The Return Home

Not What You Think

Minho watched Taemin as they drove through the familiar area that was home to him.

He could tell he was nervous. The closer they got to Minho's house, the more the boy started to shift in his seat. His hands were together on his lap, on top of his blue skirt.

The taxi was silent. Minho was no more comfortable returning home than Taemin was accompanying him. There were still some things he was dreading about it, but he had decided it would be for the better. He continued to tell himself that over and over.

Besides, having Taemin living in his house (for a short period of time until he found his own place) was bound to make life a little more bearable.

Absently watching Taemin was a nice distraction from most of those thoughts. He was as pretty as always - make up, jewelry, a skirt. He wondered what his father would honestly think of him.

"Can I ask you something?" Minho interrupted the silence.

Taemin looked at him. "What?"

He spoke quietly, so the driver wouldn't be able to hear the conversation between them. "Why do you cross-dress? I mean, why the big charade?"

Taemin shrugged, like he wasn't really sure of the answer himself. "It wasn't really a charade until you entered the picture. My boss and co-workers knew, and I didn't really have to explain myself to anyone else. And all the workers at the diner were girls, so I just fit in."

"Why the fake name?"

"My boss called me Taeyeon as a joke, then it kinda stuck. He also thought it would be better if people didn't know I was boy, for the restaurant's sake and mine. It was just like I was another one of the girls. No one ever questioned 'Taeyeon' because I never got close with anyone, before you."

"But why do you do it?"

"Why do you do what you do? Wear what you wear? Because it feels good and...somehow makes you happy."

"Skirts makes you happy?"

"Don't skirts make you happy?" Taemin teased.

"Not when I'm wearing them."

Taemin chuckled softly and finally seemed to relax a bit. "I doesn't matter for me. I don't think I can explain it to you."

"You want to know what I think?" Minho said.

"What?"

He paused for a moment before continuing. "I think you use it to hide yourself. To keep people from getting too close."

"Really?" he asked with narrowed eyes.

Minho nodded. He could tell Taemin wanted to hear more of his theory, but Minho felt he had said just what needed to be said.

Besides, they were pulling into the driveway and the time for conversation was over.

 


 

As they entered into the large home, Minho had the urge to hold Taemin's hand. He decided against it though. That probably shouldn't be the first thing his father saw as his prodigal son returned home. He opted for standing by his side instead, watching him as he took in the large foyer in wonder.

Certainly, having the pretty boy around the house would make things more interesting.

Minho's father was standing there waiting for them with a soft smile on his face. He was truly glad to see his son again.

"Hey, dad," he said, smiling nervously.

"It's good to have you back, Minho," he replied, looking just as nervous and awkward. That newfound father/son happy relationship was going to take some getting used to.

"I take it this is your friend?" he asked, gesturing to the awe-struck boy standing beside him.

"Yes. This is Taemin. Taemin...my dad," he introduced, gesturing to them both respectively.

Taemin stepped forward and shook his hand, "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Choi."

"You as well. Minho has told me quite a lot about you. I hope you'll feel at home here for as long as you stay."

"Thank you, sir."

His father then turned to the housekeeper who was standing nearby, and gestured for her to come forward. "She will show you to your room, Taemin."

He nodded, though Minho could tell he was still very nervous about being in such a large house.

"I'll come find you in a minute," he assured him, as the housekeeper led him up the stairs to the bedrooms on the second story. Minho waited until he was out of sight, before turning his attention back to his father.

"Thanks for agreeing to this, dad," he said simply. "I'll make the necessary phone calls to the school in the morning."

His father simply nodded. He was now the one who looked uncomfortable, and suddenly serious. "Do I have to be concerned?" he asked, gesturing in the general direction Taemin had gone.

Minho knew immediately what he meant. "No, dad, trust me, we're only friends.”

Somehow, it felt like a lie.


 

A/N: There's only one more chapter left. T_T