What If

Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

 

Chapter 5 – What If

 

 

_________

 

 

 

Dara and Bom arrived at the dorm just in time for dinner. The recording went unexpectedly well and they were able to finish around 3 songs by the time Teddy let them off.

 

"What do you want for dinner, Tokki?" Bom asked looking inside the fridge. She took out a couple of canisters and opened them.

 

"Darong," she called out a second time. Grabbing a can of corn, she took a spoon and headed to the living room. She found Dara lying on the couch, left hand hanging off almost touching the floor, her phone on the ground. Bom lightly nudged her knees and Dara bent them up so she could sit next to her.

 

"I heated the left overs," Bom said taking in a spoonful of corn.

 

"Neh, I'll eat later," Dara said staring at the ceiling.

 

"Okay," Bom replied.

 

They stayed in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, Bom making munching sounds and Dara sighing every now and then. When Bom finished eating, she wrapped her left arm around Dara's knees and rested her head on it.

 

"You've been awfully quiet since we left the studio, is something wrong?" Bom asked.

 

Dara shook her head. "Nothing. I'm just thinking."

 

"About what?"

 

"If I did the right thing."

 

"Jaejoong?"

 

"Uh-hm."

 

"But you said you would've regretted it if you said yes."

 

"I know. Though I can't help but think, what if?"

 

"What brought this on?" Bom said lifting her head to rest her chin on her arm. "Is it Jiyong?"

 

"A bit. It's the whole situation."

 

"You're stressing yourself too much."

 

"I'm fine, Bom."

 

"What about Jiyong?"

 

"You know, he's still friends with Kiko even after she gave up Nabi."

 

"I know."

 

"How come we can't be like that?"

 

Bom sighed. "Dara-yah, Jaejoong is not Jiyong. You can't expect him to stay with you after turning him down. I mean, he proposed to you and you said no. Do you know how much that hurt him? Not to mention the blow you did to his ego."

 

 "But saying yes… It didn't feel right. I just couldn’t."

 

"And you didn’t. You said no. Jiyong… he’s putting aside his pride for the sake of his daughter. I'm sure he would've left Kiko as well if there was no kid and she said no."

 

"But I love him. He knows that."

 

"Well, apparently not enough to marry him."

 

Dara lifted her head to look at Bom. She knows her friend is right. She loved Jaejoong, that’s a fact, but when he finally popped the question 5 months ago, she couldn't find it in her heart to say 'yes'.

 

Bom gave her a smile. "Don't worry too much. He'll forgive you eventually. Just, not right now. He needs time."

 

Dara pursed her lips and gave her a resigned nod. "Arasso, he can have all the time he needs."

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

"We can use facetime if you want," CL suggested, trying to ease the pressure of producing a song at such limited time. “There’s no need to rush anything today.”

 

"I don't know how to use that," Top complained. He’s scheduled to leave for Japan tomorrow and will be gone for the next 2 days. "Let's at least finish something and then continue when I come back."

 

"You'll have to learn to, oppa. I need someone to bounce off ideas with to finish this. I’m busy with the world tour too."

 

Top sighed. "Remind me why we can't let Jiyong do the songs instead?"

 

"Because we're the faces of Fubu and our names has to be in everything Fubu, including the song." Chaerin explained, sitting Indian style on top of the table.

 

"Since you're the face of Fubu and Adidas, does that mean I only have to write one song?" Top said leaning his head to one side.

 

"Of course not!" CL gasped throwing him a crumpled piece of paper. "Don't you dare worm your way out of this."

 

"Why not?” Top said as he tried to dodge it. “I’m not signed with Adidas."

 

CL stuck her tongue out at him. "Because sajangnim said so. Now quit complaining and start writing!"

 

 “Tsk, fine.” Top said as he returned to playing beats. “What’s the concept again?”

 

 CL took her notepad and replied, “The art of two becoming one.”

 

 Top thought for a moment. “How’s that gonna work out for us? We’re both..” he trailed trying to find the right words for it. “We’re two peas in a pod.”

 

 “Beats me. I have no idea why they picked me to collaborate with you. We’re too… alike,” CL shrugged.

 

 Top couldn’t agree more. But singing with her is a first and he definitely welcomes the challenge.

 

“Let’s just go back to work, neh? Can you play that track, uh, number 3 again?” CL requested.

 

 Top looked for the file and played it. Music began to fill the studio. The intro started off slow but quickly built speed as it progressed.

 

 “Yep, it’s this one.” CL said bouncing her head in rhythm. Top started tapping his hand along with the beat.

 

 CL suddenly remembered something. She jumped from the table, sat beside Top, and started opening folders in the computer. Finally, she clicked on a file and the second track started playing in slow beats. She leaned back on her seat and closed her eyes.  Top turned to his side and kept his eyes on her as his mind tried to synchronize the two tracks. They sound completely different but mashed up perfectly well.

