened.
 
"you want to possess one?"
 
"of course...but it's impossible"
 
Ryosuke sat up and pulled her beside him. he grabbed her hand and shoved the star slowly into her palm and closed it with his palm over hers. together he led her palm towards her heart and pressed her palm against it.
 
"now you'll always possess the star isn't it... it's in your heart now, and no one can ever take that away from you"
 
Umika is on the verge of crying at his every sweetness that is overwhelming her and exceeding her tolerance. She threw her arms over him and didnt want to let go.
 
"I love you, Ryosuke!"
 
"me too...."
 
Ryosuke gazed into the moonlight and a feeling of uncertainty creeps up to him.
 
these days... I keep losing myself...the sudden migraines and heartaches are getting more and more unbearable...I don't know why, but I feel like....my end is round the corner...
 
"heh?" Umika asked as though she heard his thoughts.
 
"nothing~" he continue to embrace her under the peaceful night sky. 
(credit to photo)
*******
"Haruna~"
 
"yeah, Yuto?"
 
"why aren't you afraid of Ryosuke after what happened that day?"
 
"this guy... I admit that some stuff are unexplainable, like how he defeat those bad and the blue eyes... but to be honest, he doesn't seem a bad person. I don't find myself fearing when I'm with him, rather I feel safe. I'm sure that's what draw Umika to him too"
 
"I hope you're wrong~ or else I have done something unforgivable"
 
"heh?" Haruna couldn't hear Yuto's mumbling.
 
"Haruna, do you believe in my pastime?"
 
"Yuto, we quarreled over this before... I promised I won't in to your activities"
 
"no, Haruna, this time is different. just answer me."
 
"if you say so... my answer is no., I don't believe in sorcery and supernatural..."
 
"including all the charms I play with?"
 
"yeap, including those. I don't believe in any. sorry Yuto "
 
"thank you~" Yuto heaved a sigh of relief and smiled, leaving Haruna confused. he's just afraid that his charm will cause unrepairable damage to someone that he couldn't still understand.
 
 
Ryosuke and Umika rejoined Haruna and Yuto in the festival after about an hour.
 
"Umika!! I saw these nice guys accessories! lets go take a look" Haruna pulled Umika away, though Umika is reluctant to let go off Ryosuke.
 
"don't worry, I'll look after him for you, ne Umika!" Yuto shouted out.
now, Yuto and Ryosuke sat down together side by side along a stone seat, in silence until Ryosuke uttered something that took Yuto by surprise.
 
"I know you sensed my real identity, Nakajima Yuto"
 
Yuto looked at him in surprise and feared that he'll silence him.
 
"don't worry, I won't kill you. though I would have if it's sometime back"
 
"Ryosuke.... are you a friend or foe?"
 
"that's bothering you, isn't it... why don't you ask what are the odds of things working out between me and Umika? what do you think of a devil-human love then"
 
"er...honestly, I never thought it's possible...."
 
"me too."
 
"but.. after I saw the 2 of you, I thought it could be a beautiful love too."
Ryosuke was taken aback by Yuto's positivity.
 
"you are not afraid I do something to her?"
 
"initially yes, but this fear is decreasing fast."
"somehow everyone around her are so trusting.. maybe i should call it the Umika syndrome" Ryosuke smirked.
 
"maybe it's not her... it's your little acts of kindness that convince people your true nature" 
 
"so... then I return the question to you, am I your friend or foe? let me remind you, saying I'm your friend would mean your other friend Hikaru lied"
 
"I..." Yuto felt intimidated by his superb mind-reading skills and was afraid he sees through the bad stuff he did to him. but so far, it didnt seem he did. he's glad that at this time, Umika and Haruna returned.
 
"Yuto! look at what I got for you!" it's a star necklace and Haruna helped Yuto put it on. she then sneaked a kiss on Yuto.
 
"Haruna~" he embraced her in his arms and kissed her forehead.
 
"er... Ryosuke" Umika was too shy to pass him what she bought after seeing Haruna so daringly giving it to Yuto,
 
"t-this is for you..." she opened her palm, revealing a leaf shaped necklace. 
 
"I bought a leaf design because I really liked it..."
 
"then I like it too. Thank you, Umika"
 
"w-would you like me to put it on for you" Ryosuke giggled at her stuttering.
 
