Too Much To Handle

Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

 

Chapter 8 – Too Much To Handle

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

YG let out a deep sigh. The news broke out an hour ago and spread like wild fire. Dara and Jiyong’s names shot up to number 1 and 2 on all search engines. ALL.

 

“Let’s make one thing clear,” YG started. “Are you two dating?”

 

Dara and Jiyong looked at each other before shaking their heads in reply. “No,” they chorused.

 

“Are you dating anybody now?”

 

“No,” Jiyong said. He looked over at Dara who kept silent.

 

“…”

 

“Dara-yah…” Kim Sojung, YG’s resident publicist, called to her worriedly. Dara is like a daughter to him. Every senior staff in YG treated her as one, including YG himself. It’s obvious that the news is overwhelming her.

 

“N-neh,” Dara answered. “I-I’m not dating anybody.” Everything happened so fast. One minute she was fitting for GDA, the next she’s sitting in YG’s office in the middle of a dating scandal. She’s still processing.

 

YG nodded in understanding.

 

“We’re getting mixed reactions from the public. I think people are aware of the possibility that you-” Sojung pointed at the two of them, “are dating. Seoul Sports just gave them more reason to believe that.”

 

Being Sojung’s junior, Dara knew what he meant. “I was Jiyong’s diversion before. Now they think I’m actually it, don’t they?”

 

Sojung nodded in confirmation.

 

Dara felt regretful. She was so smitten with Nabi she forgot people could misunderstand. And they did. Bowing her head, “Chesonghamnida, sajangnim,” she apologized. “I didn’t mean to be a burden.”

 

Jiyong looked at her as the feeling of guilt washed over him. He wanted to tell her it wasn’t her fault but words failed him.

 

“It’s an innocent photo taken out of context, Dara-yah. Don’t be too hard on yourself.” YG said. “Unless we say anything, it will remain a possibility, not a reality. Besides, that article was purposely written for Jiyong.”

 

Jiyong looked at him. “Me?” He felt even more shameful knowing that he was the root of all this.

 

“Neh. People are more interested about Dara and Nabi,” Sojung told Jiyong. He looked at Dara and said, “It wouldn’t take them long to figure out you’re not the mom.”

 

Jiyong pursed his lips and gave a resigned nod. He finally understood the gravity of the situation. He was worried of how Nabi fit into this. As much as possible, he didn’t want his daughter under the spotlight. Not to mention, he also dragged Dara into this mess and caused her trouble.

 

Dara saw how Jiyong’s face was etched with worry. Everyone could feel the apprehension radiating off of him. Dara reached over and gave his arm a gentle squeeze. “It gonna be okay, Ji. Don’t worry too much.”

 

Jiyong looked up at her and gave a weak smile. “How bad is it?” he asked Sojung.

 

“It’s all speculation. Dara is serving enough distraction at the moment,” Sojung explained. “When that dies down, the focus will be on Nabi’s mom.”

 

“And they are going to find out eventually, Jiyong,” YG added. “If they’re serious enough, they will find a way.”

 

“What are we going to do now, oppa?” Dara asked Sojung. She was worried for Jiyong and Nabi. Things will get more complicated if the media finds out that Kiko is her birth mother. No, they will be in complete chaos because technically Nabi doesn’t have a mom since Kiko gave up all her parental rights on the little girl.

 

Sojung sighed as he leaned back on the couch. “It’s quite difficult. We address the dating rumors or not, it won’t stop people from asking about the mom. Granted, keeping the dating buzz afloat can buy us time to find a more effective distraction… or diversion.”

 

Dara and Jiyong were deep in thought.

 

“We won’t say anything but let them think you’re dating,” YG ordered. “I wanna know why Sports Seoul is being aggressive these days. They haven’t been so forward since Se7en’s scandal years ago.”

 

“Neh, sajangnim,” Sojung said.

 

Jiyong looked at Dara. “Mianhe,” he whispered.

 

Dara shook her head. “I understand, don’t worry.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

 

Top and CL were being set up at the studio for their interview. Footages of the recording were taken earlier for the behind-the-scenes video.

 

“Test, test,” Top said checking his mic.

 

“It’s not working. Is you’re mic on?” the sound crew asked.

 

Top bent his head and fiddled with his mic. “It’s on.”

