Fall

Ours is a Secret Love

Nabi woke up in a daze and remembered last night’s dinner. She still found it hard to believe that her soon-to-be brother was Jungkook. They would get along. Jungkook triggered a cozy comfort that stirred up a subtle excitement in Nabi, and she was certain that was what having siblings would feel like. Nabi stepped into her mint-scented bathroom and took a quick shower. As soon as she the faucet, cooled droplets rained on her skin and gave her goosebumps. The water warmed a short minute later, and Nabi hummed to her morning playlist.

If you, if you~

If it’s not too late, can we get back together?

If you, if you~

If you’re struggling like I am

Can’t we make things a bit easier,

I should’ve treated you better, when I had you

Nabi finished washing up and returned to her bedroom. She watched the gentle light that shined through her sheer brown curtain. Autumn was indeed beautiful.

“And so are you, Big Bang members and your gorgeous voices.”

Nabi packed her usual lunches and headed over to Hyuna’s house. Of course, her genetically-blessed best friend was still floating in dream land.

“Hyuna, wake up, we’re going to be late.”

“Four more minutes please” Hyuna drew lazily.

---

Brrrrrriiiiiiinngggggg…

“That lecture was really long.”

Nabi nodded, agreeing with her lazy beauty. On a normal day, she would have felt that Mrs. Song’s lectures about the different types of love was intriguing, but today, she was simply too excited to tell Hyuna about her surprise dinner guests to pay attention.

“Jeon Jungkook COULD BE YOUR STEP-BROTHER?!”

Nabi jolted and her hand swiftly rose up to cover Hyuna’s loud mouth. “Tell it to the whole world, why don’t you?” Nabi pouted, slightly conscious about the stares that may or may not have the slightest relation to what Hyuna had just blurted out.

“Well, forbidden relationship is also a thing.” Hyuna blinked and Nabi elbowed her.

“Pika, I told you I don’t think I feel that way.”

“Whatever you say, you were probably nervous right?”

“A little bit, but after that first wave of nervousness washed over, I guessed I felt...comfortable?.”

“You felt comfortable? How?”

“I’m not sure, when I’m around him, there is this sense of coziness. He puts me at ease. I still feel awkward though since we’re, you know, technically not related.”

While Nabi tried to explain the feelings she had toward Jungkook , Hyuna was set-in-stone about what her best friend was feeling at the moment. But Hyuna wasn’t telling, it would serve no purpose, no entertainment. So Hyuna wasn’t going to tell Nabi.

Nabi headed early to the camphor tree and when she saw Jungkook resting against it, her expression changed slightly, a change that Nabi herself was not aware of.

Nabi came closer and kneeled down to the left of Jungkook . His eyes were closed and the autumn wind teased his hair, his cheeks flushed pink and his chest rose and deflated steadily. Nabi giggled at the innocent sight of a 17 year-old boy napping in the backyard of the school.

“You might catch a cold.” Nabi’s hand unconsciously swept his hair to one side, she gasped lightly and withdrew her hand. “I should be careful.”

Jungkook shuddered slightly after another wind swept by. Nabi unravelled her blue, knitted scarf and attempted to pass it over Jungkook ’s head. However, her darned scarf was having a good time intertwining with the bark, and Nabi puffed her cheeks at her failed attempt to be a good sister.

“I didn’t know you were so friendly, noona.”

Nabi jolted back at the realization that this boy was conscious, and he was awfully close. She also failed to notice the fact that her scarf was still very much happily tangled with the camphor tree, and the re-bound pulled Nabi forward.

Nabi’s left cheek landed softly against Jungkook's firm torso, her body snuggled in a complete fit with his and her arms fell effortlessly around his waist. Nabi took in a deep breath in an attempt to recollect herself, but the crispy scent of cinnamon toast filled her consciousness and chased out the slightest hint of sanity.

“That hurts more than it should’ve.” Jungkook’s voice brought Nabi’s out of her momentary delirium, and she raised her flushed countenance to look at him, their noses only inches apart. Jungkook felt the a pocket of air clogging up this throat, although it went unnoticed by the person responsible.

