Waking up alone

Artificial Ai

NOTE: Kiseop doesnt have the ability to dream so when he sleeps he replays memories that are stored somewhat like data. Which when he chooses to replay these memories while asleep it makes him almost completely unaware of whats going on in the outside world which explains how AJ slips away so easily. ^-^

AJ'S POV

     Waking up I turn to look at Kiseop who slept so still as if someone had turned him off like someone would some sort of machine. It was the first time I had been so close to something of his kind. Curiously I reached out to touch his face to see if he was still breathing. His breaths were so abnormally shallow that if I were not paying close attention I would think he wasn't breathing. He layed there still and motionless as if he was waiting for someone to wake him from sleep mode.

     I thought about waking him before I left but something inside me hesitated and changed its mind. Quietly I grabbed my things peering back to him to see if I had woken him in the process but he still layed there, never once moving. Not even a shift just perfectly still. I wondered if that was normal but pushed the thought aside and left to go back to my own home. It was barely dawn when I stepped out. The sky still dark and wet from rain.

KISEOPS POV

[Replaying System Data Memory] ....1:00 AM...data retrieved

..."Hands gliding, seeking, unsure of where to settle...lips burning as they press harder...heart rate unsteady as he becomes more eager...breaths become heavier...eyes staring, shifting from my eyes to my body like they haven't seen something like me before...[End memory playback]

     My eyes quickly shoot open and I immediately reach my hand out to touch Aj beside me only for them to fall onto the empty space next to me. And again I had felt that unwanted familiar disappointment. I thought he would have been diferent; I thought he would have been here when I woke up. I immediately try to push aside my doubts trying to think about the nice things he has done for me instead.

     I dont want to think of you two as the same...

     I wished that AJ had stayed long enough to let me have a chance to tell him that I had a day off today. Now I will have to wait till 11PM, my usual time I go to work before he comes back. I have know way of contacting him. Wait am I really sad that I can't see him now? I get up and look at myself in the mirror and see a slight bruise on my lip where I had been bitten a little too hard.

     My hands reach up to ghost over the mark. More unwanted thoughts starte to surface as I remember similar marks that had been left on my body before. A vision of a familiar face also flashes quickly across my mind. I blink and try to shake that image from my thoughts.

                                           "You belong to me and I'll be back for what's mine.."

"..just wait here patiently my little bird.."

                                                                                                           "You know I love only you, right?"

     I squeeze my eyes closed and turn on the water to splash onto my face. The coldness of the water shocked me but I continued splashing the water until it ran hot and even then I continued until it burned too hot. Looking up I could see the steam rising from my face. You aren't the same as that person. I think to myself for reassurance.

     I get dressed and look at the clock, it was going to be a long day. After last night I had lost my confidence to go out and do the things I needed to for today. But I knew I couldn't always rely on AJ so regardless of my fears I stepped out into the busy city.

     It wasn't quite raining but droplets still fell from the sky from time to time. I pulled my hood more to cover my face as to not draw attention to myself. It wasn't nearly as busy since most people were still home asleep from last nights partying or they were working. So far I was able to shop freely without being harrassed and I was able to get most the things I needed.

     Then I thought about AJ and wondered if he was taking care of himself, is he taking medicine, and if he was feeding himself properly. There was a Tonic that I wanted to get for him and I wondered if I would be able to get away with buying it. I stopped in front of the store with the blatant sign outside reading "Non-humans not aloud unless accompanied by master!". I sighed at the fact that some people were still this intolerant.

     I wondered if I would be able to fool the cashier and if they had some kind of scanning system that would identify me as "non-human". Taking a deep breath I decided to take the chance and stepped through the doors, pausing, then continued when no alarms went off. I made my way to the cas register and a younger girl was working there. I tried to make minimal contact with her while telling her what I needed.

     She didn't seem suspicous of me at all and handed me my items. As I went to pay her she asked for me to scan my thumb print and I started to panick. Not thinking I stared up at her, confused as to what I was suppose to do next. She looked at me realizing my problem, "Oh..your...well here." She said softly and scanned her own finger print. "Please be careful in the future." She said to me and I was stunned by her generosity.