 

CL rolled her eyes. She went to him, grabbed his lapel, and pulled his coat open. Top’s eyes widened as her hands reached inside and felt his chest. She sniggered when Top stiffened. Finding nothing, she slipped her hands to his sides onto his lower back.

 

“What are you doing?” he said in a hoarse whisper.

 

CL raised an eyebrow. She pulled something from behind him and answered, “This.” She held up the lapel box and turned it on. “Can you check it again, please,” she said looking over at the sound crew.

 

“Bo-bm ts bo-bo-bm ts,” Top beat boxed to check his mic. He didn’t trust his voice at the moment. The sound crew gave them a thumbs up.

 

Top cleared his throat. “Uhm..”

 

CL found it amusing. “You’re welcome. Why are you so awkward?” She handed her phone to one of the staff. “C’mon, let’s take a photo.”

 

“I-Im not awkward!” Top defended as he squatted on her side. He didn’t like people touching him but he didn’t mind CL. She leaned closer to him and posed for the camera.

 

This is for work, I’m professional.. Work. He kept on repeating in his head.

 

*Click *

 

Top let out a sigh. “Are you going to post it?” Top asked looking over her shoulder.

 

CL nodded. “Yeah, on instagram.  There, see?” She showed him her phone.

 

Top read the caption ‘Mr. T.O.P’ and then looked at her other photos. His brows furrowed as he scrolled down. “You’ve got a lot of y pictures,” he said returning her phone.

 

“Uhh, yeah,” CL didn’t know what to say. “You have no photos.”

 

Top shook his head. “I like my privacy.”

 

“I’m a private person, too,” CL reasoned out.

 

“U-huh. I can tell,” Top replied sarcastically.

 

Is he implying something? CL thought to herself. “They’re just photos,” she said dismissively.

 

“Of you in compromising positions and revealing clothes,” Top countered. He doesn’t know why he’s irritated now.

 

“Oppa,” CL matched his tone. She didn’t like how he’s being hypercritical of her.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo,” PD-nim came in and interrupted them. “Shall we start?”

 

“Neh,” the two replied curtly.

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

YG picked up his phone. “Han. Neh, follow them discreetly. We need the attention on Jiyong and Dara. Neh. You have to buy us time. I’ll give you the diversion when we have it. Dispatch will get it. ”

 

The gnawing feeling in his gut has been bothering him. Sports Seoul is not above the distortion of truths so he needs help from Dispatch.

 

“I’ll let the managers know,” he said finally. Dialing another number, “Sojung-ah, schedule a press conference for the upcoming events.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

Teddy was busy arranging a song in his studio when Jiyong and Youngbae came in.

 

“What can I do for you punks?” the producer turned to them.

 

“Nothing, I’m just… I need to think,” Jiyong said.

 

“Somethin’ wrong?” Teddy prodded.

 

“I’m in the news again.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Dara,” Jiyong muttered.

 

“Santokki? My Santokki?” Teddy was surprised.

 

“Since when was she yours?” Jiyong argued.

 

“Since when was she anybody’s?” Youngbae clarified.

 

“What’s going on?” Teddy asked.

 

“Dating scandal.”

 

Teddy snorted. “Pfft. That’s not news. They’ll find out soon enough that you’re not. I’m not worried.”

 

“We gotta let people think we are, though,” Jiyong added.

 

“Sajangnim’s idea?”

 

“Neh. Or people will ask about Nabi’s mom.”

 

“People will talk about it, Jiyong. It’ll serve its purpose.”

 

“I’ve been telling him that,” Youngbae said.

 

“But.. I don’t like the idea of lying," Jiyong whined.

 

Teddy gave out a laugh. “Who said anything about lying? Look, you and Dara dating… it’s just an idea. People are interested in the possibility of you together,” Teddy explained. “You know the truth. It’s not on you if they believe otherwise.”

 

Jiyong sighed.

 

“If you’re that worried just date Dara for real then. That way you won’t be lying,” Teddy teased.

 

Jiyong stared back at him in response.

 

Teddy furrowed his brows and pointed at him. “Yah! You wanna date her don’t you?!”

 

“N-No?” Jiyong said uncertainly.

 

“No?” Youngbae repeated after him.

 

“No,” Jiyong said with more conviction. “It’s… I don’t know.”

 

“Hm,” Teddy said knowingly. “Seems like you already caught the bug,” he continued drumming his fingers on the desk.

