Hustling and Bustling Emotions

Ours is a Secret Love


“Hey Kim Taehyung.” Jungkook hollered at Taehyung after their shifts ended and the youthful boy turned to offer a intrigued look.

“You wanna do me a favor?”

“No-”

“You’re the best.”

Taehyung sentence was cut off ruthlessly by loverboy Jungkook. Jungkook ran over and slung his arms over Taehyung’s shoulder to show his insincere appreciation.

“You know, there’s a festival tomorrow downtown and I was thinking of inviting Nabi.”

“What’s that got to do with me?” Taehyung muttered and flipped off Jungkook’s unpleasant limb.

“I don’t really want to ask directly, she’ll find an excuse to reject me.”

“Oh well, have fun by yourself.” Taehyung commented and quickened his pace. Jungkook blew on his bangs before lengthening his strides to catch up with his stone-faced friend.

“Taehyung, help me out, please?”

Taehyung whirled his head around to plant another rejection in Jungkook’s mind when he found himself confronting a doe-eyed, pouty lips Jeon Jungkook. Taehyung clenched his fist and faced the dark, asphalt ground.

“Fine, Jeon Jungkook, what do you want.”

“I love you and your weakness toward pitiful people.” Jungkook leaned toward Taehyung with his arms wide open but Taehyung jolted backward with both of his palms toward Jungkook, motioning for him to freeze.

“Gross, Jeon Jungkook.”

Jungkook grinned heartily and told Taehyung the plan as they strolled down the dimly lit market street.

---

Ding!

Hyuna glanced at the lit-up phone screen and nonchalantly turned back to her TV, which was currently showing two couples arguing. The guy heartlessly tossed the girl’s wrist to the side and proceeded to cross the streets.

“Incoming white truck.” Hyuna predicted in a monotonous voice and popped a pistachio seed into her unoccupied mouth. Sure enough, a white truck came speeding toward the screen.

“Well, I guess it’ll finally hit him, literally, how important she is.” In goes another pistachio seed. Her prediction was proven accurate once again as the girl used her frail body to shove the guy out of harm’s way. Crying and pleading and unimaginative events ensued.

Ding!

Hyuna glanced at her phone again and, popping another pistachio in , decided to pick it up (though her eyes never left the TV screen).

“If it wasn’t for Gong Yoo like hell I would watch this.” Hyuna heaved a lovesick sigh.

“Oh, Kim...Taehyung.” Hyuna mumbled between mouthfuls of pistachio. *Wonder why he’s texting.*

V: Hey, it’s Kim Taehyung.

“I know, silly.” Hyuna shook her head slightly and her lips curled into a ghost of a smile.

V: Do you have time to chat?

Hyuna: Hey, and no, I’m busy falling in love with Gong Yoo right now.

V: Oh, sorry, I’ll text back later.

Hyuna bursted into a shrieking laughter and fell forward, resting her forehead on her knee.

“Are you ok, Pika?” Nabi, who was besides Hyuna this whole time, decided to tear herself away from the pages of her Genetics textbook and inquired about her friend’s mental wellbeing.

“I’m perfectly fine, honey. Kim Taehyung’s being amusing is all.”

Nabi’s eyebrows perked up playfully as she wiggled next to Hyuna and unwound immediately on the couch. Nabi pulled Hyuna’s right hand closer so she could read the supposedly humorous conversation that was taking place. A smile lingered on Nabi’s lips as she finished updating herself with Hyuna’s love life.

“He’s adorable.”
Hyuna had to nod in agreement: Kim Taehyung was such a precious child.

Hyuna: I was joking. What do you need?

“Can you be that straightforward?” Nabi mumbled her question because her left cheek was relaxing on Hyuna’s warm and endearing shoulder.

“Yes, darling, good communication will help avoid all problems. I don’t want to be like that kdrama main chick.”

“True.”

V: Well, there was this thing...um...thing downtown tomorrow. And I was, well, wondering if you would, um, want to go with me.

“The amount of well’s and um’s in that sentence though.” Both Nabi and Hyuna shifted their heads slightly to meet each other eyes and laughed delightfully at their synchronized thoughts.

Hyuna: Yeah, I mean, I have some down time. When is the thing?

