Chapter 05

When We Say

You awoke to the doorbell ringing violently. Dongwoo, you mentally scoffed. You didn’t bother really fixing yourself up for now. Dongwoo has already seen you in your pj’s with no makeup on. You also happened to know that you in your simplest form was his favorite and secretly thought of it as a treat for him to see you like this. As you walked out of the room you caught sight of your clock, it read 8:33am. You had to be at Sunggyu's house before 10am so you could go with his parents to take him to the airport. 

You opened the front door and saw Dongwoo standing there, his calm face turning into one of shock similar to the one he had when he first met you. Even though Dongwoo had seen you like this before, he never failed to appreciate it as he took in the sight of you in a loosely-fitting shirt and shorts. But before he could get a good look at your face, you scoffed aloud, “Dongwoo, you act like this is the first time you’ve seen me like this. Now are you coming in or what? I still have to get ready.”

You often acted like this towards Dongwoo. It wasn’t intentional, you just never knew how to act around him. It’s like whenever you’re with him, you act like that little boy in elementary school who didn’t know how to confess to the girl they liked and everything they said to them just came across as mean. But Dongwoo knew not to take you seriously and didn’t mind when you spoke to him like this.  Feisty, he always thought.

“Are you parents home?” Dongwoo asked as he finally took his eyes off you and entered the house.
“You think if my parents were here they would let you get away with your ridiculous doorbelling?” You scoffed again but with a smile.
Dongwoo was an airhead sometimes but it only seemed to be outside of school. While in school, he ranked 3rd out of your whole graduating class and had won a scholarship that only ten students nationwide received.

“Ohhh, that’s true,” Dongwoo said looking at you. “Have you eaten breakfast yet?”
“Does it look like I’ve eaten breakfast yet?” You said, sarcasm coating each word.
This time Dongwoo was able to see your face clearly. Your eyes were red and slightly swollen. She cried last night. I knew I should’ve called her, he thought.
“I woke you up with my doorbelling then. I should’ve called you to tell you I was coming. Sorry~” Dongwoo said with a sincere look on his face.
“It’s okay, I wouldn’t have gotten your call. My phone died and I was too tired to bother charging it last night.” You had actually turned your phone completely off before you went out with Sunggyu yesterday. You didn’t want anything or anyone to distract you from the precious last moments you were spending with him.
“Mmm, okay. Well go get ready, I’ll cook you breakfast!”
You would have stopped Dongwoo, but you knew he loved cooking, which he did especially when it was for you. You went straight upstairs, deeming it unnecessary to show Dongwoo where the cooking things were. He had spent enough time in your house that you wouldn’t even doubt that he knew where the secret family safe was. He denied it every time you asked if he did, but you would watch his eyes roam to the painting on the wall that the safe was behind. It wasn’t a bad thing that he knew and if anything, he actually seemed to protect it. Whenever you had a party while your parents were away, Dongwoo would always stand around that area making sure no one accidentally knocked the painting off the wall.

You entered the shower while Dongwoo was downstairs struggling to look for something to cook. “This is why we should’ve moved in together,” Dongwoo thought aloud. “There’s barely anything for me to cook. I bet if it weren’t for Sunggyu and I bringing her food, she would’ve starved to death by now.”
Your parents were usually gone for at least one to two weeks out of the month on business trips and they thought that whatever food was in the house was enough for you. But Sunggyu and Dongwoo realized it wasn’t and would bring food over and have dinner with you while your parents were away. Sometimes the rest of the boys would come over too, bringing their girlfriend if they had one.
But even when your parents were home, your mom took care of the cooking and didn’t bother to show you how to cook, not that you were interested in learning anyway. You didn’t spend more time than you saw necessary with your parents, always spending your extra time in your room reading or with Sunggyu and Dongwoo. Your parents didn’t mind though, they knew that you weren’t doing anything wrong.

Dongwoo managed to find ingredients to make a few pancakes and an egg omelet for you, he even found your favorite fruits, strawberry and mango, that he would add as a side dish for your breakfast. He figured you wasted a lot of energy crying last night and you’ll only waste more after crying today. I’m going to show that I can take care of her, he thought. Dongwoo always took care of you, it’s like he has this mom mentality but it didn’t bother you, he seemed to fill the void that your mom leaves empty.

You walked out of the steamy bathroom to a wonderful smell coming from downstairs.
Dongwoo heard the bathroom door open as he finished cooking, “Hey, you done getting ready yet? Food’s done~ I don’t want you to eat it cold!”
“Yeah, I’ll be down in a few!” You replied. The aroma filled your senses making your mouth water.
Why did I refuse to move in with Dongwoo? You thought, Oh yeah… You stopped yourself before you could even think of his name.
You got ready quickly, putting on a pastel colored sundress. Even if your outfit didn’t match how you felt on the inside, you still wanted to look pretty for Sunggyu.

When was the last time I ate a breakfast that looked as good as this? You thought.
Before sitting down to eat, you ran up to Dongwoo, who was washing the pans he used to cook, and gave him a back hug. “Thank you, Dongwoo~”
“Anything for you,” he sweetly replied. “Hopefully you can finish it all before we leave, I don’t want it to go to waste.”
You had about 20 minutes to eat so you and Dongwoo could get to Sunggyu’s house in time, but that was more than enough time as you ate Dongwoo’s cooking well.

After one last drink of your orange juice, you got up and put your plates in the sink.
“You ready?” Dongwoo asked. “Yeah, let’s go,” you replied but after thinking about it, you questioned if you were really ready.
Were you ready to let go of Sunggyu? Were you ready to accept that he can’t be around? These questions crossed your mind.
“Well come on then,” Dongwoo said, breaking you away from your sad thought. You looked up to see Dongwoo already holding the door open for you. You grabbed your purse, put on your shoes and walked out the door, not sure if you were emotionally ready or not.