Rushed Confession

Not What You Think

The second date had quickly turned into a third, and the third inevitably turned into a fourth. Minho had spent another month in town, experiencing elated emotions like he never had before. He didn't think he could be any more content. Even though his life was drastically different than what he had before, he couldn't have been happier.

That day wasn't another date. It was simply one of the few times he had offered to walk Taeyeon home from work. Minho's uncle lived only a block from the small restaurant, so it wasn't hard for him to be there exactly when the young waitress got off. He made sure not to hang around too often, as it didn't want to look over-bearing, but that night was one of the few days he just couldn't resist.

So he offered to walk her home, and after a scoff and a roll of her eyes, she agreed. Even though she still acted like she didn't want to date him, he knew she enjoyed his company. When she put down her guard, he could see that she liked him.

"Do you have any plans for after you graduate?" he asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

"I haven't thought about it much," she replied, with her attention to the sidewalk beneath their feet, "It'd be nice to go to college, but I'll have to see. Finances and all..."

Growing up, finances had never been a problem for Minho's family. College for him wasn't a dream, or an option - it was a fact. As soon as he returned home, that was where he was headed. He took a second to think about what it would be like if he didn't have to go through school alone, if he could have someone who was reaching for their goals alongside of him.

"Are you going to school when you go home?" she asked, glancing his direction and moving the fallen bangs out of her eyes. Minho absently noticed that they were getting longer and she was constantly moving them.

"Yeah, I suppose so."

"You don't sound very excited."

"I can't say I am."

She stopped walking suddenly and turned to face him. She was very serious. "If you have the means to go, you should be grateful and go."

"I didn't say I was ungrateful!" he replied, a little offended. "I just said I wasn't excited. Going to school means going home, and going home means going away from you."

She recoiled, stunned. "Minho, I told you...I don't want this turning serious."

"I can't help it." He closed the space between them with a single step and took her by the face. Before she was able to stop him, he stooped down and kissed her.

She pushed him back just as suddenly as he had kissed her. "Minho--!"

"I love you," he confessed.

She went from flustered to stunned once again. "...What?"

"I love you," he reiterated more softly. He closed the space between them again, but this time he didn't kiss her. He gently moved the bangs out of her eyes. He was surprised she didn't pull away from him. She just stood there, with her eyes searching the ground.

"You don't know what you're talking about," she said in the end.

"I've never been more sure about anything."

She turned away from him and sighed in frustration, before pacing around him anxiously.

"Taeyeon," he said softly, taking her by the arm and stopping her. She moved her hand from her face and looked at him. She was upset, but obviously not upset enough to back away, or to tell him to leave her alone, or to tell him not to kiss her again.

She remained perfectly still as he stooped once more and pressed his lips against hers.

They were trembling ever so softly, but he made sure to ease her worries. He moved his hands from her arms to around her waist and pulled her against his body, holding her tenderly. She was still stiff. Her hands were against his chest to keep just enough space between them, but eventually, like he knew she would, she relaxed.

Her body fell into his and her hands moved from his chest, snaking around his neck.

He finally felt her full lips move against his, returning the kiss.