 

Youngbae laughed. “So slow, bro. At least he did. I thought he’d be immune to it.”

 

Jiyong looked confused. “What are you talking about?”

 

Teddy looked at him. "Don't tell me it hasn’t crossed your mind to date her… until now?"

 

Jiyong shrugged.

 

“Seriously?” Youngbae was shocked. “Even I wanted to date noona since way back.”

 

Jiyong frowned at him.

 

“All of YG wants to date her. If she wasn’t so damn nice, I bet half of them would’ve made a move on her already,” Teddy said.

 

“But they didn’t,” Jiyong replied.

 

“They won’t,” Teddy corrected. “That girl’s a keeper. If you want her, you have to commit to her. She won’t date just anybody. Sajangnim won’t allow it.”

 

“You’re getting attached to her, aren’t you?” Youngbae asked him.

 

“Uhm…” Jiyong trailed. “Well, she’s been helping me a lot lately. Not to mention Nabi really likes her.”

 

“Noona’s fond of her as well,” Youngbae said. “But hyung’s right, Ji. Dara-noona’s special. Be sure of what you really want with her.”

 

Teddy nodded. “Neh. And remember, you didn’t do in-house dating for a reason.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

“Mwah-mwah-mwah!” Dara showered the toddler’s face with kisses.

 

Dara and Bom occupied the entire sofa, their legs on top of each other’s. Nabi, who was straddling Dara’s legs and facing her, tried to avoid the kisses. Dara tightened her grip around the little girl as she kept on making smacking sound on her chubby cheeks.

 

“She loves playing with you,” Bom couldn’t help but laugh at the two.

 

“I love playing with her,” Dara said looking up at Bom. “How’s your song? I haven’t seen you around.”

 

“Done. But I’ll be promoting with Bae in a few weeks. Sajangnim said we need to shoot an MV too. You’ll help won’t you?”

 

“Bae? Oh, you mean Youngbae? Well that was fast..”

 

Bom pinched Dara’s leg.

 

“Ouch, yah!” Dara wiggled a bit. She then felt two hands gently patting her cheeks. Nabi pouted at her and climbed over to give her a kiss. Dara smiled at how sweet the toddler was. “Mwah!” she kissed her in return. “How cute is my baby girl?”

 

“Your baby girl?” Bom asked feigning shock.

 

“What?” Dara said as she received another kiss from Nabi. “Just because you’re not an only child anymore doesn’t mean mommy doesn’t love you…” Dara teased.

 

“Yah!” Bom exclaimed. She reached for Nabi and lifted her up to her lap. The little girl squealed in delight as Dara laughed too.

 

It was now Bom's turn to play with Nabi. She continued the kissing game by pretending her hands were lips. She began to lightly poke Nabi all over her tiny body, tickling her. Dara leaned forward and put her arms around the little girl to keep her from falling off.

 

"You're gonna have to do the break up song, Dara. I was thinking. Maybe I can use your…"

 

"Bommie.."

 

"Please?" Bom pleaded. "It's just.. Your life story inspired this song."

 

"It did?"

 

"Yes!"

 

"I haven't even heard the song."

 

I hold on, I let go

I cry like I breathe

What is air, what is life

A broken promise is as good as a lie

When this is over, where do I begin

I'm lost, I'm trapped

You've torn out the pages

I’m stuck, the future means nothing

 

Bom sang the chorus. Nabi and Dara broke into applause when she finished.

 

"Thank you, thank you," Bom said bowing in response. "So?"

 

“That’s not my song," Dara pointed out.

 

“Okay I lied,” Bom admitted. “But Tokki…” she whined.

 

"Hmm?" Dara hummed. "I'll think about it."

 

Bom grinned since it was as good as a yes. "You don't know what this means to me."

 

Dara smiled back in return. “I know, Bommie, I know.”

 

Bom whispered something to Nabi. The little girl went giddy and immediately crawled back to Dara. Bom sat up and leaned after the baby.

 

"Thanks, Dara ! Mwah-mwah-mwah," Bom said excitedly as she tried to kiss Dara. Nabi quickly did the same.

 

"Hahaha! What are you doing... Stop it!" Dara shouted as the two continued to attack her with their lips.

 

That was how Jiyong found them at the sitting area – Bom and Nabi suffocating Dara with kisses. His little girl didn’t seem to mind being squished between the two ladies.  Seeing them happy warmed his heart.

