Moving In

Ours is a Secret Love

 


“Jeon Jungkook!” Nabi waved to Jungkook and he returned the gesture.

“Hey noona, did you wait long?”
Nabi shook her head. “Pika won’t be coming today, you’re ok with that?”

*More than ok.*
“I’m already missing her endless meddling.” Jungkook said in an exaggerated manner. They both exchanged laughters before heading to the back of the school. They settled under the camphor tree and took out their lunches.

“So, how are you feeling?” Nabi managed to squeeze in her question before Jungkook took a bite. “You can’t eat if you don’t answer.” Nabi joked.

Jungkook chuckled and put down the piece of wingless chicken he just picked up with his disposable chopsticks.

“Should I answer truthfully?” Jungkook raised his eyebrows.

“Why would you not?” Nabi responded without looking because her eyes were busy finding ways to open her lunchbox.

“If I say I’m feeling better, you won’t come and take care of me.” Jungkook softly muttered. Nabi turned and meet his eyes, her thoughts fazed out for a microsecond before she recaptures her logic. This boy had almost convinced her that it was alright to continue being sick.

“Did you just fall for me?” Jungkook said with a sweet smile and a joking tone, though his eyes were anything but. *Say yes.*

Nabi laughed and her cheeks flushed with a hue rosy enough to match the melancholy of the autumn sky.

“I guess you’re feeling better, enough to joke around.” Nabi ruffled Jungkook’s hair. *It’s soft.*

“Let’s hurry and eat, we have class soon.” Nabi withdrew her hand and started eating. Jungkook saw that as a cue to stop the conversation. He breathed an unnoticeable sigh and thought, a guy can only be rejected so many time each day.

---

“ this is heavy.”

Jungkook dropped the box of wrapped ornaments and abruptly turned to Nabi, his face wore an amused smile.

“Noona, did you just...cursed?” Jungkook pretended to choke on air. “I, I didn’t know you were like that.”

Nabi rolled her eyes and continued to waddle up the torturous, three-steps staircase that led to the door.
“You learn something new everyday.” Nabi commented with heavy sarcasm.
“If it’s about you, I don’t mind learning.” Jungkook replied (in all seriousness) and copied Nabi’s waddle. Nabi got to the living room and gently tossed the 20-lbs box full of books onto the couch. She rotated her arms and gently massaged her shoulders. She truly regretted not lifting more weights during PE.

“Jeon ahjussi, where do you want these books?”

Mr. Jeon popped up from behind the kitchen counters and replied with a smile. “If you don’t mind carrying them to Jungkook’s room.”

Nabi gasped slightly and her eyes traced the stairs up to the second floor. Nabi squinted her eyes and took a deep breath to prepare herself for labor part two. When she opened them, the box that was placed on the couch in a semi-neatly manner was...well...not on the couch.
“, it is heavy.” A deep voice rung besides Nabi’s ears. She turned her head to meet Jungkook’s teasing smile. Nabi poked her right cheeks with her tongue and placed both of her hands on her hips.

“Are you mocking me?”
“I’ll bring these up, so massage your shoulders thoroughly.” Jungkook nodded toward the couch, signalling for Nabi to rest until he was done. Nebi chewed on her lower lip as she watched the back figure of Jeon Jungkook who recently took on the role of her black knight.

Nae pi ttam nunmul nae majimak chumeul

Da gajyeoga ga

Nae pi ttam nunmul nae chagaun sumeul

Da gajyeoga ga~

“Hello?” Nabi answered, slightly sad that she had interrupted the sweet melody.

“Honey, you wanna come over?” Hyuna’s high-pitched voice buzzed over the phone.

“Um, I guess, I seems to have some downtime thanks to Jeon Jungkook.”

“Great! Bring some chocolates, see you!”

The phone was cut off at the speed of light. “I didn’t nicknamed her pikachu for nothing.” Nabi shook her head and headed out the door.

---

“So, what brings about this kind invitation, your highness?” Nabi questioned after Hyuna handed her a cup of water. They settled down in Hyuna’s downstair TV lounge.

