Hugs and Kisses

Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

 

Chapter 10  –  Hugs and Kisses

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was slumped at the couch flipping through channels, trying to find something slightly interesting to pass time. Finding none, she settled on a music station and turned the volume low.

 

CL plopped down next to her fiddling with her phone. “What time’s the presscon?” she asked without looking up.

 

 “In a bit,” Dara answered. “Is Mingkki here yet?”

 

CL nodded. “They’re in the kitchen.”

 

“Bom-ah!” Dara called out. “Keep off the corn! Youngbae said you almost killed him this morning.”

 

CL snickered. Minzy came in with a bowl of cucumber sticks followed by Bom with the drinks.

 

“Yah! Did he tell you that?” Bom sat beside CL on the floor.

 

“Ani, Ji did. The poor guy almost dropped Nabi at the studio.”

 

“Jiyong? Bom asked knowingly. “How often does the dragon check on you?”

 

Dara flushed slightly. “It’s nothing like that Bom.”

 

“He called her four times while I was recording,” Minzy said.

 

“Mingkki!”

 

“And he wouldn’t stop texting. Teddy-oppa had to take away his phone just so we could finish the song.”

 

“Yah! Is that why your phone was beeping nonstop while you were driving?” Bom asked. “I swear I thought there was something wrong with your car.”

 

“I’ve never seen him so distracted until today,” Minzy said, adding more fuel to the fire.

 

“Darong! Is there something you’re not telling us?” CL exclaimed.

 

Dara’s eyes widened in panic, “W-what… I should be the one asking you that, Pudong-ah! Making out with Mr. T-O-P in public, have you no shame? Tsk.”

 

“She did?” Minzy asked surprised.

 

“Unnie!” CL cried out blushing brightly. “That was for work.”

 

“Hopeless and shameless,” Bom laughed at them. “I didn’t really see Jiyong as the clingy type,” she mused.

 

“Well, Nabi is,” Minzy said munching on a cucumber. “The apple doesn’t really fall far from the tree.”

 

“Hmm. You’re right,” Bom agreed.

 

“What are you even saying?” Dara asked disbelievingly. 

 

“Can we please talk about the big, fat, pink elephant in the room?” CL sighed.

 

“Yah!”

 

“She wasn’t talking about you, Bom.”

 

Minzy giggled. “Let me get this straight,” she looked at them and pointed at each member, “You and Youngbae-oppa, you and Jiyong-oppa, you and Seunghyun-oppa.”

 

The three looked anywhere but at their maknae’s meaningful gaze.

 

“Aigoo,” Minzy teased. “I went to bed with badass unnies and when I woke up they’re all hormonal teenagers.” It was quite amusing to find out that her three favorite girls were having boy troubles. Finally.

 

“We’re just friends,” Bom said matter-of-factly. Cliché but true.

 

“So were Jay-Z and Beyonce,” Minzy pointed out.

 

“He kissed me,” CL said dreamily.  She still hasn’t gotten off the high from that afternoon’s event.

 

Minzy smiled at her honesty. “I didn’t see that one coming.”

 

 “I’m very much single,” Dara affirmed just as her phone rang. She looked at them and answered, “Jiyong-ah… neh.”

 

“Not for long,” Minzy shook her head and wagged an index finger at her.

 

Dara stuck her tongue out at her. She reached for the TV remote and turned up the volume.

 

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong just got home when he received a message from Sujong.  He the television and sat down on the couch, placing Nabi beside him.

 

Sojung, YG and the Winner kids were doing the introductions when he decided to make a call.

 

“Jiyong-ah…” Dara answered.

 

“You at the dorm?”

 

“Neh.”

 

“Turn on your TV it’s starting.”

 

He heard a shuffling noise and Minzy muttering something on the other end. Not long after, YG’s voice echoed through the line.

 

“Yayayooong!” Nabi squealed when she recognized the man in the box.

 

Jiyong smiled and nodded at his daughter.

 

Yang Hyun Suk (YHS): This will be a busy year for YG. As was announced these last few weeks, 2NE1 and Big Bang will continue to be active for 2014 in addition to Winner who will debut soon.