"that'll be good" he lowered down a little and hinted Umika to do secure the necklace from his front.
 
because of the short chain, Umika had to move really close to his face to clip it on. she blush really bad as she immersed herself in his sweet minty breath and warm radiation from his chest, but before she suffer from a heart attack, he pressed his lips against hers, leaving her with no room to breathe.
"aww, that's damn sweet" Haruna look in jealousy and gave Yuto a deadly stare.
 
"what?"
 
"you should totally learn from him."
 
Umika was so shy that she slowly pulled away from him.
 
"Ryosuke~" she avoided his eyes nervously and that tickled him.
 
"shall we go Umika's house to chill for a while before heading home?" Yuto suggested.
 
"it's nearby, isn't it?" Haruna asked.
 
"yeap" Umika answered.
 
"then lets go!" Haruna grabbed Yuto's arms and Yuto led the way, while Umika and Ryosuke trailed closely behind, walking hand in hand against the moonlight. the 2 pairs of lover have no idea what is in store for them that could put an abrupt halt to this serenity. 
 
*******
Ryosuke headed up to Umika's room while the rest washed up and Umika preparing some cut fruits for her guests.
 
if only things can remain as it is forever... today is the happiest day of my life. Thank you Umika. if it wasn't for you......
 
something broke his train of thoughts. he focused on the object on her dressing table. he could sense a bad omen and his heart beat fast as fear took over. his mind starts to imagine what it could be, and this object reminded him of all those protection charms that many of his victims wore, only that this seemed stronger than those. he walked forward and brought it close to him, only to feel a stinging pain running through his veins.
this pain is remotely familiar... it's those agonistic pain that tortured him frequently these days. a moment of realization strikes him as he connected the dots of his unusual body condition when he read the old script torn from a book which details the ingredients for the object...and he knew where the key ingredient could be obtained.
 
a sense of disappointment and betrayal emerged and he clenched his fist as if looking for somewhere to vent it all out.
 
a shadow in the balcony watched as Ryosuke exited the room.
 
******
"Ryosuke... I was about to ask you to come down, Umika is done with cutting up the fruits." Haruna bumped into Ryosuke in the stairway.
 
"R-Ryosuke~ what's wrong?" Haruna backed off and Yuto saw her petrified girlfriend.
 
"Haruna!" Yuto grabbed Haruna and ushered her behind him as Ryosuke walked down the steps with a deep, intimidating stare. Yuto could sense his rage and his exploding intentions to kill.
 
"U-Umika~" Yuto called out to Umika who just happened to exit the kitchen with the plate of fruits.
 
She dropped the plate with a loud crash upon seeing the charm Yuto gave her in Ryosuke's hands.
 
"R-Ryosuke~ I can e-explain...~ It's not what it seemed..."
 
Ryosuke was obviously in no mood to listen. he walked towards Umika, causing Yuto to become outwardly defensive for his friend's safety.
 
"Umika, Run!!"
 
but instead she went forward and grabbed Ryosuke's sleeves.
 
"Umika!!! are you crazy!!! run now! he's gonna kill you!!!"
 
just when Yuto warned, Ryosuke grip her by the neck and strangled her, leaving her gasping for breathe. 
 
"*cough cough R-Ryosuke, I didn't mean to hurt you...!*cough it's just a *protection charm"
 
Ryosuke tightened his grip and lifted her from the ground causing her to suffocate even more.
 
"Ryosuke!!! stop it!!! don't do anything that will leave you in regrets!" Yuto shouted.
 
tears rolled down from Umika's eyes as she tried to breathe but the deadly stare from his eyes hurt her heart even more than the physical pain. she caused the tremendous change from such a lovely caring guy earlier, to an enraged monster dying to kill his victims. she knew she hurt him real deeply and she wanted a chance to make up for it, but she's starting to think that she's not gonna get that chance.
 
"I thought you were the naive one, but turned out I'm the one. I shouldn't have the slightest fate in people like you... you wanted to kill me... just like everyone else..."
 
"n-noo I d-didnt try to k-kill you... I ..."
"YOU TRIED TO SEND ME TO HELL"
 
Yuto saw Umika losing her consciousness and was desperate for words to change his mind.
 
