Turnaround

Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

 

Chapter 9 – Turnaround

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

“..and dip and up!” Jaewook shouted over the music. He’s been with Bom and Youngbae since 6 am this morning learning the choreography for their song.

 

“The movement has to be fluid,” he reminded them.

 

Youngbae ran a hand through his mohawk. “Just…” he panted. “Let me catch… my breath.”  He leaned forward and rested his hands on his knees.

 

“We gotta finish this by lunch,” Bom said. “It’s CL’s shoot today.”

 

Youngbae looked at her. “Noona, I’m not gonna last that long. You’re gonna kill me before lunch. What have you been eating lately?”

 

Bom glared at him. “Yah! Who are you calling fat?”

 

Youngbae held his hands up and let out a laugh. “I didn’t say that,” he teased. “But seriously..umph.”

 

Bom threw a shoe at him and hit his arm. “I’m not fat!” she huffed.

 

“Bom-ah, does Ssabunim know you’ve been living in corn again?” Jaewook asked amused.

 

“Oppa!” Bom took offense. “I haven’t had corn since two days ago! It’s all water.”

 

 “Water? Did you happen to drink a tub of it? You gotta lose all that water before promo-“

 

Bom didn’t let him finish and threw another shoe at him. “You walking lump of… muscle. Yah!” Bom gritted her teeth. She doesn’t like it when people make fun of her weight. God, she hates dieting.

 

Youngbae noticed her long legs as she now stood barefoot in front of him. “Well, at least your legs don’t have water,” he said staring at them.

 

 She stomped her feet clearly irritated. “Will you stop it! I didn’t gain anything, obviously my legs are proof of it!”

 

“It’s your upper body, noona. It wasn’t your legs I’ve been carrying for the last four hours. My arms are falling off, can’t you see?” Youngbae slightly lifted his arms.

 

Bom continued glaring at him.

 

“But really..” Youngbae continued.

 

“Shut it, landing strip!” she hissed at him.  She turned around and grabbed her water bottle. “Maybe you should exercise more, dongsaeng. You’re getting weak.” She took a swig before adding, “And a word to the wise, never call a girl fat. No wonder you’re single. You’re as clueless as ever.”

 

“She’s got a point,” Jaewook agreed.

 

“Yah!” Youngbae exclaimed. “I can get a girl if I wanted to!”

 

Bom smirked at him. “Tsk. You wish.”

 

“Alright, break it up you two,” Jaewook chimed in.

 

“He started it!” Bom said.

 

“What?! You called yourself fat! How is it my fault?” Youngbae answered back.

 

“Enough!” Jaewook yelled at them. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, counting in his head. “From the top,” he ordered them.

 

Reluctantly, Youngbae walked over and stood beside Bom. His right arm wrapped around her lower back while his left hand clasped with hers.

 

“Let’s run through it again,” Jaewook instructed. “Lock your leg behind hers.”

 

Youngbae looked at himself in the mirror and step his leg behind Bom.

 

“Now, go forward and bring her down.”

 

Bom felt herself leaning back as Youngbae gripped her waist tighter and supported her upper body. She looked up and found him struggling to keep her up. Youngbae bit his lip and took a deep breath in. He could feel his arms getting numb from over exertion.

 

“Sweep her around and then up,” Jaewook continued.

 

Shakily, Youngbae moved to the side. Bom thought he was gonna give out and drop her so she wrapped her arms around his neck and tried to pull herself up. Youngbae felt the tug and lost his balance. In panic, his hands quickly went behind Bom’s head and braced for the fall.

 

*Blag*

 

The impact wasn’t that hard but Youngbae’s arms hurt like hell.  He landed on top of Bom who was groaning beneath him. Lifting his head up, he looked at her as he cradled her head.

 

“Bommie, are you okay?” Youngbae whispered.

 

Bom blinked at him in response and nodded. “I-I think so.” Youngbae’s warm breath touched her cheek. They were so close to each other she could feel his quick but steady heartbeat. Surprisingly, it was in sync with hers.

 

Jaewook shook his head. “Yah, yah, get up you two,” he interrupted.

 

Both of them looked up at him before Youngbae rolled onto his back and brought Bom on top of him.

 

“You sure your head’s okay?” he asked worried, unconsciously rubbing the back of Bom’s head.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said quietly as she pushed herself up.  It was good to know that on top of all the teasing, he was at least concerned about her.

 

“We’ll take five and start again,” Jaewook clapped his hands as everybody dispersed.

 

“Maybe you need to get off water as well,” Youngbae suggested.

 

Bom kicked him in the shin before walking away. So much for concern.