           Press: Any definite schedules that we can look forward to?

YHS: Yes, yes. Winner will debut in February. 2NE1 will kick off their world tour in March, hopefully with their 2nd album. And Big Bang will be preparing for a summer comeback.

 

“Seems like I gotta start writing again,” Jiyong commented.

 

“Seems like it,” Dara replied.

 

Press: There are news about a possible collaboration between Big Bang and 2NE1, can you confirm?

YHS: Ah. CL and Top were chosen for a collaboration of two major clothing brands. Taeyang will come out a new song which features 2NE1’s Park Bom, who incidentally wrote the song as well.

 

“Noona wrote the song?” Jiyong asked surprised.

 

“Yeah, you didn’t know?” Dara answered.

 

“No. Does Youngbae know?”

 

“Hm, probably not.”

 

           Press: What about G-Dragon?

YHS: He’ll be working on new songs for Big Bang’s comeback. His schedule has been cleared for that.

 

“Why are we on the phone?” Dara whispered.

 

“Shh, listen,” Jiyong shushed her.

 

“Ssshhuu,” Nabi mumbled with puckered lips. Jiyong patted her head and continued watching.

 

Press: GD’s been involved in a couple of shocking controversies lately. Is that why he’s taking a break?

 

 “They think I’m hiding?” Jiyong thought aloud.

 

“Don’t read into it. It’s a bait,” Dara assured him.

 

YHS: He’s taking a break because we want him to concentrate on producing songs, not because of the scandals.

Press: Any thoughts on his rumored relationship with your very own Sandara Park? It’s quite the buzz now.

 

“I don’t like-“Jiyong started but Dara immediately shushed him.

 

“Sshh.”

 

           YHS leaned back on his seat and kept mum.

Sujong: As far as we’re concerned, G-Dragon and Sandara are close friends. They’ve known each other since they were trainees.

Press: Dara was seen with Kwon Nabi and people can only wonder what their relationship is. Can you comment on this?

 

“So much for world tour publicity,” Dara muttered.

 

“They’re relentless,” Jiyong remarked.

 

Sujong: They have the same relationship as everyone else in YG. Nabi is a lovable kid.

          Press: Who is Kwon Nabi’s mother?

 

Jiyong clenched his teeth.

 

“Breathe, Ji. Just breathe,” Dara reminded him knowing full well how tense he was at the moment.

 

Sojung: We’re not in the position to say anything on the subject.

Press: Are you saying you don’t know?

 

“I bet that guy’s from Sports Seoul,” Dara said annoyed.

 

“Hm.”

 

Sojung: We’re saying Kwon Jiyong released an official statement a few weeks ago which I’m absolutely sure you’ve all seen. Jiyong’s contract as a YG artist and Big Bang’s G-Dragon extends only to the music he makes. It does not cover his private life. YG Entertainment is not in the position to reveal or confirm any information because only one person can do that and he’s not here at the moment.

 

“Remember to get him something after this,” Dara said.

 

“I will,” Jiyong replied.

 

“His son wants a dog,” she suggested.

 

Press: Regarding 2NE1’s world tour, how many countries have been slated so far?

                       

Dara looked away from the television only to find three pairs of eyes fixed at her. They followed her every movement as she stood from the couch and walked to the kitchen.

 

“Are you okay?” Dara finally asked when she was out of earshot.

 

“Dara-yah,” Jiyong answered.

 

“Neh?”

 

“Mianhe.”

 

Dara sighed. “I know.”

 

“Dara-yah,” Jiyong whined. He obviously wasn’t satisfied with her answer.

 

A sudden shuffling sound interrupted them

 

“Yoboseyo?” Dara said thinking the line got cut.

 

“Wooshilsielspa?” Nabi’s voice came from the other line.

 

Dara smiled. “Nabi-yah! How are you baby?”

 

“Dashi!” the little girl squealed happily. “Aposhulmiu weishigopoji.”

 

“Honey, I don’t understand,” Dara replied with a laugh. “Give Appa the phone.”

 

“Eijimimishii-“

 

“Sorry about that,” Jiyong said taking back his phone from the toddler.

