Lee Kaeun

I am Lee Kaeun (PG-13 mature content)

I am Lee Kaeun.

 

I came from a normal family, led a normal life in a small town…

 

Until I mixed with the wrong friends.

 

Just on my 20th birthday, I assisted my friends in an unintentional manslaughter.

 

We were drinking, celebrating for not much of a reason until suddenly I realised that turning into an adult wasn’t always great.

 

Sure, it became legal for me to drink or get myself a driving license, but haven’t I already drank and drove many times long before turning twenty?

 

The age gave me no advantages, instead it got me a right.

 

The right wasn’t a good kind of right.

 

 The only right it gave me was the right to be able to go to jail.

 

~

 

So practically what happened was that when drinking with my friends, some of us got really drunk and we dragged a nosy person who actually tried to stop us from causing nuisance on the streets into a dark alley and ‘swish!’

 

Had his throat slit.

 

Had we been sober, we would have been incredibly horrified with what we have done.

 

Had I not been totally wasted, I would be able to run away with the others when the patrol police found us in the nick of time.

 

And just like that I have been framed of killing an innocent, becoming a murderer and a family ruiner.

 

I felt ashamed and betrayed.

 

Ashamed of myself being such a naughty daughter to my parents, and betrayed that none of my so called friends actually stood up to admit their wrongdoing.

 

They actually expected that I took up their punishment.

 

I understand though, I actually helped in a murder and deserved to be punished.

 

Why drag the others together with you when one person can receive the entire punishment herself?

 

Even though some of you may say: B-but how?! I mean, if the police checked for fingerprints on the weapons and- and also- how about the process of interrogation?! Didn’t they know that there obviously have to have more than one person to take part in this crime?

 

The thing is that: I live in a small town, a small town which would not be able to hold up large scale investigations and the police here would like to close up any case as soon as possible.

 

And just like any another case, they close this one up pretty quickly.

 

Lee Kaeun, sentenced to 5 years in the Women’s Prison for manslaughter.