Jeon Jungkook

Ours is a Secret Love


Nabi found her pair of eyes following him again. They have always done this ever since she met him on the subway two weeks ago. He was mysterious and admittedly very good looking. But there was something else that drew her to him. He looked as if he’s a prototype robot, about to break down anytime. Nabi was always a curious girl who picked up stray cats or thrown away objects in an effort to fix them. He meant the same thing to her, a stray and seemingly abandoned object that took her breath away.

Jeon Jungkook.

It was somewhat coincidental when she found out that he was her hoobae who has attended this school since last spring.

“How come I’m only noticing him now?”

“Stalking your crush again?” Nabi looked up to find her best friend since preschool taking her seat in front.

“Hey, when did you come?”

“Just now, but I totally caught you staring at Jeon Jungkook, again.”

Han Nabi wasn’t an average girl, but she didn’t go that far above the line either. Her hair was a dark brown and fell straight down her shoulder. Her skin was pale and her lips often made it seem like she was cold. She has two eyes, one nose, and one mouth. In other word: boring.

But Kim Hyuna was on a whole different level. She has jet black hair that waved down her shoulder. Her eyes sparkled and her lips plump and always looked kissable. Her body was second to none in the school and she got asked out more than her nor Nabi could count.

“I wonder why you’re friends with someone like me.” Nabi earned a nudge on her head with that one.

“Again with that stupid question, I can’t help it if I become friends with you.”

“We’re total opposites.” Nabi sighed and blew on her bang.

“I guess that’s why we make such a great pair.” Hyuna added and went on to stuff with breakfast: a chocolate muffin. She carefully tore off the chocolate-studded top and gave the rest to Nabi.

“I don’t know why you like the top so much.”

“Because it has all the chocolate chips and crunchiness to it.”

“So this is an unequal trade.” Nabi joked and dug in anyway. She knew better. Hyuna only ate the top because Nabi herself only liked the soft dough underneath.

“That’s why I like you. You have no sign of cockiness despite being superior in appearance even though you’re practically a pig. It’s somewhat annoying.” Nabi giggled through her frameless glasses.

“Nabi, if you’re going to confess, you should be more romantic.”

“But I know you love me anyway.”

Hyuna winked at her. “Of course I do, sweetheart. Because you’re so nice that it’s sickening. Get mad once in awhile.”

“I’ll do it for you.”

The two best friends continued having a pleasant conversation; it was cut short when the teacher came in and the lesson began. Nabi took one last look at the window and felt the autumn breeze tingled on her skin.

---

“Mom, I’m home.” Nabi removed her shoes and placed the grocery bags on the kitchen table.

“Welcome home.” Mrs. Park showed her amiable face from upstairs and let out a small yawn as she came down.

“Did I wake you? You should’ve just ignored me and sleep a little more.” Nabi guided her mother down the stairs and poured her a cup of water.

“No, a woman in her late thirties shouldn’t be in bed this late in the afternoon.” Mrs. Park waved off the idea and put on her apron. “You’re just in time, hungry?”

Nabi nodded and put on her apron as well. “Mom, can you help me tie it?”

Mrs. Park shrugged at her daughter’s laziness but went on to tie her apron like always. “You know, one day you will have to tie this yourself.”

“I’ll worry about that later, now let’s make dinner.” Nabi smiled and broke three eggs into a small bowl.

-----

That night, Jungkook went home with a tired expression. He flung his backpack in a corner and deflated onto his bed.

“Are you home, Jungkook?” His father voice rang from the end of the hall and Jungkook sighed.

“Yes.”

“You haven’t had dinner right? I put together something for you.”

“No thanks, I’ve already ate.” Jungkook buried his face in his pillow.

“Are you like this because I’m moving on?”

No answer came; Mr. Jeon walked away with a tray of warm food.

*Believe that if you must.* Jungkook answered in his thought and drifted off.

-------

Nabi woke up with sore eyes, guess she stayed up too late updating her blog. She was unsociable, and only a handful of people read her blog, but Nabi was still happy.

“Oh, ’s on.” Nabi excitedly pull up the chat box with her online bestie; Alias: .

Nabi’s alias: Mechanics.

Mech: Hey , up so early?

Jb: Same to you, Mechs.

Mech: Yeah, today is school after all.

Jb: Same, I just want the weekend to be here already //sigh

Nabi chuckled. She doesn’t use emoticons or things like “//sigh,” but was full of that.

Mech: Ok, let’s talk later. I’m not going to risk being late, even if it’s for you J.

Jb: That hurts me but I’ll let you pass. We’ll talk later then.

Nabi closed her laptop and got up to wash. She put her hair up into a cute bun and added just a dash of blush and lipstick before trotting next door. Nabi used her spare key to enter.

“Excuse me for intruding.”

She walked upstairs and wasn’t at all surprised to find her best friend still wrapped up in her blankets, her room filled with a warm marshmallow and cocoa scent.

Nabi shook her head and placed her backpack on the floor. She made herself comfortable on Hyuna’s bed and lay down next to her sleeping beauty. Hyuna’s eyes opened lazily and a smile crept onto the girls’ relaxed faces.

“You’re here?” Hyuna yawned and wrapped her arms around Nabi; Nabi snuggled close enough for their foreheads to meet.

“I’ve already packed breakfast to eat on the bus so hurry.” Nabi whispered patiently.

“Four more minutes?”

“No, we’ll be late, you hate running don’t you?”

Hyuna nodded with her eyes closed. “Alright.”

15 minutes later, both girl secured their seats on the bus. Hyuna rested her head on Nabi’s shoulder and Nabi rested her head on the chilled window; they were already missing the comfort of marshmallow and cocoa. Hyuna’s stomach tore through the veil of silence and they both giggled.