 

“It’s okay,” Dara assured him. “Look, I gotta go. I’m with the girls. I’ll see you both tomorrow?”

 

“I’m leaving for Paris in the morning,” Jiyong said quietly.

 

“Oh, I forgot about that.” Dara didn’t know why she sounded disappointed.

 

“See you when I get back?”

 

“Sure. Enjoy Paris.”

 

“Good night, Dara.”

 

“Bye, Jiyong.”

 

Dara ended the call and let out a sigh. She felt slightly down knowing she wouldn’t see Jiyong in the next few days. Probably because it meant she won’t see Nabi as well. Yes, she’ll definitely miss sweet Nabi.

 

Bom and the rest looked at her direction when she walked back to the living room.

 

“What?” Dara asked them.

 

Minzy smirked at her teasingly. “Told you he was clingy.”

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

Bom was about to turn in for the night when her phone buzzed. It was a message from Youngbae.

 

You didn’t tell me it was your song, he texted.

 

It didn’t come up. You could’ve asked, you know, she replied.

 

I thought it was hyung’s, he said referring to Teddy.

 

Bom smirked inwardly. Okay.

 

See you when I get back, Youngbae replied.

 

See you. Don’t forget to bring me back something, she requested.

 

Anything in particular?

 

Tell Xin I need a dress for the MV.

 

Arasso. Good night, Bom.

 

Good bam!

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

2NE1 were under so much pressure to release the album before their tour they've practically been living in Teddy's studio.

 

"Oppa," Bom groaned from the couch. "Are we almost done?"

 

Teddy looked at her apologetically. "Only Minzy's part then we’re finished. We'll send it to sajangnim so he can advise on the final track list."

 

"I'm so tired," Dara said. "I need sleep."

 

"Me too," CL added.

 

Just then Top came with coffee and food.

 

"Wassup we 2NE1!" he shouted in greeting.

 

Heads turned to look at him but everyone was so tired to give him a proper welcome.

 

"Oh, you came," CL said lethargically, raising her hand to say hi.

 

"Tabi, do you have corn in there?" Bom asked hopefully.

 

"I don't think that's for you, Bommie," Dara said patting her leg.

 

"Look, there's enough for everyone but I don't have corn, sorry noona," Top said giving Teddy a cup of coffee.

 

"Thanks man. They'll be done in an hour," Teddy said.

 

After handing out the food, he sat beside CL and looked at her. There were dark circles under her eyes. "When was the last time you slept?"

 

CL looked at him and sighed. "I can't remember."

 

Top felt sorry at how exhausted they all looked. "I'll drive you guys home," he said.

 

"You finished filming?" CL asked tilting her head to the side.

 

Top nodded.

 

"Just go home and rest. We'll finish soon. Manager will take us home."

 

"I already talked to him, don't worry," Top said. "Your place or the dorm?"

 

"My place," CL muttered, too worn-out to argue.

 

"Home," Bom said.

 

"Dami-unnie's," Dara said, sluggishly waving her phone at them. "She just asked me to pick up Nabi."

 

Top looked at her with furrowed brows. "Is there something wrong?"

 

Dara shook her head. "Family emergency. They need to go to California tonight."

 

"What about Jiyong's parents?" Bom wondered.

 

"Overseas," Dara said. "They’re in the Philippines visiting a friend."

 

"Okay, we'll pick her up and I'll drop you home too?" Top asked.

 

"Neh, if it isn't too much trouble," Dara replied.

 

"It's fine," he assured her.

 

CL felt grateful and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. "Thank you,” she whispered resting her head on his shoulder.

 

Wrapping an arm around her, Top smiled thoughtfully and leaned his head against hers.

 

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

"Here you go," Top said as he handed Dara a small bag. "Let me get Nabi."

 

Top opened the passenger side and unbuckled Nabi's car seat.

 

"Give her to me," Dara said reaching for the little girl.

 

"I got her," Top said and took the toddler out. He refused to let Dara carry Nabi knowing full well how tired she was. "Chaerin-ah," he called out to a half-asleep CL. "I'll just bring them up, okay?"

 

"Hmm-kay, hm-ppa," CL mumbled.

