For Some Strange Reason

Not What You Think

Minho had been reluctant to go back to the small restaurant ever since his conversation with Taemin. As the days went by, he found himself being less and less angry at him, but it was no longer about anger. It was just awkward.

It was like running into an ex-girlfriend...only weirder.

But awkwardness and weirdness were both weaker than his stomach.

He was a hungry, and he found himself walking outside in the general direction of the restaurant, telling himself that he wasn't necessarily going there. He'd pass on by and see if Taemin was working or not. After all, he didn't work every day. There was a chance he wouldn't be there at all. Then maybe he would stop in and order a meal to go. Maybe.

Maybe.

When he came to the parking lot, he saw none other than Taemin standing outside - feminine attire and all.

It was dark out, but he could still tell it was him. And he wasn't alone. Jonghyun was with him.

Minho was reminded of the last time he had seen the man pestering Taemin. He laughed inwardly, wondering how the man would feel knowing he had been hitting on a boy the entire time.

He stopped laughing when Jonghyun suddenly struck Taemin, causing him to stumble back. The next thing he knew, Taemin had launched himself at the Jonghyun, knocking him straight to the ground. He fell on top of him and hit him repeatedly with his fists, while Jonghyun futilely tried getting him off.

"Hey!" Minho yelled and ran straight for them. If Taemin heard him, he didn't care. He continued to hit him, even as Minho grabbed him around the waist and pulled him off.

At the same moment, the door to the restaurant opened and Taemin's boss came rushing out, with Sunny at his side.

"Try hitting me again, you bastard!" Taemin yelled down at Jonghyun, who remained on the ground in a disoriented heap.

"Taemin!" Minho yelled, holding him firmly even as he struggled to get away.

"What the hell is going on?" the boss asked, crouching next to Jonghyun to examine him.

"This idiot has been hanging around here all day," Sunny explained, gesturing to Jonghyun. "He’s probably drunk again."

The said man groaned painfully. Taemin's boss looked from him, back to Taemin, who was still in Minho's arms, breathing heavily and bearing a battle wound of his own. He looked indecisive, unsure about how to handle the situation.

"Take him home," he said in the end, addressing Minho, "I'll take care of him."

Minho carefully released his hold on Taemin, unsure how he would act. Still caught up in the anger and adrenaline, he shoved Minho off, then stalked away from the scene, in the direction of home. Minho took one last glance at Jonghyun, before grabbing the purse Taemin had left discarded on the ground, then following after him to carry out his orders.

He met up with the waiter in the middle of the parking lot.

"Well you certainly don't hit like a girl," he commented with a smile, finding something about the situation amusing. Jonghyun looked battered, but probably not too seriously. One thing was for sure though: he wouldn't be hitting on Taeyeon again.

"I can't go home like this!" Taemin said suddenly, stopping and facing him. "I can't let my mother see me like this."

Minho saw that he had tears in his eyes, and he was shaking. He was no longer amused by the situation.

"Hey, it's okay," he tried to console him, while rubbing him comfortingly on the arm. He was still breathing heavily, still trying to process his anger and adrenaline. "Come on. I'll take you to my place."

 


 

Minho met Taemin near the front door, where the boy was standing in front the mirror his uncle had hanging on the wall. He looked at his reflection and the purple bruise that was beginning to form on the left side of his chin. He was obviously displeased.

He held his cell phone up to his ear. "I just wanted to let you know I'm working a little longer tonight," he lied to his mother on the other end.

The short walk to Minho's home had settled him down enough, but he still wasn't ready to face his mother. "I'll let you know when I get out, alright? Love you. Bye."

Taemin hung up the phone and turned to Minho, and the pack of ice he had waiting for him. "I don't know how I'm going to explain this," he said with a sigh, gingerly the bruise.

"You could say you fell," Minho suggested, gently placing the ice against his face. Taemin looked from the mirror to him, a little surprised by his gesture. He took the ice from his hand, preferring to hold it on his own.

"How?"

"Say the floor was wet so you slipped...slammed your face right into a table."

The boy chuckled softly. "I doubt she'd buy it."

"You could tell her the truth?" Minho suggested next.

He looked like he was considering it. "That would only worry her." He moved the ice pack to look at the mark again, as if it would have disappeared in only those few seconds.

Minho drew in closer to get a better look, moving the hair from his face where it was casting a shadow. "It doesn't look that bad..."

"Stop it," Taemin said softly, moving his hand away.

"Stop what?"

"Stop treating me like a girl."

Minho stared at him crossly. "Then stop dressing like one."

Annoyed, he left him by the door and made his way back to the fridge, where he pulled out a few cans of soda. He noticed that Taemin had followed after him, but he pretended to search for food instead of noticing him.

"Do you want to be treated like a man? Then it up. You're not the first person to get into a fist fight."

Taemin looked like he wanted to say something, but he never spoke. Minho approached him and held out one of the sodas, before dropping it into his hand. "You know, I know in my head what you are...but I can't help it. If you're going to look like a girl, you're going to get treated like one."

"Is that why you're being so nice, even after I led you on?"

"Partly."

"What's the other part?"

"Because for some strange reason I still like being around you."