V: It’s around 6:30 in the afternoon. Han Nabi noona should come too, um, you would probably want some company.

“Oh.” Hyuna breathed a word of understanding and clicked her tongue. “Han Nabi you sinful woman.”

Nabi sat straight up and pouted. “What did I do?”

“Have you not been reading the conversation?”

“I have, why?”

Hyuna rolled her eyes. “Nabi darling, watch and learn ok?” Hyuna pressed the Dial button, her shoulders bouncing up and down in a giddy manner. Taehyung picked up after five rings or so and his deep, husky voice buzzed from the phone, which was by now on speaker.

“Kim Taehyung, is Jeon Jungkook with you, yes or no? Answer on three, one two three!”

“Yes!”

Hyuna hung up in half a heartbeat, but not quick enough since both girls could hear voices in the background and shuffling of nervous feet.

“Understand now?”

Nabi sat in a crouching position on the couch. Her face was hidden behind her knees so that only her eyes were still visible. Hyuna laughed lovingly and hugged her best friend who was struggling to calm the unhealthy heat that was building up on her face.

---

“Kim Taehyung, you dumb !”

Immediately after the phone call ended, Jungkook threw a pillow at Taehyung, cursing out the poor child. Pacing back and forth between the door and Taehyung’s bed, Jungkook grabbed at his hair and bit on his index fingers and mumbled to himself.

“What was I supposed to do? I was taken by surprise.” Taehyung protested calmly.

“Argh, now Nabi’s going to know.” Jungkook squatted down and buried his face in his thighs, his hands firmly holding onto the back of his neck.

“.”

“Well, you could’ve just asked her directly.” Taehyung regretted his honesty as soon as Jungkook’s head snapped straight up to deliver a hostile stare.

“There’s a chance that she might not have told Nabi noona yet.” Taehyung suggested and the light that re-appeared in the dark brown orbs of the pitiful, ground-hugging boy was blinding.

*For the usual sharp-witted Jeon Jungkook to have such a gigantic decrease in IQ...How in love was this idiot?*

“That’s tru-”

Bloop!
Taehyung held up his phone and read the incoming text. Jungkook rose to his feet and, seeing Kim Taehyung gulped anxiously, approached him in a precarious manner. When Jungkook was right in front of him, Taehyung let his lips pursed into a thin, worried line as he revealed Jungkook’s death sentence.

Hyuna: Oh by the way, Nabi who’s sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME said she had some free time too.
;D

“!”

---

“So, how do I look?” Nabi twirled once in front of the mirror and then again so that she was facing Hyuna.

“Kim Hyuna you’re not even looking!” Nabi hollered at her girl who was currently snuggling with the velvet-colored blanket.

“I don’t have to, all your looks are the same and boring as hell.” Hyuna stabbed at Nabi’s lack of fashion sense without even opening her eyes.

“What?” Nabi examined her “date outfit” up and down, her fingers fidgeting with the hem of her blue oversized sweater.

“I think it’s cute.” She mumbled with her chin resting disappointedly against her collarbone.

Hyuna peeped at her adorable best friend with one eye, snickered, and rolled off the bed.

“This is why I’m here.” She strutted over with her hands on her hips and slammed open the closet door to reveal a 10x15ft space reserved solely for her very own clothing collection. Nabi’s jaw dropped slowly and the muscles around her socket struggled to keep her two eyeballs in place.

“Pika, did your closet just grow by like 100 shirts since the last time I borrow your things? Which was like, I don’t know, last week?” Nabi whimpered at the chaos of colors and sparks that just exploded before her.

“Yesstyle was on major sale.” Hyuna hummed as she ran her fingers smoothly across the upper rows of hung-up tops. As long as they were on sales, 100 shirts was like batting half an eyelash to Kim Hyuna.

Nabi decided that it’ll take Hyuna an eternity to rummage through her seemingly unlimited closet space; therefore, napping it out would prove to be a more efficient use of time. Nabi plugged in her earphones and adjust the volume so that the music would play softly in her ears.