“Sorry,” Nabi muttered as she dragged her body away from his “I could’ve been less heavy.” Her knee wasn’t as fortunate and had brushed against the rough autumn grass.

“Hey noona, you alright?” Jungkook untangled Nabi’s blue scarf and returned it around her slender neck.

“I’ll help you to the infirmary.”
“No need, I carry band-aids around.” Nabi smiled carelessly and pulled out a star-patterned band-aid,.

Jungkook stared blankly at the band-aid before snatching it and tossing it to the side.

“No you don’t, now let’s go.” He dusted of his pants and wrapped Nabi’s hand firmly around his shoulder.

“Hang on tight, ok?”

“What do you meeaaaannn? Wait, Jeon Jungkook!” Nabi felt the air brushed through her cheeks as Jungkook carried her up. “Wait, put me down!” Nabi cried in a hushed voice.

“You’re the man.” Hyuna, who was about twenty feet away, whispered to herself. She headed out a bit later than Nabi and decided not to third-wheel.
Nabi glanced around at the questioning stares of her classmates, and the whispers filling up the air were extremely unpleasant. Nabi felt her cheeks flushed red and buried her face in the crook of Jungkook’s neck in an attempt to hide. Her arms unconsciously coiled around him.  

“Crap.” Jungkook muttered under his breath. *That’s such a foul.*

After what seems like an eternity, Nabi composed herself as Jungkook set her down on the infirmary bed. A light, rosy pink still stained both their cheeks.

“Don’t do that again, please.” Nabi teased, with all seriousness, while Jungkook fumbled around for a first aid kit.

“I won’t, I didn’t expect…”

“Expect what?”

*Expect that you’d snuggled so defenselessly against my neck.*
“I didn’t expect to receive so many stares.” Jungkook lied and came back to Nabi’s side with a mini kit.
“Liar, it’s obvious we’d get stared at.” Nabi chewed on the right side of her lower lip.

“I don’t think anyone saw your face though, since you were so comfortable.” Jungkook teased and began applying medicine on her knee. Nabi replayed the last three minutes to find the source of his amusement, blood immediately rushed to her face as she placed the back of her hands on her cheeks.

“Could you forget that please? I’m so sorry, I’m not too good with public attention I didn’t mean to….you know” Nabi pulled her shirt over her nose and Jungkook chuckled at her attempt to hide her embarrassment.

*Cute.*

“I’ll forget it, since you let me treat your scratch.” Jungkook closed the mini first aid kit and made his way to the cabinets.

*I didn’t even notice he was treating me.* Nabi smiled shyly to herself. “You know, I guess having a brother does feel nice.”

“...You’re right, wait until we start living together.”

“Yeah, wait, living together?” Nabi was caught off guard at the idea.
“Yeah, I'm moving in this weekend.”

“I haven't heard about this.” Nabi furrowed her eyebrows, how could her mom not mention something so important?

“I asked auntie not to say anything to surprise you, but I guess the cat’s out of the bag.” Jungkook squatted in front of Nabi.

Nabi chewed her lower lip again. “I would’ve had a heart attack.”  

“That was a close call then, can’t have you flying back to heaven on me.”

Nabi smiled and brushed her hair behind her ear. Jungkook stared at Nabi, charmed by the soft afternoon light against her silhouette. Nabi’s brown hair flowed effortlessly down her shoulders and a subtle peppermint fragrance travelled through the air. Jungkook reached up and held a lock of Nabi’s hair in his palm and brought it closer.

“What shampoo do you use? Smells nice.”

Jungkook looked up, a scowl almost escaped his thin lips. There was barely a reaction, the girl was simply staring at him.

“It’s called Everyday’s Christmas, I can show it to you later if you want. Thanks again for the emergency treatment but class is starting so I’ll see you.” Nabi gave a little laugh and headed out the door.

“Ignorance is bliss.” Jungkook  whispered as she disappeared from sight. “Even though I have no intention of playing siblings.”

Jungkook shook his head and made his way to class.