 

Dara quietly followed Top inside the building. Nabi reached out to her and she playfully held the toddler's hand, trying to distract her.

 

"How long is she staying with you?" Top asked her.

 

"A couple of days," Dara replied. "Jiyong will be back on Wednesday."

 

"Okay."

 

Dara's mom welcomed them into the apartment. Top immediately said his goodbye since CL was waiting for him in the car.

 

"Omma," Dara moaned exhaustedly.

 

Nabi watched her walk across the living room and plop herself face down onto the couch. Just then, a striped cat came out and walked languidly towards the sofa.

 

"Dadoong-ah," Dara called out to her cat. Dadoong her hand before moving his head under her touch.

 

Nabi’s eyes widened at the unfamiliar pet’s movement. She thought it was biting Dara so she started crying.

 

“Waaaah!”

 

"Ommo!" Mrs. Park knelt beside her and placed a hand on Nabi’s chest.

 

Dara quickly got off the couch and took the little girl into her arms. “What’s wrong?”

 

Nabi tightly wrapped her arms around Dara and continued sobbing.

 

“Neomiyashil *sniff* woshu *sniff* yash…” she sobbed pointing at the cat.

 

“I think she got startled by Dadoong,” Mrs. Park said while gently rubbing Nabi’s back.

 

Dara sighed. “He’s not scary, Nabi-yah. Look at Dadoongie,” she said and turned around so she’s facing her pet.

 

Nabi refused to look at it and buried her face at the crook of her neck.

 

Mrs. Park let out a soft chuckle. “Dinner will be ready in a bit, why don’t you both wash first?” she suggested.

 

“Neh, Omma,” Dara replied. She picked up Nabi’s bag and went to her room.

 

Dadoong wanted to follow but Mrs. Park blocked his way. “Ah-ah. You’re scaring the baby. You better stay with Bambi and Oreo ‘til she warms up, neh?”

 

Dadoong looked up at her and Dara’s room. He mewled in reply and walked away.

 

 

 

 

 

________

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong was in the middle of a fashion show when he received his sister’s message. It wasn’t an hour later that he was able to read it and another hour to finally call her back.

 

The first person that came to mind was Dara. She was the only one next to Youngbae who he trusts with his baby girl. He didn’t want to inconvenience her anymore, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. He has no choice at the moment, and frankly, she’s the best one he’s got.

 

He just finished a brief meeting with Thom Browne and was on his way for lunch when he had the chance to call her.

 

“Yoboseyo?” Dara answered, exhaustion evident in her voice. He could hear his little girl talking gibberish in the background.

 

“It’s me,” Jiyong said. “Are you okay?”

 

“Jiyong-ah,” Dara said. “Everything’s fine. We just got home.”

 

“You sound tired.”

 

He heard her sigh. “It’s been a long day.”

 

Jiyong felt guilty. “I’m so sorry you had to take Nabi.”

 

“Don’t worry. I love having her with me.”

 

“How is she?”

 

“Well, she was crying a few minutes ago. I think Dadoong scared her.”

 

“You’re at your mom’s?”

 

“Neh.”

 

Jiyong sighed. “Thank you, Dara. Just… I don’t know what I’d do without you. Thank you.”

 

“You would’ve found another way.”

 

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Jiyong mused. “What are you doing right now?”

 

“We’re preparing for a bath. She likes the water, huh? She got all excited when I the tap.”

 

“She does. She likes getting all pruny and wrinkly. Bribe her with something… did noona put in her Frozen dvd?”

 

“Wait, let me see… It’s here.”

 

“Just pop it in and she’ll get out of the tub. Works every time.”

 

“Okay, I’ll do that.”

 

“Can we do facetime? I wanna see you wash.”

 

“Uh…”

 

“Her!” Jiyong added, slightly mortified. “I wanna see you wash her.”

 

“…”

 

“That didn’t sound right, did it?” Jiyong asked.

 

“It was all kinds of wrong,” Dara replied.

 

“I’m sorry. I really meant Nabi, not you.”

 

“Right.”

 

“It’s not like I wanted to see you .”

 

SILENCE.

 

Jiyong mentally slapped himself. “N-not that I was imagining you .”