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

Nabi entered in the Media Department with a Spongebob backpack. She stopped at the doorway and was hesitant to move forward. Lifting an arm up, she blindly reached behind her. Dara caught her hand and continued walking in.

 

“We’re gonna find Sojung-oppa today,” Dara explained to the toddler as they walked side by side.

 

*Knock*Knock*

 

“Oppa,” Dara said after opening the door to Sojung’s office.

 

“Dara-yah! Come in,” Sojung looked up from his office table. “Annyeong, Nabi-yah,” he gave the little girl a smile. “What are you doing here?”

 

Dara sat in front of him and put Nabi on her lap. The little girl kept still eyeing Sojung curiously.

 

“Just dropping by catching up on some work,” Dara answered.

 

Sojung nodded. “Is that so. Well, CL’s shoot is today. Bom will do the MV by the end of the month, and you have 2 world tours to prepare for. It’s gonna be one heck of a year for you, Dara.”

 

Dara sighed and leaned back against the chair. “Right. That’s good, isn’t it? Work’s good.”

 

Sojung knew what was bothering his Director of Communications. He looked at Nabi who stared back at him with wide eyes.

 

The little girl turned around to Dara and said, “Woshilshi?”

 

This clearly surprised Sojung. “She’s talking now?”

 

Dara gave a small laugh. “Yeah. Two days ago…” It brought back memories of a happy Jiyong and that stolen kiss. She mentally shook her head to forget about it. “And she’s been saying things since then. I think she’s trying to catch up. But it’s all gibberish.”

 

“Dashi woshilshi?” Nabi asked again.

 

Dara gently rubbed her arms. “That’s Sojung-oppa,” she told Nabi knowing she’s curious about the new person in the room.

 

“Nabi-yah,” Sojung called out to her. “Be nice to Dara-unnie, eh? Your appa’s being hard on her.”

 

“Oppa,” Dara tried to chastise him. Nabi hugged her and buried her face at the crook of her neck. She wrapped her arms around the little girl. “She’s really sensitive, you know? I think she understands you so be nice.”

 

Sojung grinned. “That’s good to know. At least one Kwon knows which way is up. Even though she’s only two.”

 

Dara smiled at him.

 

“Dara-yah, try not to get involved too much. This is serious. You can’t come out of this unscathed. It’s Jiyong we’re talking about. It might not be him, but the people around him. Even his fans.”

 

“I understand, oppa. But you know me. I know what I’m doing.”

 

“Arasso. I’m just worried.”

 

“Thanks, oppa.” Dara knew how much he cared for her and she was genuinely grateful. Since the scandal came out, there have been a hundred things running through her head. But the need to help Jiyong and Nabi topped everything else. She wanted to protect the little girl.

 

“I have a press conference tonight. I suggest all of you better stay in your dorm after the shoot.”

 

“Neh,” Dara replied. She stood up from the chair and said, “We’ll go ahead. Nabi-yah, say goodbye to oppa. C’mon. ”

 

Nabi lifted her head from her neck and waved her hand at Sojung. “Ansholshishiel,” she said.

 

“Annyeong, Nabi-yah,” Sojung waved back. He saw how attached the little girl was to Dara. Somehow, they’ve forged a connection in the little time they’ve spent together. No wonder she felt protective of Jiyong’s daughter. He shouldn’t have been surprised, though. Everybody loves  Dara. Nabi wasn’t an exception.

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

After talking to Sojung, Dara brought Nabi to the conference room next to Bom’s dance studio. They were supposed to go together to CL’s shoot. While waiting for her, Dara busied herself with handmade banners for the upcoming promotions.

 

Nabi grabbed a red marker and scribbled on Dara’s sheet of paper. She drew a line across Bom’s name and ended it in swirls.

 

“Ommo,” Dara said in surprise.  “What are you drawing, honey?”

 

The little girl looked up at her proudly. “Begushulisehoyelei.”

 

Dara laughed at her. She hasn’t got a clue what she was saying. “Are you making it prettier for Auntie Bom?”

 

Nabi nodded. “Huyelshiwoteish.”

 

“Okay..” Dara answered and continued writing.

 

“Woshiwelshiyelo.”

 

“Uh-uh.”

 

“Keishowoyshiels.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yeepshumishimim?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Waeshyuolsiteimish.”

 

“Probably.”

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Bom looked so confused. She was about to knock on the door but instead overhead the two talking. Despite its absurdity, Bom found it very entertaining.

 

Nabi brightened at the sight of her. She jumped from her seat and went to hug Bom who picked her up.

 

“Mwah!” Bom gave her a kiss.

 

“Mah!” Nabi responded.

 

“Hey, Bom,” Dara waved at her. “Look, we’re making you banners.”