 

Especially Dara. He felt guilty that after all the things she’s done for him and Nabi, he repaid her with a full blown scandal. He noticed how she even apologized to YG for getting involved in such a situation. 

 

“Noona,” Jiyong called out. “You’re crushing my kid.”

 

Bom looked up. “Oh, Jiyong-ah…” she sat up and finally let Dara catch her breath. 

 

Nabi wiggled around but remained on Dara’s lap. Jiyong scooted over beside them.

 

“Nabi-yah, appa needs a kiss too,” Jiyong said then puckered his lips. “Mwah!” he said kissing her.

 

Nabi let out an adorable laugh and held her dad’s face with her tiny hands.

 

“Mah!”Nabi gave him a sloppy kiss.

 

Jiyong froze and Dara stiffened. They looked at each other and then stared back at the little girl.

 

“Did she…” Jiyong trailed.

 

“Uh-huh,” Dara confirmed.

 

“How..?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Maybe I’m hearing things.”

 

“Do it again.”

 

Jiyong gave Nabi a soft kiss. “Mwah.”

 

Nabi grinned at him and leaned forward. “Mah!” the little girl said enthusiastically.

 

“You heard it?” Jiyong asked his eyes fixed on his daughter.

 

“Uh-huh,” Dara confirmed nodding.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I heard it too, Jiyong. Can we please move on?” Bom chimed in, smiling at the two idiots.

 

Jiyong let out a hearty laugh. “My baby girl’s talking!” he said grabbing Nabi and throwing her up in the air. Her sweet laughter filled the room with Jiyong’s.

 

Dara had to pull him back to the sofa. “Stop throwing her, you’re making me nervous.”

 

Bom grinned at her friend’s distress. If she didn’t know any better she’d think the people infront of her were a family. They surely acted like one.

 

Jiyong plopped back down and gave his daughter another kiss. Hugging her tightly, “You made appa happy today, Nabi-yah.”

 

Thinking her appa had finished playing the game, she peeled herself off of him and climbed back to Dara. Jiyong couldn’t stop smiling…. and kissing. He gave Nabi another smack and she returned it with the same sound that was now music to his ears.

 

Nabi then pointed to Dara’s lips. She tried to pull Jiyong’s face to look at Dara and then pointed at her lips.

 

“Mah!” Nabi said kissing Dara.

 

Bom snickered. “Oh, this I gotta see,” she said pulling out her phone.

 

“Ommo, Nab-hmm..“ Dara couldn’t finish as Jiyong’s lips found hers. She felt his hand wrap around her nape as he pressed closer.

 

“Mwah!” Jiyong said as he released her lips and rested his forehead against hers. “Komawo,” he whispered with overflowing sincerity.

 

Dara could feel the heat slowly creeping from the back of her neck and settling on her cheeks. She could only blink at him as he locked gazes with her.

 

Nabi pushed Jiyong’s face away as she wanted to give Dara another kiss. Dara looked at her and smiled. She let out a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding. Thankful for the distraction, she kissed the little girl in return. Jiyong moved to kiss Dara again thinking it was now his turn when she brought her hand up to block him. His lips touched her palm.

 

“You’re not that lucky,” she muttered still blushing.

 

Jiyong smirked at her. “Mwah!” he said giving her hand a kiss.

 

“Yah!” Dara exclaimed wiping her hand off her jeans. “C’mon it’s getting late,” she said quickly standing up and giving Nabi to Jiyong. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Bom-ah, ka-ja.” She turned around and walked away.

 

Bom patted Jiyong's shoulder. “Don’t worry, you still got lucky." She winked at him and hurriedly followed Dara.

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

 

Later in his car, Jiyong looked at the rearview mirror and found his daughter sleeping peacefully.

 

“Nabi-yah. You made appa so happy today. I forgot about my worries, komawo,” Jiyong confessed. “I wanted you to say appa first but I’m okay with mwah. It’s such a beautiful word, isn’t it? Appa doesn’t mind coming after mwah.”

 

His day started right, had a huge bump along the way, but it still ended right. A boyish grin was plastered on his face the entire drive home.

 

 

 

 

 

_________

 

 

 

A/N: i tried my best. sorry for the late update. i didn't have time to write yesterday. this is loads longer than the last update, i hope i made up for it. thanks again for taking the time to read the story! tell me what you think!