     "Thank you!" I said several times bowing. She nodded her head but I felt like it wasn't enough. "How can I repay you?" I asked eagerly. SHe could have easily turned me in for breaking a law and be compensated but she didn't. "Maybe take me out some time just for coffee." She says beaming with a smile. I was shy to answer, "Ne, I will." She smiled again. "Great! Just meet me here one week from today at 2:30PM that's when I will be off." I nodded and left. I could here her telling me to be safe on the way home and I smiled.

AJS POV

     I decided to arrive at Kiseops apartment much earlier than usual hoping to spend some time with him before he goes to work. I knocked on his door since I didn't know the passcode to let myself in and I wondered if he would let me have it. I mean after last night I had wondered if it was just a one night thing for him or if he had wanted to take it step further. Either way I didn't mind I wasn't helping Kiseop just to get something out of it.

     He still didn't answer and I wondered if he was still in a deep sleep like I had left him. Did I break him? Nah I couldn't have... I started to panick and knocked harder, even calling out his name. "Yah Kiseopssi!!" I shout over and over again. Then someone taps me softly on the shoulder.

     I swing around quickly to see who it is and it's Kiseop holding bags of groceries and other things. He looked kind of normal...and cute. His face barely poking out from the scarf he had wrapped around him, his eyebrows raised in a questioning way. "AJssi? What's wrong?" He asks. I quickly pull him into a hug thanking God that he was indeed ok.

     "It's nothing I just thought something had happen to you is all. I was worried since I had no way of calling you or getting into your apartment." I explain to him. He nods his head and pulls away, "Ah I see well if you hadn't left so soon I would have been able to give you my information and also tell you I had the day off." He says and I mentally slap myself.

     I could have spent the whole day with him but I messed up by leaving so soon. Also I didn't know that he had wanted me to stay. I thought he would have wanted to be left alone, did he miss me, I wonder? He walk into his apartment and the lights flicker on automatically as he makes his way to the kitchen.

     "Did you have any trouble today?" I ask as he's putting away the items in the bags. "Ani, and actually I met someone." He says. Who? I want to ask him but I don't want to sound jealous already. He's not even my boyfriend officially. "You don't have to worry, she's a nice girl. She helped me today at the pharmacy." He says. I nod my head, "Oh...I guess that's good. Is she pretty?" I accidently let that last part slip out and I bite the inside of my lip. Aj you idiot.

     "Ne, she's a bit plain but it just adds to her charm." He says and I swear I see a small smirk. "Oh and I almost forgot to mention we are going on a date next week, coffee to be exact." I choke on my air and begin to cough, "Date?!" I manage to say. "Mhm, is that a problem?" He says walking out from the kitchen toward me with what seems to be a tonic and a small glass on a tray.

     "Ahh..well...why would it be, I don't see why you would as me something like that." I try to say cooly. He stares at me as if trying to read my mind. "Oh I guess I was mistaken." He says looking a bit sad. Oh know...did I say something wrong? I mentally facepalm and watch him sit the tray down on the small table next to us.

     He's still quiet and it's starting to make me feel awkward. So I decide to say something. It's been a long time since I talked to someone normally instead of just barking orders. I hope I don't mess things up further. "Kiseopssi..." I say softly as I reach out to touch his shoulder. He turns around to hand me a glass full of tonic. "Here I got this for you earlier today to help you heal stronger." He says not looking me in the eyes.

     "Thank you." I say taking the glass and quickly shooting it down knowing that it would not taste good at all. I sat the glass down and started to speak again, "Kiseopssi, did I say something wrong." I place my finger tips lightly under his jawline to raise him up to look at me. "Ani..." He says but I don't believe him.

"Are you sure?" I asked again.

"Ne, you said exactly what I needed to hear." He said.

"And what is that exactly?" I press.

"How you really feel." He says.

     How I really feel? But I didn't tell him how I really felt he must have the wrong impression. I need to fix this quickly. He's walking away back to the kitchen and I know if I don't say something now we wont talk about this later. So I wrap my arms around him and hug him from behing tightly. "Kiseopssi, I don't care if you go out to coffee with that girl, just as long as you promise not to have feelings for her." I say quietly into his ear. I hear his breath hitch as he stiffens in my embrace.

     "And why cant I have feelings for her?" He questions and I want to give him all the reasons why but instead I just simply say, "Because you're mine."