"Ryosuke!!! you love her, that's a fact you can't change! if you kill her, you'll won't be able to turn it around"
 
"yeah~ Ryosuke!!! listen to your heart! I could tell you like her alot, so don't be rash!" Haruna added.
 
it seemed like their words strike him... it reminded him of his unconditional love for Mirai...
 
he let go of her and Umika crashed to the ground, coughing intensely to recover her breathing.
"if I ever see you again, I'll kill you. Umika Kawashima, I hate every part of you! your pathetic love disgusts me" every single word he said reaps her heart apart. a single ice beam followed the movement of his hand and blew up one of her lamps. 
 
he motioned towards the exit and Umika wanted to chase after him, only to be caught by Yuto.
tumblr_msrgx8za7J1r0aq2zo4_r3_400.gif
"Ryosuke!!! please don't leave me!! please... listen to me!!!!! don't gooo!!!" Umika cried like there's no tomorrow, that both Yuto and Haruna couldn't help but sympathize with her and tear alongside her. but that didn't hold back Ryosuke. He paused on his way out as if in deep thoughts, as if he can't bear leaving her. Hardening his heart and clenching his fist to resist the temptation of turning back, he walked out of the house filled with her bitter cries that breaks his heart, just as much as the betrayal.
 
"Ryosuke!!!!"
 
Yuto had to restrain Umika so hard until she finally collapsed on the floor and quietened down. what preoccupied Umika is the slip of torn page from a book.
 
"a curse?? it's supposed to be a protection charm..." Umika said in a cold tone.
 
"I-I can explain..." Yuto panicked and Umika knew where this is going. She finally learnt that the recent seizures and sudden attacks Ryosuke suffered are because of her... she used her blood which contained his essence to curse him... she used his kindness against him...
 
"NAKAJIMA YUTO!!!!!!!!!!" she ran forward and pushed him to the ground.
 
"no wonder you asked me those weird questions about whether I believed in those sorcery! cause you're afraid it works, isn't it, Yuto! cause you realise you were wrong about Ryosuke!" Haruna sternly said.
 
"Yuto~ it works , it really works ! he already had a few attacks !!!! and it's all because I sold him out!!!!" Umika knelt and cried louder.
 
"h-how? omg. it never works, why now?!! Umika, I'm sorry... I didnt know. I took his word for real and didnt want you to get hurt by any dark source. I meant well"
 
"him...? H-Hikaru?!!!" Umika recalled that Hikaru was with Yuto the day he asked for her blood. Yuto couldn't have known about Ryosuke by himself, Hikaru must have told him. everything makes sense to Umika at this point. she was so furious she dashed out of the house and no one could stop her.
 
******
Meanwhile, the heartbroken Ryosuke walked along the streets. His anger and disappointment have yet to subside and thus, was looking for avenues to vent his frustration. 
 
"Hey, watch out!" a teenage 'school-dropout' looking boy unfortunately bumped into Ryosuke. 
 
Ryosuke found the perfect avenue to vent his frustration. He pushed the boy onto the wall and secured him in place, while his hand moved towards his chest. he was, for his first time, attempting the heart-suction - the most evil act of all... which took his parents life - a fact he never knew.
 
the boy screamed desperately for his life and struggled hard, but to no avail.
 
"Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ryosuke suddenly loosen his grip and crouched down in intense pain that strikes his brain and heart. the seizures starts again, and the boy seized his opportunity to run. 
"Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!! it hurts!!!!!!!! " the pain was so unbearable that Ryosuke even wanted to die! knowing that such things are happening to him because of Umika just adds on to his sorrows.
 
"Ryosuke!" the person in the shadow ran towards the crying Ryosuke and held him in his embrace.
 
"D-Daiki!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! kill me please!!!!! it hurts like hell!!!!" Ryosuke grabbed Daiki's arms so much that his nails cut his skin, but that was least of his worries.
 
"Ryosuke~ it'll be okay, I'm here!"
 
"KILL ME!!!! I CAN'T STAND THE PAIN!!!!!!!" Daiki's tears flowed as he sees Ryosuke crying in pain and begging for him to end his life. 
 
"you may have killed my parents, but I never regretted you as my best friend and brother! killing you is impossible." he sends a heavy blow to Ryosuke's neck, knocking him out temporarily to relief his agony. Ryosuke fell into his arms. He rubbed his best friend's arms to transfer some warmth to him and wiped the tears off Ryosuke's pale face.
"don't worry. everything will be fine, Ryosuke" he carried Ryosuke on his back and ran towards the direction of the forest. 
 
******
 
Please give me your comments:) & subscribe too