Chapter 09

When We Say

Dongwoo arrived at his dorm unfazed that his roommate wasn’t around and lied down on his own bed. He added the appropriate amount of hours in his head and figured that it would almost be midnight where Sunggyu was. He could be sleeping, but Dongwoo could really care less at this point.

“Hello?” a groggy voice answered.
“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Dongwoo had to try hard to not raise his voice. He was upset thinking of how Sunggyu could do this to you. But Dongwoo was more upset at the fact that you still seemed to care for Sunggyu more than him.
“Dongwoo, I—“
“Do you even know how long she’s been waiting for this?! It’s been months since she’s seen you and you’re going to pull this?! I swear to god, if you’re lying and you’re actually coming… The first thing I’ll do when I see you is punch you in the face. “
“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu stopped, making sure Dongwoo wasn’t going to interrupt him again before continuing, “I’m really not coming home for Christmas.”
“Why the hell not?! If there’s another girl you better tell me now because I know that talent show excuse is bull.”

Sunggyu was fully awake at this time. “There really is a talent show. Dongwoo, what do you think of me? We’ve been best friends since we were little and you think I would lie to the girl I love? Do you think I would lie to you? Are you okay? Have you been drinking?”
“No, I’m fine. I guess…sorry, I guess I just got a little worked up seeing her like this.”
Sunggyu didn’t need an explanation from Dongwoo to know how you were feeling, he felt the same way and there was no way around it.

“Sorry for bothering you like this, I should let you go to sleep—“
“Dongwoo, wait. Can you do me a favor?”
“If you’re asking me to give her up completely, then no. But anything other than that... sure. What is it?”
“If she decides to come visit me, let her. And don’t insist that you tag along, unless she absolutely begs you to. Okay? I won’t do anything to ruin our friendship, trust me.”
“Fine. But I swear to god, if you hurt her you can bet your that—“
“Dongwoo, there’s no reason for you to even think that.”
“Uh huh. Well, I’ll let you go back to sleep. I’ll see you soon.”
“Only if she begs you!” Sunggyu made sure to emphasize this condition once more.
“Yeah, uh huh. Bye.”

Dongwoo hung up before Sunggyu could respond.

-------------------

Unlike Dongwoo, you were surprised to see your roommate in the room and actually sleeping. She looks so peaceful sleeping, why couldn’t she be like when she’s awake? you thought with a scowl on your face. You did your nightly routine before lying down on your bed and pulling out your phone. By now, you weren’t as upset. You realized that even though you and Sunggyu had to be apart for a bit longer, it was for the better. You also had figured that even though he couldn’t come see you, it didn’t necessarily mean that you couldn’t go see him. You checked your bank account on your phone. This should be enough, you thought. You would’ve continued going through with your idea and checked airline fares but your eyelids were heavy. One last thought ran through before sleep took over your mind, I’ll just do it tomorrow.

It was finally Friday and also the last day of fall semester meaning that after today, you had a whole month to do whatever you wanted before school started again. You met up with Dongwoo on your way to the dining hall for breakfast. “Good morning. Feeling better?” Dongwoo was a little confused at the smile you were wearing while walking with a little more pep in your step. You had looked up airline fares to go visit Sunggyu while getting ready in the morning and found that you had more than enough in your bank account.

“I was thinking about it last night… and if Sunggyu can’t come, then I’ll go see him. I want to surprise him.”
Dongwoo replayed the conversation from last night in his head. “I don’t think it’ll really be a surprise,” he said almost as an aside.
“Huh? What’d you say?” You were expecting a snarky remark from Dongwoo. “I think that’s a good idea.”
“Oh. Well, I was also planning on going alone.” Again, you were expecting a certain reaction from Dongwoo, thinking he would insist on going with you.
“Sounds like an even better idea,” sarcasm hinted at his tone. You almost couldn’t believe that Dongwoo was okay with you going to go see Sunggyu by yourself. You just wanted to make sure he understood the situation one more time. “You don’t want to go?”
“Are you begging me?”
“…Not…really. No.”
“Then I don’t see why I really need to go.” Dongwoo looked over to see you staring at him with wide eyes and your mouth hanging open. “Close your mouth, there’s a lot of bugs out here.” You laughed before continuing your investigation to find out why Dongwoo was like this. “Why don’t you want to go? You haven’t seen Sunggyu for as long as I have and–“
“I can’t go.”
“You can’t or you don’t want to?”
“I can’t, really. My grandma’s in the hospital again and I’d like to stay nearby just in case anything happens.”
You stopped chiding him, knowing that Dongwoo wasn’t lying. The two of you continued to walk into the dining hall.