 

“I could see that.”

 

“Boshiyeloweishilsei,” Nabi added clapping her hands.

 

Bom looked at her then turned to Dara. “What did she say?”

 

Dara shrugged. “I dunno. Just say something. Encourage her to talk.”

 

Bom laughed. “And here I thought you could understand Nabi speak.”

 

“Whatever gave you that idea? Even Jiyong couldn’t tell the difference between weilsheshu and koeyeiya,” Dara said. “The important thing is she’s trying to communicate.”

 

“I understand,” Bom replied. “We better go if we wanna get there after lunch.”

 

“Okay.” Dara fixed her things and took Nabi from Bom. “We better find your appa. Auntie Dara needs to go somewhere.”

 

“Owishewosh.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

“Look, I’m sorry.”

 

CL looked at the mirror and found Top standing behind her. She gave him a curt nod and didn’t say anything.

 

“I was out of line.”

 

“You were. I never imagined you’d be one of those people.”

 

Top flinched knowing exactly what she meant.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

CL shrugged. “It’s over and done with. Let’s not be awkward about it. At least I know where you stand.”

 

Top turned her chair to face him and kneeled on one knee. He rested his arms on either side of her before letting out a deep sigh.

 

“W-what are you doing,” CL asked surprised.

 

“I’m really sorry,” he apologized again. “I didn’t mean to offend you or anything...”

 

“Okay. I know how one dimensional you are with this stuff. But Tabi-oppa, that doesn’t give you the right to judge others.”

 

Top nodded in agreement.

 

“You’ve got your standards and I’ve got mine. Let’s just respect each other’s differences.”

 

“Yes. I understand that now.”

 

CL gave him a small smile. “You weren’t the first one, anyway. Your opinion mattered, though. Did you really think my photos were a bit over the top?”

 

Top didn’t miss the pun. He looked at her and said, “Honestly? Yes. But that’s just me. I like my girl more conservative, you know?”

 

“I didn’t make your list, huh?” CL asked him. She never liked beating around the bush. People knew how straightforward she could be.

 

“It’s not that,” Top said reluctantly. “Do you want to be in my list?”

 

“Do you even like me?”

 

Top blinked at her. “I don’t know..”

 

“Let me know when you figure it out,” CL said slightly patting his cheek.

 

“Arasso,” Top replied. “Lunch on me? I wanna make it up to you.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I know just the place.”

 

 

 

20 minutes later…

 

 

 

CL stepped out of the car. “This doesn’t look like a restaurant.”

 

“It’s not. Follow me,” Top said walking to the big wooden doors. He pressed the small red button on the right.

 

A few moments later, a middle aged woman opened the door.

 

“Hyunie, you’re here,” the lady said and ushered them in.

 

CL looked around and noticed that it was a private home. Top stepped forward and gave the lady a tight hug.

 

“I brought Chaerin with me.”

 

CL smiled at the lady and bowed. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

 

The lady smiled back in return. “Annyeonghaseyo, Chaerin-ah. Come in, the food is waiting.”

 

It felt like she stepped into an art gallery as CL followed them inside. All the rooms she passed by had a piece she recognized. They finally entered the kitchen and were directed to a breakfast nook at the corner. It was right next to the window overlooking the garden.

 

“It’s a very simple meal. Seunghyun didn’t give me time to prepare.”

 

CL shook her head and said, “Ani, Auntie. This is more than enough. I’m sorry for causing trouble. If I’d known earlier, we could’ve brought lunch with us.  Mianhe.”

 

“Nonsense, dear. There’s strawberries and cream for dessert, Seunghyun-ah.”

 

“Chincha, omma?” Top said excitedly. It’s his favorite.

 

CL turned her head to look at him. “O-omma? This is your house?”

 

Top nodded.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” she hissed at him. “I’m so sorry Auntie. I should’ve brought you something. Tabi-oppa forgot to mention we were having lunch with you.”

 

Mrs. Choi gave a soft laugh. “It’s okay, Chaerin-ah. You better start eating or the food will get cold.”

 

“Neh, omma,” Top replied reaching for his chopsticks.

 

“Yah! At least invite your mom before starting,” CL reprimanded Top. He pouted at her in reply.

 

“Aigoo, so childish. Auntie, I’m sorry for his manners. Is he like this always?” CL kicked him under the table.  Top winced. “Will you please join us? You’ve prepared so much.” she continued. The invitation didn’t go unnoticed by the mother and son.

 

“Thank you, Chaerin-ah. But you go ahead and eat.”

 

“I insist, Auntie,” CL said nudging Top to say something.

 

“A-ah, neh omma,” was all he could say.