“Nothing really, I just wanted to gossip.” Hyuna shrugged and sipped her chamomile tea. “You see, as I was enjoying It’s Ok, That’s Love like three minutes ago, I suddenly came to an epiphany.”
Nabi laughed and nodded her head. “Yes, yes go on.”
“I was watching Jang Jae-Yeol moved into bae’s apartment and I realized...you’ve never told me why brother-in-law was moving in with you!”
Nabi almost choked on her water. “First of all, he’s not your bro-in-law and second of all, you never asked me, and you know I don’t initiate things very often.”
Hyuna gasped and shook her head. “That’s impossible, there’s no way I would not have asked.”

“Well, you really didn’t, I don’t know what was going on or what to tell you.” Nabi dramatically sipped her tea, all the while her eyes were fixed on Hyuna in a mocking manner.

Hyuna covered as if she was going to cry. “Have I gotten that old? Do I have short-term memory loss?”

She turned her head away from Nabi and held out her hand. “No! Don’t comfort me, I don’t deserve the title of gossip queen.”

Nabi laughed at her bestie’s exaggerated acting. “Honestly, what were you distracted by that you totally forgot?”

Hyuna turned back to Nabi, the focus in her eyes faded out as she searched her memories.

“Well, last night when you came over and told me about your feelings for Jeon Jungkook, we had a pillow fight an-”
“I do not have feelings for Jeon Jungkook.” Nabi corrected.

Hyuna stared at Nabi for a brief second before continuing. “We had a pillow fight, before we went to sleep, you definitely told me about Jeon Jungkook moving in and I definitely remember almost getting a heart attack and I was definitely going to ask why...but before that...hmm.”

Hyuna racked her brain for what happened between that short instant that could’ve distracted her from asking.

“Ah, that’s right.” Hyuna looked to Nabi with a nervous smile. “I got a text from Kim Taehyung.”
“Oh, alrigh-you got a text from who?” Nabi put down her cup of water and sat up straight.

“Kim Taehyung, you know, the tall, sort of shy friend of-”
“I know who he is, my memories are better than yours.” Nabi pushed Hyuna’s forehead back with her forefinger. “But why do you have his number?”

“That, my dear darling, is a story for another day.” Hyuna scooted closer to Nabi. “So tell me, why is Jeon Jungkook moving in with you guys?”

“I don’t know.”
“Oh come on, I’ll tell you the story tonight when you come over so don’t be petty.”

“I honestly don’t know. I’ve asked my mom and she told me it was Mr. Jeon’s idea. Then I talked to Mr. Jeon and he said it was Jeon Jungkook’s idea.”

“Well then did you ask Jeon Jungkook?” Hyuna leaned even closer in.

“No, I don’t want to.” Nabi pushed Hyuna’s face away.

“Why not!” Hyuna pouted.

“I just don’t want to.” Nabi chewed her lower lip. “I don’t want to hear the reason.”

“Why? Because he might say things like ‘I wanted to be next to you’ or ‘I wanted to be closer’ or ‘I want you to be the first person I see when I open my eyes’ and cheesy like that?”

While saying this, Hyuna was doing all sorts of macho poses.

“Yeah.” Nabi whisper

Hyuna gave Nabi a blank stare and as if reading her mind, Nabi answered with a flushed face. “Yes I’m for real, Pika.”

“You are so lame!” Hyuna threw a fleece pillow at Nabi and she caught it before it hits her face. “If he did that just push him down.”

Nabi threw the fleece pillow back at Hyuna, hard.

“Hey, I was just trying to help.” Hyuna giggled and hugged the pillow tightly. “But honestly though, just ask him.”

“I’ll think about it.” Nabi got up and dusted her pants. “I gotta get back to helping move stuff, see you tonight.”

“Make sure you ask him!” Hyuna yelled as Nabi walked out the door.

“Make sure to ask him, so I can start planning.” Hyuna tapped her lips in a scheming manner. “As if I haven’t already.”

Hyuna looked down at her phone, then picked it up and opened to Messages. She scrolled down until she saw “V,” a small smile played on her lips as she reread their conversation.