A Good Excuse

Not What You Think

Taemin was very stickler about their one hour agreement. After the allotted amount of time had passed, he wished Sunny one last "Happy Birthday" and said good bye, before telling her his mother wasn't feeling too well and he wanted to get home to her.

Minho couldn’t bring himself to ask if it was the truth, or just a random excuse to get them out of there.

The two of them left the apartment and were on their way to the parking lot, walking in silence. Taemin seemed oddly contemplative. After having such a nice time, Minho thought he would have been happier.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Minho said as he twirled his uncle's keys around on his finger.

"Can I ask you something?" Taemin asked instead of answering. He stopped just before the car.

"Sure," Minho said, noticing how serious he was.

"Are you still in love with me?"

He paused, surprised by the question.

He had been trying to block that rushed confession from his mind ever since he found out he was a boy. He hadn't actually thought about it since then. Or about his feelings. Or about how Taemin might feel about his feelings.

"I fell in love with a lie," he said simply, before opening the passenger side door for Taemin.

The boy looked at him strangely. "Yet you're still going along with that lie...why?"

Minho gestured for him to get inside, so he did. Minho thought about his question as he circled the car and came to the driver's side. He got in with Taemin, then found his answer.

"I guess...you're a good excuse."

"Excuse for what?"

"For not going back home."

Taemin shifted in his seat to face him better, but he said nothing, knowing that Minho had more to say.

"I guess if I tell myself I have someone here, then it gives me some reason for staying. Even if it is just a friend, at least it’s a reason."

"You really don't want to go home that badly?"

He shook his head. "I haven't spoken to my father since I got here. We didn't exactly part on the best of terms."

"But he's your father, I'm sure he only wants what's best for you."

"Sometimes it feels like it’s what's best for him - what people expect his son to do. I want to make my own choice, you know?"

"That's good, Minho...just be careful you don't throw away something good, just so you can say you're independent. Going to school or working in your father's company might be good for him, but it could be good for you, too."

Minho couldn’t help but smile. "And you wonder why I still hang out with you?"

Taemin smiled shyly, before sinking back into his seat. "You gonna take me home, Mr. Minho?"

He flashed him a charming smile as he started the engine. "Home it is, Ms. Taeyeon."


 

A/N: These chapters are short. XD