 

It was so refreshing for Mrs. Choi to see his son giving in to someone other than her. “Arasso.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure it’s here?” Bom asked.

 

“Yes, Bom. I already called manager-oppa. They’ve only got a few more scenes to do so hurry up!” Dara answered as she slammed her car door shut.

 

They found the set not far from the parking lot. CL and Top were still in the middle of the shoot and they could hear the director giving out instructions as they tried their best to follow through.

 

“Are they almost done?” Dara asked their manager as she sat beside him.

 

“Neh. Just one more scene,” their manager answered. “She’s been waiting for you for hours.”

 

“And cut!” the director said. “Take five and then we’ll shoot the finale.”

 

“Unnie!” Chaerin called out and ran to them. “Where have you been?”

 

“Mianhe, Chaerin-ah. Dara got lost,” Bom said.

 

“Because of you, you defective navigation!” Dara exclaimed. “I demand a refund.”

 

Bom snorted. “I’ve got a strict no return, no exchange policy. You just gotta deal with it.”

 

“You’re hopless…” Dara muttered.

 

“Oh, noona. You came,” Top greeted them.

 

“Have you had lunch?” Dara asked them. “We brought food.”

 

CL nodded. “Done. A couple of hours ago. I’ve still got dessert, you want?”

 

“Omma packed too much strawberries and cream for us,” Top added.

 

Their manager handed them the frozen delight and they all fell into a light conversation until the director called for the final scene.

 

“I hope we nail this the first time,” CL muttered getting into position.

 

“Why?” Top asked curiously.

 

“I’ve seen how these things are done. They made Dara-unnie kiss Minho-ssi so many times I lost count. It was pointless, really.”

 

Top snickered.

 

“I did that CF, CL-ssi, and it wasn’t pointless,” the director said after overhearing. “Plus, the song title was Kiss.”

 

CL groaned. “Fine. Let’s just get this over with.”

 

“Top-ssi, you take the lead. We’ll see how the first one goes.”

 

“W-what do you mean see how it goes? Don’t we have a plan for this?” CL asked.

 

“Not really. He just needs to kiss you. You both know the concept. Show me.”

 

“Just wing it,” Top advised.

 

CL glared at him. “Easy for you to say,” she hissed.

 

“Okay, camera ready!” the director stepped back. “Music on, please.”

 

The soft beats of their song floated in the air.

 

“And action!”

 

Top took a step towards CL and placed a hand at the side of her neck. His thumb gently moved in circles just below her ear.

 

“Relax,” he whispered before tilting her head and leaning in.

 

CL’s mind went blank as soon as their lips touched. Her eyes closed in response to the shiver than ran up her spine. All her senses seemed to be aware of Top. He angled her head more and wrapped an arm around her waist. He pulled her closer and started moving his lips against hers. CL reacted on instinct as she mimicked his actions. Slowly, her hand raked through his head as arms tightened around his neck.

 

Top was lost. CL tasted like strawberries and cream and he couldn’t get enough of her. Taking full advantage, his tongue parted her lips and expertly explored . He heard her moan which brought him back to his senses. Gently, he pulled away and rested their foreheads together. She opened her eyes and looked at him.

 

The wind swept CL’s hair and curtained their faces from the camera. Top gave her a shy smile as he leaned in for another kiss – a sweet, languid, gentle kiss.

 

“Cut!” the director’s voice cut through the moment.

 

The two broke apart but didn’t let go of each other.

 

“I think I need a new list… and you’re definitely in it.” Top breathed with a foolish grin.

 

CL could only smile in return.

 

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

 Bom and Dara stared at the monitor as the scene unfolded before them.

 

“Is she allowed to do that?” Dara whispered.

 

“Damn,” Bom said. “I think it’s Tabi’s lucky day.”

 

“I don’t think that’s luck,” Dara replied noticing the change between 2NE1’s leader and Big Bang’s killer rapper.

 

“He definitely got luckier than Jiyong…” Bom mused.

 

Dara slapped her arm and glowered at her. “Will you please stop talking about it or I’m gonna make Youngbae the luckiest guy on your MV shoot.”

 

“Yah!” Bom frowned and stuck out her tongue in response.

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

A/N: late update and this isn't edited. i haven't slept a wink just to post this. i hope you enjoyed the chapter. i couldn't find time to write the past few days. also, happy lunar new year everyone! i hope you're enjoying the holidays! i'll try to get another update before the end of cny. enjoy the food! wishing you a good year of the horse! kung hei fat choi! thanks to everyone who read, commented, subscribed, and upvoted. i will try my best to finish the next chapter asap. let me know what you think or just drop me some encouragement! :)