“Guess you’re hungry.” Nabi pulled a petite, two-tier container from her backpack and offered it to Hyuna.

“You’re so detailed.” Hyuna hugged Nabi and dug into her kimchi rice. “I’ll be heartbroken when I have to hand over such a perfect housewife to Jeon Jungkook.”

Nabi giggled and plugged in her head phone, the sound of Lily Allen soft sultry voice soothed her mind. She tilted her head to look at the withering leaves, suddenly shivering at the chill that spread across her cheek. *Winter’s coming anytime now.* She closed her eyes and drifted off.

Oh simple thing where have you gone?

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

So tell me when you're gonna let me in

I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

Nabi wrinkled her nose and furrowed her brows; whose voice was that? Go away so she could resume her pleasant nothingness.

Nabi felt a nudge and a small “Uhnnn” left her drowsy lips. Hyuna sighed in irritation and blew at Nabi’s left ears. The girl’s left hand automatically flew up and pushed Hyuna’s face away from hers, her eyes fluttered open with a slight smile accompanying her otherwise annoyed expression. Nabi stared at Hyuna with confusion and her brow raised to question her best friend’s odd behavior. Hyuna eyes darted from Nabi’s face to the front in a rapid manner and Nabi turned to take a look.

“Is this seat taken?” A thin voice rang through the bustling bus and struck Nabi’s lungs hard enough to produced a gasp of air, followed by an embarrassing coughing fit. Jeon Jungkook was standing in front of her.

“Y-yeah.” She stuttered and he casually took the seat.

Nabi glanced at Hyuna and mouthed. “What do I do?”

“Talk to him.” Hyuna mouthed back with twinkling eyes. Nabi shook her head and bit her lips, she wasn’t ready for this.

“Talk. To. Him!” Hyuna mouthed harder and Nabi continued to shake her head. Her best friend was being stupid and Hyuna wasn’t going to sit around doing nothing.

“Excuse me, don’t you go to the same school as us?” Hyuna took initiative and asked Jungkook. Nabi froze in her spot.

“Um, yeah.”

“Oh, me and Nabi” Hyuna turned Nabi around but she avoided Jungkook’s eyes “are seniors there.”

“I know, I’ve seen you guys around.”

Nabi froze and just continued to freeze. He was in front of her. The robot that her eyes always followed was in front, speaking to her. Was she supposed to be ok?

Nabi jumped a little when she felt a pinch.

“Introduce yourself.” Hyuna mouthed.

*Hyuna, I don’t know whether to hate you or not.*

“I’m Han Nabi, she’s Kim Hyuna. N-nice to meet you.” Making eye contact was impossible.

“I’m Jeon Jungkook. Can I call you Nabi noona?”

Nabi cheeks flushed red and Hyuna looked back and forth between them.

*Why noona and not sunbae?* Both girls brushed away the seemingly silly thought.  

“Of course you can.” Hyuna answered for speechless Nabi. *I swear these two have that spark. This is going to be so fun.*

“What’s your lunch period?” Nabi pulled on Hyuna’s shirt. “Stop.” She whispered, but it went in Hyuna’s left and out her right ear.

“I have it fourth.”

“Us too, we should have lunch together, the more the merrier.”

“That’ll be nice. Are you ok with it, noona?” Jungkook looked at her with earnest eyes and Nabi nodded. The rest of the bus ride was quiet. Nabi stared out the window again, pressing her cheek firmly against the chilled window surface.

Oh simple things, where have you gone?

Ten minutes later, the three arrived at Yejin High and got off.

“See you later.” Hyuna actively waved and Jungkook waved back. Nabi could only move her hand softly side to side.

“He’s gone, now stop drooling.” Hyuna flicked Nabi’s forehead and the lad winced in pain. “What was that? I made you an opportunity but all you did was sit there like a statue.”

“Who told you to do that do suddenly?! I was having a heart attack.” Nabi pouted and the two argued playfully until they got to class.

“If I were you, I would confess to him right away before some other chick snatches him up.” Nabi thought about what Hyuna said and replayed in her head again and again the scenario where she would confess to Jungkook. They all have the same ending: complete rejection. Besides, she barely know the guy, confessing would make her seem too shallow. Time passed by too quickly and it was already lunch.

*Get it together, Nabi.* Nabi fidgeted and her heartbeat sped up to match the ticking of the clock.

“I see someone’s excited.”

“Gosh, Pika, where oh where do you see an excited person?” Nabi remarked with sarcasm and blew on her bang.

“You know you like it.” Hyuna nudged and picked up Nabi’s books for her. “Now let’s go get me a hot brother-in-law.”

Nabi shook her head and followed her crazy bestie.

“Over here.” Jungkook waved across the cafeteria.

“You’re a bit late, thought you were going to ditch me.” Jungkook wanted to lighten up the mood with a little joke, but only Hyuna laughed.

*It was partially true.*

“Let’s eat outside. I know a nice spot.” Nabi signaled Jungkook to follow her.

The three headed out to an open area behind the school. A huge camphor tree on campus span most of the space and they rested against the tree trunk.

“This is nice.” Nabi let a small smile escaped as she breathed in the fresh air.

“Yeah.” A thin, deep voice replied.

Nabi glanced sideway and caught Jungkook looking at her, she cleared and opened up her lunch box.

*Good thing Hyuna is here to break the ice...Wait…*

“Where’s Hyuna?”

“Oh, that sunbae went somewhere else while you were admiring the scenery.”

*KIM HYUNA!*

“Such a good opportunity, there’s no way I’m wasting it.” Hyuna said as she waved to a group of guys that was fortunate enough to eat with her. “Coming!”