 

“...”

 

Jiyong groaned. Brain, please stop talking.

 

“This is awkward…” Dara said.

 

“I have my foot stuck in my mouth right now, can I call you back?”

 

“Sure...”

 

“Laters.” Jiyong hung up. “.”

 

Youngbae laughed at him. “I’m… speechless.”

 

Jiyong elbowed him and hissed, “Shut up.”

 

Xin gave him a smirk, “You ain’t got a girl right now, well ‘cos you ain’t got no game,” he sang playfully and high-fived Youngbae.

 

Jiyong face palmed himself in embarrassment.

 

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sanghyun and Durami came home just in time for dinner. It didn’t take long for Nabi to warm up to them since they doted on her so much. Dara felt genuine happiness as the little girl’s laughter filled their home.

 

“Sojung’s right,” Mrs. Park said while setting the table. “She’s quite lovable.”

 

Dara smiled at her mom and replied, “She is, isn’t she?”

 

Mrs. Park nodded. “Ask Jiyong to make another one so we can keep her.”

 

“Omma!” Dara exclaimed, shocked at the suggestion.

 

“What?” her mom looked at her with feigned innocence. “Ommo, you’re dating, right? Tell Jiyong boys are nice too. I like boys. Sanghyun’s all grown up now.”

 

Dara opened to say something but couldn’t think of anything.

 

Durami sniggered behind her. “Unnie, no man will leave their kid with you if he doesn’t fully trust you. Or at least sees a future with you. Consider this as mommy training.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Dara asked. “Can’t we just agree that he trusts me and stop there?”

 

Mrs. Park and Durami looked at each other and exchanged knowing smiles.

 

“Nabi-yah, let go!” Sanghyun cried out from the living room area.

 

Dara went to look at what’s happening and found Nabi dragging Dadoong by the tail. The poor cat was desperately trying to run away from her. Bambi and Oreo were watching from a safe distance across the room.

 

 “Dadielshimyon washimash!” Nabi shrieked in delight.

 

Sanghyun looked at her for help. “Noona…”

 

Dara shook her head. Kids, she thought to herself. She walked towards the little girl and picked her up. Dadoong took the chance to escape and scrambled into his master’s room.

 

“Dinner’s ready,” Dara said and Sanghyun followed her to the table.

 

Since they didn’t have Nabi’s high chair, Dara let her sit on her lap while they ate. Mrs. Park started putting food on her plate.

 

“Thanks, Omma,” Dara replied as she took a vegetable stick and gave it to Nabi.

 

The little girl watched as Dara’s mom shared the vegetable sticks to Durami and Sanghyun.

 

“Kamsahamnida, Omma,” they muttered in thanks.

 

“Hmmm…” Nabi turned to Dara and brought the carrot stick to her face. Dara took a bite and fed the little girl with her own. Nabi looked at Mrs. Park and offered her the stick.

 

Mrs. Park found it sweet so she took a bite and gave Nabi another one. Nabi took it and clapped her hands cheerfully.

 

“Here, have more,” Mrs. Park said as she put more vegetable sticks on Dara’s plate.

 

“It’s enough, Omma,” Dara said after thanking her mom.

 

Nabi looked up at her as if asking permission if she could touch them.  “Go ahead, just eat slowly.”

 

Nabi eagerly started munching on her food. She happily watched everyone eat their dinner and talk to each other. Dara could see how amused the toddler was with all the people eating at the table. She made a mental note to tell Jiyong about this.

 

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong was restless at dinner. He was trying his best to focus on the conversation but his mind was five thousand miles away from his body. A few more minutes at the table and he gave up pretending.

 

“I’m gonna turn in early,” he said pushing his plate away.

 

“Is something wrong?” a famous model asked. “We’re heading to the private club after this, aren’t you coming?”

 

Jiyong shook his head and declined the offer. “I’m not feeling well right now, I’m sorry. Maybe next time.”

 

Youngbae knew what was bothering him. “Alright, see you tomorrow then.”

 

Jiyong apologized again before going back to his hotel room. He just finished getting changed when his phone rang. It was Dara.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Aaaaah!” Nabi’s loud crying reverberated into the receiver.

