Chapter 06

When We Say

 The walk to Sunggyu’s house was quick but Dongwoo felt like it took longer than usual. Maybe it was because you weren’t talking. I wonder how she really feels, Dongwoo thought. You walked silently, trying to organize all the thoughts in your head while also trying to hold back tears. You weren’t sure if you could do this, but you had no choice, for the sake of Sunggyu's future you had to do this.

Your thoughts were scattered as the front door of Sunggyu’s house opened. You had walked mindlessly down the street but Dongwoo guided you to Sunggyu’s house with his arm across your shoulders.
“Oh! You two are just in time, we’re about to leave in a few minutes. Hoya, Sungjong, Woohyun, Myungsoo, and Sungyeol are already here.” Sunggyu’s mother spoke sweetly.
You and Dongwoo entered and joined your other friends in the living room. The atmosphere seemed tense, like everyone was waiting for something to happen to you and you knew it so you did your best to put up a front. This was the last time all 8 of you were going to be together for who knew how long. Only you and Dongwoo were staying close to home while everyone else was leaving town to do their own thing.
“I can’t believe after four years, it’s ending this way.” Sungyeol said, breaking the silence.
“Hey! Don’t say that. Nothing’s over, it’s just a new beginning!” Sungjong optimistically said.
“Yeah, we’ll eventually all come back again,” said Woohyun.
“And we’ll all keep in touch, right?” Hoya inquired.
“Of course! We have to!” All eyes turned to you as you said this with a smile. “We can’t just forget about each other, I mean you guys are pretty hard to forget.”
“That’s true,” Sungyeol laughed, “we’re not like others who say they’ll keep in touch and don't. We’re better than that.”
“I’ve been trying to get rid of you guys for years and it has happened yet so I doubt it’ll happen now,” Myungsoo jokingly said earning laughs from everyone.
And with that, the mood had lightened.

Sunggyu was upstairs lying on his bed, heart aching as he thought about the memories he would be leaving behind along with you. This won’t be the last time we’re together, he thought. We’ll still keep in touch, I’ll be home for the holidays. She’ll wait for me. He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard everyone laughing downstairs, you included. I wonder how long this happy mood will last.
“Come on, Sunggyu. We’re going to be late!” His mom called up the stairs. Sunggyu checked the time on the watch you had given him for his brithday. “I’m coming, I just need to get my stuff!” He looked around the room making sure he packed everything you had given him not wanting to leave it at home. Sunggyu always thought he didn't deserve the presents you gave him but you thought otherwise. Whenever you went out, Sunggyu and Dongwoo always paid for everything. It's not like you didn't have money, your parents always gave you more than necessary as if trying to make up for the fact that they were always gone. But they always insisted on paying, whatever the cost. You felt so burdened by this that the only way you felt you could make it up to them was with presents. Though your presence was a present enough for both of them, you used the money Dongwoo and Sunggyu wouldn't allow you to spend and bought them the nicest and most expensive things you could afford. Neither Sunggyu nor Dongwoo were materialistic but they loved every present you had given them and made them their most prized possessions even if they thought they weren't deserving of it. 

You listened to Sunggyu's voice. Oh, how you would miss it. He’ll call, we’ll text, he’ll be home on holidays, you thought.
Sunggyu grabbed his bag filled with his personal items and looked around the room once more before making his way downstairs. You were looking down at your feet while the other boys joked and laughed but looked up when you heard Sunggyu coming down the stairs and forced a smile onto your face.
I’m definitely going to miss that smile, he thought sadly before smiling his genuine smile that failed to let his eyes show. His smile was enough to bring you to tears but you held on using the last of your will power. 

Hoya, Sungjong, Sungyeol, Myungsoo, and Woohyun got up to bid their farewells to Sunggyu leaving you and Dongwoo still sitting on the couch. The plan was for you and Dongwoo to go to the airport with Sunggyu and his parents while the other five boys just said goodbye to Sunggyu here.

“You sure you want to go with them to the airport? We can just say bye now if that makes it easy for you. “ Dongwoo asked.
Easy? You thought. Saying goodbye to Sunggyu will never be easy no matter the time, place, or reason.
You tried not to sound irritated by Dongwoo's suggestion but weren't able to hide it well, “No, it’s fine. I want to go to the airport, I want to watch some airplanes take off.”
“Oh o-ok.” Dongwoo stuttered, almost regretting what he said previously.
You wouldn’t cry at there airport, there would be too many people around and you didn’t want them staring at you.

“Come on kids, I know you really don’t want to say goodbye but we have to go,” Sunggyu’s father said.
The six boys looked genuinely sad. Even the usual straight-faced Myungsoo looked devastated. All of them tried holding back their tears, but one just couldn’t stand it anymore. “Sungyeol~ don’t be like this!” You heard Woohyun say. Sungyeol tried not to start sobbing and only let a few tears fall. The rest of the boys turned solemn. “Our Sunggyu’s growing up and on his way to become a singer. You’ll remember us when you’re famous, right?” Sungjong asked.
“If I become famous,” Sunggyu laughed. “Well we have to go. I’ll see you guys in the future, let’s keep in touch.”
Each boy had his turn to hug Sunggyu before they headed towards the door. He then turned to face you and Dongwoo, he couldn’t look into your eyes and only looked at Dongwoo, “Let’s go.”
The five others said goodbye to you and Dongwoo as they exited through the front door while you were on your way to the car in the garage.