I need you girl

wae honja saranghago honjaseoman ibyeolhae

I need you girl

wae dachil geol almyeonseo jakku niga piryohae~

The beautiful lyrics soothed Nabi’s exhausted mentality as she laid down on Hyuna’s marshmallow puff of a bed. Nabi shuffled onto her right and curled up in a semi-fetal position. The cream-colored window frames isolated her from the outside world and Nabi felt as if she was watching a story unfold somewhere distant: a story of falling leaves. Nabi eyes followed leaves after leaves as they rode the wind to meet the unseen ground and her eyes fluttered to a close along with them.

Her newfound tranquility was disrupted by the device that was buzzing impatiently in her right palm. Nabi retracted her arm and a slight smile lit up her sleepy eyes when she saw that had messaged. It had been a while since they chat, mainly because Nabi had been busy bustling and hustling in between a pool conflicting emotions, one in which she was not ready to get to the bottom of.

JB: Why you been MIA lately?

Mech: Um, things have been busy.

JB: Getting use to your new brother? :)

Mech:Um...well…it’s taking some time.

JB: Doesn’t sound like you’re doing too bad cx
Mech: Well, he’s really...nice? So the adjustment isn’t too difficult.

JB: Is he the one on your mind lately?

Mech: What do you mean?

JB: Your new post.

*My new post?* Nabi exited the chat and entered her homepage, the memory of writing something had completely slid comfortably into her unconsciousness.

"It’s only winter here

Even in August, winter is here

My heart makes time run

Like a Snowpiercer left alone

I wanna hold your hand

And go to the other side of the earth

To end this winter

How much longing has to fall like snow

For the spring days to come?"

“This secret is one I’m keeping.” Nabi muttered to herself before fiddling with the digital keyboard.

Mech: Not exactly, I mean, there is someone, but not him.

*Lying is good, lying makes things easy.* Nabi replayed the mantra in her groggy head. Her eyes simply wished to continue watching and falling with the leaves. It was taking a while for to reply and Nabi wondered if he had fallen asleep.

JB: A boy?

Mech: Yeah.

JB: He from your school?

“Hyuna baby, can you take a break from closet shopping for a millisecond and use your lying skill to help me out of this bind?” Nabi pouted at Hyuna, although her eyes never left her phone screen.

“Sweetheart, why do you assume I’m good at lying?”

“You’ve rejected at least a hundred guys, your excuses are impeccable. Hurry over~” Nabi whined and her left arm made a grabbing motion in midair in Hyuna’s direction.

Hyuna sauntered over and plopped herself next to Nabi, her chin rested in the crest of Nabi’s shoulder. Hyuna eyes briefed over the conversation and chewed her lips in formulation of a plan.

“Hmm, ok, here’s what I would say.”

Mech: Yeah.

JB: What year? If you don’t mind me asking.

Mech: He’s my year.

JB: Wow you two close? :3

“You said was a dude right?”

Nabi nodded her head, her cooled cheeks brushing past Hyuna’s soft and squishy ones.

“He sounds as green as my front yard on a good rainy day.”

Nabi chuckled and nudged Hyuna to continue rescuing her virtual problems.

Mech: Well, not exactly, we started talking more recently though.

JB: I see, so you’re gonna be busy with boy problems from now on?

Mech: I hope not.

JB: Well, I gotta go so chat soon.

Nabi eyes widened and she rose from her lying position with ajared.

“He logged out before I did. That doesn’t happen very often.”

“Well of course, the dude probably needs to go throw his phone on his bed, paced angrily in his room, and yelled against his poor pillow.”

Hyuna descriptive and boringly typical korean drama scene elicited a heavy but amused sigh from Nabi’s rosy lips. Nabi wrapped her arms around Hyuna’s slim waist and curled her legs.

“Let’s nap.” Nabi breathed into Hyuna’s ear and the girl giggled quietly before pulling a well-padded blanket over their torsos.

---

In a different house at around the same time...

Jungkook aggressively pounded on the exit button and stood up suddenly from Taehyung’s bed. He threw his phone against the soft blanket and paced around the room. Once, twice, and maybe four more times before pouncing at Taehyung’s pillow and screaming his lungs to nonexistence.

“What’s wrong with him?” Namjoon cocked his head toward the not-so-composed cool guy Jeon Jungkook.

“Girl problems.” Yoongi and Taehyung synchronized. “Your turn hyung.” Taehyung motioned for Yoongi to put down his next card.