 

 Top never thought CL made music. He heard from Teddy and Jiyong she’d give feedbacks on their songs, even Youngbae, but he’s never had the chance. They would often say she just needs training, but the inclination and talent to create music is there.

 

When the music finished, CL opened her eyes and saw Top staring at her, deep in thought.

 

She met his eyes and said, “That’s the only I got but it sounded dope with yours, didn’t it?”

 

Top frowned and nodded in agreement. CL knew it irked him to hear her swear.

 

 “Okay then,” CL said still looking at him. “You think you can pen it in 2 days?”

 

“I guess so,” Top replied, his eyes fixed at her. “Why don’t you write on mine and I’ll write on yours.”

 

 “Interesting,” CL whispered, unblinking.

 

“Yes,” Top whispered back.

 

 They’re finally getting a hang of what the concept was all about.

 

 CL continued to hold his gaze and refused to let go. Her brows furrowed as she tried to figure him out. She finds it odd that he doesn’t feel uncomfortable looking at her. Usually, guys are awkward around her. Similarly, Top felt strange seeing CL unaffected by his ‘intense’ stare.

 

 *Beep Beep*

 

 *Buzz Buzz*

 

Their phones hummed side by side in front of them. Tearing their gaze from each other, they quickly glanced at the table and grabbed their phones at the same time.

 

“I need to go. Teddy-oppa needs me at his studio,” CL said without looking up.

 

 “Me too,” Top added as he typed his reply. “I have to see Kush.”

 

CL looked up from her phone. “Drop me off Twosome?” she offered.

 

 Top blinked at her. “Uh, sure.”

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

Dara went to the cafeteria to get lunch and found Jiyong and Nabi eating together.

 

“Hey, Ji,” Dara greeted. “Annyeonghaseyo, Nabi-yah,” she turned to the little girl who went giddy at the sight of her.

 

“Hi,” Jiyong answered with a smile. “C’mon Nabi, Auntie Dara wants to see you eat the carrots,” he continued as he picked up a stick and offered it to his daughter.

 

 Nabi shook her head furiously and hid her hands behind her back.

 

 “She doesn’t say much, does she?” Dara asked softly hoping Jiyong won’t be offended.

 

He gave her a serious look as she took a carrot stick from Nabi’s tray and waved it to the little girl.

 

 “Didn’t we enjoy this yesterday, Nabi?” she said and took a bite. “Yum!” Dara chewed enthusiastically.

 

 That got Nabi interested so she snatched the carrot stick from Jiyong’s hand and began eating as well.

 

 Jiyong could only stare at his daughter in surprise. He then sighed. “Why do you make it hard for appa, agi-yah?”

 

 Dara started eating as she watched Jiyong continue feeding his kid. Whenever Nabi refuses to eat her vegetables, she would gently cut in. She'd take a bite and Nabi would mimic her. But all these were done without a single word from the toddler.

 

“Have you seen the doctor?” Dara tried again. She really liked Nabi and wanted to help her dearly.

 

"We already did," Jiyong replied curtly.

 

"Hey," Dara said softly. "I'm sorry if I'm being nosy. If there's anything I can do..."

 

"No, I'm sorry," Jiyong interrupted her. He felt guilty for thinking that Dara's intentions were anything but pure. "I've always been asked this when people start to notice. It just gets to me every time. Bad habit."

 

Dara smiled at him. "I understand."

 

Jiyong smiled back in return. "We've been to a lot, actually," he explained. "But none of them can tell me what's wrong with her. I even put her in a special day care to, you know, see whether they can help her..."

 

"How's that going, by the way?" she encouraged Jiyong to continue as she handed Nabi another carrot stick.

 

He lightly shook his head. "I don't think it's working. It's been 6 months already and she still hasn't said anything. I don't know what to do anymore," Jiyong sounded defeated.

 

As if sensing her father's sadness, Nabi moved to sit on Jiyong's lap and gave him a hug. He gave her a kiss in return as he wrapped an arm around her. The sight completely melted Dara's heart.

 

"There's nothing wrong with her," she said she reassuringly.

 

Jiyong pursed his lips and replied, "I hope you're right."

 

"Other than her delayed speech, Nabi is doing well. She’s exceptionally perceptive for a 2-yr old," Dara insisted. "You'll just have to be patient with her."

 

Jiyong nodded thoughtfully. He knew Dara had a point. Nabi listens very well to him. He never had trouble making her understand things.

 

"I want to hear her call me 'appa'. I want her to tell me what she wants, where she wants to go, who she wants to see. I just... I really wish it'll happen soon."

 

"She'll talk when she's ready, Ji. Don't worry."

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

a/n: thank you to all who subscribed and left comments. and those who added me too! it means a lot to me that people are reading the story. don't be shy and tell me what you think. :) i'll try and update more.