 

“Yoboseyo? Jiyong-ah?” Dara finally said.

 

“Neh, what’s wrong?” Jiyong asked worriedly.

 

“I-I don’t know. She’s been c-crying for the p-past hour. I d-don’t know w-what to do. W-why won’t she s-stop,” Dara choked back tears as she explained to him.

 

Jiyong’s heart broke into pieces. He hated the fact that he was twelve hours away from them and couldn’t do anything. He suggested they switch to video call… he badly wanted to see the two of them.

 

“Is that alright?” Dara said with a strained voice. By the looks of it, her phone was resting on her side table. She was on her bed, slightly propped up against the headboard and Nabi splayed on top of her crying her lungs out.

 

“Nabi-yah,” Jiyong called out to her baby girl. “Honey what’s wrong?”

 

Nabi turned her head at the sound of his voice. She cried even more when she saw him on the screen. Dara couldn’t do anything but rub her back to comfort her.

 

“I don’t know if she’s hurt somewhere,” Dara told him. Jiyong noticed she looked so tired she could barely keep her eyes open.

 

“What time is it there?” he asked.

 

Dara glanced at the clock and replied. “It’s 3:21 am.”

 

Jiyong sighed. “What did she eat for dinner?”

 

“Just some vegetables and a bit of rice,” Dara answered. “Dami-noona told me she can’t digest meat well, so I didn’t give her any.”

 

Nabi won’t stop crying. She wiggled over Dara and extended a hand towards the phone, as if reaching to him.

 

“Hm-ppa..” she cried. “Ppa… A-appa. Aaaah!”

 

Jiyong’s heart clenched in pain. He couldn’t bring himself to be happy that his daughter finally said his name.

 

“Nabi-yah,” Dara whispered in shared agony. She tightened her hug around the distressed little girl as tears started rolling down her cheeks. She looked at Jiyong and saw that he too, was hurting. “Mianhe, Jiyong-ah. I’m sorry.”

 

Jiyong came back to his senses and shook his head. "It's just one of those nights, Dara. You didn’t do anything wrong."

 

Dara rested her head against Nabi's as she continued to comfort her.

 

"Every time I come close to you, Every time I’m feeling you

Feels like I’m gonna dream every time, My butterfly."

 

Jiyong started singing softly. The familiar tune caught his daughter’s attention, but did not ease her cries.

 

Unintentionally, I look the sky like

It looks similar to when you smile

Specifically your dazzling smile baby

My day consists of our romantic drama

Make me cry and smile no, no, no."

 

Dara felt extremely drained but seeing Nabi suffering, she just wanted to take the pain away more than anything else. Gently patting the little girl’s back, Dara started humming to the song.  

 

"Look at my eyes, You see my eyes

You see my lips, Listen to my heart

If you’re listening answer me, Kiss me on the cheek

My memories, Yes my heart, Yes that be all I say

If our lovingness continues a lot

Then we’ll never break up, trust me

I’ll make love to you."

 

Jiyong’s eyes were glued on them. He noticed how Dara occasionally dropped kisses on Nabi’s head. With each passing minute, the wails turned into sobs. As the gentle song continued, the sobs became whimpers.

 

Yeah you’re special to me,

La la la la la la la, Yeah my butterfly.”

 

Jiyong hummed along with Dara as Nabi finally quieted down. Relief washed over him as he heard his daughter’s even breathing.

 

“Good night, Nabi-yah,” Jiyong mumbled quietly and continued humming the song.

 

Not long after, Dara’s hand stopped moving and her head tipped slightly to the side, giving him a perfect view of her beautiful face. Jiyong kept his phone on his bedside table and was contented looking at her with his daughter for what seemed like hours.

 

“Komawo, Dara,” he finally whispered as he succumbed to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: tada! hope you had a great holiday! there was supposed to be a daragon part in the previous chapter but i decided against it. i didn't know where to cut the story, so yeah that kinda .. this chapter turned out really long. thank you for reading, commenting, upvoting, and subscribing! tell me what you think! :) it's my birthday month too, so please be extra nice!! btw, butterfly english lyrics by viptranslators.