One Complicated Day at a Time

Not What You Think

He hated it.

He hated the nice clothes he was wearing, he hated the strict schedule he would be subject to, and he hated the massive amount of studying that was ahead for him.

He looked in the mirror and hardly recognized the man staring back at him. It wasn't the type of person he ever envisioned himself as. He had been untamed and free. Now he was...exactly what his father wanted him to be.

He tried to reaffirm in his head what Taemin had said to him before. Just because it was good for his father, didn't mean it couldn't be good for him as well.

"Taemin!" he called as he pulled himself away from his hideous reflection in the mirror and fixed his collar one more time. "We're gonna be late." There was no need to make that day any more unpleasant.

He grabbed his jacket on the way out of his bedroom. He walked the length of the hallway to the room that had become Taemin's in the passed two weeks.

He stopped in the doorway, dead in his tracks. It wasn't the Taemin he expected to find, dressed for his first day of work. There was no make-up, no skirt, and no heels.

He was dressed much the way a young male assistant would dress. Even his long hair was tied up behind his head. At the moment, it was the only thing left of "Taeyeon".

"What?" Taemin asked as Minho stood there, staring at him.

"What's this?"

"What do you think? I'm going to work."

"As a guy this time?"

The boy nodded and dropped his gaze, looking a little embarrassed over the subject. "Well I thought a little about what you said. I guess I was hiding, and I don't want to hide anymore. I don't want to run from people. And I don't want to lie anymore."

Minho stepped into his room and looked him over again, before straightening out his crooked tie. "I like you better this way."

"Really?" He didn't sound like he believed him.

"I have less of an urge to kiss you."

"That didn’t stop you before."

Minho shrugged, but didn’t reply. It was true after all. And he wasn’t sure that urge would ever go away, no matter what he was wearing.

"You know, Minho, I can't promise you Taeyeon won't make a reappearance sometimes. I've been dressing like a girl for so long, this...almost doesn't feel right."

"You'll get used to it. Just like I'll get used to school life."

Taemin chuckled softly, looking between the two of them. Who would have guessed they were the same two people who would go on dates a few months ago? They both looked so different.

"I never said thank you," Taemin said, suddenly serious. He reached out and absently swiped a lose hair off of Minho's shirt. "For getting me the job, for being there for me...for everything."

"It's what friends do, Taemin."

“Friends?” he asked. “Is that really what we are?”

Minho shrugged. “Complicated friends?”

Taemin smiled softly, but he could tell that answer didn’t satisfy him. “Are you still in love with me? And give me a straight answer this time, please.”

The question surprised Minho. Not because he had asked it, but because he had picked such an awkward time to ask it.

They were really going to be late.

“I don’t know. It’s complicated. I don’t like men…but I like you…but not like that. I mean, it’s not like I want to sleep with you or anything…I just…”

Taemin started chuckling. Minho was a little annoyed that he found his confusion so amusing.

“What about you?”

“Hey, I never said I was in love with you,” Taemin answered.

“But you kissed me too, remember? You have to feel something.”

“I do.”

“Well?”

Without saying anything, he closed the space between them and pulled Minho into a hug.

He was a little surprised by the forwardness, but it wasn’t at all awkward. Right then, it felt like the most natural thing in the world.

“It’s complicated,” Taemin answered.

He had no idea what they were going to do about that complication. But then again, they didn’t have time to think about it. Not then. Honestly, Minho would have preferred to stay there, to hold him longer, but the day ahead was calling.

And their embrace was over within a few seconds.

"Come on," he said, taking Taemin by the hand and leading him from the bedroom, "We’re gonna be late."

He had class, Taemin had work. The both of them had different obligations, but they would face them together, one complicated day at a time.

 

The End.


 

 

A/N: I just wanna say thank you one last time to everyone who subscribed, and an extra-special thank you to you guys who commented and upvoted.

I hope this last chapter didn't disappoint. (Though I'm sure some of you were hoping for something more romantic...)

This story is done, but I'll be back with others. (I have another massive 2min fic in the works.) So keep an eye out for me. ;)

Any last comments would be truly appreciated.

Until next time...

-Endellee :)